When EA and Battlefield make a more 40k trailer than an actual 40k game

>when EA and Battlefield make a more 40k trailer than an actual 40k game

youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ

Pay the fuck attention, whoever on the Deathwing team decided female mariachi rap was a good idea for a gothic setting trailer.

This is how you do fitting, anachronistic music. This game is so much more brutal and 40k-esque it's painful to watch the DW trailer anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PQDK6x1i8jY
youtube.com/watch?v=IuRxjjcPgOo
youtube.com/watch?v=lmVsOl9qAhs
youtube.com/watch?v=FRnabRRi1ik
youtube.com/watch?v=15VhmNB_6Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=eh99b0a3hF0
youtu.be/sHqanal52Gk?t=28
youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr3OI
youtube.com/watch?v=ng8RRiWFdEg
youtube.com/watch?v=moATxAhX-HY)
youtube.com/watch?v=txpwTG7KP3k)
youtube.com/watch?v=oiOJ07nyfM4
youtube.com/watch?v=kXcs1Vv3YlE
youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ
youtube.com/watch?v=O0YxeTjFn70
youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw
youtube.com/watch?v=SGNxebZXOxA
youtube.com/watch?v=_v4n6srZxDY
youtube.com/watch?v=M7fkViCihRA
vmashup.com/ucYUtLHN
youtube.com/watch?v=cJxCZxYfjdM
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897
youtube.com/watch?v=B6hRDS3LvQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IXHIRsJRZDA
youtube.com/watch?v=TzpOZE3Sw7g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

...are you high?

Seven Nation Army is the most bland, overdone garbage that exists you fucking idiot.

And still manages to sound better than youtube.com/watch?v=PQDK6x1i8jY

Sorry but "I'm a hipster" isn't a valid justification for crap.

>the Deathwing team decided female mariachi rap was a good idea for a gothic setting trailer
What?

youtube.com/watch?v=IuRxjjcPgOo

>Motorhead, 1916.
>There is nothing more suitable for this game, lest we forget the horrors and glorify a war we can scarcely imagine watching.

As someone who usually listens to dad rock I'd agree with you but I've been listening to that song on loop for the past 48 hours and humming it while at work.

Anyway, has anyone on Veeky Forums ever done a WWI campaign? I think it's an interesting idea.

I mean, literally any sabaton doing would have worked better. Shit you could probably contract then to write an entirely new song.

Good god damn why the white stripes though? What an awful band.

Ah, so EA watched the End of the Line trailer, I see. youtube.com/watch?v=lmVsOl9qAhs

Or Iron Maiden, instead they went for a shitty pop rock band that has a vague reference to war with seven nation army.

This is how you do a fantasy game cinematic

youtube.com/watch?v=FRnabRRi1ik

What a waste of good trips, anyway, the new Deathwing trailer was great and i hope DoW 3 is worth it

God damn you're a new level of retard. I never said the Deathwing trailer was good, just that the BF1 trailer's choice of music is about as generic and thoughtless as you can possibly get.

I quite like their two first albums.
I'm right now discovering their latest and I'm less than convinced.

Jesus that broke me down.

Fuck off, OP.
I like White Stripes, but Seven Nation Army is a TERRIBLE choice for a game set during The Great War.
I'd personally have liked an ironic use of a period appropriate war song.
For example:
youtube.com/watch?v=15VhmNB_6Y4

>their latest

Didn't they break up nearly a decade ago or something? You're right, though, De Stijl is the fucking shit. I'd take everything up to White Blood Cells, everything after was kinda bad.

The trailer could have been straight up war drums and Georgian chants to the glory of the emperor and youd bitch is was more of the same.

The problem is you.

Okay, I just watched it and now I want to see the Deathwing riding around in lowrider rhinos or something.

I dunno, I started listening like two year sago, got the two first albums and stopped there. I've not been a dedicated follower of any band since I decreased my consumption of various types of metal something like 5 years ago. Currently I'm only vaguely keeping an eye on Trollfest and Blues Explosion.

