Reading players

How do you read what kind of "player" a person is, in general and at the current moment? I'm pretty bad at people reading

Have someone else read them for you then. If another one of your players is worried about playing with someone you probably should be too

In my group there is a guy that just want to make everyone mad using chaotic neutral aka asshole and trying to use the most powerfull characters

There is one that just focus in creating interesting characters and acting them, to develop a good story

There is another one that likes to decipher puzzles and see what happens in the story, he also like to see his character grow in power and personality

The rest are a good balance of Character Actors, Thinkers and Somewhat power gamers, one of them always create funny characters

In Shadowrun, nearly every edition has had a mission called "Food Fight" as a module under the quickstart rules. The exact circumstances of the mission differs in each reprinting, but the classic Food Fight session follows a simple formula. The player characters have all entered a local Stuffer Shack (the setting's equivalent of a 7-11) late at night when half a dozen street gangers enter the shop and demand that everyone hand over their credsticks and valuables.

How the players respond to the missions says a lot about what the players are going to want out of the game. Do their players gun the gangers down? Do they use their stun weapons or whip out the heavy armaments? Did the runners decide to go for a snack run in full armor and packing heat? Does this imply that they're always in full armor and packing heat? If they're not the kind of character to carry their guns everywhere, do they improvise with whatever they can get their hands on? Do they try to sneak out the back exit? Do they intimidate the gangers before or during the fight to try to make then run? Do they participate in combat if the other players initiate it, or do they just keep their head down?

How players behave during a Food Fight sets the stage for how they'll probably behave during the rest of the game, and it helps build missions that fit their playstyles.

Have you tried, oh I don't know, talking to your players like a mature fucking human and asking them what kind of game they like and how they like to play?

I have. All I've gotten is wishy-washy answers that tell me nothing.

I'm not too concerned about issues between players, we're all good friends and enjoy hanging out for a night.

That sounds like a great way to figure it out, might have to adapt that to the current (3.5) setting.

Great, your players aren't invested enough to care, so literally anything you do will please them. What was the dilemma again?

If they're inexperienced, or hell if they've just never really sat down and thought about it, they won't know the answer. In fact, it could even get worse and you give them exactly what they ask for, which is boring as all hell to them because they gave the wrong answer.

Add the following situations to the campaign for your players to interact with:
>Difficult combat
>Puzzles
>Situations for PCs to interact with characters from their background
>Emotional scene or a chance for a player to narrate a part of the story

Who enjoyed it the most? Who struggled with it? There.

There's one player who is very reserved, and I'm attempting to draw him (and others) more into the game. He seems bored.

By 'difficult combat', do you mean near-death-experiences?

what is tactical vs. strategic?

Not necessarily since most combats will become deadly if dragged on for too long. I meant combats that require the use of tactics rather than swinging a sword blindly until everything dies (yet that can do as well to spot people that like combat). Weaknesses, the use of certain spell combinations, tricking your opponent, etc...

Tactics is individual battle set ups. Stategic is campaign level.

How you refresh your supplies, what you get for new equipment, what character options you pick is all strategic. Moving your characters around on the grid and making choices there in a battle is tactical.

I'm getting better at reading people as my collection grows.

Damn I want that

My god that's genius. Does it actually give advice to reading the results?

What if everyone wants to do their own thing?
Is that a Red Flag of sorts?

Not necessarily. Shadowrun more so than a lot of games is about people fitting into their role in the team to get shit done. Well-balanced characters who are jack-of-all-stats work fine, but at the end of the day they will still have a specific role in each mission. Having that role fit their personality and natural in-character tendencies ensures that things work better.

I like both of these

We play 3.5, by the way.