>>potatoes
>>tomatoes
>>pomatoes

>The Eight Castrati
>featuring such hits as
>Why'd You Go and Cut Off My Balls
>Where My Balls At
>I Got My Balls Cut Off and Then I Was Buggered

What are you suggesting? That nation-states like England, Scotland and France didn't exist and that everyone lived in sovereign cities?

>fantasy
>not like reality
>autists amirite

Irony/10, OP. Well played.

By simply assuming most medieval settings are actually renaissance settings (which many are, as evidenced by the existence of full plate) solves most of these issues.

That is something I wonder about. Could a communist philosophy develop without industrialization?

It's called Hunter-Gatherer.

And most peasant villages.

>tomatoes
>Renaissance

Tomatoes didn't see widespread Italian use until like, the late 1700s

i know OP wants more fantasy but it's really weird how people expect fantasy settings to match real world expectations.

It's fantasy. Anything could theoretically be the case. Things that are true that may not necessarily be true in any fantasy world:
- How gravity works
- The value of pi
- the electromagnetic spectrum
- germ theory
- the table of elements (in DnD, everything really is based on Air/Earth/Water/Fire)
- basic human capability (lung capacity, jumping distance, etc)

and that's all before you even TOUCH 'magic'

>medieval fantasy setting

Pretty much every gripe about medieval fantasy can be reconciled via magic.

I'm sure mass printing would be a breeze with magic, leading to education, etc.

Imagine if a more efficient and less expensive printing press was invented in like, 150CE?

Also, things like manufacturing, communications, medicine, etc all improve drastically with the presence of even a single village wizard.

jewish kibbutzes

But part of communism is a constant struggle between the poor and rich.

>Not realizing anachronisms are common in fiction

Somewhere the psychic resonance of Trotsky is screaming in eternal pain

I leave to you whether you care or not.

dafuk definition of communism are you using?

in an 'ideal' communist society (so, achievable by small communities, as discussed by this thread, but not yet implemented on any kind of actual large scale), there are no poor or rich - all property is communally owned.

"I pay for my room and board with 5 gold coins"

Economy knowledge activate!

kek'd

Sorry, I shouldn't have said constant struggle - it's more like a struggle where people are forced into equality, and then vigilance after to make sure no one gets too much power again. You might argue that that means that the evil rich people will always be struggling to regain their power, but I'm not clear if that's actually ever expressed.

You have no idea what you're talking about, please stop trying.

>in an 'ideal' communist society (so, achievable by small communities, as discussed by this thread, but not yet implemented on any kind of actual large scale), there are no poor or rich - all property is communally owned.
So hunter-gatherers definitely don't count then?

Also:
>roadside Inn in the middle of absolute nowhere
>has multiple floors, each with a few private rooms for rent
>always awake staff member behind the bar

Threw my players for a loop when they found the ramshackle Inn at the edge of the world was a glorified house, they had to bang on the door for 10 minutes to wake up the keeper, slept on the floor. Beds are expensive yo, and 3 silvers a night isn't exactly going to furnish you well.

That's why they should always be set in towns of at least middling size, where there'd be a regular enough flow of people to warrant them as a business. Players should be ready and willing to camp if they need to.

Burn it down and fuck any near by farm animals

>orange carrots

>For 5 silver I can let you sleep on the tables and I won't call the guards
>That's a lot of money!
>I know that's why I want it.

>Fantasy setting
>Using IRL history for placing crops and not making your own

communism specifically no, but an ethos of collective ownership and responsibility is plenty plausible.

>fantasy setting
>having dishes called "thermidor" and "meuniere"

and that salamander is clearly deep-fried, who do these translators think they're fooling?

She may not be fair, but her proportions sure are balanced, goddamn

Second post best post

>come up with multiple non-combat solutions to a situation
>"you try and you....failed lol"
>end up fighting EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

>mfw DM is actually forcing the party into murderhoboing

>party face is our best roleplayer and has over 20 charisma
>DM still defaults every NPC acting like they got out of the wrong side of bed and being as unhelpful as possible
>even after decent to high diplomacy rolls to soften them up

