Arms & Armor Thread

Last one hit image limit

Other urls found in this thread:

myarmoury.com/feature_gothic_armour.html
michael-engel.io.ua/album329328_0
sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Was going to post these to last thread.

T-72 hit by either of 122m or 152mm HE shell somewhere in Donbass.

And T-72M1 cut open. For those who don't know about these is that modern missiles and AP ammunition has about 1000mm or more penetration, twice basically

anyone can give me recommendations for books? i need a little compendium for arms and armor for early to late middle ages, something with image examples for every piece mentioned would be cool , idealy with side informations and technical data. written either in english or german

thanks in advance.

Weeb request incoming.
I want to see ashigaru arms and armour. Bandits rebels and other lowlives also welcome.

That's why the Russians slap a ton of ERA on everything.

For what the various bits are called, myarmoury.com/feature_gothic_armour.html is a good start.

"Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight" will cover largely what knightly armour was in the various centuries from the 11th to the 16th, though it won't give the the piece by piece information.

Oakeshott's "European Weapons and Armour" gives you a rough overview of stylistic variations and development of plate armour from the 15th and onwards. Once again, lackign the details.

For a really great and detailed look into things, we have "Armour of the English Knight 1400-1450", that'll go into great depth about even the more minuscule details. The scope's limited to what the title suggests though.

Armour of the Battle of Wisby ( michael-engel.io.ua/album329328_0 ) will give you a look at the mid 14th century, though with a decent bit of "chaff" relative to what you're asking for, and with the examples often being "in excavated condition", as it's an excavation report all said and done.

I'd happily get tips about other work here myself.

Yep ERA is useful and easy way to boost tanks armor. For example Syrian T-90 with Kontakt-5 ERA took TOW-missile directly to gunners position to turret front. In the video you can see the gunner jumping out of his hatch in one piece.

Older TOW models have ~500mm penetration and we never saw the make of the TOW in the video.

All that Gropey hate and they never even posted any pics. Say what you want, he contributes

Convenient you leave the rest of of that thread out. The janitor deleted that for a confirmed IP jump. That shit happens, yo'.

At the risk of stirring the shitpot, Gropey specifically educated us on the Roman subarmalis last time this was brought up.

I asked the turbonerds of /SG/ and they suggested it being BGM-71C TOW. The ITOW has penetration of 630mm.

Fuck off clown

Frankly, it's far more likely to be an ITOW, simply because that's what the US and Wahhabists have been supplying to the rebels.

BGM-71C is the ITOW, everything after that is TOW2

the hell is a confirmed IP jump? Never even heard of this

True, I meant TOW2.

Caught red-handed, huh?

Soviet cosmonaut "laser" pistol: Each "bullet" is a super-strong flashbulb used for burning out enemy satellite optics and possibly burning holes in enemy space suits (unconfirmed).

Happens in college towns sharing wireless, and is in the same jurisdiction as people with tumbling IPA's rotating into a banned IP. Happens more often when Veeky Forums has major updates, including the image-swapping fiasco of a few years back

What is the name of the spiked club weapon the peon at left is wielding vs the mounted knight? I have a old GW perry bros Bretonnian sculpt wielding one

Goedendag. Comes from Dutch saying good day to Belgians and waiting them to answer with French dialect. Stabbing ensued afterward.

You realize all this spam you post while he dumps info an images makes you a shit poster, right?

Godendag

So is this a /k/ on Veeky Forums thread now?

Because I'll draw my dagger if so

Contain your assblast, clown

don't remind me of that movie, please

Requesting ancient operators.

>Everyone who likes Gropey is Gropey
If you were a dedicated stalker, you would know he doesn't typically post this early or on sunday mornings.

Dude, say what your want, it was pretty.

>If you were a dedicated stalker
Oh yeah, I'm not. You blowing it out of proportion and vocal denial is what keeps my attention. Guy was caught samefagging and worse, he maintains tripsona and showed it accidentally. I'm not pleased by this reveleation since I kinda liked him. You could let it slide but chose to overreact for some reason.

And the mod/janitor saw what really happened and fixed the problem, but retards like you who don't use an IPEye have to find something to masturbate over because you have a complex compared to an alcoholic clown on a mongolian shadowpuppet image board.

You're both losers, but your anal injury makes you even more pathetic.

Why do you faggots even care?

Haha, what. That's some funny shit. Especially the damage control, apparently these "people" have zero proof of this whack sounding "um... technical difficulties?" bs. "it happens" is a weird way of describing such a singular event.

These are lonely, sad Veeky Forums people, same as you and I

Go read the original thread. The Janitor saw what happened and his cleaning confirmed that it was a legit happening.

Also, please post a thread related pic if your going to shitpost.

Hey KM! Do you have any solid elbow/knee armor from pre-1600's japan, comparable to an elbow cop? Trying to do Nip in the SCA.

>These are lonely, sad Veeky Forums people, same as you and I
Not all of us care about attentionwhores though.

Was there much armor between the invention of the rifled musket and the invention of the flak jacket?

