What's the worst non-death ending or fate your characters or group's characters have ever received?

What's the worst non-death ending or fate your characters or group's characters have ever received?

One of my characters (a gnome tinkerer that invented a shotgun) ended up staring at an explosion and going permanently blind. some shit after and he made a deal with a mystic being to lose his sense of touch to get his eyesight back. that also made things really complicated (the DM dint have a fucking clue how to make that work mechanicly or what the fuck to do)

so after a failed quest to find some kind of fairy caused by a player using thunderwave in a cave and causing a cave-in killing the fairy and a deck of many things-devil killing all the other possible fairies my character was doomed to be a burden to everyone else.

So i retired him in a city run by a godlike figure and to this day he's still trying to tinker and invent shit as he teaches his ways in his little workshop in town.

Looking back at it i guess its not that bad of an end for him i suppose...

Very first time rping, dm thought it'd be fun to mess with me. Told me to make a normal character, so I did. Everyone else made setting-relevant characters (hitmen) so I was hilariously out of my element. Game devolved into making my character suffer. One player seduced my character's fiance, the others start a shootout at his job and he ends up shot multiple times. The police show up and blame my character, beating him within inches of his life. Last thing he sees is his boss standing over him, telling him he's fired.

The worst ending to any character:

The sessions just stop, and they are permanently locked in place, unable to continue forward towards the BBEG, and unable to fail and be remembered for the great things you did and attempted to do.

an ending very similar to a lot of video games you never finish. only you can never come back to.

warhammer i played a priestess of shallya and another played some knight errand that protect me but at the end of the campaign the knight get some nasty mutation (basicly his squeleton fled his body and become a blob of flesh)
i was too cowardish to kill him so i put him in a well and left him alone

In one of my old RIFTS games the players were in a massive battle with an army of red androids. The battle was taking place near some intersecting ley lines, where a trans-dimensional endless void had ripped open and monstrous beings were pouring out into the battlefield.

One of the red androids was a "rape model" (we were like 14 at the time and came up with some really stupid shit). He had a name, but I can't remember it now -- we'll call him Nathan.

Long story short -- at some point during the battle, one of the players got thrown into the void by a group of androids. Nathan latched onto the PC just as he entered the void. The PC was a low-power demi-god, so they didn't require food or water to live. So, essentially the demi-god PC was raped for all eternity by Nathan as they fell through an eternal darkness.

Kevin?

Hacks!

My double bard gnome tinkerer accidental invented Cylons while trying to work out how to make her electric bass amp/pet dog also cook toast. Like it didn't much bother me but I'm guessing it was only a matter of time before that went horribly wrong for somebody.

My character fell in love and gave up adventuring to settle down in a town we had visited.

That's all I've got. I don't remember the bad campaigns.

fuck those guys, man

Necromancer char I'd been playing in D&D was betrayed by the party, a drider and lamia. She fled as far as she could, being hunted down by them, settling deep into a city and founding a cult within, using her cyst spells to keep watch on as many things going on in the city as possible, eventually mind controlling the local duke with it. She allowed the normal citizenry to live as they always had, but kept a secret army of undead in wait for the time the party would come track her down.

Potential unfulfilled, stories untold.
It's not even an ending, it's a pause that's never resumed.
I'd rather my character die than suffer such a fate.

that guy needs to learn about cocaine.

Travel to the lands of the gods, and stab them.

And, that picture seems to be implying "a life of effective combat training doesn't let you slay the Real Demons of Feelings, insightful!", to which I would replay that nobody is really taught how to deal with such things.

If he ever had friends and family, then he has had as much training as anyone in dealing with life, so him being a soldier has nothing to do with it.

"I know how to plant and harvest. With sickle or plow or hand-cart. With my hands and teeth if need be."
"I have been raised to do these things since birth. But how does one reap contentment? How do you sow the seeds of happiness?"

>nobody is really taught how to deal with such things.
Nobody including him.
Someone that has been delving all of their time into their work, trying to get further and further would probably think something similar once that person gets faced with something like their whole family dying in a house fire.

One of our group's early Dark Heresy campaigns saw a feral worlder go from a tech shy, almost naive Crocodile Dundee to an insane psychopath that had to be stranded back on her homeworld. She gained a nasty regeneration mutation, was intentionally possessed by the group's ex-inquisitor, received a botched exorcism to be used as the key piece of evidence against said ex-inquisitor, started hallucinating all the acolytes who had died around her, and eventually was dumped back on her home planet of Dusk because she was too volatile to keep around and no one could figure out how to permanently put her out of her misery.

>be forever gm
>whenever someone volunteers to gm, the group breaks down due to no one else being able to shut down drama as a leader or just being a lazy shit who can't see a thing through
>so many characters' stories lost, like tears in rain

My character already lost. The BBEG succeeds, obliterates Creation, and as an act of vengeance for his meddling, sets my character adrift in the empty void for all eternity.

The solitude and quiet warps his mind until his sanity wraps all the way around and he becomes horribly sane. He finds a way to chronicle the party's failings and successes. He writes it all down.

Earlier in the sequence of events my character stumbles upon the account while the party is exploring Hell's library, where all writings that have been, are, or will be exist at once. He absorbs the information within the book which sets him down the path to save the world.

And the cycle starts again.

>Character 1
Forced to marry an evil dragoness who turned him into a cursed lesser dragon in order to have full-blooded dragon offspring with rather than half-dragons.

>Character 2
In a borrowers style tiny beings game, my guy got captured by a spider who became quite smitten with him, and wouldn't let him go but also didn't just kill/eat him. Ended up suffering quite a bit in her imprisonment and the relationship with her.