Mariachi rap is better than Seven Nation Army. It's like fucking Walking on Sunshine at this point.

>Hurr, but dey distorted it
Which makes it worse than in its original form.

A lot of songs were a bit too cheerful at the start of the war.

youtube.com/watch?v=eh99b0a3hF0

youtu.be/sHqanal52Gk?t=28

A lot of the truly sad songs were written after the war, sometimes well after.

youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr3OI

Interestingly, Irving Berlin wrote some a fairly biting anti-war piece:youtube.com/watch?v=ng8RRiWFdEg (better version youtube.com/watch?v=moATxAhX-HY) (weirder version: youtube.com/watch?v=txpwTG7KP3k)

And as we all know, of course, Ol' Irving changed his views pretty fast and became a proper, American, patriotic icon.

Before

If you liked the first two I'd recommend taking the step to get their third album, it's a classic. This is all subjective, of course.

If you're into metal you should give the new Amon Amarth album a listen, it's pretty Veeky Forums.

>Sabaton

t. I like cargo shorts

>judging a game based on a song selection for a trailer released a year before the game goes live

I dont even know what to say.

Would have preferred something less modern:

youtube.com/watch?v=oiOJ07nyfM4

>Glitch Mob soundtrack for an FPS
>Anything other than Warrior Concerto
Dun goofed, EA.

I know right? Thats some heavy stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=kXcs1Vv3YlE

Y'know, Battlefield 1 is the first time I've started questioning the morality of historical war shooters. The extent it glorifies these wars is troubling.

>A lot of songs were a bit too cheerful at the start of the war.
That's the whole idea.
Trailer starts off all heroic and shit, shipping off to Europe to whup the huns but good, and be home for Christmas, waving goodbye to his wife and young son, and then when he gets to the front, things take a darker turn. Lots of shots of intense, brutal, close combat here. Shotgun blasts to the face at close range, trench knives in the throat, a body crushed by the treads of a Mk. 1 tank, that kinda thing. Blood. Everywhere. During this segment though, include those moments of the good. Sharing a bar of chocolate from home with the lads, a bottle of wine while sheltering from rain in a French barn, the moments of brotherhood and decency that shine through all that. Then finish out the trailer with him coming home, alive but... changed. Something weary behind his eyes, as he greets his wife and son at the train station.

Viral marketing isn't allowed on this site. Either buy a self serve ad or fuck off back to r/shekels

>That's always been an issue for me with the Modern Warfare kinda stuff. I grew up on military bases, it was hard to reconcile seeing these guys day-to-day with a game that turned their service into...well, a game.
CoD games (up to 4 or WaW I think) used to display quotes from famous people during loading screens and after you died. Most of them related the horrors of war or were outright anti-war, to help give the players a sense of perspective in between shooting Nazis. The WW2 Medal of Honor games did something similar.

Paradoxically, the jump to a modern setting caused this to stop. Somehow when the games moved to a war that was still ongoing (or plausible in the near future) they came to glorify the fighting more. I'm not sure if it was a shift in player culture, developer culture, or both, but it's certainly noticeable.

Based on the Battlefield 1 trailer it looks like DICE is going to continue the same tone into what is indisputably the most horrifying war ever wage.

I thought the DW trailer was baller

>m-muh mariachi shit!

Kek, this is how I know you're 12.

Deathwatch trailer was perfectly fine, stay mad.

OP confirmed babby who wouldn't know quality if it shoved it's dick up his ass.

then again, op's ass is so wide at this point from EA and Activision that he wouldn't even feel it.

They only stopped for Black Ops, I think. The first Modern Warfare had quotes during death too.

The story of the first Black Ops was pretty pessimistic already, if I remember correctly.

>wub wub
>40k
Maybe for some faggy Eldar our Tau race but not for the Imperium you turbo fag. Also the mariachi was odd but neat.

