Sleeping Gods Quest #36

Previous threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Sleeping Gods Quest
Character journal: pastebin.com/kuwEtm6c
Character sheet: pastebin.com/z4MpU1Zu
twitter.com/MolochQM
ask.fm/MolochQM

While Garuna, that great temple city, is undoubtedly the home of Tenngaru's faithful – in the same way that Tenn, the capital, is the home of the faithless – the Dragon's Head is a place of no lesser importance. Built straddling the Dragon River, the sacred town is a place of great beauty.

A shame, then, that you can only imagine it as a battlefield. The chaos that engulfed the town when you last saw it was burned into your mind's eye. Perhaps this time will be different – a peaceful and productive journey to wipe away the memory of the Seer's assault. You hope so, but you have to wonder – and not for the first time – what value hope holds in these troubled times.

The road stretches out for a few hours ahead of you, but already the first buildings grow visible. Koa, equally grim and sombre, rides at your side, while Howa leans into your back, her arms a comforting presence around your waist. At the first sight of rippling prayer flags, she offers a soft gasp of appreciation.

For your part, you smell – just for a moment – a faint note of poison gas. A dark trick, conjured from the depths of your memory.

“It looks good, doesn't it?” Koa offers as you ride steadily onwards, “I mean, better than the last time we saw it.”

Well, you reply, it's not on fire. That, perhaps, is the only way it could look any worse. Nevertheless, his comment – the first in a fairly long time – draws your attention back to him. Aya had called him a duellist – in a particularly indirect way, admittedly – but that recollection just makes you think about Koa's rival, Jain. What became of the boy, you ask, after you left the Nameless Temple?

Koa hesitates, choosing his words carefully before answering. “He remains among the apprentices,” he explains, “He had... no, I won't call it a trial – it was more of a debate, really. We talked about what to do with him, anyway, and let him say his piece.”

“Koa spoke up to defend Jain,” Howa remarks, “I won't say that he was particularly, ah, eloquent, but...”

“Thanks,” Koa grunts, the very image of a sullen teenager, “I just figured that banishing him would do more harm than good. We throw him out, and then what? He'd be angry, nursing a grudge with nowhere else to go. He'd turn against us in a heartbeat. I'm not gonna say that I like having him around, but the alternative isn't much better.”

What about Jain himself, you ask, has he caused any other trouble?

“No, he's kept to himself mostly,” Koa shakes his head, “I mean, most of his friends – former friends – are keeping their distance. I think he regrets what happened, I really do, but it'll take a long time before everyone forgets what happened – if they ever do. I have to ask, though...”

Go ahead, you press, ask away.

“Did I do the right thing?” Koa asks, a trace of uncertainty lingering in his voice, “I mean, what would you have done?”

Not the right thing, you think to yourself.

>You did well, Koa
>I don't know. I've no right to judge these things
>Jain might still be a risk
>Other

>Not the right thing, you think to yourself.
say so
>You did well, Koa

need sleep, gnight Moloch

>>You did well, Koa
It's what I would have done. With time the boy can heal his wounds. As you said, throwing him out would have made things worse.

>You did well, Koa

Too often, pragmatism comes at the cost of mercy. It's too easy to put the safety of a greater whole above a single life. Yet this time, Koa could see that mercy and pragmatism went hand in hand – and he acted accordingly. Would you have done the same, you wonder aloud, when you were his age? Perhaps not, you wouldn't have been able – or willing - to see the bigger picture. Now though, you would have made the same call. He did the right thing, you tell the boy.

“I thought so,” Koa nods, “I won't claim to know all the answers – my perspective isn't any better than yours – but...”

But throwing Jain out would have made things a lot worse, you agree, that's something that doesn't need a whole lot of perspective to work out. In time, Jain might be able to earn back the trust he lost. That alone is worth the risks, minor as they may be, of keeping him around.

“Just, uh, just don't ask us to be friends,” Koa laughs a little, the sound a touch strained, “I don't think that wound is going to heal for a very long time.”

If it does at all. As you guide your horse into the cool shade of the stables – the sun is high in the sky today, and beautifully warm – you think again about how much Koa has changed. When you were first given the task of knocking some sense into him, he had been rude and arrogant. What a difference, you think with a smirk, a sound defeat can make.

“What's that smile for?” Koa asks as he fumbles down from his horse. You dismount as well, making the whole process look easy, and turn your attention to helping Howa down. She winces a little when she hits the ground, her false leg nearly slipping out from under her.

“I'm fine, I'm fine!” she insists, waving you away, “Just a little unsteady, that's all.”

Even so, you don't stray to far from her side as you all walk out into the Dragon's Head.

[1/2]

At first glance, no trace of the earlier massacre remains to blight the streets. The water flowing through the canals is like silver, catching the bright sun and sending those blinding rays back to you. Had Lapis, the Azure Dragon, been angered or sick, those rushing waters would be nowhere near as pure. You can remember the sluggish, tainted flow in the aftermath of the massacre, lingering poisons darkening the holy waters. Not so, now.

Yet, there are still signs for those willing to look hard enough. A stone wall, intact at first glance only to possess a series of cracked bullet holes on closer inspection. A bunch of flowers left at an anonymous corner, marking out the spot where someone died. Most of all, there is a faint tension in the air, one that seems to hang over the town like a cloud. The few soldiers you see keep their hands close to their weapons, their watchful eyes never settling.

“Where should we go first?” Koa asks as you stroll along, “I suppose we should present ourselves at the temple, but...”

But Holm, the high priest, will be there. A brash, arrogant man, you don't have particularly good history with him. How will be react, you wonder, when he learns that you were the one to answer his call for aid? Then again, if you use this opportunity to build bridges, he might be able to help you with those books Ishida wanted. Assuming, of course, that he is willing to put aside a grudge. In either case, you tell Koa glumly, the temple is your first stop.

