/HHG/

filling in for thread guy during his disappearance edition
Lion moves faster than the speed of magic sub edition

PREVIOUSLY ON /HHG/ Threadanon went missing, the space wolves were discussed, it was established the night lords dont have enough adamantium despite living on a planet whose crust is made from the stuff, people complained about artalax heads, and more in the previous thread Red Book Links:
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fs15Jqk1t%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23!Jx1UGCTI!vMJN89z7p8tiEC7YOAj477g6RxDtJ7culVLF3q3godg
HH Book 6 - Retribution PDF:
mediafire.com/download/8aqx9j3a8erqv8d/The_Horus_Heresy_Book_6_-_Retribution.pdf or
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fkat.cr%2Fthe-horus-heresy-book-6-retribution-pdf-t12199249.html
HHG FAQ - pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8
Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016) - forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf
Other official downloads: forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads#horusheresy
HH Rules:
Crusade Army List: mediafire.com/download/1lprm5vd99yafa3/
Mechanicum Taghmata Army List: mega.nz/#!LFwTjQ7B!mF0eVOY8P1MPT0a-QSXypXo_ZfskhYynD41PrkaTbD8
30k/40k Rules: mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
30k/40k Rules and more (torrents): kat.cr/usearch/"Forge World" heresy user:epistolary/
30k Black Library: mega.nz/#F!0RlxDZQC!qAu9BaubWa3KeihJRmOcsg

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Delgas_II
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What do your Praetors look like, Veeky Forums? Need ideas for converting my own special snowflake.

Vulkan conversion when?

Regular Thread guy here. New modem should be here any time today or tomorrow. In the meantime I'm making a little something for the 1K Sons and SWs release.

when will that be?

Maybe mid-summer, or most likely November or January.

>mid-summer
>or January

Well, that narrows it down.

I can't see in the future, m8. It'll come when it comes.

Why don't we ask Konrad Kurze or Sanguinius?

when did Typhon get all the Death Guard infected? Was that on the way to Terra? Or later like in the Scouring or something? Also can you ally Legions with human levies, because I have about 80 zombicide minis lying around.

What legion are you running m8? Terminator armour or normal power armour?

It was during the fun roadtrip to Terra.

The thing is that Praetors is a generic term for the one of the highest rank in a Legion.

Every legion have his own title, and we know most of the Praetors in every legion by name. There are a few vacancies for our snowflakes, but speaking of knowing how they look like you can just see how the others look like in the artworks.

What's your Legion?

Those are great minis. But the stuff you're asking is the most basic, user. Yes you can ally levy to Legions, they got changed on the way to Terra, afterward they marched their ships to the Eye (because Morty sees everything as space)

They're not the ones with THE highest rank - those are the first captains/Equerries (some of whom aren't even the first captain, like Kharn). A Praetor is a Chapter Master, akin to a Force Commander (as in, leader of a Grand Batallion, Expeditionary Fleet, Grand Company, Nth Chapter, etc.)

Given how the legions were ALREADY divided into Chapters (which were then SEPARATED by the Codex), there were multiple Praetors in the Legions. Plenty of room for your snowflake astartes.

Alpha Legion. I'm mostly just looking for pics of converted Legion HQs to spark the ol' inspiration.

Dammit, the Your Dudes legion. Will it be early crusade of full traitor hydra?

The Praetors are the Chapter Masters, the First Captains, the Lord Commanders, etc.

Emperor's Children, for example, have 11 Lord Commanders (including the First Captain) of which we know 10 of them.
Emperor's Children has 11 Praetors.

Praetors are just the guys that take orders from the Primarch and Primarch only, in whatever form and title they really have.

Age of Darkness strike-operations splinter. Commanded by a "workhorse" consul in that he's not power-hungry like Skorr or basically Alpharius like Dynat, just really, really good at applying Legion combat philosophies and practices.

They're also catch-all for any beat-stick that hasn't or wont be given rules.

That could mean its Little Horus, Falkus Kibre, Qin Xa, an Ultramarine Tetrarch, etc etc.

And the Death Guard only had 7, since they only ever had 7 companies, those were bigger than the other legion companies thought.