Really? The first time?

Time to warm up those critical thinking muscles.

That might be a good game, but it's not this game. This game is a modern on-rails console shooter bolted to a a team-based multiplayer experience. None of that says "deep exploration of the horrors of war" to me. This isn't Spec Ops: the Line here.

>Also the mariachi was odd but neat.

Shit opinion discarded.

>This isn't Spec Ops: the Line here.
>Spec Ops: the Line
>deep
They had to remove the ability to NOT use the white phosphorous because testers who DIDN'T KNOW about the civilians were refusing to use it. They force you to do a bad thing, then try to make you feel like you somehow made a choice there. It'd be like if I texted you a picture of my cock, then called you a faggot for having a picture of another dude's cock on your phone.
The game was a neat twist on Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, but its primary "point" falls flatter than a 12 year old boy.

>actually defending shitty rap
>with female vocals
>for 40k

More like the problem is you and your shitty strawman. "You would have bitched even if it weren't as shit" doesn't change shit from being shit.

And on top of all that, the gameplay was mediocre to bad, too. I enjoyed the game well enough, but its no Six Days in Fallujah.

I hate the fucking white stripes. DGAF what anybody says, they're garbage.

Fuck you I liked it.

It was good until she started rapping. Doesn't fit Deathwing unless you make an obtuse DW = Native American = Wild West = Mexican leap.

Well you must admit, compared to Battlefield campaigns, it's a Proustian masterpiece of themes and meaning.

Black ops storyline is kinda shit.

>the jump to a modern setting caused this to stop
When you try to seriously explore recent military events in a video game, rather than just making what amounts to a cheesy action flick in game form, people get offended and your publisher pussies out, in spite of your project being started at the behest of a bunch of the guys who were actually there, as a means of sharing their experience and helping others to better understand what they went through.
Vidya have amazing potential as a way to share experiences with people, but as long as the general public just sees them as toys, they'll never be able to realize it, because any attempt at more serious subject matter is accused of "trivializing" or "cheapening" the events explored.

I dunno. I recently did a playthrough of MW2 for old times sake and it really does quite abit to drive home how bad war can be.

No Russian aside, the fights through sub-urban USA, the walk through the bunker and the great number of bodybags and wounded soldiers and then trying to claw your way through the ruins of DC.

I think MW sold their War is Hell bit pretty well.

We don't need the music to fit thematically with the particular astartes chapter, especially in a medium-length trailer. The point of the track is to enforce the scene's tone and match up with the action beats of whatever's happening. The song they chose created a dolorous and slightly mysterious tone, before becoming intense. The beats in the rap matched up with different weapons, before going to the trumpets with all the terminators doing their killing as a single unit. It would have been very easy for them to just put Latin chanting which builds up and goes towards a single crescendo; or even worse, ninety seconds of generic action rock from two decades ago or more.

youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

Fuck you, the deathwing shit was cool

Honestly better use of the song than EA's. Probably because they actually remixed it instead of just playing the song straight.

All argument aside, we can all agree that activision are going to burn in a special circle of hell for raping bowie's corpse with THEIR trailer, right?

>>with female vocals

That matters for some reason? Now I KNOW your 12

Say what you want about Blizz. Their art department does good work.

ITT modern songs that would have made more appropriate trailer music for BF1
youtube.com/watch?v=O0YxeTjFn70

Pity the vocals don't fit. But that's probably unavoidable for studios without the budget and/or internal talent to record their own music.

Now lets look at that trailer from the perspective of a marketing department: It was released in February last year. People are still arguing over the music choice which means two things:
- New people keep hearing about Deathwing every time the argument happens
- They aren't hearing anything bad about the game. Just the music choice in the trailer.

>Pity the vocals don't fit

What part of, "I have short hair," did you not understand? It's a song about the destructive effects of hairesy.