You arrive at the temple quickly enough, even with Howa's limp slowing you down a little. At the entrance, a worried looking novice hurries to greet you.

“You're from the Nameless Temple?” he guesses, “Then... how can I help?”

>The high priest sent for me
>Do you have archives here? I need to check some records
>Is there something wrong?
>Other

>Do you have archives here? I need to check some records
It can come later though.

Is there something wrong, you ask the novice, something to do with their need for a Wanderer perhaps?

“Well, um, the high priest...” the novice clears his throat, trying to appear as professional as he can. A hard task, considering the sheen of sweat covering his brow. “He's concerned about, well, about a lot of things. You see, we've had a recent, ah, a loss.”

“Someone died?” Howa asks, her cane tapping on the tiled floor as she takes a step closer to the harried looking novice, “Is that why you needed us here?”

“No, they didn't die,” if anything, Howa's approach seems to make the novice even more anxious, “They, um, vanished. The high priest doesn't like us speculating about it, but we all know the reason. The assistant high priest – the second most important man in service to the Azure Dragon – has... left us. Defected, we think, gone to join... well. I shouldn't say too much, the high priest wants to keep the rumours from spreading.”

He's said enough. The assistant high priest has defected to join the Seer's cult – who else could they have turned to? The high priest can relax, you tell the novice, you're here now. He sent for help, and you've come to answer the call.

“That's good, that's very... good,” the novice nods eagerly, happy to pass the responsibility onto someone else, “Head through, please, and he should be able to tell you what you need to know. There are other matters weighing on his mind at the moment – these are things, I believe, that you could help us with.”

Other matters?

“Personal matters,” the novice apologizes, “For the high priest to discuss.”

[1/2]

Very well, you tell him, you'll take this matter to the proper office. One last question – do they have archives here? There are some records you'll need to check later.

“Archives?” the novice thinks for a moment, wiping his brow with a long – slightly too long, in fact – sleeve, “Yes, we have a great deal of records and such. Local history, particularly regarding the temple itself, would be the majority of them. Were those the records you were looking for? It's been a long time since anyone did a proper inspection of what is and isn't there, so...”

Howa looks like she's about to make some very pointed comment about the improper means of archiving information, but you calm her with an aside look. No point in bullying the poor boy – he has enough problems as it is. You'll check those later, you tell him, in due time. For now, you'll speak with Holm, with the high priest.

“Alone, I'm afraid,” the novice adds as you're leaving, “He was very, um, specific about that.”

“I don't mind waiting here,” Howa assures you, “I could use a little rest, actually.”

“Yeah,” Koa agrees, “I can wait a while. I mean, I've got to.”

Very well, you repeat, you'll be back as soon as possible. Moving through to Holm's office, you find him sitting behind a desk. As you arrive, he frowns at you – not a glare exactly, but still a frown.

“I thought it might be you,” he grunts, reaching into his desk and throwing a crumpled sheaf of papers down in front of you. “A full account of our past... troubles,” he remarks, “Your doing?”

Aya's newspaper. Of course it is.

>I'd rather talk about business. Why did you send for a Wanderer?
>Yes, I did that. Is there a problem?
>Nothing to do with me
>Other

>Yes, I did that. Thought I'd expose that cult a bit. Is there a problem?

>Yes, I did that. Is there a problem?

You did that, you tell Holm calmly, in order to expose the cult. Does he have a problem with that?

Swiping up the papers and flicking to a particularly well read page, Holm quotes from a section. “Fanatics, hiding amongst the faithful,” he pauses for a second before looking up at you, “Were those your words, or something that this... reporter came up with? No, no matter...” Another pause as Holm lets the papers drop, drifting down to his desk. “Thank you,” he eventually mutters, his tone so reluctant that you can't quite believe the words that he just spoke.

Sorry, you ask, but did he just-

“I thanked you, yes,” Holm barks, “You could have blamed the attack on us all – on me – but you didn't. There were some here – traders mostly, men who owe their allegiance to money rather than Lord Lapis – who were growing nervous. No matter what I said, they would not believe that the attack did not come from my temple, yet one newspaper was enough to turn their heads. So... I owe you thanks. If they had left, the whole community would have suffered. Men cannot live on faith alone.”

So, he's really thanking you?

“Don't push your luck,” Holm gives you a withering look, “I'm willing to trust you with an important matter – that is, unless you'd rather gloat?”

You're all finished gloating, you tell the priest with as much sincerity as you can manifest, you'd rather talk business. Why, then, did he send for a Wanderer?

“It's a matter of protocol, a formality really,” Holm begins, “There is a young novice ready to fully enter the temple. However, before he can do so, he needs to be tested. Evaluated. Normally, this duty would fall to the high priest, or the assistant high priest. I cannot evaluate this novice, and my assistant has...”

[1/2]

You wait, wondering what excuse Holm will give for the defection.

“He is unable or unwilling to fulfil his duties,” Holm snarls, anger lurking beneath his voice, “So, an outsider was required. I do not wish for it to be this way, but my judgement cannot be considered unbiased. The novice, you see, is my son. My firstborn, in fact. One day, he will take my position as high priest, but first Lord Lapis must accept him. For that, he must be tested.”

So, you ask, what exactly is he asking you to do?

“Offer advice, and bear witness,” Holm tells you, “This task is complicated by one factor – there is no one way for my son to prove his worth. Part of this test is to decide what should be considered “worth” - and for this, he requires a teacher. Meet him, speak with him, and then offer the wisest counsel you can provide. I realise that this might be asking a lot of you, but...”

He could be more polite, you think, since he's asking for your help.

>I'll get to work, then. Where can I find your son?
>How did you prove yourself worthy?
>Tell me a little about your son
>Can you give me any hints, where best to start?
>Other

What makes one fit for a priest of Lapis?

