Veeky Forums It is time to Rejoice!

Veeky Forums It is time to Rejoice!

Savage RIFTS is going to be a thing, the Kickstarter is already at $212,877 of it's $8,000 goal, with about 15 days left.

kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/rifts-for-savage-worlds?token=e38ccc40

I'm so excited to be get to use all my rift books again with the conversion rules, and all the fluff material.

Other urls found in this thread:

somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-dnd-rifts/1/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Make that
$284,118 of an 8k Goal.

Free GlitterBoy Preview.

I am hard as fucking diamonds for this thing, and I don't even really like Savage that much, I just love me some fucking rifts!

I've never touched Rifts but I've always really enjoyed this sort of magic-meets-scifi which seems to be its bread and butter.
I also dig the aesthetic. Very "1980s comics and action figures", and it seems like a lot of fun.

Between that and looking for an excuse to try Savage Worlds, I'm definitely going to give this one a go.

Me too, it means I will be able to use all my paper back and pdf Rifts books again, I still read them to this day...

Best World setting and fluff, most shit system... cant wait...

What's RIFTS?

Seconding

It mashes up pretty much every tabletop RPG genre into a big wonderful goo, but then extrudes that paste through a flawed and poorly aged system.
I'm so I don't know too much else. Postapocalypse, rifts open up all over the place, magic and leylines have infused reality, crazy weapons and armor are the bleeding edge of warfare. Here's a pic from the kickstarter page, for instance.

Also, here's an article talking about the setting while also lampooning the book. Honestly it can probably tell you more than I could without just quoting it.
somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-dnd-rifts/1/

>It mashes up pretty much every tabletop RPG genre into a big wonderful goo, but then extrudes that paste through a flawed and poorly aged system.
That sounds a lot like Spelljammer.

>8,000$
I hate it when companies do this, just to make a kickstarter look more successful.

Yeah how dare fans pay more then the 8k. What Plebs.

>That sounds a lot like Spelljammer.
Which is funny, because the Palladium 'Megaverse' system was originally an adaptation of AD&D.

I just can't get over this. I mean I get that people like RIFTS and Savage worlds, but they just seem like a shit fit together. The power scale of RIFTS was just so over the top I don't think its a very good fit for SW.

Then again I hate both the system and the setting so I guess it doesn't really matter what I think.

RIFTS was more like Planescape than Spelljammer in D&D terms. It's a Post Apocalyptic earth with dimensional (wait for it) RIFTS opened up all over the place. At its heart its a crazy ass kitchen sink setting with Mecha Pilots, psychic neonazis, wizards and mind bleeders (yes thats a class) literally fighting the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. Also vampires control mexico, like from dust till dawn.

It's not that its poorly written, per se, or unplayable. It's just that it's not worth playing. It's such an artifact of the time and its warts all really show. It's age just doesn't carry the same, lets call it charm, that OSR shit does.

Looks like it'll be getting to 300k before the end of the KS. Really want that Coalition gear companion, and the bigger Player's guides with all (or most) of the stretch goals adding in is also neat. Will probably back it when it goes over 300.

I just hope they eventually get around to writing up a lot of the other Rifts source material for Savage Worlds, like Canada, Vampire Kingdoms, NGR, New West, etc.

Would $80,000 be more acceptable?

It doesn't take a gigantic amount of money to produce a rulebook, particularly if you don't get the ultra high end artists. I backed a book who's goal was only 5k and the quality is decent enough (if you can stand the furfag shit the book is built on. Social rules are neat, tho). Most everything above that goal went on to fund supplements and rewards. Only the first goal (at $5.5k total) had any direct effect on the book and that was to make the .pdf pay-what-you-want.

I always thought of it as a post-apocalyptic and demonic version of Shadowrun. It's got all that cyberpunk stuff from mechs, cyborgs, hacking. Throw that into a post-apocalyptic setting where a global war has brought on the reemergence of fantasy magic and these portals opening up from other dimensions spilling out demons, monsters, aliens, dinosaurs, etc. Depending on where in the Rifts world your campaign is set in, it could also have elements from genres like western, horror to even wuxia, if you use the almost several dozen world books that are inspired from those genres.

>writing Rifts as RIFTS
sure sign an opinion can be disregarded

I disregarded it for saying OSR belonged in the same galactic spiral arm of "Charm"

>Savage Rifts® is already in final proofing. Your support helps us print the book and make the extras. This means delivery of the main PDFs within a month of funding and the physical products about 5 months later depending on the printer and shipping.

The only reason they went with a kickstarter, to finance book printing.

Would this be a bad time to say that plenty of kickstarters have been wastly overfunded and still ended up dying on the vine.

That's more or less the only way you can get away with any tabletop RPG Kickstarters: the game has to be functionally done, and the KS is for presentation and publishing.

Well after the clusterfuck of exalted 3e. I dont think anyone you back somthing that was not close to done.

Nobody wants to go down that rabbit hole twice.

What happened to Exalted?

It took 4 fucking years to go from kicstarter to proper release.

Most backers still dont have the print edition in their hands.

To date, I've only ever contributed to three Kickstarters. One of them was FATE Core, and I got my books within the year. Granted, I haven't read them, but at least I have the books. The other two were Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

RIFTS BUMP