That honestly sounds like a fucking terrible way to enter the hobby user.

Hopefully your games have improved since then.

Well, it's sort of non-death, but my character, who had what could best be described as a 'respawn' power, got used as a renewable meal by a Demi-god lamia

>What's the worst non-death ending or fate your characters or group's characters have ever received?
This one was pretty bad.
>walk in the hospital
>talk to the receptionist
>talk to the doctor
>she lost the baby

God DAMN IT

Two sounds kind of cute

But damn, why does that keep happening to your characters?

Because relationships are one of the main situations that you can't escape even if they go badly.

Also because the DM or group like to throw me under the bus.

Talk to me on Wednesday, because someone's soul is gonna get et.
As of now, becoming the unwilling champion of a dark god.

We didn't get this ending, but the worst fate I have ever read about on Veeky Forums was the party fusing together to create a god/goddess so that the world doesn't die.

Game I got kicked from for outplaying the DM one too many times, my character (taken by another player) went from "teenage battleaxe mech pilot" to "pregnant bimbo housewife".

The hell you can't. Leaving an abusive relationship is hard but not impossible. That or marriage counseling but I don't think they have that in fantasyland.

>everyone in the party but you dies
>new characters show up all happy
>can't forget your old friends
>retire in misery

Try leaving a cruel, evil dragon or a proportionally giant spider that you want to leave because things aren't working out.

I think you and the GM are both That Guy. He is probably a little bigger That guy, but you are not so far off aswell...

Ascending to godhood for the greater good doesn't seem that bad imo

Good for you.

I like being myself more, thank you very much.

You monster!
>tfw not a helpless blob of flesh who's cared for in a shallyan hospice for the rest of your bedridden life, enduring unimaginable pain while they think they comfort you by giving you sponge baths

Having his homeland destroyed by hordes of eldritch abominations. They were driven off in a last-ditch effort that claimed many lives, but the damage had been done by then.

That is difficult but not impossible. You just need a little pillowtalk and getting them in a good mood so you can convince them to let you out for a bit, unsupervised. Then you run.

>Characters survived being touched by an entity that was essentially a conceptually 'undead' universe trying to worm its way into theirs to overgrow it
>It basically promises them life unending in a fetid mad haze of eternal growth through its desperate attempts to infect them and show it loves them and needs them
>They murder it in cold blood at the fever pitch height of their encounter
>Their souls are shredded and mostly gone in the act
>Half of them wish they had never done it
>They feel lifeless, dull, unfocused, with garbled shat-up stats to reflect it
>Shunted into a ghetto where they're miserable with each other
>Then the next game begins

source?

I have one that works and one that's disqualified for resulting in death.

The first is the character that got pulled into hell to be tormented for one thousand years for breaking infernal law. Technically, he's one of four surviving members of his family.

The other (disqualified) was a sorcerer in a setting with spell failure that resulted in mishap. He got the spell failure chance on Evard's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion (homebrew reference to the OotS).

Our party went up against the vampire that sired our dhampir party member and his allies, and due to some bad choices on our side had to face what was essentially 2 boss battles at once. We got wiped pretty badly, and everyone died except for the dhampir, who got dominated by her dad and was used as his permanent mental slave from then on.

That was a painful campaign ending.

You just have to find a good GM man. And if you are the GM, you have to find some good reliable players.

sometimes that's not enough man. I've had awesome campaigns end because we just had too much flux in our players. Me and one other player were there from the start, but we've had ~4-6 other players leave and join. In the end it was too much for the actual campaign to keep up with reasons why the hell these newly appeared people had as much stake in things as those that went through the early shit, so our GM decided to simply start a new campaign.

Me and the other player were sad of course, cause we got quite attached to our characters. I think my Elf witch was my favourite character so far, but alas.

This saddens me, because I know that feel.

If you play IRL you might encounter this problem less than if you play in an online campaign.

Time-stasis nuke. Illithid empire had rediscovered how to properly war, conquer and subjugate planets with their Spelljammer tech. The players rallied their whole plane to fight back, but one by one, cities and then continents fell. As a final 'fuck you' to the mindflayers, the players activated a deceased character's Last Resort, which was an enormous stasis nuke that trapped the entire plane and everyone in it in a single moment in time. If a Spelljammer or person enters that sphere, it too becomes stuck.

It was a little sad.

>character never gets the development and closure they deserve

I know this too well
The one I'm most disappointed about is a Dark Hersey campaign where a friend and I both, to our disliking, rolled for Scum (we all rolled for characters although generally no one knew what the others had at this point)
We looked over skills and such and realized we're basically two shitheads that can't handle weapons well due to shit stats, are too dumb to do anything worthwhile and generally could have only gotten this far in life by lying and cheating
The obvious choice here was to announce to the group that we were "cops"
They all assumed we were Arbiters playing abrasive buddy cops. I was the dopey one and he was the asshole.

Between the group selecting us as the face of the group and my partner asking if our Tech Priest was retarded because he couldn't speak without a speech device, I was really looking forward to a fun campaign

Raped and devoured.

Yeah, it's online, but aside from 1 of them, it was all due to circumstances outside their control. 2 of them had a change in work schedule and 1 of them started a family and didn't have the time anymore.

>They all assumed we were Arbiters playing abrasive buddy cops. I was the dopey one and he was the asshole.
Damn man, that sounds awesome as hell, shame it didn't go far.

Not my character, but one of our guys once sat in a chair.
He didn't survive.