Can he offer you any hints, you ask, like where best to start? It's a fairly vague task, after all, proving one's worth.

“There is only so much I can tell you,” Holm admits, “I will tell you one thing – this test is not as it might appear. As someone who has completed it, I cannot reveal much. However, if you wish to know more about the trials, I encourage you to check the archives. There are many records of former priests who proved their worth. Look to history, Wanderer.”

So how did he prove himself, you ask, what made him fit to be a priest of Lapis?

“I went on a hunt,” Holm smiles slightly – the expression doesn't suit him – as he thinks back, “We have boar in the nearby woods, the kind that can gut a man in moments. It teaches you strength, hunting one of those beasts, but not just strength. It gave me a great respect for nature. That humility is what marked me as worthy to serve Lord Lapis.”

So, you wonder silently, what happened?

“But... a hunt may not be appropriate,” Holm admits, “Such trials are not for everyone.”

You sense something in his words, a caution that borders on fear. Could he tell you a little about his son, you ask carefully, what kind of boy is he?

“Sunao is...” Holm frowns slightly, “Soft. I'll be the first to admit that. I've given him a sheltered life, and now he might have to suffer for it. His wits are sharp and most here find him charming, but I fear he will never be a strong leader. Not without severe guidance – guidance that I cannot provide for him. As a priest of Lord Lapis, I urge you to push him, to test his limits... but as a father, I can only ask for you to keep him safe. If you can guide him to success, I will assist you, in turn, with whatever matters you may require. Is this acceptable?”

>I accept this task. Where can I find Sunao?
>I'm no teacher. This isn't my job
>I had another matter to discuss with you... (Write in)
>Other

>>I accept this task. Where can I find Sunao?

But first - to the archives! We even have an official pretext now.

>I had another matter to discuss with you... (Write in)
"By the way I talked to the Emperor personally the other day. It seems a lot of his scorn for the gods comes from some preconceived notion, he was surprised when I told him how agreeable some of them are. So I convinced him that he should talk directly to Lapis sometime about his railroad project. It could teach the boy some perspective and if they reach some kind of compromise it could be a turning point for this whole messed up situation we have with the empire. You okay with that?"

This is good, maybe point out that Sho could be a good example of what a sheltered life could do to a child.

You accept this task, you tell Holm with a slight bow, so where can you find Sunao?

“Outside, I imagine,” Holm tells you vaguely, “Savouring the fine weather – he may be sheltered, but the boy has a fondness for nature that I can, at least, respect. One of the other novices will likely know where to find him, or some of the townsfolk might have seen him. In either case, he will be close by. He is forbidden to stray too far without my knowledge and permission, a restriction that he has never struggled against.”

You've got wonder just why Holm is so protective. True enough, there are dangers everywhere – even without the risk of cultists or bandits, there are those boars he mentioned – but to hold the boy so close strikes you as uncommonly cautious. Sunao himself might be able to explain, but you've got one other matter to discuss before leaving to find him. You mention that, and Holm frowns slightly at you.

“I don't know what kind of business we might have,” the high priest asks slowly, “But fine. Say your piece.”

It concerns the Emperor, you tell him, you've spoken with him personally. He seemed surprised to learn that the gods were not all as he had scornfully imagined them and, in fact, seemed quite willing to speak with Lapis when you made the offer. Since so much of this tension is centred around his railroad project, the chance to reach some kind of compromise might help ease the situation. Not only that, but it might give him some perspective, something that he dearly needs. What you're here to ask, you finish, is if that is something Holm could arrange? Is he willing to arrange such a thing?

“The Emperor, here?” Holm laughs bitterly, “I thought the boy was more concerned for his own safety. Nevertheless, if he wishes to come, I can hardly refuse him. He'd just come anyway, with double the number of soldiers.”

[1/2]

True, you admit, that's always a possibility.

“Yet, you may speak true,” Holm scowls, as if the very idea of inviting the Emperor here has left a bad taste in his mouth, “As long as he is willing to listen as well as speak, there may be value in sitting down and discussing things. I refuse to sulk like a child, while that brat of a ruler is prepared to talk like a man. Very well, Wanderer – I shall draft a letter to the Emperor, inviting him to our fair town. There will be conditions, of course – a basic standard of decency – but if he is unwilling to agree to those, there will be no point in him coming here.”

When – if – he meets the Emperor, you suggest cautiously, he should study the boy and take note. The Emperor has led a very sheltered life, not so different from Holm's own son. They might not be so different.

“I shall assume,” Holm growls, “That you do not presume to tell me how to raise my own son. That could be considered a grave insult, if I was not generous enough to overlook it. The fact that you might be right...” he adds reluctantly, “Bah. Just get out of my sight, Wanderer – I have enough troubles without you adding to them even more.”

Maybe it's just you, but it feels like Holm is starting to warm up to you – in his own prickly way, of course. Bowing your head a little in a gesture of respect, you leave Holm to his troubles. Outside, Howa and Koa rise to meet you while the anxious looking novice flutters in the background.

>Have the novice take you to Sunao
>Visit the archives to do some research
>Wander the town for a while – maybe you can find Sunao yourself
>Other

Lets get some info on the trials so we know how to approach this. Also Garuna records.

So. Much. Tsun.

>but it feels like Holm is starting to warm up to you – in his own prickly way
I want to see him and Hyacinth get into an argument.

Howa, help please.

You'd like to meet Sunao with all the information you need, you figure, and there are certain other matters that you wish you look into. The archives first, you announce to your two companions, time to hit the books.

“Excellent,” Howa smiles, rubbing her hands together with anticipation, “Even if everything is shockingly out of order, I do so enjoy the chance to go over a new collection of books. It's... not a chance I often get.” Her smile falters a little as you help her to her feet, taking her hand in yours and lifting. “Thank you, Ira,” she gives you a gracious nod, squeezing your hand, “For bringing me, I should say. It means a lot to me.”

