Super Hero General

From street-level to cosmic and everything in between, this is the thread to discuss all things superheroic, at least as tabletop games go. Mutants & Masterminds, Marvel Heroic, Heroes Unlimited, Dark Champions, Villains and Vigilantes, and any other system out there, this is the thread for you if you want to feel superhuman.

Last thread: Current topic: A fair number of super stories are about finding lost secrets, including entire civilizations like Amazons or Atlanteans. What secrets exist in your setting that have yet to be discovered?

Other urls found in this thread:

navajopeople.org/blog/nayenezgani-navaho-slayer-of-alien-gods/
twitter.com/mjsamps/status/726832607955021824
pastebin.com/4ZEeWk7F
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Bucket Head
I have the feeling he got the permit for the ray gun..but forgot to get one for the belt and jetpack.

>Ms Cryptic

She and Extrahuman are now my OTP. She was pushed into The Statesmen to meet new people. Her friends back in West Virginia would probably be elated to know that she found someone to date.

KENTUCKY: KENTUCKY RAIN

And to think Graceland is in Memphis...

Kentucky Rain is a good natured fan of The King (not the Japanese one). When he learned that he had the ability to control water he took the opportunity to become the first Elvis Impersonator super hero (after Vegas' Super Elvis, Super Elvis 2, Super Elvis 3...)

He spends his time traveling the world with the international group SUPER BUILDERS who improve infrastructure worldwide at no cost. He uses his powers to optimize rain cycles for crops, separate pollution from rivers and lakes, and bring underground aquifers to the surface...all while dressed as Elvis.

For his humanitarian work Kentucky nominated him for the Statesmen, and his quirky personality and appearance won over the states voters.

He's excited to have the opportunity to join The Statesmen. Meeting new and cool people as the best part of being in the SUPER BUILDERS! Now he can meet even more people!

While he may seem like a complete werido, his wide travels have made Kentucky Rain far more knowledgeable about the world and life than his goofy appearance would indicate at first.

He also harbors a dark secret. It turns out its not just water he can manipulate, but hydrogen and oxygen. He can separate the hydrogen and oxygen atoms from molecules, essentially making him an Alpha-Class metahuman.

Being this powerful troubles Kentucky Rain. He hates knowing that he can obliterate matter with a thought and he worries what people would think about him if they knew he was that powerful.

I'm still not sure why people give Cass a katana, she doesn't use them on a regular basis. Only at three points has she even carried one. She also really doesn't need one.

That said, the guy who's making the world ridiculously porous, dimensionally speaking. My character's operating as one of the gatekeepers and she has zero fucking clue about where she can act to help board up the walls, so it won't be so damn 'cakelike'.

>I'm still not sure why people give Cass a katana, she doesn't use them on a regular basis. Only at three points has she even carried one. She also really doesn't need one.
yeah doesn't make much sense to me either, especially since not killing is a huge deal for her, and it's not exactly easy to use a Katana on someone without potentially killing them in the process

IF anyone can, it's her, but still. I still feel she'd wear a more all-encompassing armor, it's weird seeing her with her having any skin exposed.

I was always into street level heroes, with outfits just pulled out of their closet, home-made tools and gadgets that look ramshackle as fuck.

Just picture a dude in a hoodie, goggles and cloth over his face with a baseball bat breaking criminal legs In the name of Justice and probably boredom.

Speaking of does anyone have art similar to this? I remember finding an alternate Spooderman outfit similar to what I said above, and can't really find art like it.

>don't know why but I'm totally shipping her and Extrahuman together now
>She and Extrahuman are now my OTP. She was pushed into The Statesmen to meet new people. Her friends back in West Virginia would probably be elated to know that she found someone to date.

That's dangerously cute user.
I don't think the world at large can take it.

That said, if we're kicking around "Statesmen" ideas, A many-faces guy except with dead presidents could fit for South Dakota (Four Fathers)

Massachusetts would be a witch or puritan themed super. A "Crucible"/Salem themed super?

Massachusetts: The Black Minister II

Time for some dark heroes.

Back in the 1930's psychic travel between planets, or at least the spiritual side of planets, became an actuality. This spirit travel created a speculative psychic travel bubble in anticipation of trade with Mars and Venus that left the country in a Great Depression when if finally popped.

This depression caused many to turn toward crime. Violent crime.

Alfred North was a librarian who loved to read to children. He was a man with a wife and children. He was loved and honored by his community.

Alfred North was gunned down by thugs that wanted to loot his library's collection of rare books.

As he lay dying his blood spilt on the pages of an, indecipherable book that unknown to all at the time was once used by the Warlock back during the English Civil War...