How hard is it to paint Alpha Legion? That metallic green-blue seems like it would be hard to do

Wait what? Those are way fewer than what I thought. So, on average, a Praetor commands about 10k+ marines.
Still, the EC, who were 110 000 marines, are mentioned to have thirty Chapters. As such, I'd say the Legion List Praetors COULD represent any one of those 30 guys (Chapter Master stats), whom lead almost 3700 marines each...unless those are led by Captains, which wouldn't be too much of a stretch, given the 1000 marines restriction is a post-Codex thing (Then again, they could lead 4 Captains each).

The Badab War was a clusterfuck, and there were, what, 7k marines on each side? Meaning a Praetor could easily pull an entire Badab on his own.

I went with a non-metallic scheme for this exact purpose. It's not amazing, but it's distinct enough from the Night Lords (with the pending addition of some bronze), and it's a fuck of a lot easier to do. Plus, saves me from the apparently mandatory investment in an airbrush, since I'm a total poorfag.

not that hard.

1 light steel basecoat

2 50/50 blue green wash. do this probably 2 or 3 times.

alot of people do blue wash, then green, the blue etc but that will leave it uneven.

Half the Death Guard that were with Typhon changed much earlier than the Death Guard that were with Mortarion. The two were operating in different fleets during the Heresy.

So Iron Warriors went traitor because they couldn't take criticism for their use of dumb tactics, then continued to use said tactics out of spite and got salty because they got shat on because they were intentionally shit?

Thank you. That does make it easier.

I'm still unsure how I want to run my army (I guess this is the best legion for that). What non AL unit makes best use of Coils of the Hydra?

what dumb tactics?

No, we've covered this multiple times. They turned because Horus exploited his paranoia. Pert was pushed to bomb Olympia which might have forced the Emperor to pull a II/XI on him. Horus offered him a way out

You can not-take criticism yet still remain loyal, you know? There's no reason to go trator, except maybe Angron's.
>Muh seek of truth
That's not a reason either. Neither for treachery nor for fucking over the setting into what is 40k using the chaos marine codex.

This question gets asked a lot, and there's no one answer to it, as much as we'd like there to be. The mutability of the XX means it can be adapted to fight however you want it and for whatever situation is required, and the same applies to a unique unit for Coils. If you're going gunline, Fulmentarii or Tyrants are great. Close supports, infiltrating Pyroclasts can be great, as could Kakophoni. Likewise, slapping Counter-Attack on Grave Wardens makes for a surprisingly solid unit.

Generally, it's accepted that Raven Guard units work well with "established" AL tactics, with Dark Furies giving you a beastly decapitation unit, and Mor Deythan working great with the rest of the Legion. But, as I said, it's really all down to what you want to use and what purpose you NEED them to fulfill.

The Word Bearers pushed their buttons until the big red button next to the bigger and redder button that said "Decimate Legion" in Pert's mind was pushed and Olympia was ruined.

>except maybe Angron's
"Hey maybe these things in my head might be giving me a bunch of complexes and mental stability issues, which, were I lacking them, might lead me to make restitution for how I've acted and give me another perspective lol nah k watch this Chimera drive lol bye af"

No they went traitor because they continually got shitty orders and jobs often being given no recognition or accolades for their sacrifices or work. Then when Horus became Warmaster and was corrupted he doubled down on the policy, but attached a little addendum on the orders claiming they came from the Emperor and that he appreciated Pert.

>inb4 wah wah I don't like my job and nobody thanks me for it
You underestimate the level of shitty the orders were. There were rebellious Hive Worlds that the IW were responsible for garrisoning with a whole two marines. There were times when the IW spent months besieging places and once a breach was made another legion got to make the assault and then got all the credit while the IWs got to go to another planet and do the same thing.

Also there was Dorn, fuck Dorn.

As in, the Emperor no stepping down from orbit and helping him and his gladiator friends with 10 000 Custodes and 100 000 War Hounds. That's the only acceptable reason for betrayal.

And let us not forget that AL are the best way to run Gal Vorbak.

This.
I remember it being a whole 10 marines, but it got to be as shitty as user describes it, including sanctioned glory stealing. And unsanctioned name erasing. Srsly, what a bunch of dicks. It's like they wanted me to go traitor (well, Horus did plan it tho).