You're just happy to have some help, you give her a shrug and a smile, you're not the expert in digging through archives after all.

“Are you two having a moment?” Koa asks, butting in, “Because, uh, I can leave. I don't mind, I'm sure there's... something I can be doing. Something somewhere else, I mean.”

“Gosh,” Howa giggles, letting go of your hand to fan some cooler air across her cheeks, “I suppose we'd better get to work before we make a scene. So, what should I be looking for?”

Records of priests, you explain, those who have proven themselves worthy of entering Lapis' service. Taking a few moments, then, you go over what Holm tasked you with. Howa listens carefully as the novice leads you to the archives, while Koa lapses back into silence. Maybe he's listening as well, or maybe he's just lost in his own thoughts. It doesn't matter much either way, as long as he doesn't end up getting in trouble.

“Here we are,” the novice tells you, a note of regret in his voice, “The archives. Uh, I'd just like to apologize in advance...”

Come on, you shrug, how bad can it be?

[1/2]

>Come on, you shrug, how bad can it be?
DOOOOOOOOOMED

>Come on, you shrug, how bad can it be?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

It's pretty damn bad.

The first thing you notice about the archives – although you're very quickly realising that they don't deserve such a lofty name – is that the room needs to be about twice the size before you could consider it comfortable. Shelves are bunched up so tightly that you'd need to be a contortionist to easily browse them, and some of them have started to collapse. One corner is little more than a pile of damaged books, loose pages covering the floor where they have slithered free of their bindings.

Suffice to say, Howa nearly faints. Even as she insists that she's fine, you steer her into the lone seat and order her to sit, at least until she doesn't look so pale. Every time she looks up at the cramped room, a shudder still runs through her.

“How could it get this bad?” she wonders aloud, “Look, water damage! They just don't care at all, do they? I tell you, they should hold themselves to a higher standard – when this knowledge is lost because of their negligence, who will be able to replace it? Nobody, that's who!”

“Let's not get carried away,” Koa suggests, “We should start with the most recent stuff, that should be intact, right? It should be easy to get at as well, so we don't need to risk knocking over any of those towers.”

Koa's right, you press, it might not be as bad as it looks. As long as you can get a decent idea of what Sunao might be expected to do, that'll count as a success in your book.

“Maybe,” Howa admits grudgingly, “But... ugh, let's just get to work. If you can find anything that might be useful, I can give them a quick look over.”

Right then, you rub your hands together and turn your attention to the crumbling books, time to get to work.

>Please roll 1D100, aiming to beat 3050/70. I'll take the highest of the first three.

Rolled 85 (1d100)

Rolled 65 (1d100)

>aiming to beat 3050
I know what you mean, but still this place really is a mess

Rolled 63 (1d100)

Rolling just cause.

Rolled 35 (1d100)

You're the man, dog.

Keeping Koa's advice in mind, you start with what looks to be the earliest sets of records. There, you find a fairly length history of the temple itself – recent history, rather. Before handing it to Howa for evaluation, you leaf through the pages and count off the years it lists. If you're any judge of it, this particular volume seems to start with Holm's grandfather. It even includes a sketch of the man – he looks, you're not surprised to learn, like a more gnarled version of Holm himself.

As you hand that volume over to Howa, you decide to delve a little deeper into the stacks of books. What you emerge with is not, however, a book – rather, it's a musty scroll, the edges green with hints of decay. Grimacing a little, you cautiously unravel it and try to puzzle out the contents. You were expecting some kind of family record – scrolls are often used for plotting out webs of births, marriages and deaths – but it's more like a map. A moment later, and you realise that it's a map of the devotional waterways beneath the Dragon's Head. If Ishida is right, this should also serve as a map to Garuna's catacombs. Maybe.

Winding the scroll back up, you tuck it away in your pack and start to return to Howa. Then, something catches your eye – a flash of dark red, like a stain from some spilled wine. Half buried, nearly invisible beneath spilled papers, you spot a slim and nameless text. Even as you bend to pick it up, your mind is reaching to the worst possible conclusion. One of the Seer's books, you presume – a guess that is proven correct. Not exactly the same as the one Howa showed you, but a cruder, far older version. Printed on the first page is a simple message - “Toraji, a gift to you.”

Neither the name nor the handwriting means anything to you. Still, this is proof of one thing – the Seer has had an agent within the temple for quite some time.

[1/2]

“Hey,” Howa remarks as you're slipping the cult text into your deepest pocket, “I think this history book might have something that could help. It gives an account of a few priests to enter Lapis' service, as well as talking a little about what that service means. According to this, anyone can enter the priesthood without taking this test. However, those that do are marked for great things – like, say, the position of high priest. I think Holm wants his son to jump straight into the upper levels of the temple.”

You wouldn't be surprised, you grunt, that sounds like Holm.

“Well, it's his choice, I guess” Howa shrugs, “Anyway, you wanted to know a way of proving one's worth? I've got a couple here. You see, what this is essentially asking if for the candidate to prove themselves worthy of the responsibilities involved in leadership. In other words, they need a mandate to rule. One way to do this is simple – get the majority of the townspeople to support your claim. That, apparently, is enough.”

It might be simple, but going around so many people would take a fair amount of time. Anything else in that book?

“Another way of proving worth seems to be birthright,” Howa frowns, “Just being Holm's son would do it. It's not that easy, however. According to this, another member of the family – I believe it was Holm's uncle – tried to use the birthright thing to his advantage. However, he was rejected due to, and I quote, “A weakness of heart”. Whatever that means. I don't think it's something you should rely on.”

Anything else, you ask, anything at all?