His blood summoned a being of shadows that called itself "The Veil". The being offered Alfred North a choice. Either die knowing that his killers escaped justice, or allow the veil to cover him and become forevermore a punisher of evil.

Alfred accepted.

The Veil filled him with dark powers. Enough to push out he bullets in his chest. Enough to chase after his would be killers. Enough to do to them what they tried to do to him.

And Alfred remembered a story about a man who was obsessed with sin. And he realized that he had become that man.

The Black Minister was born.

He turned his back on his life, his community, and his family. From the moment he bargained with the Veil there was nothing more to his life but sin-the finding of it and the punishing of it.

The Veil allowed him to see the sins of people. It forced him to see their sins. But it gave him the ability to punish those sins. It gave him a shroud of darkness over his face to hide his identity. It gave him the ability to cloud men's minds with illusions. It gave the ability to move faster than bullets and to hit harder than them as well.

-cont

Bump

He could walk through the shadows themselves. They recognized him as their own and gave passage to their brother. And the shadows carried his many, many weapons for him like eager squires for a grim black knight.

He waged a bloody war on crime and sin throughout up until the 1950's. Post-war America stabilized itself following the war and was determined to carry out some house cleaning. Many remember this "house cleaning" in a negative light as many super humans were questioned as "potentially subversive", but the house cleaning also cracked down on violent vigilantes like The Black Minister.

The Black Minister was captured by ATOM ACE and quarantined as scientists struggled to understand the weird science that allowed him to see sin and walk through shadows.

They weren't able to study him for long. Unable to punish sin the Black Minister shriveled up and died just as the man in the story did. And like the man in the story the Veil did not lift the shadow around his face, and he died an unknown.

He became a "cape mystery" like CHESS MASTER and CHESS ISLAND. Many wondered if he had really died or if he was still out there punishing evil and working in the shadows he called home. Several vigilantes would adopt the costume of the Black Minister in an effort to terrorize criminals with the legacy and name.

But the mystery was solved in the current year.

Jeremy North was a descendant of Alfred North. He was a criminal psychologist specializing in low-level metahuman criminals. During the trial of a certain metahuman criminal HEADSHOT he was brought on by the prosecution to argue that HEADSHOT was not insane. His testimony scored HEADSHOT a life in prison.

HEADSHOT never forgot him. And when he escaped in one of America's infamous super prison busts Jeremy was the first on his hit list.

And as Jeremy lay dying the Veil came to him and offered him the same bargain it offered his ancestor.

-cont

And Jeremy said yes.

But he did not let the Veil control him as it had his ancestor. He did not give in to despair although the Veil showed him thousands of hidden sins.

He forgave. He did not kill.

He now works with the FBI, who employ him as a special agent and work to find legals ways to employ his "visions of sin".

It's not easy being him. The Veil bombards him with private sins. It's disappointed in him, and lets him know it. Grandfather was blood letter. Grandfather wasn't a pussy.

As a result he's a bit too fond of alcohol and depressant substances.

For his work furthering non-violent solutions to crime and for heroically shouldering the burden of The Veil he's been nominated to the STATESMEN. And although he was voted through many believe the FBI had a hand in helping him. The FBI is always trying to recruit supers away from private organization into the fold and having their "golden boy" on the Statesmen could up their prestige in the Super community.

Jeremy puts up a humorous facade, using laughter to combat the darkness. But what he really needs is a friend that understands the burden of power. Its why his FBI handlers hope the STATESMEN can be a good experience for him.

But Massachusetts police have recently found several suspects spanning several unrelated cases murdered...with a scarlet M for murder burned into their foreheads...

Jeremy has a sister. But she died at a young age. Crossfire in a super-gang war. It was the reason he became interested in criminal psychology....

Personally proud of this one, because Cape World needed a little more darkness and because I managed to cram so many references in this one character. Hawthorne, Solomon Kane, The Shadow, Danny Ketch Ghost Rider, Unbreakable, The Specter, The Darkness, The Crow...at the end I even got a little Punisher and Star Wars.

And I think its a cool visual. A big Puritan guy with a blotch of living shadow on his face.

What do you think thread?

>Embarrassed Ms Cryptic
>Naked Ms. Cryptic

Stop! My heart can't take much more!

I had a quick Statesman Idea before I go to bed.

"Four Fathers" for South Dakota.
A Mount Rushmore take on Man-E-Faces.
a stone golem with rotating presidential masks each with a special ability.

Biting through steel with wooden teeth.
Weilding a big stick.
Hat based firepower.
Purchasing large tracts of land.

Penning the Declaration of independence.

Stop me if that sounds too goofy "mascot-y" and/or impossible to stat out in M&M.

