Tfw you kill BBEG the first time we meet him

>tfw you kill BBEG the first time we meet him
>ruin DMs planned campaign

>Mfw I steal somebody elses cig

Gotta protect your villains, man.
Alternatively, the rest of the campaign becomes about the aftermath of the BBEGs demise. Remember, there are happily-ever-afters. There's bound to be some fallout.

WoD has wonky combat system anyway

My players did that.....so the BBEG because a fucking Lich. They had a bad time the next fight.

>Mfw I pretend to be mad

This, but I'd also add that any BBEG killed that easily wasn't fit to be a BBEG, time for his minion to take control.

>>tfw you kill BBEG the first time we meet him
>>ruin DMs planned campaign
As a GM, this failure on the GM's part rustled my jimmies so I searched for a gif to capture my response.
I haven't found it yet, but found some amusing other things.
Turning this into my own gif filename thread.
>dealwithit.gif

i dont see how that could cause total failure
If its that early in the campaign just say that guy was a minion for a greater evil and have the greater evil do the same shit the dead guy was gonna do
the PCs wont know the difference

>mfw the BBEG rerolls a crit fail

>bound to be some fallout

See, at first glance, I totally interpreted this bit differently.

Did that in exalted. Rookie ST didn't realize that making an "arc villain" with no defenses against social characters then putting him in a scene where he's conversing with an Eclipse would result in some hardcore mindfuckery.

I wish I didn't have to do that kind of things, but my players get -really- good rolls in the worst moments. Still, I only do it to extend the battle a bit longer for dramatic purposes, but he's still going to die sooner or later due to the roll that happened before

Should just have the highest ranked not dead follower continue where he left off

>mfw one player won't even let me finish introducing the villain before killing him

I agree completely.
I was saying if the BBEG getting killed ruins the planned campaign, the GM is a failure
If the GM is good, nothing was ruined at all.

>mfw the randomly encountered beast does not go as expected

>BBEG can be killed the first time you meet him
Obviously, he was an amateur who didn't deserve the position. He will be replaced by a more suitable opponent.

>mfw the PCs kill the BBEG & the planned campaign is ruined for all of five minutes

How does this happen? Can't the DM just make the villain invincible or stupidly overpowered if the players aren't meant to beat them at that point?

>mfw when I don't realize I didn't post the image

>according to the plan, BBEG's minions resurrect him while the players are busy looting his stronghold

>mfw theGM writes out the entire story before the players even make their characters

That actually happened to my group, it was funny because our DM rolled about 3 1's in a row, repeatedly crit-failing his own attacks.

What was really hilarious though, was when the entire party, except myself, died not five minutes after, as they had all failed a balance check to stay on a small slippery bridge and a swim check to not drown in the quicksand below.

I remain the only person in my Dungeons and Dragons groups to ever have invested skill ranks in Swim for a fantasy campaign.
You can bet your ass I said 'I told you so' when I saved a drowning dumbass of a party member.

>BBEG is killed
>Suddenly the lieutenant steps up
>"ha ha you stupid heroes he was a weak and foolish dope and you have eliminated him for me!"

>>tfw you kill BBEG the first time we meet him

I laugh when this happens. It makes my players think they fucked up SUPER HARD and try to leave as soon as possible. That gives me time to salvage shit.

>Turns out he had a deal with the god of death
>Whoops

>lieutenant gets killed too
>2nd lieutenant steps up
>heroes face when

And here we go...
>mfw the GM risks hinging his plot and villain on one encounter

Nothing more terrifying than for everything to go so flawlessly correct that you start to think that was the villain's plan all along.

Fucking Alpha Legion is so annoying to fight, I know.

>TFW the BBEG took an entire bottle of "Kill me, I come back stronger" pills.

I once introduced a BBEG to a party of 1st level characters way back in 2nd edition, where the disparity between a level 17 and a level 1 was far more insane than it is today.

>Most of the party fled like they were supposed to. But not the bard. He dug in his heels and decided he was going to win.

>For eight. fucking. hours. He eluded the mute half-giant ranger who had just taken out an entire keep's worth of fighters. He kept his distance and relied on throwing knives. When he ran out he went to the kitchen and kept throwing. He trapped the giant in a tapestry, doused him with kerosene and set him ablaze. He dropped marbles on a staircase to throw off its pursuit, then pushed a piano loaded with ornamental spears down the marble filled foyer to impale the warrior. He rallied the survivors of the keep with his bardic performance. They were slaughtered to the man, but the bard fought on, his party long since abandoned him.

