mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Veeky Forums Character Sheet
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Custom Monsters Edition
Post your custom monsters! Beg other people to make custom monsters for you!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_of_Desolation
youtube.com/watch?v=nnjA4D0Z4pM
enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?387232-Mage-Hand-and-the-No-Good-Low-Down-Dirty-Rotten-Arcane-Trickster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So far I have made Blood Elemental, Boneless, Ghoul Lord, Goblyn, Hearth Fiend (Fireplace), Werebat and Zombie Fog

I've posted them before, but ask if you want one or want me to make another Ravenloft monster

Here's a thing I'm using for the old Desert of Desolation module:

Necrophidis
Medium construct, neutral
AC 13 HP 45 Spd 30
STR DEX CON INT WIS
16 (+3) 20 (+5) 10 (+0) 8 (-1) 10 (+0)
Prof.: +2
Passive Per. 10 Senses: Darkvision 60
Skills: Stealth +7
Vulnerable: bludgeoning
Immunity: poison, poisoned, exhaustion, charmed
Languages: understands Thune
Graceful Mover. The necrophidius ignores difficult terrain, and has advantage on ability checks and saving throws made to escape a grapple.
Dance of Death. As a bonus action, the necrophidius performs a macabre hypnotic sway as it targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see the necrophidius, the target must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed until the end of the necrophidius’ next turn. The charmed target is stunned. If the target's saving throw is successful, the target is immune to the necrophidius’ dance for the next 24 hours.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

The necrophidius is built and animated for a single task, such as protection or assassination. It has the bleached-white skeleton of a giant snake, a fanged human skull, and constantly whirling, milk-white eyes. Its bones are warm to the touch. The necrophidius is odorless and absolutely silent; the skeleton makes no noise, even when slithering across a floor strewn with leaves. A necrophidius is constantly moving with a macabre grace.
A necrophidius doesn't require air, food, drink, or sleep.

Forgot his CR.

CR2. Better used in groups against higher level PCs, but could be used as a solo encounter for lower level PCs.

And here's a custom NPC evil cleric:

Zomara
Cleric of Tiamat
Medium humanoid (drow),chaotic evil CR 5
AC 13 HP 101 Spd 30
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 10 (+0) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 18 (+4) 12 (+1)
Proficiency: +3
Passive Per. 13
Skills: Medicine +8, Religion +4, Survival +8
Languages: Symbayan, Undercommon, Elvish
Fey Ancestry. Zomara has advantage on saving throws
against being charmed, and magic can’t put her to sleep.
Sunlight Sensitivity. Zomara has disadvantage on attack
rolls when she or her target is in sunlight.
Divine Eminence. As a bonus action, Zomara can
expend a spell slot to cause her melee weapon attacks to magically deal an extra 10 (3d6) necrotic damage to a target on a hit. This benefit lasts until the end of the turn. If Zomara expends a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each level above 1st.
Spellcasting. Tawfiq is a 13th level spellcaster. Her
spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following cleric spells prepared:
Cantrips (at will): Mending, Sacred Flame, Light, Guidance, Spare the Dying
1st (4): command, inflict wounds, shield of faith, false life, ray of sickness
2nd (3): hold person, spiritual weapon, blindness/deafness, ray of enfeeblement
3rd (3): dispel magic, spirit guardians, animate dead, vampiric touch
4th (3): blight, death ward (pre-cast)
5th (2): antilife shell, cloudkill
6th (1): Harm, Word of Recall
Necrotic Spear. +6 to hit, 1d6/1d8+3 bludgeoning, 2d6 necrotic.
Possessions chain shirt, priest’s pack, necrotic spear, waterskin (½ gallon), 2d12 gp.

Surprisingly, if you follow the custom monster rules, high level casters don't come out to a very high CR at all.

Spell descriptions for ultimate lazy DMing.