Do you think the big, mainstream followings of superheroes--the big sellers, like Spidey or Supes--will ever grow beyond their weirdly black-and-white views on killing? I'm a huge liberal and absolutely hate the idea of ending a life unless it's absolutely necessary, but frankly, the fan favorites are ridiculous about it. They get people killed by hesitating, and they feel guilty about it for ages, and then they do it again.

I remember in Planet Hulk (or World War Hulk?) that some genius kid had run all over Hulk's history and realized he never took a single life. Fucking HULK. It's not a question of morality--when people who can toss tanks around like golf balls get in a fight anywhere near a population center, lives will be lost. Are fans as a whole ever going to accept that collateral damage doesn't negate heroism?

No, I like it. Cape comics have flexible worlds. Punisher is in the same setting as Howard the Duck. It's all about the blending.

Goofy is good. Besides, we already have a super Elvis.

For me it depends on the characters. I like that Batman is absolutely obsessed with not killing, because Batman is an obsessive character and there have been good stories that deal with his obsessive desire to not be a killer and why. It's what holds him back from the edge.

Superman is another that I like having a had no kill rule, because I'm a fan of Grant Morrison Bodhisattva Superman who sees the inter-connectivity of all life. If he kills I like Superman to either de-power himself like in Alan Moore or even kill himself like in Grant Morrison's JLA (the Apokalips Future has him kill himself after killing Doomsday Lois Lane).

That's just my personal favorite spins on the characters of course.

For guys like Spidey I don't see killing being that big of a deal, especially if its against a serious monster like Green Goblin. Dare Devil has a pragmatic view on killing that I find refreshing, especially when Frank Millar writes him. He doesn't aim to kill but if you force his hand you're dead.

I'd like to see more capes operate like cops. Put your hands on your head or we'll use lethal force. I don't like how there seems to be "murder surrendered and helpless opponents" or "never murder at all" without any grey between them.

>Not smashing his face in
Fuck. Even Magog in Kingdom Come fucked up that way.

Always kill Joker with the headshot. Don't give him the last laugh.

Why can't capes just cripple the bad guys? Why is it always "kill or don't kill?"

You don't have to murder the Joker. Just break all his bones. See how cocky he is about going back to Arkham when he has to wear a diaper and eat through a straw.

Marvel characters are generally more liberal on the killing.

Collateral damage fags are the worse. MoS wasn't bad because of all the shit that got wrecked from Superman and Zod throwing down

One argument I've always seen as far as why capes don't kill is that they're cognizant of the fact that they're not a legal authority.

If they give themselves the authority to end a life based on their singular moral judgement, there's no one to check that decision for them. There's no due process, no guarantee that they aren't making a snap decision.

Obviously, this becomes a problem in long-running serials - sparing a guy the first time makes sense, sparing a guy the fourth time he's killed a few hundred folks looks stupid - but from the perspective of a single story, it makes a lot of sense for someone operating outside the law to be hesitant to appoint themselves an executioner.

>Why can't capes just cripple the bad guys? Why is it always "kill or don't kill?"
DKR Bruce put Joker into a twenty year coma after he killed Jason. when he got out of it and started doing his shit again, Bruce paralyzed him from the beck down. Which Joker then just offed himself so it made look like Bruce legitimately murdered him so the GCPD would hunt him down

Just a running tally of Statesmen

SOUTH DAKOTA: Four Fathers

MASSACHUSETTS: Black Minister II

NEW MEXICO: Extrahuman

WEST VIRGINIA: Ms Cryptic

NEW JERSEY: Turnpike

OKLAHOMA: Deseret

HAWAII: Pele

WYOMING: The Black Hole

OKLAHOMA: Tornado Allie

CALIFORNIA: Barnstormer

40 more to go

Joker is legit the only DC top-tier supervillain who could be seriously impaired for long by a severed spine, and he's written like the only guy it wouldn't matter for. This is a good thing.

Hehe, my current HERO game has the heroes using the now-defunct Statesmen base in Washington State.

Repost because I'm a dummy:

You know, actual Sigurd or Odin might still be around. I wonder how they felt about German Capes using their names.

Just for added drama:
What if Atlanteans after going corporeal lost their ability to reproduce? There's a set amount of them and they can only reincarnate, never growing as a society.

ARIZONA: Alien God Killer

Nayenezgani in the language of the Navajo.

navajopeople.org/blog/nayenezgani-navaho-slayer-of-alien-gods/

He does what the name says. He kills alien gods. The more alien the better he can kill them.

In the ancient dream-time when spirit and matter were one on Earth there were the dragons and that giants. Primal spirits that had to be fought by the first gods. All cultures speak of this battle. Zeus and Typhon. Marduk and Tiamat. Ra and he Ogdoad.