I know that feel

>try to bargain at general store in tiny ass village consisting of 5 houses and a mill
>one of the party members pressures the merchant into dropping prices for buying in bulk
>The merchant seems unhappy and calls out "Lars, Bruno, get over here". Two huge aryan-looking guards appear from the door behind him and start looking at you menacingly

later in that campaign

>we end up back in the same village
>disguised member and new female member go shopping because we assume the merchant would remember the rest of us
>they end up trading the female member for a camel and 2 donkeys
>the camel is ill and dies as soon as the retard party member takes possession of it
>"lel no refund"
>we try to free female member in the night
>rogue sneaks in shop basement where he finds Lars & Bruno's quarters
>it's a sex dungeon & apparently they're gay, or bi, or pan or something
>they steal a gold buttplug with a diamond on top & escape

later in the same campaign

>party has to get rid of a wizard with an undead army
>isn't outright hostile
>we try to negotiate
>kill some orcs for him and he will leave and give us some goodies even
>scout orc camp only to see they're about 15 double tents in close proximity and all seem to be occupied
>try to decoy the orcs to the wizard so they do the dirty work
>"kek no"
>while working out a different plan a patrolling party notices us and straight up blows the horn alerting everyone
>surrounded by 30 orcs
>negotiate.jpg
>"kek no"
>I sit there trying to figure out why I play with these people
>apparently DM realizes TPKing us like this is retarded
>all of a sudden the orc warchief seems interested in the gold butt plug with the diamond on top
>we bought our freedom with a gold butt plug

Trotsky was a dumb fag who deserves his hell

>society clearly based on (historical period)
>characters take modern attitudes in regards to religion, political issues, sexuality, science etc.

>- The value of pi
Pi is exactly THREE!

Americans who don't know the difference?

>modern setting
>medieval kingdoms exist and are even commonplace

>medieval fantasy setting
>there are no colors besides gray and shit brown

Your DM is retarded.

Not at all relevant to the thread, but holy shit. That armor is gorgeous.

But that's "realism".
Do you hate "realism", user?

>roadside Inn in the middle of absolute nowhere
>has multiple floors, each with a few private rooms for rent
>always awake staff member behind the bar

You know in Middle Age and long time after, many countries had Inn systems, basically established by the ruler of said country to provide decent lodgings for the officials, couriers, nobility and the ruler of said country if they ever would visit said place. The community would get certain amount from the treasury for upkeep of said inn but often innkeepers would take on buying customers aswell to make extra money.

>Modern setting
>Knights are still a thing

Fucking hell, man!

>Zounds! Ye Edge!.tpsty

I fucking hate that shit.
But, then again, most DMs don't bother describing color that much anyway, so that's really more of a problem with perception or movies and stuff like that, not settings.

>medieval England, Scotland and France
>modern nation states
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_state#Characteristics_of_the_nation_state

But most of my D&D settings are based around the HRE.

is there anyplace in the world where feudalism is still practiced?
I'm sure there's someplace in bumfuck that does but I can't think of any

>Run medieval setting
>Players want to be Operators with Guns

>Play modern setting
>Players want to be Street-Paladin, Street-Druid, Street-whatever

Kill me.

I like how this is where people draw the line. We have adventurers, dragons, wizards, magic, real gods, other sentient races, people who can survive blows that should kill, and all other manner of shenanigans, but heaven forbid we touch the pristine political arrangements that were the middle ages.

I don't throw a conniption every time someone does something that violates physical principles, like spells not following conservation of energy, maybe you history nerds can quit citing how this madeup setting doesn't match your fucking book.

Current DM does this. He then complains about us and insults our characters. Can't wait for him to stop

>Look at Domesday Book, a census of england written 1000 years ago
>There's a hamlet (settlement with under 100 people) with an inn (bed, food, water and fodder for oxen/horse) every 20-30 miles along every road
Why is 1086's era England so unrealistic? It's like whoever wrote this book thought people traveling along the roads would want a place to eat and sleep within 1 day's travel distance of each other and that people would somehow magically decide to put small settlements in those locations.

>Lack of economic scope
The dirt farming village of Mudfuck cannot afford to buy your +2 sword

>lack of practical scope
The blacksmith of the dirt farming village of Mudfuck mostly makes nails and repairs farming tools. If you want masterwork plate, you need to go back to the city.

>Lack of common sense
You can't buy your masterwork plate in the city, because you stabbed a merchant in broad daylight and had to escape the city watch and local adventurers guild trying to bring your ass to justice

Hard act to sell. I bet it took balls.

Triggered

Pilgrims are medieval tourists, and dropped a lot of money

>Pilgrims are medieval tourists, and dropped a lot of money
Does this make the Canterbury Tales the original greentext?

>Tales of cucking
>Literal butthurt
>hat the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the kings knights, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret crusades on the Saracens, and I have over 300 confirmed kills....

Yeah, its greentext

Except going that route creates approx. a MILLION more gripes about why certain things are stuck being done the assbackwards way they are instead of magic being exploited to its utmost limits of logical efficiency.

>Noblesse de robe

Some things such as mass printing/communication make sense to invest magic into as they have massive payoff. smaller things that are "less important" don't merit magical intervention?

I dunno man, sometimes you have to fudge it a little.