Command [1] 60’. V. 1 rd. Approach, drop item, flee, grovel (fall prone), halt (no actions). +1 creature/slot. Wis saves.
Inflict Wounds [1] T. VS. Spell attack, 3d10 necrotic. +1d10/slot
False Life [1] S. VSM. 1hr. 1d4+4 temporary hp. +5/lvl>1.
Ray of Sickness [1] 60’. VS. spell attack, 2d8 poison. Con save or poisoned until end of caster’s next turn. +1d8/slot.
Blindness/Deafness [2] 30’. V. 1 min. Con save or blind or deafened.
Hold Person [2] 60’. VSM. Conc./1 min. Paralyzed, Wis save each turn. +1 target within 30’ per slot above 2.
Spiritual Weapon [2] 60’. VS. 1 min. Floating weapon, attack immediately 1d8+Mod force, 5’. Bonus action move 20’ and attack. +1d8 per two slots above 2nd.
Ray of Enfeeblement [2] 60’. VS. Conc/1 min. Ranged attack, ½ damage with strength attacks. Con save at end of each turn.
Animate Dead [3] 10’. VSM. 24hrs. Create skeleton (from bones) or zombie (from corpse). Bonus action to command any or all thralls. Creature defends itself if not ordered. Can cast again to reassert control on 4 creatures. +2 creatures per slot >3.
Vampiric Touch [3] T. VS. Conc/1min. Melee spell attack, 3d6 necrotic and regain ½ amount dealt. +1d6/lvl>3.

did you do step 13

Continued:

Dispel Magic [3] 120’. VS. One creature, or magical effect. Any spell 4.
Death Ward [4] T. VS. 8h. When target drops to 0 HP, instead drop to 1 HP.
Anti-Life Shell [5] S,10’. VS. Conc/1hr. Only undead and constructs may pass.
Cloudkill [5] 120’, 20’r. VS. Conc/10min. Heavily obscured. 5d8 poison damage, Con ½. Moves forward 10’ per turn, sinks. +1d8/slot >5.
Harm [6] 60’. VS. 14d6 necrotic, reduces max HP. Can’t reduce below 1 HP. Con ½ and max HP not reduced.
Word of Recall [6] 5'r. V. Caster and 5 willing creatures teleport to prearranged sanctuary.

you forgot hit die

also all elves are proficient with Perception.

And drow have Drow Spellcasting

Yep. Take the average damage for Harm and two castings of Cloudkill (best she can do in the first 3 rounds) and divide by three, that's pretty good for a CR7 creature. Her defenses are those of a CR3, because I dislike long-slog combats. (7+3)/2=5, so she should be street legal. Check my math, though.

Is her name Zomara or Tawfiq? What the hell is Symbayan

what about darkvision

>you forgot hit die

Didn't forget it, because I don't care about it for an enemy NPC. She has no mechanics that use hit dice and will never need that information. If I *really* need to give her a short rest, she's a 13th level cleric, so she has 13 hit dice.

>also all elves are proficient with Perception.

Mein badt. Copy-pasted from a human and just rearranged the spells a bit.

>And drow have Drow Spellcasting

Not significant enough to put in the stat block, but feel free to add that in if you want to use it.

>Is her name Zomara or Tawfiq?

Tawfiq is a copy paste error. In any case, I'm sure you'd change the name yourself if you use it.

>What the hell is Symbayan

A language spoken by the Symbayan people.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_of_Desolation

>what about darkvision

Forgot it. I'm sure I'd remember her darkvision if it became relevant.

I don't like your cavalier attitude towards monster stat blocks. Where would we be if WotC made the Monster Manual with the same attitude