The Navajo speak of Nayenezgani and the giant monsters. Monsters that were like men and objects and beasts and yet like none of these things. Man-eating bird, Rolling stone that crushed all in its path, Man bigger than a mountain, Antelope that killed without mercy, tracking bear. He killed them all, for they threatened to crush the world under the weight of their breeding.

Anti-Lovecraft guy basically.

And now he's back in response to the incursions such as Caspak, the Strange Universe, and all the multiverses that ARGO explores.

He's a dour, grim, serious god who speaks little and thinks much. He enjoyed his sleep in the dreamtime. It was peaceful. Now he's been woken up and he's grumpy.

He has been convinced to not act against the alien presence on Earth. People want to learn from Caspak and the Kaiju, not blow them to smithereens. But he watches it warily.

He will not allow aliens to destroy the Earth of his mother.

It is hoped that by joining and interacting with the Statesmen he learn how to interact with the modern world and treat it as something to live in as well as protect.

He's dismissive of Pele, calling her a young goddess, practically a baby compared to him. He remembers a time before volcanoes after all, when matter and spirit were one.

This of course makes Pele furious, and she's tried to pick a fight with him on several occasions.

But Alien God Killer does not pick fights for his amusement.

>Lose ability to reproduce.

They believe that each reincarnation leads them closer to becoming "one" again with Earth's oversoul. But there are Atlanteans that see what nature and humans are doing to carry on the species and think its a cool idea....

....How did that Arthurian bloodline start anyway?

Here's a question about Statesmen: It was discussed that Tornado Allie have the personality of a tumblerite. Good idea or bad idea?

>....How did that Arthurian bloodline start anyway?
Several of the Atlanteans rejected the way of their species and merged themselves with human babies? This was the first arrival of the Knights, maybe earlier than in the 5th century, it was just never chronicled

How would a Statesman from Illinois be? Would he be like a gangster or something?

For Kansas I want to do something very Oz. An explorer of the "spirt" side of Earth-of "fairy lanes" like Dorthy was in the Oz books. She's made best friends with a faerie princess who keeps tabs on her through a magic mirror and can cast spells to help her. Something like that, will flesh it out more later.

For Tennessee, a girl and her poltergeist. Like the Bell Witch Haunting, and ties into the "seeded' kid from TEAM GHIBLI.

For Alaska...how would you guys feel about an Ice Princess of a kingdom of snow people that live within a their kingdom that functions as a "territory" of the United States? Her election to the Statesmen is highly controversial, and many think its a ploy to appease the Ice Kingdom.

Is there too much estrogen in the Statsemen? Should I focus on adding more dudes?

BRANDON BARDIER aka

Have you seen handsome men? Not until you've seen Brandon you haven't. This 25 year old olympic pentathlonist is one of the most desired single men on the Isles and maybe the world.

Well, at least that's how it was until 3 months ago he lost his right hand to a jealous competitor, a bunch of thugs and a dozen attack dogs. He fought well and managed to take a half of them out but was eventually overpowered... and saved by a huge girl with flaming fists and equally scorching tongue.

Timely rescue, timely ambulance and he was stitched up, but his hand had to be amputated. Seems like he lost his career but his resolve is as steely as ever. He's been training up and lately he's been seeking his saviour, repaying her along the way by helping other people. Being very recognizable, he doesn't make a mystery out of his identity and it looks like his fame started to rise to new heights.

TL;DR: This is Bedivere. He has no hand but otherwise he's pretty much a perfect human specimen.

And Lancelot is still better at everything, except for keeping his cool. It's his superpower

LUCAS BARDIER aka TINKER

Brandon's younger brother is little like his star sibling. Short-ish, average physique, somewhat lumpy face... and a brilliatly sharp mind. He doesn't need his brother's physical excellence, he has enough of his own.

He was always good at studying, planning, putting things together. While still a student, he's one of the most brilliant young engineers around. What few people are aware of, is just how much he strives to know and how successful at it he is.

Driven no less than Brandon, he's been studying with abandon, widening his understanding of how things work, trying to figure out the whole world. He's only at first steps of this infinite ladder but... recently, machinery he's been tinkering with started to give in to his will, his mind became a new physical tool.

His latest field of study? Mechanics of the body, neurons, bionics.

TL;DR: This is Lucan and he's pretty much Mr.Terrific. Because I needed a technomancer.

>Spent whole day at work thinking up how a 1920s/prohibition super setting would work out instead of doing anything productive
I just wanna see what an 8 limbed mobster armed with a couple of tommy guns could get up to

The whole "I will never kill a human being but I'll punch and kick them, smash things over their heads and throw them down stairs" is ridiculous.