But for some reason you can't

Let us just realize that we never got word on how successful those garrisons were with just two marines. It could really say something about the Warriors if they turned out better than expected.

It doesn't say. It doesn't say the citizens ever dared to rebel again with the IW around either, either. Maybe they pulled a Pavlov's House.
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Delgas_II

You're right, my bad. Not sure where I got the 2 marines from.

Why not? No "Legiones Astartes" rule?

Yeah, don't they have to have a LA rule?

You're allowed to take them, they just don't get an AL buffs from their Legion special rules.

Try playing BA. We'll be lucky to get our book before the 30th millennium rolls around. At least we've got BRRRT to keep us happy until then.

And the fancy smanzy sword,

>Black Empire mini's

Its begun

Why is Chris Wraight so based?

But, user, there is no Empire anymore. It got blown up along with all the rest of that silly old world that nobody liked anyway which is why we're licensing out multiple video games set in it.

>Being DA is suffering
Will we ever have a second decent book from the BL?

Because he took the criticism from Battle of the Fang (which was good but had some issues) and worked to improve his representations of a fairly tricky legion.

Also Pharos and Angel Exterminatus should switch places with with Vengeful Spirit and Promethean Sun respectively.

>Nemesis
>Good tier

Guys, how would you run a Durak Rask Reaping? I mean, sure, Reaping with him allows rad grenades, phosphex rapiers, troop veterans and troop HSupport squads, and boosts the army with rerolls and tank hunters, buuut:

Phosphex rapiers and Medusae are vulnerable to deep strikers and infiltrators, so they must be protected by stuff like two Deredeos. But these may be redundant and could possibly be skipped over, given how the other things can also kill marines good enough. Their true appeal is the prospect of dangerous terrain.

The DG has no use for Veteran squads given how the Deathshroud can do everything they do but better. Maybe Sniper vets, if anything. Outflanking vets spend their rule just to get somewhere...in a Rhino (Praevians do it better and killier), and Tank Hunter & Furious charge vets lack mobility, like the sweet Dreadclaw assault vehicle, unavailable because nothing may deepstrike.

Heavy support squads can't deal with stronk 30k vehicles. A full TH Lascannon squad is one of the few things worth it, but is costs shy of two LRs themselves (Proteus). Heavy support squads could be used to hold objectives...but that's already the tax Tactical's job. Augur Flakk squads could substitute Deredeos, albeit for increased cost and lessened interception range, but AP3 could be functionally fill the phos rapier's role as marine killers should they decide to show their faces. Assault squads with MTC and rad grenades could be taken as the compulsory troops to avoid role overlap, and to actually use rad grenades on offense...but Assault squads are simply too expensive.

So, what should I focus on? Anyone uses Rask on their Reaping list?

WE

Wait why is Descent of the Angels in Heresy Tier?
I really enjoyed it, though I haven't read Fallen Angels yet I'm sure it's terrible because I hear The Lion kills Nemiel
but the thing I dislike about DoA is
>I Love the Lion like a brother
Didn't Luther treat Lion as a son?

VULKAN

>I hear The Lion kills Nemiel
You heard wrong.

That happens in The Lion. Not Fallen Angels

Overall poorness of execution. There's (mostly) nothing wrong with the story and a synopsis makes it sounds pretty good.

But the actual book itself is just bad. It's a boring slog and at the end you just feel like you wasted 300 or so pages.

It's funny, my girlfriend's been reading the Horus Heresy books alongside me.

So far, Damnation of Pythos is her favorite because in her words, "It has a good creepy atmosphere and the characters are so stereotyped that you can easily remember them just by their legions."

Can't really argue with that.

Slap some taste into her

I thought the DoPythos did well to show the nature of Iron Hands post-Isstvan.

Compared to Meduson or Grey Talon, which were both excellent, I don't feel Damnation of Pythos even came close.

She must love Battle for the Abyss then.

I thought Fear to Tread was good tier

SHHHHH! If everything thinks he's good he'll suddenly turn crap!

I refused to give her a copy.