It has the choice of one. Or any other simple weapon

Thurnas Netmaser
Slaver Leader
Medium humanoid (human), lawful evil CR 10
AC 16 HP 176 Spd 30
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 11 (+0) 16 (+3) 10 (+0) 11 (+0) 13 (+1)
Prof: +4
Passive Per. 10
Skills: Intimidation +5, Athletics +8
Languages: Thune, Symbayan
Second Wind (Recharge after short or long rest). Thurnas
can use a bonus action to regain 1d10 + 8 hit points.
Action Surge (Recharge after short or long rest). Thurnas
may take one additional action on his turn.
Maneuvers (Recharge after short or long rest). Thurnas
has 5d8 superiority dice he can spend to perform one of
three special maneuvers.
•Evasive Footwork Spend one die during
movement, roll it and add to Thurnas’ AC until
the end of his next turn.
•Riposte When an attacker misses Thurnas with a
melee attack, he can use a reaction and spend a
die to make a melee attack against the opponent.
Roll the die and add it to the weapon damage.
•Trip Attack When Thurnas hits with a melee
attack, spend a die and add it to the damage. The
target must succeed at a DC 17 Strength saving
throw or be knocked prone.
Multiattack. Thurnas can make two melee attacks.
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5
ft., one target. Hit: 25 (3d6+15) slashing damage.
Possessions Chain mail, shield, scimitar, waterskin (½ gallon), 2d12 gp.

This guy doesn't follow player math for how much damage his scimitar does, but NPCs don't really have to follow player math. If your players start asking questions, tell them it's magic or something.

Don't use the stat block then. Post material that puts my shitty NPCs to shame, by all means.

>Hit: 25 (3d6+15) slashing damage.

A CR 10 creature is supposed to do 63-68 damage per round. Two attacks that average 25, plus a couple of d8s for superiority dice, that'll get you in range. But like I said, if you want some sort of a reason why he should hit as hard as a CR 10 monster, feel free to make one up.

Looking at it again, though, He's supposed to have the attack values of a CR 12 and defenses of a CR 8, so... probably he should have 3 attacks, that's closer to 75-80 per round.

With action surge he does 4 lots of 25 damage, adding a d8 to each and can also riposte to do 25+1d8 damage

So 125+5d8 = 148 damage in one round, or the same damage as a CR21 creature

And if you made it 3, thats an extra 50 damage for 198 in a single round or the same as a CR 24 creature.

Why on gods green earth would you have a slaver with a 1/2 gallon waterskin and 2d12gp do the same damage in a round as an ancient gold dragon

Fun times

Bad math would be the reason. Thanks for pointing that out!

I'd love to steal that, but my campaign is already ripping of DS really hard. I don't want my players to roll their eyes too much.

Honestly they are zero threat. With a measly +2 to hit and becoming incapacitated after their attack your players will just rape them

Give them +4 to hit and Proficiency with Stealth

I think the math here is using the maximum damage from the dice, rather than the average. Page 277 of the DMG indicates that we're meant to look at average damage, rather than maximum.

Running the numbers again, I'm shooting for 75-80 damage per round, or rather, 225 in the first three rounds.

He can do up to 5 attacks in his first round, each with a superiority die on it. Second and third round he'd be out of superiority dice and unable to riposte, so that's just 2 attacks for each of those.

The superiority dice alone do an average of 20 damage, so his nine attacks need to do the remaining 205. 205/9=22.7

So... I think the math works out as is, with the two attacks. Might want to drop it to 3d6+12 just to be on the kind side of things.

But hey, I might be wrong. That's why I'm showing my work on the math here.

THE AVERAGE OF HIS FUCKING SCIMITAR IS 25

HE MAKES TWO ATTACKS AND CAN ACTION SURGE FOR 4 ADDING A d8 TO EACH HE THEN MAKES A RIPOSTE FOR ANOTHER 25 DAMAGE AND A d8 FOR A TOTAL OF 148 DAMAGE IN A ROUND

COCKSUCKER

Beyond anything else after your players kill this guy (probably after having a few people drop to 0) they will be ASTOUNDED by their reward of 2d12gp and a waterskin

So if I wanted to make the very best out of a melee focused Valor Bard with stolen smites from the paladin, would I use a longsword, great sword or polearm (since taking a hand off is viable) or grab a shield and get warcaster? Weapon proficiency is a nonissue. There will be a ranged hunter and a melee battlemaster but tactically they want me on the front line as well.

Hey Anons, guy learning the game, trying to DM here again. Had some more questions:

1. What kind of expectations should I set up for my group(s)? I was thinking of pointing out that the game is best played where everybody accepts that they're part of a team, and not Solo McEdgeblade.