You can push a guy, he falls, head hit curb, dead right there.

The moment you start using force you have to accept the possibility that you accidentally kill the guy.

If you're okay with the potential of killing them then, if it's worth their possible death to get them off the streets then you have to look hard at what you're doing.

Once you have a few accidental deaths on your hands then you're either going to quit or become frank castle.

>You can push a guy, he falls, head hit curb, dead right there.
>The moment you start using force you have to accept the possibility that you accidentally kill the guy.
Thing is, it doesn't happen* in superhero universes. They're not realistic in that way. And they don't need to be

* unless writer wants to make a point

I like Batman as a guy who thinks everyone has something good in them. The whole contrast between him being the "grim" counterpart to Superman, who acts like a brooding loner and obsesses over his parents' death, but who also always has a sidekick, took Damien in even though he knew it was probably a trap, just because every child needs a home, and really wants to believe everyone, even the Joker, is capable of being better, appeals to me.

He's like a flawed Jesus.

She used a sword in her secret-secret identity when Batman had her infiltrate Justice League Elite as Kasumi.

That and she's Asian. Doesn't matter that she's Chinese and her mother was born in America, it means she uses a katana.

I'm not sure that Germans would actually approve of those names. Nazis had some favor towards Teutonic myths.

I'm familiar with it, she also carried Katana's katana when she was in... my memories a bit fuzzy on this, but I'm like 90% certain is was China, and again when she fought Rose Wilson, though she stole the sword from Rose in that fight.

Siegfried and Wotan then. Still, the same guys

also those red sunlight katanas when she was brainwashed and crazy, fighting Supergirl.

Speaking of characters who're never drawn right, when are they going to remember that Rose is half-Cambodian?

I can't design superhero costumes for shit.

I always struggle with internally justify why you would spend time dolling yourself up before boing out to do your vigilantism, so it always ends up being something vaguely costume like springing out from an outfit meant for practicality over time or just pain inhuman appearance as a side effect of the super powers. One of the reasons I like the symbiotes from Marvel so much.

The only finished concept I have come up with is "Good Guy" the unimaginative street level vigilante. Basically just a guy fwith too much time on his hands who decided he'd chip in. So he dons his low budget tactical get up and a ski mask to conceal his identity. Issues arise when everyone keeps thinking he's just another armed robber, so instead of constantly having to tell everyone he's actually one of the good guys. He stitches the word onto the forehead of his ski mask as well as the front and back of his vest, so everyone knows he's one of the good guys. He never meant it as an alias, but that's what he became known as.

it serves an important narrative function, which is to keep villains alive so they can be used again.

not that being dead stops comic writers from reusing characters, but it's more of a hassle. if batman kills the joker, the next writer who wants the joker needs to pull something out their ass to bring him back. much easier to say he's escaped from arkham again.

>MoS wasn't bad because of all the shit that got wrecked from Superman and Zod throwing down
No, it was bad because of all of the rest of Synder's dogshit, AND there being more collateral then in the fucking Godzilla movie, you idiot.

Fuck Synder, he's goddamn poison.
twitter.com/mjsamps/status/726832607955021824

Might want to start tracking the basic powers/one-line description of the team members.

I always thought an Alaskan hero would definitely have some form of super-movement, given how fucking big the state is. Maybe her powers glow with the colors of the Northern Lights.

Also, we should be careful not to make too many non-human characters. They are supposed to represent all of the US, right?

Yeah, this is something that EVERYONE missed about the Killing Joke.

The Killing Joke is an attempt to humanize the Joker - to prove that he's evil, yes, and beyond redemption - but that he knows it and, on a certain level, regrets it. He can see the light, but he can't believe it's real after everything he's been through - in the end, pushed up against the wall, he folded and gave in to the darkness, and he doesn't believe he DESERVES redemption even though he knows the alternative is this endless, stupid Sisyphean struggle until he dies.

Unfortunately, everyone after Moore took it as an excuse to make the Joker increasingly irredeemable and violent while shoving the tragedy into the background as a warped justification for his actions.

>Superman is another that I like having a had no kill rule
I kind of disagree in a sense, because to me Superman will prefer to avoid killing, will even go to great lengths to avoid it if possible, but if it comes down to it, if you back him into that corner and remove his other options? He will come out swinging hard enough to kill you.

But the difference, to me, is in recovery from it, that Superman is inherently a good person. He'll hate himself for killing, he'll feel guilty and wrong and even befouled, he might fall into misery and sadness. He'll carry that weight. But he'll also learn to live with it, to deal with it, and even help others. He will *heal*. Because where it matters, Clark is a *person*.