>Miraculously, the dice favored him. The enemy hit him only twice, and the damage rolled poor at that. Meanwhile the bard landed several critical hits, in addition to his impromptu traps and tricks. The final blow was landed when the bard managed to collapse the staircase on the giant. Stones fell from the vaulted supports, and the damage was more than I could justify it surviving. The bard jumped to level 3, the campaign ended there, and he became a legend.

This.

>Kill BBEG prematurely
>turns out his iron fist was the only thing keeping his lieutenants in line
>what was one enemy now balkanizes into a dozen different forces all warring to cement power
>***WORSE END***

Sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, thanking my lucky stars that I don't have a GM shit enough to do an asspull like that without establishing it first.

>BBEG was actually one of the PC's father
>he wanted to reveal his identity to his child
>he trusted that his son would prefer discussing things over rather than fighting

>That gives me time to salvage shit.
Doing it right

This sounds like an awesome start to a campaign. Imagine a group of low-level PCs who killed the Evil Overlord with a couple lucky critical hits, and now the entire kingdom sees them as powerful heroes destined to save the land. Villagers frequently ask them to take on nearby roaming monsters that are way above their level, expecting them to triumph easily. Thieves try to break into their rooms in the night, expecting to find magical items and treasures that aren't there. Other villains send assassins to take them out, frightened of their supposed immense power, thinking that the PCs will someday thwart their diabolical schemes.

The PCs can't even come forward and admit that they're not as powerful as everyone thinks, because everyone just thinks they're being incredibly modest (like all great heroes!), or they think that the PCs apparent failure and buffoonery is just obfuscating stupidity, to make their enemies underestimate them. After all, the Evil Overlord didn't take them seriously, and now he's dead!

This is awesome GMing for the early part of a potentially long campaign.

>Worship goddess of chaos
>Goddess's grip on material plane grows stronger the more decadence, infighting, evil, etc. is around
>The formerly annoying regional bandits were replaced by brutal, cunning mobsters
>Consolidate power under your iron will, control a worldwide army of evil
>Force or convince others to join you based on promises of power
>Heroes come to defeat you
>Let them win
>Mobsters, now with a vast supply of resources and no head thug to keep them in place, start tearing up nations in their grab for power
>Rate of Chaos and Evil skyrockets for the cost of a little Lawful investment
>Goddess's grip on the plane grows noticeably stronger
>MFW

I love DMing.

Of course sometimes it's easier to pull off than other.

One for you user and now I'm done.

This is why my "BBEG's" are never outright hostile to the party and supported by the party's allies. I mean, one time my new vampire character accidentally diablerized the BBEG the first session I played and then proceeded to basically trash the Camarilla from inside.

All I'm saying is that you should expect BBEG's to die at any moment if you include them. And be prepared to deal with the consequences when they do.

>mfw I steal a Commissars Cap.

>Robbing players of their victory by maintaining identical context despite their accomplishments

How to be a Shit GM: By user

Agreed, and why I proposed . Don't take their achievement away from them by making their actions meaningless. Find a way to keep the PCs' lives interesting and challenging while acknowledging their success.

>that illusion wizard that keeps tricking the bbeg and manages to kill him in a duel with a dagger in front of the city

>victory
>lucky rolls

>The bad guy was actually working on time travel in order to steal a powerful artifact which mysteriously vanished from its last known location long ago
>He in fact, already used it, and his future self is already in the world, much older and more powerful, acting in more subtle ways, or not at all until this point
>Because his younger self was killed before he was able to go back in time, the time traveler's connection to fate is severed, granting him agelessness and immunity to all but the most direct forms of magical assault
>Though he had not revealed his identity to his younger self, he had kept an eye on him, ready to step in if the need arised

They can, but you know what's better? Changing plans and seeing what consequences his death brings. Maybe he was the only one keeping the barbarians under his control, well, controlled.

And now they've broken up into hundreds (maybe thousands) of bands and are wreaking havoc all across the nation, and if their depredations aren't stopped, there will be famine this winter, and maybe a long time after it.

what sort of shitbag DM do you have that allows you guys to even be able to do that right away?!

Happened in a Campaign I was in once.
At level 3 we took a turn the GM wasn't expecting and ran into the BBEG.
After a bloody and almost TPKing battle we killed him.
Aft that we made our way back to town thinking we'd just ruined the campaign when suddenly guards show up to arrest us.
Turns out he had one of his men in a high position in the guard.
Get released when the royals hear we've been wrongfully arrested just to find one of the largest gangs in the city is hunting us, turns out that was another of the BBEG's friends.
Recieve word slavers are attacking towns while the guard stand back and let it happen, more friends of the ex-BBEG.
This one Mafia boss had such a stranglehold on the kingdom everything started to turn to shit.
The original planned campaign was we would uncover his tresonous roots bit by bit but now we were fighting to keep stability.