2. Are there any classes/races that I should ban, or at least discourage? From what I can tell:

-Drow, Dragonborn, and Tieflings attract special snowflakes. (They're balanced gameplay-wise, right? It's *only* the players they attract?)

-Fighters are usually shit

-Rangers are often shit

-Monks can be shit

-Spellcasters are OP

How much of the above is true? And should I just let people suck it up if they choose a shitty race/class, and let them learn?

Guess I should say I'm trying to make a str based character viable rather than grab a rapier for the 12th time.

let people pick whatever they want

if they don't want to be in a team they can go solo and be raped by bandits

Let's go another round here:

When enemies do different amounts of damage on subsequent rounds, you're meant to average the damage out over three rounds of using their best attacks. He needs to do 225 damage in the first 3 rounds in order to have CR 12 offenses.

5 superiority dice is 5d8, an average of 20.

He can do five attacks in the first round, which is 25*5, 125. So he'll do 145, on average, in his first round.

Second round, he'll do an average of 50, because he'll have used all five of his superiority dice.

Third round, he'll do an average of 50 again.

50+50+145=245.

So you're right, he's going to do 20 more damage than he ought to. It's easiest to cut those 20 points from his base attack damage, so I could remove 2 points from his average attack damage. 2*9=18, and that'll get him right about in range. Or remove 3 points and, as I indicated here , do 3d6+12.

Fighters nova pretty hard if you let them. I'd probably space out the superiority dice over three rounds, just to be nice, but I think the math is more or less good here.

As for the treasure, I generally don't like to have NPCs carrying around a bunch of incredible magical doodads. He keeps his stuff in a chest in his quarters, which is where the PCs are most likely to find him.

I get that you're mad, but I'm pretty sure he's doing roughly the amount of damage that the DMG calls for. By all means, though, show me where my math is wrong. If I'm wrong, I'd like to be set right.

None of the above

Don't listen to the memesters, those things would have been true of 3.pf but not of 5e

Drow, dragonborn and tieflings are fine unless the player is actively trying to be a special snowflake

Fighters are amazing

Rangers are balanced but people don't like their design

Monks are great, only wot4e lags behind by a small abount

Spellcasters are balanced, except for wizards, but even then they die to a stiff breeze

>Are there any classes/races that I should ban, or at least discourage? From what I can tell:

Don't listen to a bunch of butthurt basement dwellers on which races are 'meme' races or 'that guy' races. Let people play what they want, and talk to them if their behavior is problematic.

>-Fighters are usually shit

Totally disagree. Fighters do great damage and have neat maneuvers.

>-Rangers are often shit

Kind of. They're a little behind the curve, but not as much as Veeky Forums's sperg rage would have you believe. Beastmaster needs a little bit of help, that's all—just have the animal companion get it's own actions and death saves, and that's probably enough.

>-Monks can be shit

4 elements monks are kind of lackluster, but the rest are pretty good.

>-Spellcasters are OP

Not nearly as much as in 3.5 or Pathfinder, largely because the concentration rules have constrained them a lot. They have a lot more utility, though, so you should consider giving non-casters magic items that give them more options.

He saves a riposte for every round add another 50+2d8

Cool, thanks. Follow-up question, out of curiosity. Is there a good article/summary of the history of D&D rules, and what was improved/worsened in each edition? I'm kinda fascinated by the game history/balance.

as always everything depends on you and the group you're playing with.
other than that, point nr1 is good to tell your players
for the races, drow are relatively strong compared to other races because of their spells but thats countered by the weakness they have to sunlight, but in my personal opinion all drow are evil and the only reason drow are a player race is so WoTC can sell more Drizzt books.
tieflings are a major edgelord magnet and i don't like them personally.
dragonborn I have less problems with and mostly they make good paladins/martials.
as for the classes, fighters (battle masters) are pretty decent with good base damage and some control option with their manoeuvrers, champions i believe deal some of the highest damage in the game, although IMO they are very boring with few out of combat options and combat basically coming down to spamming attack action.
Rangers are indeed a bit lackluster as confirmed by WoTC.
monks are shit, have always been shit and will always be shit take your wushu bullshit out of my generic medieval fantasy
spellcasters are less OP then they were in 3.PF but still offer the largest variety of skill sets/ problem solving capabilities. this is a consequence of vancian casting and inherent in D&D.
then again I'm just some random user on the internet, the only real avice i can give you as a Dm is always communicate and talk with your players as adults. the only way to play D&D wrong is if you're not having fun or ruining other peoples fun.