“Not really,” Howa shakes her head, “Hunting seems to be the most common method. Rather brutish, if you ask me. I can keep looking, but I can't guarantee anything else useful. Did you want to go see Sunao now?”

>Yes, it's time I met him
>I had something else to look into first... (Write in)
>Other

>I had something else to look into first... (Write in)
Maybe there's something about that war god.

It's time you met him, you decide. If nothing else, you're pretty curious to see what he looks like. You've been trying to imagine a young version of Holm ever since you learned about the boy, but it's just not something you can manage. Perhaps you're just not that imaginative enough.

“If you don't mind, I'd like to remain here,” Howa asks, “There's only so much I can do here, but I want to check if there's anything in need of...”

Anything she wants to steal, you joke, is that it?

“Please Ira,” she rolls her eyes, “It would be a rescue, taking a book from this awful place. I just want to see if there's anything of dire importance that we don't have back at the Nameless Temple. I don't want to leave some ancient method of safeguarding against sorcery – if such a thing even exists – to rot in this place. You understand, don't you?”

When she puts it like that, you admit, she has a point.

“Oh, and I'll need to borrow Koa,” Howa adds quickly, “I need someone to do my...”

Legwork, you think with a wince.

“I don't mind helping,” Koa is quick to agree, “I mean, it sounds like this isn't something I should be getting involved with. I'm not exactly teaching material.”

And you are? Nevertheless, you're preparing to leave when a thought strikes you. Keep an eye out for anything about that war god, you remind Howa, anything at all might-

“Of course!” she cries suddenly, “I knew that sounded familiar! Holm's grandfather, this history mentions that he went missing on a journey to the northern islands. I can't guarantee that he went to the Black Rock, but it's not that far of a leap. I'll look into it a little more, if you want.”

That's a good place to start, you tell her, it might offer some new information. Now though, you've got to track down that novice.

[1/2]

He's easy enough to find, at least – lurking in the temple entrance, exactly where you last saw him. He doesn't seem any calmer than when you saw him earlier, but perhaps that's just his way – some people can look death in the face without blinking, while others struggle to rise in the morning. Just as the gods are near infinite in variety, so too are the people who serve them. When you call out to him, he nearly jumps out of his skin.

“Ah!” he yelps, “I'm sorry, I didn't... can I help you? Again?”

You were wondering, you ask, if he knew where Sunao was. Can he help with that?

“Oh, I should be able to do that,” the novice lets out a nervous sigh, “Follow me please.”

As he scuttles off, low robes swishing around his feet, you follow the novice back into the blasting heat and light of the outside. After spending some time in the gloomy, damp archives, it feels like you've been plunged into a furnace. You are led a short way out of town, away from the Dragon's Head and towards a light bunch of trees. It couldn't be called a forest, but it might offer some shade to a roaming traveller. Sitting within that pool of shadows is a beautiful boy. If this is Sunao, you think, then he must take after his mother.

“Hello,” the boy remarks, feeding a small scrap of meat to the falcon upon his shoulder, “A fine day, is it not?”

“Uh, sure,” the novice nods jerkily, “Um, Sunao? This man wanted to see you. I guess it's about the... you know, the thing.”

“Of course,” Sunao – so it is him – tilts his head to the side as he studies you, “Then we should talk, stranger. Thank you for bringing him, Toraji.”

That name – the one you found in the cult text.

>Introduce yourself to Sunao
>Confront the novice
>Other

"It's nice to meet you. I just realized I needed to talk to Toraji about something so we'll go over the test in just a minute. Toraji can you come
with me for a minute?"

>Confront the novice
Take a bit away then confront him.

>Take a bit away
Take him a bit away*

this

>Confront the novice
Make him spill what the cult's objective is here. It shouldn't take much, he seems like a nervous wreck as it is.

Don't confront the novice now.
1: the book was thrown into archives, which implies its owner wasn't to attached to it
2: the book was pretty old, and the novice is recently at the temple as far as I understand

The name may just be a coincidence. We need to know more first.

>We need to know more first.
Isn't that what we are doing? If he is innocent we'll find out and let him go on his way. We can just do a light and easy/non mindfucky Zulathoon fact check if need be.

>Other

Ask Toraji to stick around to help us with a couple minor things after we finish talking to Sunao. Just to kind of get caught up since you were last here. Express sympathy for the violence and hope he didn't know anyone caught up in it, you only wish you had discovered earlier that . . . Then trail off like a tired old man who accidentally almost said too much. Lay the bait to keep him interested in finding out what we know, keep him close and we can use him to feed the Cult false info or seize him right away.

I like this, actually.

I know you're playing the long game, but if there is a plot going on right now we should know about it so we can prevent it. The way he is nervous so much makes me thing something is in the works as we speak.

You greet Sunao with as much warmth as you can scrape together – quite a lot, considering – give him your name. Ira, you tell him, and it's good to meet him. There's just one small matter you need to settle before you can get started on his test. You just need to borrow Toraji for a moment. Before either of them can protest – or even reply – you take the anxious, now borderline panicking, novice aside. You practically need to drag him along.

“Oh no,” he whines as you set him down, “Oh no, no...”

Yes, you tell him grimly. He knows what this is about, doesn't he?

“No, I mean, yes, but...” Toraji shudders, “That damn book. It's not mine, I promise!”

That's a pretty bold claim to make, you reply, considering that it had his name written on the first page. It's not such a common name, Toraji, so he should think very carefully about his next attempt at worming out of this. On the other hand, if he tells you everything, it'll be a lot easier for him.

“Okay, look, let's not be hasty here, okay?” Toraji pleads, “It's not MY book, but I was given it. Before he... left, the assistant high priest – Manabu, his name was – told me he'd left something in archives for me. I took one look at that thing and dropped it, I didn't want anything to do with it, I swear!”

Why, then, did Manabu hand the book down to him?