It's an odd choice of song, but some of the lyrics actually seem fitting for a Space Hulk game, especially that first stanza. And it's not a bad song in of itself.

Those long uneven lines
Standing as patiently
As if they were stretched outside
The Oval or Villa Park,
The crowns of hats, the sun
On moustached archaic faces
Grinning as if it were all
An August Bank Holiday lark;

And the shut shops, the bleached
Established names on the sunblinds,
The farthings and sovereigns,
And dark-clothed children at play
Called after kings and queens,
The tin advertisements
For cocoa and twist, and the pubs
Wide open all day;

And the countryside not caring:
The place-names all hazed over
With flowering grasses, and fields
Shadowing Domesday lines
Under wheat’s restless silence;
The differently-dressed servants
With tiny rooms in huge houses,
The dust behind limousines;

Never such innocence,
Never before or since,
As changed itself to past
Without a word – the men
Leaving the gardens tidy,
The thousands of marriages,
Lasting a little while longer:
Never such innocence again.

When a thread goes off-topic, isn't it supposed to be over the pic, not the song?
We're putting in effort above and beyond, here, is all I'm saying.

The only song that should play in a Space Hulk made from Imperial ship debris:

youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw

>SPONSONS ARE RETARDED
>MUH HULL THICKNESS
>JEWS CAUSED BOTH WORLD WARS

It's not really off topic.
OP was praising the song choice because he has shit taste.

If you think the mariachi music is better you can't really criticize others' tastes.

>implying the trailer isn't good despite the music
>implying the music doesn't interfere with the trailer as hard as the DW one

So good taste is white female rappers?

youtube.com/watch?v=SGNxebZXOxA

I know it's already a 40k game, but that music at 1:35 was perfect.

Deathwing trailer was cool. But I'm somebody who can actually have some lighthearted fun and doesn't need to take all the grimderpness super seriously.

Also this is obviously the music they should have used for Battlefield.

youtube.com/watch?v=_v4n6srZxDY

I don't know why they've decided to abandon their classic theme. It's more suitable for a World War 1 game than for any of the modern games they've put out.

WHY DIDNT THEY USE THE CLASSIC THEME???

Reeeeeeeee

>Battlefield WWII was called 1942
>Battlefield Modern warfare was called 2, like in 2000
>Battlefield WWI is called 1
I am sure there were no tanks in 1000AC

Because it is a reboot of the saga, like Battlefront.
They want you to forget about the good ol times.

>Shotgun blasts to the face at close range
Fuck me, this might be a hard game for the historically inclined.
youtube.com/watch?v=M7fkViCihRA
This guy did a good job, but still has holes.
Europeans didn't use shotguns as they were historically hunting weapons and insulting to use on a man, when the Americans brought them at first they were disgusted they would use a weapon like that on a man, and then they saw the kill rates, even so they didn't see long term use. Also the best shots with it were tasked with shooting grenades out of the air.

Also that's an english flamethrower design.

That's because the song goes over your head you retard. It's a reference to Spanish Fascism and uses Spanish Catholic religious music. Using it is one big reference to the Dark Angels being Catholic Space Knights.

Trollfest is the reason that, whenever they appear in my setting, they're Balkanized. Balkan music just has that hint of hyperactivity and basedness that befits the chaotic nature that your average folklore troll has. Add to that Sliwowicz, fucking awesome gibberish language, will constantly talk shit about other trolls but they all agree that the Albanian trolls are the worst, and best above all: They all love the troll version of Goran Bregovic.

Perfect fantasy race, Dwarves can git rekt.

I am still mad that they don't use the original battlefield theme

I thought it was good after 1.10. Gave it a sort of desperadoes last stand vibe

Some /k/ommando did it better.

vmashup.com/ucYUtLHN

Second, I love the Mexican/Spanish trumpet, for some reason it seems fitting with the Angel themed chapters like DA and BA. Especially the heroic/mournful stuff.