>take your wushu bullshit out of my generic medieval fantasy
>he doesn't know two of King Arthur's knights and one of Charlemagne's paladins (and two more supporting characters) were trained in exotic Cathay

But you're cutting the 2d8 from the first round, so there's no change in the amount of damage from superiority dice. If he does that, then he has 11 attacks. 205/11=18.63, so he should do 3d6+9 in that case. Ripostes are an awful lot less reliable, though, because someone in melee range has to miss him, so I think it's probably reasonable to leave him at 22 average damage with 3d6+12. In that case he'd either try to nova:

110+20 in the first round, then 44 in each subsequent rounds, for a total of 110+20+44+44=218
218/3=72.666, right in the range for a CR 12.
Averaging CR 8 defenses and CR 12 offenses, we get (12+8)/2=10

Or he'll save his dice for ripostes, and assuming he can make those happen:
110+11 in the first round, 66+4.5 in each subsequent round. 110+11+66+4.5+66+4.5=262
262/3=87.333, which would be the bottom end of CR14.

So since he has the defenses of a CR 8 creature, (14+8)/2=CR 11. I don't think that would make a massive difference for my group of five, sometimes six players.

He'd probably be able to knock someone down to zero, but they'd take him out, patch up the downed player, and keep on truckin'. And he'd be an absolutely pathetic challenge after his superiority dice run out, because he's down to 44 damage per round, and that's CR 6 range.

>take your wushu bullshit out of my generic medieval fantasy

Take your generic medieval fantasy out of my mix of Yoruba and Vodun mythology.

>mix of yoruba and vodun
Mah arakunrin

>Yoruba and Vodun mythology.
I'm unfamiliar with this but yes let's keep them separate, there's a time and place for everything

Haven't watched it myself, but his other videos are pretty good:

youtube.com/watch?v=nnjA4D0Z4pM

Five other people in thread and not one will comment on how to make the best strength Gish. They'd rather argue over a badly designed NPCs DPR.

Rad. Just tell your players there are no monks from !NotHolyRomanEmpire, and I'll tell my players that there's no heavy armor in !NotWestAfrica

Give him a high strength stat, proficiency in some weapons, and a class with spellcasting ability. There you go. Take your pick of bard, eldritch knight, or mountain dwarf + any spellcasting class at all.

Blade pact warlock is okay as well, although I'm not sure whether you'd call that a gish properly. It's kind of a fuzzy term. Must have arcane magic and melee combat abilities, right?

>Custom Monsters
Our DM has these cloaked wraith-like things he calls "Goths"

They only have 4 HP, and they have to charge their main attack, but it always hits and does 1d20 damage. Apparently there are more varieties to them that our party hasn't seen yet

You're a young child that is living with your mother and father in a small farming community. Suddenly orcs attack. You're not very strong, but you're smart. You saw mom and dad get butchered, but the orcs haven't noticed you yet. They will proceed to burn down every home after they loot them and kill those inside. Assuming you survived, how did you do it?

climb up a tree

>tfw my DM hates monks because he thinks they're too good

I only played once as a monk in a one-off he ran. He's kind of "that DM" and doesn't like to give players happy endings. I easily killed his boss and he had the ceiling cave in on me.

If Batman has taught me anything is that it doesn't matter you're an ant among Gods, if you're smart you can beat anyone even in their own fields, so I just beat the orcs using martial arts, pressure points and preptime.

It's basically up to you? Presumably you're going two levels into Paladin for Smite and Fighting Style, right? Whether to be sword and shield or great weapon is mostly a choice of offence vs defence. Going with a halberd is a thing too although it requires more feats (Polearm Master, Sentinel, maybe GWM) so probably isn't the best idea for you with your two main stats and implicitly multiclassed build.