“I guess maybe I sorta gave him the idea that I agreed with him,” the novice admits, pallid with fear, “I mean, I kinda do. Did. It's not fair, you know? It doesn't matter what I do, I'll always be stuck below someone with Momose blood. Like Holm, you know, or Sunao. Manabu was sick of it, that why when some guy offered him the chance to take over...” Toraji shakes his head suddenly, “I mean, that was years ago!” he insists.

[1/2]

Well, if we talk but don't confront him we can do two things. If it's a common name, we remark on it saying it is a good strong name despite being common and joke about our friends Toraji and Toraji and Toraji who used the nicknames Toraji, big Toraji, and Hatchet. You're pretty sure he started that nickname himself since he had a rather large boil on his noise and always was the type to take action to prevent something like being called Boil Toraji.

If the name is rare, we comment on not having heard it before and ask how he came by it, is it a local thing? Must be pretty rare to run into another Toraji, maybe one day it'll happen though!

The thing is that he's left with telling us either that there is another Toraji or there isn't, and if the name is common or rare. Maybe it's usually a middle name. Maybe it's a nickname referencing a local custom, or a name used for bastard or orphans. Maybe it's a title of station or achievement like student or lord.

Someone came around promising all kinds of things, you think aloud, did he look like...

“How am I supposed to remember that?” he whines, “Like I said, it was years ago. All I remember is that weird ring he had. It was-”

Shining steel, you sigh, of course it was. Saku - dead and cremated, but he's still getting in your way. So, you confront Toraji, he wanted a way of getting into the higher ranks of the temple. Is that all he wanted?

“I swear!” he insists, “I took one look at that book, saw the instructions for making a bomb, and I just dropped it. I just... didn't mention it. I thought I'd get the blame for it all, you understand that, right?”

And he has no idea – no idea at all – where Manabu might have fled to?

“He never told me,” Toraji seems to slump a little, the strength leaving his body, “The only thing he said was that one day, he might come to take me with him. When I was ready. I don't know where he is now, or what he's doing. I don't want to know!”

A boy in over his head, you wonder, or a cult spy desperately trying to protect himself?

>Turn yourself in to the high priest. Tell him exactly what you told me
>I have a duty to turn you over to the military. I'm sorry
>I'll keep your secret. Don't let me regret this
>Other

>I apologize for not taking everything into account. I couldn't find a way to work both ideas into a single answer.

We'll make sure he doesn't get into too much trouble since he didn't actually do anything. He also needs to get word out to us if Manabu contacts him or if he finds out Manabu's whereabouts. In the meantime we hold onto the evidence.

I mean I'd guess Manabu is at the cult stronghold, but maybe they have safehouses.

>Zulathoon him gently, just to check if he's lying.

Manabu is the one to blame here. Toraji should be fine.

>I think using Zulathoon's magic here is important enough to put to a quick vote. To confirm, we can read his memories without hurting him, we just need to be careful.

>Covertly reach into his memories
>Do not reach into his memories
>Ask for permission to read his memories
>Other

>>Other
Warn him that we are going to read his memories to do a quick fact check. It won't hurt but you'll feel funny.

We ain't got time for this shit.

> "Okay. You are still staying here while I talk with Sunao about things. Then you and I are going to talk to the high priest as I'm sure he'll have specific questions of his own to ask you. Sometimes people get swept up in the currents of chance, and you have been compliant so far. Regardless, punishment is less useful than redemption, and ultimately I'm not here to destroy the Cult or ferret out who might have dealt with them. I'm here to prevent any more violence"

He has to turn himself in to the high priest, you tell Toraji in a gentle voice, and tell him exactly what he told you. For now, he's not done anything wrong – he'll be treated fairly. However, he needs to go straight to Holm or you, if Manabu ever tries to get in contact, or if he should ever learn of Manabu's location. In return, you'll keep hold of the evidence – better that it's in your hands than out in the wild, after all.

“Thank you, thank you!” Toraji looks like he's about to melt from sheer relief. Still, that kind of reaction can be faked – and you need to be sure.

You're going to try something, you warn him, and it might be a little uncomfortable. However, it will prove or disprove his story – do you have his permission?

“I have nothing to hide,” he tries to sound confident when he says this, but he just can't get the tremor to leave his voice, “Well, nothing else, at least. What I mean is, go ahead. I mean, it'll prove my innocence, so...”

For his sake, you tell him as you reach out and grab the flesh of his wrist, you hope he was telling the truth. Then, reaching out with as much delicacy as you can, you reach into his more significant memories. Perhaps it's your caution, but you don't quite reach as deep as you've previously done. Instead, you get the chance to see Toraji grow ashen and pale, a phantom conversation playing out inside your head.

[1/2]

“This isn't the first time you've brought this to my attention,” a thin voice echoes out, “It rankles, doesn't it? Knowing that you'll never have the same chance as that boy, just because of his blood.”

“It's not fair,” a second voice – Toraji's – agrees, “It's not fair, and I hate it.”

“So do I,” the first voice, which you take to be Manabu's, purrs, “But I'm done waiting and hoping for things to change. I had hoped that the people would lose their confidence in the high priest, especially after that little... unpleasantness, but he is tenacious. He holds onto power like a dog holds onto a bone – and he would rather die than see someone outside of his festering line take power.”

“Die?” Toraji's voice repeats nervously, “You don't mean...”

“A figure of speech,” Manabu says, “For now. One day, I will return here at the head of a great army, and I will take this temple for myself – if you wish to be part of the new order, seek out my gift for you, left within the archives. Study it well, boy, and it will guide you as it once guided me. Wait for my return, Toraji, and you will be rewarded. This, I promise.”

And then Toraji recoils from you, breaking the contact and dragging you out of his memories. He was telling the truth – more or less. In the distance, you can see Sunao watching you with fretful eyes, the bird on his shoulder shifting uneasily.