>tfw you'll never slaughter heretics in Battlefield 30k

That music is anything but mariachi you retard.

Why the hell are you getting angry?
It's OP who called it mariachi music, and I hadn't seen the trailer until it was mentionned in this thread. I was genuinely wondering what they were talking about.

Then have you not seen a single WW2 shooter?

Actually their disgust was primarily because, thanks to the lack of a trigger disconnector and the premiere infantry weapons of the day being bolt-action rifles, single-stack pistols, and largely immobile water-cooled machine guns, a man with a shotgun had the capacity to turn a trench into a lake of blood and the mobility to get there quickly. One of the most painful casualties of WWI was the mentally of War as a gentlemanly, noble pursuit, which simply couldn't hold up in the face of advancing technology.

Is there a game about playing a bunch of mismatched, ugly, noisy monsters? Except pic related?

>They force you to do a bad thing
>force
Yeah, it's not like you could refuse to do it and exit the game.

That's called a cinematic and it literally takes a couple afternoons to put together. If you're going to reference old Blizzard's greatness at least post the Brood War intro or somthing.

I'm sorry, I payed $60 for a game with the intention of PLAYING said game, not quitting halfway through because the developers' approach to moral dilemmas has all the subtlety of Gallagher.

*Animatic, rather.

I just wanted the original theme back. I mean we still have the orchestral 1943 theme but still.

I would have rathered Battlefield: 2143

Nope, we're tired of Sci-Fi shooters apparently.

I like the original trailer for deathwing. I don't get what people's problems with it are.

That being said, the ecstasy of gold version is better.

youtube.com/watch?v=cJxCZxYfjdM

Apparently.

I'm still baffled at how the general gaming public is shitting all over Activision and Call of Doop doops while absolutely choking on the EA Battlefield dick.
Like there are major gameplay differences sure but when boiled down the two companies are more or less the same shitty type so how's EA winning this one right now?

I just want my dumb TITAN fights with the stupid drop-pod APCs again man.
WWI is an interesting subject that isn't covered often but I really don't think DICE will give it the seriousness and somberness it deserves.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897

There's a fundamental disconnect between the horrors of the first world war (you're insignificant and powerless in the face of titanic forces and mechanized slaughter, basically meat thrown into a grinder) and the realities of a multiplayer FPS (WHOO I SHOT TONS OF GUYS WITH A COOL GUN, ME AND MY FRAT BRO CHAD ARE DOMINATING THIS MATCH! I GOT SHOT? SAD TIMES BRO, I'LL MEET YOU WHEN I RESPAWN)

The only bit of the war which would seem to work from the FPS point of view is trench raiding, though that was more commonly carried out with a clutch of grenades and a home-made club or dagger.

The last shot in the trailer reminds me of the story of the first zeppelin to get shot down. The Germans had been using them to bomb the UK since 1915, but fighter aircraft and AA were unable to damage them. In September 1916 one Leefe Robinson, whose aircraft was equipped with incendiary bullets for the task, managed to catch up to one and set it on fire by unloading all of his ammunition into it. Crowds watching from below bellowed out the national anthem as the German crew leapt to their deaths from the blazing airship.

>Something something "Alternate" WW1 setting

I agree on that. I understand why people don't like the rapping but since it's not the cinematic release or similar i think its better to set the tone because thats also a way of telling the people how's the pace of your game to be

>It's an autist shoehorns something they like into something else and calls it better episode

Better change the channel.

My fucking lad, Larkin is the shit

Yeah, I think uh... I think it would have been better if they used a 'happy' WWI patriotic song and just showed the horrors of war.

youtube.com/watch?v=B6hRDS3LvQQ

youtube.com/watch?v=IXHIRsJRZDA

youtube.com/watch?v=TzpOZE3Sw7g

I particularly like the last one, because you can still end the with the final shot where a guy is staring down a zeppelin and hit it with the last line of the chorus...