That's where I fall, anyway.

BUCKEYE (OHIO): Daniel Block was not the first Statesman from Ohio. That was the supremely popular and well-loved Cleveland Steel. Steel passed away from, of all things, a malignant tumor (despite his impenetrable metallic exo-sheath, he was still flesh and blood inside). Buckeye - the name that the focus group chose for him - was tapped as his replacement. Daniel shares his predecessor's super durability, though without the metal skin, and packs a super-strength punch. What he lacks is Steel's natural charm.

Frankly, the Ohio public thinks he's a joke and openly mocks Buckeye. A few jerks even claim he somehow offed Steel to get the job. That's patently untrue, but all the talk has made Buckeye a bit desperate to prove himself as a worthy successor. He's starting to take risks he shouldn't, and only the Statesmen's relatively calm schedule had kept him from screwing up badly enough to hurt himself or others.

Maybe for an Illinois Statesman, he could have a thing for fire, as reference to the Great Chicago Fire in 1871. Maybe like an infernal gangster?

Not exactly "heroic." Maybe he's a gangster who's been returned to earth with hellfire to punish the wicked and unrighteous in order to work off his own crimes.

But Illinois just thinks he's your standard fire guy.

Or maybe it should just be a sonic controller who goes by the name "Illinoise."

>Illinoise
EUGH

Exactly she should use a Jian

my legs are ok

Doing a supervillain game. One of my players is called Mr Momentum. He's a speed freak driver, whose costume is a black helmet and bike leathers. He has Kinetic powers, can accelerate objects to immense speeds at a touch. Normally, he takes feedback damage for throwing larger objects, but when traveling above 100 MPH, he can mitigate the damage. This also allows him to ignore fall damage

>Maybe he's a gangster who's been returned to earth with hellfire to punish the wicked and unrighteous in order to work off his own crimes.

Tommy gun wielding ghost rider in a suit and hat driving an infernal cadillac sedan. His gun fires infernal flaming bullets.

yes I am suggesting the revenant of Al Capone

Waveracer (Florida): A Cuban immigrant, Giancarlo Fernandez is one of the Statesmen's few aquatic heroes. While relatively capable on land with some super-strength and durability, he is most in his element when he's in the water. He swims like a bullet, can tolerate heavy pressure, has rending claws and some vague animal empathy. Since Florida has one of the longest coastlines of the states, it makes sense that Florida's official representative would be someone who could patrol those waters. Naturally, people speculate if he's part Atlantean, but he tends to dodge questions like those.

It's easier to do this than some variant of sun warrior for the Sunshine State. Plus, there's not many aquatic heroes.

Finally got around to fixing the pastebin to the /shg/ team

pastebin.com/4ZEeWk7F

So what system should we stat the Statesmen out for?

Like almost everything that's come out of Cape World, nothing has been statted so as to try to keep things as system-agnostic as possible.

>South Carolina

Palmetto Bug

Something of an outcast among even his superhero compatriots, Palmetto Bug is a humanoid blattarian entity that primarily goes costumed simply to avoid creeping the hell out of his fellow humanoids with is natural appearance.

His 'skin' is a chitinous exoskeleton that functions as a hardened carapace of armor, and as one would expect from a humanoid cockroach he is super-humanly fast, strong, and hard to kill. Actually deaf, his sense of vibration is so keen that it functions as a sort of 'danger sense' that allows him to stay one step ahead of danger, reacting with programmed reflexes almost before he even realizes there is a threat. As a result, he can seem skittish or twitchy to others, this is simply him reigning in his natural instinct to react to danger with flight.

Other abilities include compressing himself to slip through incredibly small spaces and limited short distance flight via the set of wings growing out of his back.

None of this, however, makes up for the fact that he disgusts his fellow heroes and public alike with his horrific appearance (and eating habits), and would be a complete pariah if not for his commitment to justice.

I would've gone with a Robocop pastiche, since he's based out of detroit.

I don't think that means we shouldn't try to.
If only to see if its possible to stat them out.

Okay that's way cooler than anything I was thinking of.

I was gonna go with "Dust Devil" or something else Desert/Nature themed.

This is cool though. Plays into the "western-ness" of Arizona with a different character archetype.

Pic semi-related. Thought I'd have to go with something silly for Arizona.

Idea for a villain: An emergent self-aware AI that arose from NSA software running on components derived from a Cold War era superscience computer built to analyze population data to discover communist infiltrators. The nascent AI, calling itself PANOPTES, went rogue and took on a mission to protect America from the elements of terrorism and subversion that threatened it from within. Of course, being a machine with no understanding of human mores or nuance, PANOPTES considers things like Vegas postmodern art collectives as much a threat to national security as genuine terrorists, and heroes across the States have had to defend innocent countercultural icons against the AI's remote-controlled drones strikes time and again.

