Has the death of an NPC ever disturbed or moved you in and/or out of character?

Has the death of an NPC ever disturbed or moved you in and/or out of character?

Man, I can't top Ugly.

In my recent - honestly, first - Shadowrun game, the GM had made a DMPC because none of us had any real melee skill, or in a few cases even weapons skill. He was a heavily cybered up troll, military-grade at least, and he was well loved. He was always able to get us out of a tricky situation with some brute force or stealing a cop car. Very pink mohawk, and you could've called him the mascot for our games.

Several times, the question came up about the troll's origins, and at one point there was a very large bounty on his head, but each time we would stand by him and call in all the favors we could to get out of the mess that would inevitably come up. Then, an actual runner team came up against us, and they were out of our league (and even had one ex-member), and caught us completely by surprise.

Even when their sniper managed to rip a hole through the troll's arm after the bullet passed through a car, I didn't think he'd actually die. He'd always lived through everything else that got thrown at him, and he was as much machine as meat. But then Dervish - yes, the Dervish, the GM included him as an NPC in the campaign - flew in and took that car and shoved him into the harbor, pushing him down and going in after him. We were in pretty rough shape ourselves, and we didn't even get a chance to go after him before six pieces of troll were thrown on shore, and Dervish picked up the head and just left to get the bounty.

There wasn't too much reaction because the action kept moving fast, but it still hit hard all the same. He was a beloved, seemingly invincible character, and his death felt like the death of our group - which in a way it was, considering much of the group got split or did not survive.

THE FEELS MASON, WHAT DO THEY MEAN!?

>I watched the warlock try and execute a gaurd in a room full of priests even after he surrendered and i took his weapon
>still shoots a spell at him and barley dosnt kill him
>tries to have someone follow me out with his unconscious body to kill him
Yeah my fighter went from
>i love fighting GOD OF WAR WITNESS MEEE
to
>the god of war demands strength not just in body but in mind and spirit.....motherfucker!

Kind of. To put it in context, I can stomach any violence as long as extreme gore and suffering aren't shown. Even cartoony suffering makes me sick.

So my DM didn't plan much one night and set up a quick, "kill the mooks" scenario.

Barbarian, who hadn't been there in a while, does his thing. Monk is abusing people, dropping one from a tower.

Me, in real life, snap because I can't stomach the descriptions I'm hearing and the murderous delight I'm seeing in my friends.

I start Sparing the poor mooks my friends are trying to kill. Almost start a pvp with the monk who is mad at me stealing his "kill".

Friends really didn't know what to think. Took a few days to clear things up with the DM.

I got over my revulsion and now I can kill and maim without a problem. At the time I was just sensitive enough, I guess, that it felt wrong, even in game.

>casts aside his moral compass and falls prey to foul intent
disgusting.......motherfucker

Sadly, no. I've not gotten into a group that facilitates roleplaying immersion to a level that affects my emotions. Such is life.

we actually haven't had murder sprees since that night.

I also changed characters. Now I'm an alt-dimension version of my original character. Barbarian instead of cleric. The story theme changed so I changed to fit.

well allright motherfucker but just this once,next time I catch you not rescuing cats from trees and shit ill multi attack the shit out of you m8.

Once as a GM, I gave the players a local hunter NPC to act as a guide through the jungles where other hunters had been mysteriously disappearing.

Throughout, he kept warning them off all the dangers of the jungle, giving advice and basically trying to protect them all. And ay time the party got sidetracked, he argued against their new endeavour, since tracking the lost hunters was his highest priority.

They did NOT take kindly to this. They insulted him to his face, made physical threats, basically mistreated him. He was kind of a dick character, but he only had the best interests of the party and his fellow hunters at heart. The party called him Smokey the Bear out of character.

Eventually it became too much, and they split. The party eventually meandered back onto the trail, and found where all the hunters had gone.

Basically, they were all kidnapped by this new torture cult, using their pain and bodies as part of rituals and sacraments, trying to gain favour. B the time they got there, their guide had been under the process of torture for five days. From their vantage point, I described his mutilated but still conscious body, and what the cult had been doing to him and all the others still present in this ruin.

I treated it like an Aristocrats joke as tod by Eli Roth or something, I sickened myself. But I knew it was making the party feel worse and worse about being a dick to the NPC. As an added touch, the cult had been using a lot of the natural creatures and plants found in the jungle that the guide had warned them all about, much to their annoyance.

I felt like an edgelord, except instead of taking pride in it I revolted myself.

Damn dude.

Did your PCs stop treating most NPCs like dicks?

Nah, just ones that tried t control them in any way and couldn't kick their ass

I sicced a few rape demons on an evil sorceress. This started a huge argument at the table, particularly between the female players and I

Not a death, but the extent of mental damage wrought by ultimately redundant mind-control magic on an NPC by the BBEG really did a number on me AND my tiefling sorcerer.

That poor farmer's wife, she had nothing to do with any of it.

>But then Dervish - yes, the Dervish, the GM included him as an NPC in the campaign
Oh shit was the runner team THAT team?

Then cast aside your fiendish heritage,take up the sword in the name of justice and crush the motherfucker,motherfucker!

didn't mean to reply to you but we already locked him inside a magic amulet after beating the ever-loving shit out of him
except whoops there's an angel locked in there too how'd that get there

justice is served.

Poor kitty

Nope, just Dervish, an ex-character who acted as a sniper, a rigger, and the best shaman I've ever seen. Guy who rode around on a stone tiger and had an ornate AK-47 that shot magic bullets and did not give a fuck.

Dervish was only in because Ares had a vested interest in the troll being ded.

The death of an NPC I made caused one of my players to go out of character and almost rage-quite the game. I wanted to make a relatable villain. Apparently she was more well-liked than I realized.

Really? I want to hear the details. So many try and fail to make sympathetic villains.

I don't know what it was. She wasn't a great person at all. She was lawful evil. She was basically a street-rat, turned child gang leader, turned mob boss, turned head of a shadow government in her city. She was actually the quest-giver for my party (all good to neutral characters) for awhile. They joined up with her to take out a mutual enemy. It was a very intrigue-filled campaign, perfect for rogues. Eventually, the other enemy double-crossed her and the players before she could double-cross the other enemy, and she got killed pretty inhumanely.

fuck me I was not ready for this.

>pretty inhumanely
Explain. I've noticed that having characters suffer in a seemingly undue way can get people to sympathize with them even if they felt "meh," about it before. That might have been what done it.

Well, it has to do with the plot of the campaign, which is a tad involved. But basically she got turned into a banshee (because I had recently gotten a fascination with ability drain and ability damage). I think what got the player was when the party heard her dying scream, which sounded pretty excruciating. I don't remember exactly how the scene went down, 'cause I ran the session over a year ago, but I think it also had something to do with her being the questgiver. They'd had to work with her or her thugs for at least the previous 2 ish months of game sessions. She also had a villainous charm, which was fun to play.

While I'm not into anime anymore, back when I was two villains I was very fond of were Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke and Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin. And those two characters were this villain's inspiration, both in her demeanor and motives. She was a very fun villain for how long she lasted.

My character lost her baby, that hurt even out of game.