Sounds awesome.

That's why you do NOT insert BBEG as a combat encounter early in the story.
What do you even expect out of it?!

>A: the BBEG trashes them
The railroaded "you lose" fights are lame ass shit.
>B: they kill the BBEG
Oh noes my plot

How the fuck does that work?
Why would a unified force intend on pillaging your shit be weaker than a disjointed force that tries to pillage your stuff while fighting itself?

>Why would a unified force intend on pillaging your shit be weaker than a disjointed force that tries to pillage your stuff while fighting itself?
Not weaker, just less destructive, less chaotic, less of a complete and utter shitstorm.
In short, a more manageable situation.

Still no. Unified force marching to fuck you up is not more manageable than enemy force collapsing upon itself.

Sure there is an utter shitstorm, but it's on the territory they've already fucked. You just need to march an army to roll them up while they're disorganised.

>the BBEG is already dead

My NPCs don't typically become anything you might call a "BBEG" until they've already encountered the PCs a few times and lived.

>PCs kill my BBEG early
>His incompetent lackey ends up in charge
>He fails miserably at every attempt to be evil
>My players end up feeling sorry for him
>They become friends
>My game ended in friendship

I'm still disgusted.

That will literally never happen in one of my campaigns, and I'm really sad about it

Remember, there are no* happily-ever-afters.

I'm not disagreeing that a unified force is worse to deal with than a chaotic horde.
But while your army is marching on one band of pillagers, another dozen scatter and pillage surrounding areas.
After you easily defeat the band, whichever direction you send your army, the bands that scattered in the other directions will have free reign to ravage the lands until you get around to them.
More chaos, more destruction, more of a shitstorm, but less of a threat overall than one unified force capable of keeping the trains running on time.

I should add that I meant more manageable in that you can concentrate your army on one threat, despite being more likely to suffer worse losses than if scrambling after chaotic horde.

So does the DM outright say "Here's the BBEG." and put him out there where the party can kill him? Even when he is low enough in level they could pull it off?

Why is the BBEG out there when he doesn't have a way to keep them from killing him? That's just poor planning.

I agree with Star Wars is the setting for the only campaign I've run so far. And for whatever reason all my players seem terrified of going anywhere near the sith or any other cannon Star Wars characters. Because of that I've been lucky whenever the wookie-warcrime splatters an adversary NPC I expected to survive as a primary antagonist. I can just move the plot and threat to a minion, or even move the players up the chain of command of baddies as needed.

Kills a crime syndicate boss, one of their rivals moves into the empty territory and continues creating problems for the crew.
Dead imperial officer BBEG; no problem. With the chain of command there's a clear explanation, and even an expectation, that the imperial problems won't be solved with one dead leader.

>Then the bard's family came home after they realised they left Kevin home alone again.

Our DM kept introducing wannabe recurring villains that we killed the first time we met them. Walking Wounded is hilarious.

Happened to me once
>GM springs the BBEG on us within the first thirty minutes so she can mock us and leave
>Capture her, mind control her into obedience
>Put a Helm of Opposite Alignment on her, make her voluntarily fail her save
>Suddenly, friendly LG bbeg on our side

That's why railroads are bad, ehehe

>kill bbeg early, without even realizing he's the bbeg
>but we meet that guy again
>kill him again
>we see him in a totally unrelated place, again
>he flees this time
>we realize he's the mastermind
fuck_you_gm.jpg
>through a bunch of lucky rolls we can ambush him
>prepare a shitload of tools to capture, dismember and keep the fucker with us, just to make It impossible for him to come back
>there's two of them
>there's a huge "imma clone myself to achieve more things" plot going on
>we actually had some hints earlier but we completely missed It

And after the campaign, the GM admitted that the bbeg's shtick was something entirely different at first, but we killed that fucker and he had to improvise.
And I'm still kind of mad.

Which is the actual lesson to be learned from all the "yes, but..." faggotry. Somehow it became some meme about always dicking over the players' plans, but the real goal there is to make sure that haphazard victories always carry some kind of complication. Yes, if they defeated the bad guy that should be a success of sorts, but if they didn't actually consider the consequences they could easily have just created other problems.

It's just like, yeah, you got the bad guy and did a cool thing, but now also another bad thing happened so go wrap that up too. Eventually if the party is persistent/smart enough about all of it they can save the day.

Holy shit.
kite + daggers 2stronk

Actually, that's why building the whole damn railroad is bad.