I'd suggest sword and shield, I think.

>preptime
You don't have any of this unfortunately.

Do I have 1 second? 1 attosecond? that's enough, I'm smart, I win. Also, if my character is smart he already has contingency plans prepared for this exact situation.

You're a small child, you're smart. You've never seen orcs before, but you've heard stories. You didn't think they were real. Just monsters mom and dad told you about to keep you from straying too far off on your own. You also aren't strong, by that I mean you aren't a fighter.
The raid on the village came as a surprise one evening before dinner.
You could probably outsmart the orcs. You're smarter than them, you think. But no way could you take one down by fighting it directly.

I'm like Black Panther, I've trained my whole life to face the unknown.
Also I don't care I'm not strong, Batman isn't strong and he can punch through Hulk.

>I have trained my whole life to face the unknown.
Okay, small child. What have you learned during your 9 years on the farm?

Every martial art in the multiverse and mastered every science.

Shit son. Alright. Roll for attack.
With advantage.

>Imagining right now a little shit talking like that to an orc horde
>Actually backing his words with actions

>that 9 year old kid is a lv20 monk with epic boons

Anyone have a good homebrew for kobolds as a playable race?

Except that could leave the build broken or at best overlapping abilities and features that all compete with your action economy. I want the best strength based Gish. If that's a multiclass or a bard or an Eldritch Knight I'm just trying to figure out to best way to do it.

you could try rallying the local villagers to fight back

I would hide in every small hiding spot I've noticed throughout the village and sneak my way out of the village. I would also carry some small stones to use as distraction creators if and when it is absolutely necessary.

As a side note I would try to take mental notes on every easily distinguished orc for my future revenge.

How about college of swords bard/paladin of the crown? Is war caster essential for a sword and board Gish?

Oh, an optimization question. Well yeah, that's why I wasn't responding to you before. Optimization in 5e is trivially simple and boring. Just make a sorclock with pact of the blade if you want to be the bestest guy evar.

That's too much Eldritch blast for me.
The only optimization I want is to keep on par with the martial and not screw myself out of action economy each turn.

>trying to bring back the sorclock meme
It feels like the beginning of 2015 all over again

>pact of the blade
>bestest
Lel, only if you have incredible rolls, without them tome with shillelagh is better in 99% of the cases

user...
Other user...
Tear down this wall.

In that case Eldritch Knight is totally fine if you want to be tanky. Pally bard does nice burst damage and has good utility. Neither is "Tier 1", but they're both totally competent, middle of the road choices.

Holy shit, I had no idea how borked early D&D was. Great link user, precisely what I was looking for.

I'm the Yoruba guy, and I'm 100% fine with mixing different cultures in the game. Just taking the piss out of the guy who thinks D&D needs to be generic pseudo-Europe.

I'm playing a rogue soon, and want to be a helluva swiss army knife without using magic. The rest of my party is pretty newbie, and I want to provide some lateral methods to getting past encounters. I'm planning on going variant human, but can't decide if I should run a 10/16/12/10/13/14 Thief with Healer, or a 10/16/11/10/10/16 Swashbuckler with a feat that I haven't figured out yet? (And maybe different stats if I get a feat with a stat boost.)
Which is more __fun?__

Forgot to mention, I will likely need to be the party face, at least when dealing with very dangerous/sensitive interactions.

If you're serious about the no heavy armor paradigm, though, you're just as wrong for the same reasons.

I'm a DM who loves worldbuilding, too, but any setting I've made either had to accommodate my players' desires or remain unplayed indefinitely. There's absolutely such thing as an unreasonable player, but denying options for the sake of your vision is just masturbatory.

Thief is best for Swiss Army Rogue, but you should consider mastermind if you plan on diffusing fights before they happen.

Though let's be honest: your party's gonna start most of the fights.

>If you're serious about the no heavy armor paradigm

Indeed I was not being serious about that. A bit of hyperbole to make fun of the "no wushu in my generic fantasy, no peanut butter in my chocolate" guy. There are places in my campaign world where the natives have different technologies and employ different equipment, but the players can be exceptional if they want to.