I think everyone is forgetting is that most IW liked being left behind. While they were stationed on garrison duty they have free reign to construct and fortify military bases and battlements, something they have iron boners for. Some marines got the shutter end of the stick on their garrison duties but the most part it was probably enjoyable for them and seen as a breather from the grueling work they were intended for.

Easy to see how shitty it was fir the IW but Dorns legion was significantly smaller than the IW who had one of the largest legions albeit spilt into squads all over the place. They were to be the workhorse where as Dorn was to be the noble Savior when they finally broke through the doors. Shitty deal yes but one they were built for. Blame the game and who made the rules, not the players

>8 lascannon marines with augury scanner
>2 squads of 8 missile launcher marines also with augury scanner
>put Rask in las squad, put other two within 12"
>las squad now has tank hunters, interceptor at deep strikers, and target priority
>other two squads now have interceptor at deepstrikers and target priority

Runs 1100ish points, add flakk missiles and hardened armour to your hearts content

How would you outfit your deep striking Cataphractii Terminators out of the Calth box? I'm running an Imperial Fists with Pride of the Legion and wanted an excuse to use those sexy models...so I'm thinking: 4 power fists, 1 chainfist, all with combi-bolters with one guy using a plasma blaster. would anyone recommend something else? should I give the sergeant a power sword or is that useless without grenades?

Sarge will have to take challenges so an AP2 weapon will serve you better
More than one chainfist will be good too in case you lose it
I'd honestly forget any of the special weapons since you want them as generalists
Throw in a couple of combi-weapons and you're done.

I was going to take two plastic plasma guns and put them side by side as a plasma blaster, any tips on how to custom make a combi-weapon? good point on the AP2 weapon though, I forgot about the challenges.

>"A single wolfship will be smashed to kindling and its crew devoured," said the Wolf Lord
>reading A Thousand Sons
>a single wolfship
>wolfship
Guys, I read that right?

I'd recommend the combi- part and the melee weapon being opposed and you use the combi part on the turn you come in.
A termie squad with lightning claws might take combi-plasma for other termies that would prove unkillable with AP3, for example.

One Night Lords user made some nice side by side combi-plasmas using a plasma pistol and a boltgun. You could do something like this or go with a top and bottom design. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet, I've got no experience building any so unfortunately can't help you.

I always give my terminators AP2 so it's never a concern, usually x2 axes, x2 chainfists and a powerfist on the sarge in case he gets lucky and blows up a praetor. Then depending on points available either full combi-plasma or x2 melta and x2 flamer.

I'll give it credit, it was a good book but I presented the fact that it didn't advance the story at all. There's a whole galaxy full of hopelessness and opportunity to clear the way for Terra.

My first Alpha Legion list. Lemme know what you think.

2000 points
Coils of the Hydra (assigning scout to everyone)

HQ:
Praetor
-Paragon Blade
-Power Knife
-Iron Halo
-Jump Pack

Siege Master
-Artificer Armor

ELITES:
Dark Fury Assault Squad (Praetor attaches to these guys)

Rapier Weapons Battery (x3)
-Quad Mortars

TROOPS:
Tactical Squad
-Artificer Amor
-Vexilla
-Rhino w/ Heavy Bolter

Tactical Squad
-Rhino w/ Combi-Melta

Tactical Squad
-Rhino

FAST ATTACK:
Headhunter Kill Team
-Combi-Bolter w/ Banestrike Shells x4
-Suspensor Web Heavy Bolter w/ Banestrike Shells

Headhunter Kill Team
-Combi-Bolter w/ Banestrike shells x4
-Suspensor Heavy Bolter w/ Banestrike shells

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Medusa
-Phosphex

Sicaran
-Lascannons

Anyone tried to write their own RoWs? Either Legion specific or general.

Dark Angels RoW - Dreadwing Protocol

EFFECTS
Destroyers become Compulsory Troops
Destroyer squads and Moritats can infiltrate

LIMITATIONS
Must take Farith Redloss
Must take one Moritat Consul
Must take one Destroyer squad
No librarians, legion champions or Primus Medicae Consuls allowed

EQUIPMENT
Psychoactive scrambler - causes fear, taken by ICs for 10 point
Rad Grenades - taken by characters for 5 points

Farith Redloss - 190 points (ish)
Master of the Dreadwing, Watcher of the Dark Arsenal, The Black Shroud
WS5 BS5 S4 T4 W3 I4 A3 Ld10
Artificer Armour
Refractor Field
Psychoactive scrambler
Rad Grenades
Archaeotech pistol
Calibanite war axe - S+2 AP2 unwieldy, two handed

Rampage
Fearless
Preferred enemy: Infantry
MotL - World Burner Warlord Trait

What do people think? I've tried to even out the possible cheese with a high HQ and troop taxes and restrictions to other consuls.

