DM won't let me an INT lower than 8

>DM won't let me an INT lower than 8
Not fair

k

You shouldn't self-insert.

Why won't he let you?

Not him, but I literally can't convincingly roleplay with an INT of >8.

It's too damn challenging.

My mom has to count the dice totals for me. That's bad enough as it is.

Your DM doesn't want to let you have an excuse to act random and retarded because he's sick of your bullcrap.

/thread

Wrong

>projecting

>neither of these posts made the poster count go up
Hi OP.

he probably thinks it'd be hard to roleplay someone smarter than you.

Because anything lower than an 8 is getting into mentally handicapped territory. You wouldn't be fit to go adventuring at all, as you'd be hard-pressed to figure out which end of a sword goes into the bad guy. And anything lower than a 6 means you are just barely smarter than a dog.

Also

That doesn't make sense

>I don't allow role play in table top
Why are you here

Nice strawman.

I just don't want the rest of the group babysitting a literal retard. It's frustrating for everyone involved and doesn't open up any narrative opportunities that couldn't otherwise be achieved.

You know that's not true

That is blatantly wrong and you vastly misunderstand the scale and purpose of INT.

Doesn't understanding practical concepts like how sharp objects work technically fall under the domain of wisdom?

Why is it wrong? What roleplaying opportunities open up with 6 INT that you absolutely couldn't possibly do with 8? Also, keep in mind that a lot of adventurer-centric skills also work of INT.
You know what, I'll give you that one.

As a natural stat roll or as a by-product of increasing other stats by trading int?

INT is basically the capacity for study and application of academic knowledge, that's why it's tied to Wizards most strongly as they achieve their spellcasting abilities through years of study and practic.

WIS is the "street smarts" to INT's "book smarts", so to speak. The wise hermit on the mountain has a WIS of 20 but wouldn't have the slightest hint of an idea of how to help you fix your TV, because INT was his dump stat. Yet he can still provide countless life lssons and practical knowledge to help people in all walks of life.
Compare that to a 5 WIS, 20 INT librarian. Terrible common sense and practical knowledge but understands theories and maths like none other.
Neither the hermit nor librarian are idiots in any way, because INT, despite the name, does not cover the entire spectrum of human intelligence. You can have a INT of 6 and still play a smart, tactical thinker and methodical problem solver completely legitimately. Anyone who thinks they have to roleplay a clinical retard whenever they roll a low INT score, isn't actually roleplaying at that point.

This. If OP refuses to answer then this is obviously a troll thread.

Your argument is bullshit. Dogs have 2 INT and WIS 12. By your logic, that dog is just as smart as a person just because he has a decent WIS. Actually, by RAW, he has a bonus to profession checks just from his WIS. A dog can get himself a job, and be better than average at it.

Which isn't a far cry from reality actually.

What's wrong with lowering int to 6 to put two points in another stat

Duck my shift up

Poop caka

>My mom has to count the dice totals for me. That's bad enough as it is.
>literally pretending to be retarded

And yet, you replied.

Guess that makes me the real loser, doesn't it?

>not playing KRARG! the half-orc fighter battle master with 7 INT and 13 WIS

It's ok, bro. Have a pity (You).

It does.

It's possible for smart people to do dumb things on purpose, but the reverse is not true. The
>implication
is that, besides being a faggot, OP also has less than Int8 IRL. Get it, now?

HTH

Would tactics in combat and war fall under INT or WIS?

Considering how they're normally drilled into a soldier during basic, I'd consider them WIS-based.

It's been against the rules to lower any stat 9- since 1974 od&d. You have to roll under "average" natty, or reroll.

Knowledge skill, so int.

I think it depends on the tactics and situation.

The SWAT guys clearing a building were trained and drilled on proper building sweeps alongside standard police training. They're using WIS.

But the guys who first conceptualized those techniques and training were using INT with a little help from WIS.

Same works for soldiers. Grunts use WIS. Generals use WIS and INT.

Knowing how to breech, in and of itself, is usually relegated to WIS, but actually seeing the fortification and determining the tactics to actually breech, that's usually relegated to INT.

Because intelligence as we know it in the real world isn't ascribed to a stat.
That dog has 2 INT because it can learn tricks and commands and read human emotions through learning.

Tactics INT, but a lot of battlefield situations heavily fall under WIS as well, because Spot checks would be a huge deal in war, as well as tracking, etc.

And he has 12 WIS because he's just as smart as a human and can be a tactical genius if he wants, right?

Oh wait no, that's stupid and you're full of shit.

Not him, but I think a dog's high WIS would represent instinct and intuition.
Seems like a solid build because the low INT would represent limited ways its WIS would interlock with the physical situation it's perceiving.
Gotta remember that the stats are somewhat abstract, like how STR isn't just physical strength, but also athletism and skill with bladed weapons.

We don't roll stats

Explain. Point buy?

You know

>STR is skill with bladed weapons
u fukkin wot m8

Yeah, and DEX includes skill with ranged wpns. It's why hit rolls with bladed are done with STR instead of DEX, because STR implies that you're hitting not just with strength, but hitting with all you're blade expertise (pre-wpn expertise circa greyhawk 1976, of course).

That's kinda shit then. Even with that extra 1 point (8) below 9, using random gen rules is kinda a shitty thing to do to PC... you know, I'm sure if the other guy knew the stipulations, he'd have been more understanding of the situation.

I just want to play a dumb as in probably mentally disabled in some way character but don't want my stat int to be the same as the fighter or ranger or something
Yes I'm mixing fluff and stats together in dnd but I don't really know
Muh immersion

That's not what I was saying at all, actually.

No way

Ya