“I told you, didn't I?” Toraji gasps, “I'll turn myself in, okay? Just... just don't throw me to the soldiers, they'd see me hang just for knowing Manabu!”

>Fine, get out of here. I need to speak with Sunao
>No, don't tell Holm about this. I need you to be a spy for me
>I need to know something... (Write in)
>Other

Anyways, once we've reassured him that we aren't interested in punishment or revenge or anything and implied that we'll stop anyone from doing that if he helps us, or at least answers us honestly, we can talk to Sunao. Does he even want to join the temple? Clearly something sketchy is happening, whether it's related to his parentage, his position as possible heir, or his personality. Regardless, if he's looking for class challenge and a personal revelation that lets him prove/grow into a person fit to lead, ferreting out cult activity and having to make the decisions about what to do with what we find/who we catch etc. Might do the trick. Push him into a corner until he decides if he refuses to do it right away. If he chooses immediately regardless of his choice object and insist he not do it so that he has to defend it. If he outright is unable to choose on his own, if he refuses to deleted his choice when challenged, or if he does something batshit cruel for some random reason he fails.

Otherwise he not only gets the responsibility, but he gets to feel the burden of it and face up to the fact that said responsibility is tied to making the decisions and he'll never be able to always make the correct decision, but he should always be able to say he did what he truly thought was the right thing. He won't have to say it to anyone else if he's the boss, but he'll always have to say it to himself yo.

Or if he doesn't want to be high priest and Toraji turns out to be telling the truth, I say we let Toraji take the test. Sunao is passing, we're here, and he's right he shouldn't always serve a Momon just because. It wouldn't be the only thing he would have to do to become a leader, but nobody said he couldn't do it. Besides, what better way to redeem himself than to devote himself to rising up the temple and helping it not just flourish but improve, to respect it's position, heritage and values but grow it so that the concerns he has are met by it in the future so that there won't be another young novice who is maybe more angry or impressionable or scared, who thinks that an institution can't be saved, or at least not by him, and chooses a violent and destructive path because nobody showed him that other options are even there. Sometimes everyone needs someone to not just hear them, but to also listen and then tell them that there is still hope. Change can happen, and it can be made to happen by just one person. Because once they decide to not give up, they've already changed themselves towards being their ideal person. It might not be much, but everything that makes the world even a little bit better is something and eventually all those little things add up. The man he who keeps hope gives that hope to others, who share it further until it's everywhere one day and you can't remember what the old world looked like without it.

Like how everyone has cellphones these days.

"Sorry about that."

A spy would be good, but I fear the poor guy will just have a nervous breakdiwn

>Other

Get him to stick around still while we talk to Sunao. We'll go to Holm with him to make sure that he knows Toraji was cooperative and also to inform Holm about the situation.

After that we will see if he is willing and able to help us further, and if Holm will let him since he is ultimately Holms responsibility to discipline and protect.

I have no idea why we wouldn't just keep Holm in the loop here, or why we would let Toraji just up and fuck off if he could help.

Sure, this.

Seconding this.

Good night anons. I'll have to catch the rest of the thread later. Don't feed Sunao to a boar!

>No, don't tell Holm about this. I need you to be a spy for me

But we'll tell the High Priest about it when we see him next, I don't want him thinking we have any ulterior agenda or are undermining his. Dude seems big on respect.

Also I like the idea of making him take the test as well so he can see that birth alone doesn't mean Sunao automatically gets to inherit as the next high priest. Give him some respect for Sunao and what he went through afterwards.

Novice from the streets and heir to the temple odd couple comedy action time!

Fine, you tell him, get out of here. You'll be willing to back him up when it comes to Holm, but that'll have to wait. For now, you need to speak with Sunao.

“Yes, I'd better, uh...” Toraji nods towards the town, shuffling as if he can hardly wait to get away from you, “Oh, wait, don't be too rough on Sunao, okay? I kinda saw the high priest yelling at him once, and Sunao was almost, uh, he was almost crying. He's a little... delicate.”

That gives you pause. He seems to know Sunao pretty well, you ask, is that right?

“Well, you know, we're both novices. We study together, and...” Toraji winces slightly, realising that his words have only given you a good reason to keep him longer, “Yeah, I guess we know each other. Why do you, uh, ask?”

Stick around a while longer, you “ask”, he might be able to help with Sunao. Without any real choice in the matter, Toraji sullenly follows you as you return to Holm's son, offering the boy an apologetic smile. It turned out to be more than a few minutes, you tell him.

“Oh, no matter,” Sunao looks between the two of you, a flash of confusion touching his fine, delicate features. Up close, you finally have a chance to study him carefully, and there does seem to be a hint of Holm in his face. Age can change a man, after all, and so can a hard life. Sunao, on the other hand, looks more like a pampered noble, isolated from any of life's hardships. His eyes are warm – observant without being probing – and his smile seems absurdly trusting. Even his clothes speak of his easy life – fine garments, free from virtually any wear and tear. “So, Ira, you're here about the trials, are you not?”

That's right, you tell him, but he might not be taking them alone.

“Huh, wait?” Toraji twists around you stare at you, “What was that?”

It's not fair that only one of them should have the chance of advancement, you say evenly, so why not both take the test?

[1/2]

“Well I think it's a fine idea!” Sunao decides, his voice bright, “We should all have a fair chance at impressing Lord Lapis. If we both try our best, he's sure to appreciate the effort we went to!” Toraji doesn't look convinced by that – if anything, he looks like he's just been handed a death sentence – but he says nothing as Sunao continues. “Ah, but I haven't decided how to approach the trial yet,” he says half to himself, “There's just so many ways to tackle something like this!”

Start small, you advise the pair of them, do they have any ideas?