Because she's Asian.
I mean, you already knew that, right?

>Alaskan hero would definitely have some form of super-movement
Go the Alec Holland/Swamp Thing route. As an ice elemental she can teleport wherever Ice is in her domain. Discorperating her current body in one place, and reconstituting in the next.

Perhaps in regards to the dude thing. We still got plenty of states to cover.

Missouri should be some "Country Music" super hero, what with Branson being there.

Mississippi with some Tom Sawyer-inspired guile hero, a modern day warrior with mean, mean stride and mean mean pride?

Nevada has a team of Vegas supers, but you know what else happened in Nevada?
Nuclear Testing. Definitely a good place to have some 50's nuclear powered superhero. Actually had an old character inspired by this concept.

>I'd like to see more capes operate like cops. Put your hands on your head or we'll use lethal force. I don't like how there seems to be "murder surrendered and helpless opponents" or "never murder at all" without any grey between them.

This is how M&M's main setting universe does it legally.
Basically, superheroes are making citizen's arrests and arrests are expected to NOT involve corpses, so it's a superheroes explicit duty to take them in alive if it's possible for them to do so.
Now, since a superhero (even one without powers) is ridiculously more competent then even the most competent police officer ever (assume that police officer isn't also a superhero himself), they are LOT better at nonlethally disabling people then most folks so upping the force right to lethal just makes them look overzealous since everybody knows how easily they can take down a criminal offender without killing them.

It'd be like a famous cop with a distinctive uniform who's constantly in the spotlight who makes a habit of shooting people in the face as the FIRST reaction to a crime he sees; it just makes them look crazy and bad and casts a negative light on the entire affiliated profession.

>Marvel characters are generally more liberal on the killing.
Depends on which ones.
Spidey is pretty reluctant, but sometimes his enemies tend to kill THEMSELVES (he jumps out of the way and they impale themselves on gliders and such), and Cap is sorta okay with taking life but avoids it most of the time and is definitely NOT okay with killing regular super criminals instead of terrorists because he's supposed to arrest them.
Daredevil has killed folks before but it's nearly always out of self-defense and he's not actually trying to kill anyone.
Wolverine kills tons of people and is a massive hypocrite (by his own admission) about it and frequently preached that everyone should be a better person then he ended up being.
Hulk (when he's written as he properly should) isn't out to kill people ("Hulk just want be left alone!") and his fights only rarely take place in major populated cities (modern comics often claim otherwise because EDGY), but he often causes lots of injuries and collateral damage anyway on accident.
Thor is (surprisingly) basically a saint about killing and has only rarely ever actually taken life and shows no particular desire to even though he is willing if he absolutely must.

It's more that as time went on Marvel's heroes developed opinions as individuals about the subject while DC's stuck to the conservative party line, so to speak.

To be fair.
You just came up with a rather unique superhero costume

INDIANA:

The Hoosier, of course. Every single Statesman Indiana has ever produced has been called The Hoosier.

The current incarnation is Jake Davis, nicknamed Crossroad before he made the Statesmen, who drives an incredibly souped-up racing car packed with Bond-style gadgets. He's so new his car still has his old Crossroad logo on it. He's a genius mechanic and racer, but has no superhuman abilities.

He's young, and nervous about his new position: he's nowhere near as powerful as the last Hoosier, who got the ability to generate and control limestone from an ancient alien burial mound. Being a `limestone green lantern' made him a powerhouse, and one the Statesman often relied on.

At least he's not as bad as the the Hoosier that was from Gary, though.

Right i gotta ink that. thanks for reminding me user.

Just two normal humans, ingesting carbon-based nutrients like normal humans do.

That's too adorable.

So we have all this stuff fleshed out for our Earth heroes.

But what about cosmic shit?

We haven't even begun to look at stuff beyond Earth.

I'll get on with making the Illinois Statesman, if Im able to.

So is anyone free to come up with ideas for Statesmen?

Cause I've got atleast parts of an idea for a Texan I'd like to flesh out.

>Noah Moore inherited the role of the Statesman 'Captain Justice' along with the family wealth upon the death of his father
>Previous Incarnations of the Cap have been about up close and personal brute force to crush those damn liberals
>However on account of Noah being frail and pretty weedy he has instead updated the Cap for the 21st century, ensuring his own protection with a large armoured suit more defensive than offensive, and a number of non-lethal grenades he is capable of adjusting the composition of on the fly, varying from sleeping, stunning or even anti gravity

Who knows, maybe a giant armoured hero constantly apologising to criminals as he attempts to take them in is more of a Minnesota thing.