>good tier: Legion & Nemesis
>acceptable tier: Mechanicum and The Purge

nigga what

Why must they take Farith Redloss? I feel like thats a good RoW but that ruins it, takes away a "your dudes" aspect of it.

>Dark Angels out-scary and out-destroyer Night Lords and Death Guards

Hi /HHG/

What would you say is the most infantry-based Legion to play?

And what would be the one with the most close combat?

Thanks!

I think the combi- part might be a good idea now that I think about it...take advantage of the fact that Imperial Fists have access to deep strike by having a murder-suicide with an insane amount of plasma shots the turn they come in. Would definitely help with my army's lack of AP2 right now.

>What would you say is the most infantry-based Legion to play?

IW, DG and IF can do infantry heavy lists fairly well, maybe even NL considering their bonuses are about outnumbering the opponent.

>Dark Angels out-biker and out-tank spam White Scars and Iron Hands
Because that could never happen, right?
World Eaters on both counts. IF and IW vying for the first and EC for the latter.

ARE

By and large not that bad, but those scramblers are ridiculous. You need to remember that fear is very valuable in 30K. Maybe make them a blind test whenever an enemy charges?

I agree about making Redloss an optional take.

What are the odds a new Dark Angels RoW lets you out-daemon Word Bearers?

>tfw when I have no 30k Dangles reaction images, only 40k

How much anti-tank is enough anti-tank?

>He thinks he has enough anti-tank

3 squadrons of 3 laser vindicators is a good start, I'd consider 3 lightnings with 6 krakens after that

He's the in universe master of the Dreadwing, much like how Belial or Sammael are the masters of the Deathwing and Ravenwing respectively. Although now that you mention it the restriction is odd, I'll re-write.

>Dark Angels out-scary and out-destroyer Night Lords and Death Guards
That's sort of what I as going for since the existing RoWs are pretty much copies of other legion specialities but with DA Legions Astartes rules. That being said every other legion is a better copy of the DAs and their protocols.

Fear only seems really good because of the lack of ATSKNF in 30k, you're forgetting that a few legions have high levels of immunity to it and every legion has ways of negating it for the troops that will be affected. Arguably blind is much more powerful since it has the same effects and affects many more armies, also aren't you statistically more likely to fail a blind test than a leadership test?

I still think the cringiest part about Space Wolves is how they constantly refer to the Emperor as the Allfather.

Oh yeah I knew he was the master of the Dreadwing, I just felt like it was too heavy a restriction for listbuilding. Not that the profile you came up with for him was bad, it was actually really good, but I just felt like it would turn a lot of people away from the rite.

I think that's the least offensive thing about them.

Never said I had it. And I'm not sure it can ever be enough.
>All smug in his fort
>Suddenly, full Conversion Beamer Myrmidon Destroyer squad
Weren't lightnings an endangered species because they're flimsy flyers on the AA-Dread milenium? The Laser Vindicators look nice, thanks.

Lightnings are the definition of a glass cannon.

Take ground tracking auguries and hope you can pop AA dreads before they can stop you.

Ah right okay. I'm glad you like the profile, it was tempting to go full snowflake on him and load him up with all the at initiative AP2 and 3++'s you could shake a stick at.

I think I've managed to strike quite a nice balance between good but not OP gear and some special rules that designate him for a solid anti-infantry roll evened out with a fair price tag. He's pretty much useless against anything with an AV value and will fold like a bitch to anything with powerfists.

I rather enjoyed DoA too, read through it faster than most other books, really liked the look at the pre Imperium Caliban, the wannabe power armor and bolt revolvers were also a nice touch given that I just expected a standard medieval society

disliked that they didn't go more into his training to become a librarian through, missed opportunity

Anyone?