“I know that my father wants me to hunt, just as he did,” Sunao offers, “But... perhaps I'm not suited for such things. Have you seen those spears they use? I don't even think I could lift one of them!”

True enough, his arms are little more than twigs. The realisation that you could probably break the pampered boy in half with relatively little effort flashes through your mind, then, and you wince a little.

“I don't know why you're complaining,” Toraji mutters, “You could just march down there and demand to be made a priest. That's what I hear, at least.”

“Oh no, I wouldn't do that!” Sunao appears genuinely shocked by the idea, “That's so rude and uncouth!”
Sizing up Toraji, you realise that he might be a reasonable hunter. Some strength in his limbs, and he doesn't look like a stranger to hard work. Then again, anyone would look rugged when compared with Holm's little Emperor.

“Well, Ira, I understand you're supposed to be my... our teacher,” Sunao gives you a cheerful look, “What would you suggest?”

>Both of you should go on a hunt. Teamwork is a worthy skill for a leader
>Sunao, you have your birthright. Might as well use it
>Get the people to support you, and Lapis will recognise your authority
>Why not try something else... (Write in)
>Other

I can't see Sunao contributing much to a hunt and the birthright option is out so...

This test is for a ranking position in the priesthood, not necessarily the position of High Priest right? So they can both pass correct?

>That's correct, they could certainly both pass.

If they can get the people to support then, you suggest, Lapis will be forced to recognise their authority. The priests here are supposed to be leaders, so they'll need to act like it.

“The people,” Sunao murmurs to himself, “How exciting!”

Toraji just glances across at you, giving you a slight shrug, a kind of gesture that seems to say “Well what did you expect?”

“I don't imagine that being very difficult,” Sunao gloats, the smug comment coming off as innocent rather than insolent, “I suppose that's all you can do for us, then? As I understand it, the rules of this little trial mean you're supposed be a judge and a witness, but that's it.”

“And a teacher,” Toraji adds glumly. For all his complaints about not getting to rise up the ranks, he hardly seems very enthusiastic about the chance that has dropped into his lap. Perhaps he's still waiting for the axe to drop – a natural pessimist, in contrast with the more optimistic Sunao. Then again, he might be imagining all the consequences that might come of this, all the ways that Holm might be able to make his life difficult, if the bitter old man wanted.

You'll have to have a word with Holm about that, now you think about it, to smooth things out a little.

“Do you know what this is?” Sunao asks, rubbing his hands together, “An adventure!”

>I'm sorry, but I'll have to end things a little earlier than planned. Next thread on Wednesday this week, and I'll stick around a little while in case of any questions.

Holm wasn't kidding, Susao is super sheltered.

Thanks for running.

So why was Manabu salty at Holm? Holm passed his test via hunt and I assume Manabu passed the test too if he is the rank of Assistant High Priest.

Why the envy about bloodline?

Manabu is the sort of person who has far more ambition than talent. He entered Lapis' priesthood at the same time as Holm, but Holm was always that little bit ahead - something that Manabu put down to Holm's family background. The cult offered him the chance to take over Lapis' priesthood, and Manabu fell right into their clutches.

In his own eyes, Manabu sees himself as doing good - under his rule, the priesthood would be fairer and stronger. Of course, most people assume that they can be fair and unbiased, it isn't always true.

We need to find some way for Toraji not to collapse from stress. Maybe have Koa talk to him. Yeah. It'll totally calm him.

>Koa tells stories of Ira biting off ears

And Toraji believed some of his bullshit, enough to prevent him from even trying to take the test because he thinks he'll be way behind Sunao because of bloodline?

Which is weird cause even if that was true, you'd think he'd take the test anyways because he wants to be a high ranking priest anyways, regardless of where Susao lands.

Doesn't Lapis make the final call on who is his Head Priest? Or does the priesthood?

Toraji's reaction is pretty close to how I imagine most of the low level cultists would react after seeing Ira at this point. In other words, terrified! I do like the idea of Koa mentioning the ear thing though, just so Ira has a chance to complain about it again!

Manabu framed the explanation in a way that implied Toraji would fail the test regardless, just to "encourage" the boy to see things his way.

Lapis could step in to force the head priest to stand down or to elect a different one, but he rarely uses that right. For day to day purposes, the title of head priest is usually passed down when the current head grows too old. Of course, this ended up being passed down from father to son for a fair few generations.

Does the Head Priest pass it down or does the whole priesthood decide?

What does Lapis do all day? In fact what do most gods do all day? Do they get bored sitting in their shrine?

Most gods aren't really human enough in their mindsets to get "bored" as such, but they typically have their own routines. Hyacinth, for example, obsessively sweeps the area around her shrine. Lapis lives, in a way, much like a monk - he spends much of his time in contemplation.

The head priest takes advice from the priesthood as a whole - or, he's supposed to - but the final call lies with the head priest. The military isn't the only corrupt organisation!

Gods usually don't get much interaction from humans other than the head priest on occasion right?

Could a God adopt a more human mindset if it was exposed to humans and human conversation routinely. Like in Devil Summoner where non-unique demons start out a certain way, but through exposure to a human summoner for a long time develops their own unique quirks and personalities.

Like what if a small god awoke in the Nameless Temple and most of the apprentices and Wanderers talked to him/her on a daily basis?

The measure of a god's "humanity" is generally linked with two factors - the level of interaction they have with humans, and the nature of their divinity. Gods of elemental features like Lapis or Titanos tend to be less human in mindset than a god linked with human concepts, like farming.

So, a god that interacted a lot with people would, in time, get more human. However, there are both limits to this and other factors at work.

Oh yeah, speaking of Devil Summoner I saw this while lurking P5 threads on /v/ and thought of London even though its a very, very loose resemblance.

>P5

This raises an important question Moloch.

Biker, Adieu, Hacker, and Anne
How would you rank them?