As for weapons, there's some obvious difficulty in spotting who used what, especially since the fittings are often long gone (and possibly with replacements made). Though as the basic weapons for rank and file seem to have been viewed large as disposable, simply having somethign survive until the present day suggests that it probably wasn't such a weapon, even if it may have.

Oh well, polish doesn't really show anything here, so it'll get to stand in for the basic stuff at least.

>You're both losers, but your anal injury makes you even more pathetic
Stop projecting, m8. You need to fix your life first.

Yeah, one person(You) repeated hearsay. I'll take actual evidence over proof-less hearsay any day.

They seem to care an awful lot on both sides.

And somewhere in the world, Gropey got a woody and has no idea why.

Low profile, hardened steel, proofed armor that looks like a vest or waistcoat. The US civil war is where the term "bullet proof vest" came from, though they were expensive, and if troops found out an officer wore one, they would refuse to fight under them.

Also, textile and metal bullet proof armor straight through both world wars.

Not really, no. This site seems to be all about SCA-yoroi though, so perhaps there's some help to be found there: sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html

Otherwise, check the armour archive forums. I suspect there's at least one relevant thread in "I want to be a...", but if nought can be found, just ask and I think you'll get help.

Rifling is IIRC an early 16th century invention, with the musket proper following somewhere around the end of the century, so strictly speaking yes, quite a lot.

Rifling didn't really catch on until the MiniƩ ball and the second half of the 19th century though. Between that and the flak jacket we don't see a whole lot of armour, though French cuirassiers for example where still in helmet and breastplates in early WW1, and there where experiments with various forms of plate armour in that war.

Sorry, wrong thread.

That's very interesting. I assumed that between the early bulletproof armor that was eventually made obsolete by higher muzzle energy and the advent of flak armor during the world wars there was a sort of interregnum.

Adding to , they apparently worked really well, but $5 was a lot of money back then.

>Soviet SN-42 steel breastplate

Also, while hardly bulletproof, not everyone went all in with firearms in the 19th century, so we do get things like this, probably aimed at colonial officers. It certainly seems like it could be good for your peace of mind in Mindanao.

CELT UP IN THIS MOTHERFUCKER

Jesus fuck this thread. Post armour.

Thats the Sears catalogue Union special issue Bullet-proof vest, by Elliot arms. That particular vest in the pic is from the Pitt River Civil war museum. At the price of $7.00+ tailoring fees, it was well beyond the means of the average private, who made between $13-$16 a month in union service.

Stressing the Anachronism of SCA, aside from hiding simple cops under the armoured sleeves of the japanese harness, there has been a fashion of late reproducing the knee armour of a 16thC harness in elbow size. Pic related.

And finished

I asked because I'm making a D&D setting based on the mid-to-late 1800s, and my current thought for how to handle armor is to just change the names on everything. So chain shirt becomes bulletproof vest, studded leather armor becomes studded leather duster, etc.
I'm calling the setting Cowboys and Dragons.

So what all's appropriate for the Arms and Armor thread? Just photos of real stuff, or is art okay too?

>So chain shirt becomes bulletproof vest

Thats not completely right though. Very fine, welded maille shirts were not unheard of for defense from sword and knife attack, as were quilted defenses.

A maille shirt is a maille shirt. A bullet proof breast plate is a breast plate. A quilted jack is a quilted jack.

>Obligatory use another system than D&D

It's just changing a name and keeping the stats, is all.

Like I said. A maille shirt is still a maille shirt and a breast plate is still a breast plate. No need to complicate it.

dropped pic

Do what you're doing. Don't listen to him, he doesn't get RPG stuff.

We generally have a mix of photos of originals, good quality reproductions to praise or nitpick and awful ones to deride but both modern art (mostly Ospreys) and period art make an appearance.

If it's interesting and A&A related go for it.

I don't even have a dog in this fight, but that was the lamest attempt at trolling I have ever seen.

Holy shit dude, step you game up.

Shut up, gropey. Nobody was talking to you. Giving shitty advice to a Veeky Forumser on Veeky Forums is an ultimate insult, go back to /k/ if you only care about the gear, not traditional games. I'm sick of all the trips me harbor because other boards run them out.
If he wants to re-dress a system to suit another setting, you don't shut him down, tell him "use a different system"/"mail-shirts have to be mail-shirts", you help them.
>inb4 "I'm not gropey"
Doubtful, crappy the clown has made calling "troll" on shit that doesn't remotely resemble trolling. Especially considering you're ego made you reply in attack when I simply encouraged an user asking for advice.

Holy fuck. Calm down nigger. You got some deep issues, and its not just some tripfag.

and this thread is a perfect example of why we can't have nice things

>Giving shitty advice to a Veeky Forumser on Veeky Forums
DnD is trash, and the book already has rule for chainmail and breastplates. Whats the problem?

DnD being shit is a Veeky Forums trope. Pic related. Get the sand out of your vagina and play a better system.

But you're a decent example of why we can

Gropey would be fine if he didn't purposefully rile up the trolls.

nah, I'm just posting random shit on a korean cartoon forum.

Anyway, our blacksmith finished a reproduction for a museum. here are some pics

Its his fetish or something to have them obsess in their hatred.

Indian?