>but any setting I've made either had to accommodate my players' desires or remain unplayed indefinitely. There's absolutely such thing as an unreasonable player, but denying options for the sake of your vision is just masturbatory.

I'm glad you think this way. I really dislike DMs who deny things like monks just because they can't remove the idea of kung fu Bruce Lee from the face of monk.

Asking politely for the player to reflavor something about their character for it to better fit in the world you have in mind is fine. But I think it's the mark of a bad DM to outright deny things.

>"the magma golem is gaining on you down the tunnel, if you make it to the split in time you have a 50% chance to lose him"
>"Okay, I stop and cast unseen servant!"
>"Okay...."
>"Then I make it walk to the middle of the tunnel we're not going down"
>"Okay, you do that..."
>"Has the magma golem seen it yet?"
>the rest of the table slowly turns around to look at him
>"... what?"
>the magma golem sees us and follows us because he stayed behind to see if his plan worked
He then destroyed his own staff because he forced a magic shop owner to transfer the enchantment of a "staff of disintegration" onto his "priceless heirloom staff" at knife point even though he bought the staff off him for 1gp no points for guessing what it did
He then got himself killed next session trying to solo a boss battle

Both of these. A fuckload of DMs forget that they're there to enable players to have fun, so to deny classes and races just because you don't like them is a clear sign of being that DM.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't simply allow everything the players want. As dak'kon said, balance in all things.

You're all the types of people I wish more were like

Does anybody play online with strangers?
What's it like?
Do you use voice chat or do you use text?

I want to play Dungeons and Dragons more often but my friends only play for a few hours on the weekend, so I figured i'd play with some people online.

My only worry is that I'm very RP oriented and much prefer to roleplay my way out of a situation first before relying on weapon damage and stats.

It's really so frustrating to see DMs banning certain classes and races... or even worse, nerfing them even though they're part of the core books.

I've seen a thread somewhere where a DM was asking if he was being too harsh by giving disadvantage on thieves's tools checks of an Arcane Trickster, since he'd be 30ft away and not directly looking at the trap/lock. And also complaining how there would be "no risk or drama" and that he "might as well never add a single trap to anything ever again".

Whereas a good DM would add more traps exactly to let the player shine.

>Paladin Oath
I don't think you want a third level in Paladin. Maybe for Oath of Devotion if you've gone heavy into Cha

>war caster
Probably? If you want to cast anything with components other than V, for sure.

Has anyone tried the healing surge variant? Using Hit Die in combat?

I'm considering trying it out with my group but I wanted to hear if any of y'all have.

Why 11 Con in option 2?

Also, damn, I didn't realize how good Healer is. Can thief/arcane trickster use fast hands/mage hand legerdemain to use the features of this feat?

Exactly. The mark of a terrible DM is one that thinks he needs to always hurt his players for them to have fun.

Players wants to be badass, and letting them use their abilities outside of combat, to overcome shit will make them feel fucking rad.
In that example, if the trap goes off while the arcane hand is trying to disable it, have it go off in such a way that would have surely spelled doom for them if they were up close to it. But because the trickster used the hand, they were all safe! The players will feel smart and shit.

>unseen servant
>has he seen it yet?
Oh god, why didn't you ask this dumb motherfucker to leave right then? More, please.

I see you'replaying with an Andrew

enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?387232-Mage-Hand-and-the-No-Good-Low-Down-Dirty-Rotten-Arcane-Trickster

Yes.

I'd say it falls under Use an Object action, since you're using a Healer's Kit, so yes.

>I'm playing a rogue soon, and want to be a helluva swiss army knife without using magic

Go Thief, preferably halfling.

The warlock has a feature that lets it read all writing. Does this mean total comprehension of all writing? What about things like units? Does the warlock learn what an atmosphere of pressure is by reading a scientific report in a dead language, even if there is no concept of pressure in any language the warlock actually knows?

Put a rule for averting your eyes similar to a basalisk.

He would be able to read that the air pressure was whatever millibars, but that doesn't mean he knows what the hell a millibar is, or how much pressure whatever millibars is.