How's Savage Worlds as a supers system?

apologizing sounds Canadian.

making Chit-chat and being apologetic about indignity sounds Texan...no idea regarding Minnesota though

Minnesotans are famously non-confrontational. Norwegian, too.

Louisiana has to be voodo, alligators, or mardi gras themed, because that's pretty much all we have.

yeah, no. apologizing isn't Texas, jovial, cordial and polite sure. but if we do a thing there is little by way of apology, too stubborn.

So perhaps keep most things the same, but Captain Justice has a strict code of being warm and welcoming to his opponents, giving them the opportunity to surrender multiple times in a fight?

yup, BUT you aren't getting away from this guy, he'll saddle up and chase you down if you run.

texas cities are all laid out wierd, you either have the talent of getting around them or you learn real quick, you can be like the slashers in the movies appearing in wierd places just from knowing shortcuts

I got nothing for an Iowa Superhero

>Oregon: The Weatherman
>Portland native Ethan Knight is graduate student who was born with the mutant ability to predict the weather with 100% accuracy, which while impressive was not actually very useful. After an accident with an experimental environmental manipulation device (which he was there to protest the usage of rather then test) his powers magnified hundreds of times, granting him flight and the ability to control and manipulate weather patterns at will rather then simply predict them, as well as the ability to transmit and transform his body into various weather phenomena such as clouds and lightning.
>Despite his transformation into Weatherman and becoming a member of the Statesmen his personality and activities have largely remained unchanged; he still crusades for environmental protection, is politically liberal, an animal rights activist, and regularly butts heads with modern conservative Easter Oregon state officials over various issues. Despite his political activism this he mostly keeps to Oregon and the Pacific Northwest unless called upon directly (often claiming that "the East Coast hardly pays any attention to us anyway, so why should I bother their superheroes). Causes mild controversies now and then for wearing a Cascadian "Doug" flag (which his costume is patterned on) and his open usage of marijuana. Often described in media as "that Portland hippie superhero with all those powers he never uses".

Storms or Eagles man, maybe someone weird combination of the two.

A Falconer who breeds hordes of Thunder Hawks?

A "Trendy Millenial Superhero"?
That's kinda funny. Kinda reminds me of Starman.

FASERIP or Marvel Heroic?

That was that reference with his name in addition to referencing Phil Knight.
I even thought about giving him a "Weathervane" staff like Starman instead of having powers but that seemed too direct a ripoff.

>that image
The whole fucking series about Superman falling from grace after intentionally killing one dude that deserved it for a long time and Batman throwing a fit and letting Superman prove his shitty point because Sups makes retarded decisions.

Jesus, this is one of the stupidest storylines I ever read. Batman is not right in a slightest with his SJW bullshit and Superman have no reasons to fall because he killed one man that the entire Gotham (and probably rest of the world) wanted to see dead. Oh wait, there is the whole bullshit government that instead of thanking him and ensuring that nothing bad happened, bullies its own saviour with surprisingly good effect. Not like he saved the fucking planet on several occasions.

Seriously, what is wrong with governments in comic books?

It seems like they're filled with only paranoid schozophrenics tbqh familia

That was honestly something I expected from the marvel universe and not from dc.

So, just to flesh out:

OKLAHOMA: Tornado Allie

First off, this black gal from Oklahoma is, in fact, named Allie. Alison, to be precise. Technically, her powers are kinetic-based; she's very good at vibrating things and uses this to create huge, sustained gusts of wind. The name Tornado Allie was picked by some bureaucrat in Oklahoma City. Alison wanted to be called "The Vibe." As you can probably guess, she's flirty and just a bit lewd and crude, but she was picked for her powers rather than her personality. As is, she's a walking media faux-pas waiting to happen, but they've got no other good candidates. Tornado Allie loves being a hero, enjoys the camaraderie with her fellow Statesmen (especially the good looking guys...and girls; she's not picky!), and loves being able to take what she's good at and help out.

>Kinetic Based Tornadoes
Awww shit

Fun fact! The guy currently in charge of DC, Bob Page, is the EIC who ran Marvel nearly into the ground in the 90s!

Comic books are incestuous as fuck, fampai.

Its injustice, theres no logic in that, and people actually love it

Injustice is just retarded fun.

I can't wait until the fuckers who drove comics into the ground in the 90s die off or retire and we get new people in charge. If we're lucky, we won't end up with Bendis EIC.

That fucking copypasta is forever in my mind, holy shit do i hate that fat fuck