Communal ownership is common in some societies that never industrialized, yes, but it depends on what you mean by "communism"

Americans are fucking PhD's in Deep-Fried, neighbor. You ain't fooling shit when it comes to that.

>People referring to completely fictional planets, with actual gods and magic, and non-human sapient species, where wars can be fought with everything from swords to fireballs to fucking dragons and kaiju, as "medieval" or "renaissance" and get their panties torqued over anachronisms.

Jesus people if I tell you that telephones were invented by a caveman but were done away with after aliens gave us the Talking Fires then that's the fucking history of this setting. Take your arguments about plate armor and real-world politics to the center of a labyrinth and tell it to the guy with the horns.

>Set in NOTRomeGreekEgypt
>statues and frescos are white

>Jingle no balls
>I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates, but no balls
>Saturday Night Fever (an infection acquired after my castration)
>getting jiggy with no balls
>my humps (are not balls)
>Who let the dogs, who I associate closely with due to our mutual lack of balls, out

What backwards fuckin realism is that?

Larry, I will take "Post-modernism" for 300 this time!

Since when hunter-gatherers share their shit commune-style? Jesus, 2016 and you are doing noble savage...

>people would somehow magically decide to put small settlements in those locations.
>I don't understand the basics of settlement development

>A wizard did this!

>I have no clue how inn systems worked through the ages in all different fucking cultures around the world
user, unless you are doing a frontier setting after recent rapid land-grab, you are full of shit.

I will give you a clue - if there is a road, there is an inn or other type of decent lodging. And if there are no roads, unless the area is some clustefuck of dense forest/steep mountains/marshland/whatever else - there is an in or other type of lodging.

Sure, multistore inn is way over the line, but you are replacing one extreme with another, you stupid shit.

>Hunter-Gatherer
>Communism

"Legitimate states that govern effectively and dynamic industrial economies are widely regarded today as the defining characteristics of a modern nation-state."

I have some huge problems with your definition for a start, but let's assume that it's correct.

Medieval states are pre-industrial, ergo they are not nation states.

Actually it's Marx who makes the claim that agricultural practices lead to the initial alienation of worker from production, which is exacerbated by feudal society and reaches it's near maximum under capitalism and would disappear back to the level of hunter-gatherer societies under communism, as production and laborer cease to be alienated as they weren't back during hunter gatherer societies.

it's what the whole "end of history" thing is about.

You do realise that marx knew fuck all about hunter-gatherer societies given he only ever lived in industrial ones. If anything one of the key traits of hunter gatherer societies in most parts of the world is a tendency to have a tribal chief, which is entirely non communistic (though the guy who re branded his movement marxism after people decided to take his ideas but not follow him might not see the problem with that)

He probably won't, user. At times like this you might need to step back, ask yourself if you're willing to put up with this and remind yourself that no game is better than bad game.

An unchallenged enemy may mistake you for an ally.

>2016
>Communism theory is still and only Marx and nothing else
user, he was outdated already when we was alive.

Because in modern time you sit in a car and drive 24h straight without any stops

"Company Towns" are the nearest modern equivalent.

>Company towns
You mean any given modern corporation? Company towns are closer to commune than anything else, you dumb fuck.

We literally fry the oil we use for frying sometimes. The US is at like Inception levels of deep-frying mastery.

Have you realised that the biggest inns were in a middle of fucking nowhere?
That was their purpose.
You could sleep on a reasonably comfy bed in a middle of fucking nowhere.

Shhhh he wanted to be a passive aggressive twat, not a good gm, let him be shit in peace.

Make him regret it user, burn everything. I am in a similar situation, my gm essentially forced my character into becoming the sociopathic bomb thrower he is today. The concept of chemical warfare may not be new in this setting but by god my alchemist is going to revolutionize it.

>Communism
>Marxism

There's a difference

Not if you are Clapistani

This. Marx is based on fuck old research and speculation. Folks have actually been looking into hunter-gatherers and other primitive societies constantly since then and found that the linear theory of histor's shit.

> If anything one of the key traits of hunter gatherer societies in most parts of the world is a tendency to have a tribal chief
>hunter-gatherers
>tribal chief

Toppest keks.

Yeah, like old pirate ships, it's the tribal chef who really weilds power in the tribe.

You monster

Every day I praise the Lord that I'm not

Only positive whole numbers exist, mathematically proving otherwise collapses the existence of anyone who conceives it.

TRUMP 2016!

user, as people get smarter they don't get better, they just develop better arguments justifying the retarded shit they do.

Fucking good.

Go home Berghardt Stuttley Johnson, you're drunk.

No, that's the Pompeii graffiti.

>Amplicatus, I know that Icarus is buggering you. Salvius wrote this.

Truly the tale of greentext as a genre is a long and storied history