If a boxy Dreadnought gets knocked down, can it get back up without assistance?

If a boxy Dreadnought gets knocked down, can it get back up without assistance?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ABXTO7WjT-I
youtube.com/watch?v=W6g6QdTeJFs
youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nope, Dreadnaughts arms are too stubby for them to even achieve 45 degrees, let alone get off the ground

It could potentially get up by putting a fist on the ground and swiveling really fast.

Armless variants probably wouldn't be able to get up.

I mean, I know it's stupid to apply logic to the designs of 40k vehicles, but that seems like a huge flaw in their design. I'd assume they would have SOME kind of failsafe to pick them up when they fall down. Or minimally some kind of servitors accompanying them to help them up if they fall down.

Part of a dreadnoughts design is that it's not going to be knocked down easily. Unless you got something that will probably kill it anyway, there's not much that will have enough force to knock it backwards, and those stubbly legs, despite the silly looking hips, means that its top can rotate with the force of a blow more than you would expect, since they rotate their entire torso when swinging their fists or turning.

Anyway, I honestly doubt it could get up on its own.

They probably can't go up steep inclines though, they're just too top heavy.

That is true - while their feet seem to be able to tilt a bit, they'd probably fall back if the height's too steep.

But usually, that's not a problem. Stairs and ladders are probably the steepest things in 40k, since most everything else is intentionally designed for vehicles - roads are added, or lifts. Worst case scenario, Space Marines would rather take a longer route than leave their ancestorbox behind.

If there's a crater, it would have to walk around it.

Battlefields don't tend to stay flat for very long.

I can also imagine a melee dread flailing impotently at a bunch of Chaos dudes standing on a hill while they laugh and make faces at him.

Well too be fair even a melee dread will have a flamer or a stormbolter. But how deep would the crater have to be? A relatively shallow one wouldn't impede it much, and the hill would still have to be fairly steep to stop it.

I think at the end of the day, a dread is something that's meant to support its brothers, not fight on its own. Sort of like how you can't expect tanks to go up mountains. Let the infantry take care of it.

nah, but i mean how many marines could it take to right it again?

i mean, they're like 500 pounds of armor-assisted muscle for christ's sake, your average tactical squad could probably throw a dreadnought.

>Or minimally some kind of servitors accompanying them to help them up if they fall down.

It's always been my headcanon that some of the failed SM aspirants become servitors that accompany Dreadnoughts in battle. They help them to reload, and in some cases, use fancy servo arms to pick them up when they fall down.

Yeah, Dreads can get back up again. It's a little ponderous, but they can do it. They can use one hand, rotate their entire body 180*, and then push up from there with their arms. It's a challenge, but not an insurmoutable one.

Source: Remember reading about this once.

It's just a small walking tank. I don't see you faggots going "if a tank gets flipped over can it get back up" or "tanks have to go around deep pits/tank traps".

They even made that dumb Centurion to basically do Dreadnought jobs in areas Dreadnoughts couldn't access. Even though TERMINATORS were supposed to do those jobs.

The mountain from GoT basically lifted a car in the last strongman competition, so it's not even unrealistic

After watching them on the space marine game I must said it might be possible.

youtu.be/ABXTO7WjT-I

Less than 6, so it can be done easily by any combat or tactical squad. Even less required if they have towing gear which Rhinos do have and marines can simply pull instead of a vehicle.

BA dreads can right themselves with magna grapples.

People make fun of Dreadnought's boxy shape but in reality its wide stance combined with heavy enough legs and low center of gravity would make it quite stable. The bulk of the torso is mostly hollow armor shell and power cables.

It's a pity you can't change the colors on the dreads. Otherwise, they're really good.

To be honest, it's still Space Marine more than any other videogame - or even most art - that I think of as how a Space Marine should look and move.

Dreads actually have something for that and it usually takes 4 marines top to knock them back up.

The BA were probably all too aware of this problem and decided to fix it with the
Magna grapplers

They can't. Dreadnoughts have fully moveable legs with electromagnets and clamps. If they get knocked over they simply bend back up. Remember these things are fusion powered.

they do have knees. they can probably manage inclines of about 35degrees though not for terriblly long, but those are relatively rare and give even infantry & vehicles trouble.

youtube.com/watch?v=W6g6QdTeJFs

they are frighteningly more mobile than they're given credit for, and two armed variants *are* notorious for picking shit up and throwing it as impromptu ranged weapons.

>they are frighteningly more mobile than they're given credit for
That's space marines in general, really. People tend to forget how fast those dudes are going to be charging around, and a dreadnought can keep pace with them.

I wish Dreadnoughts were as good in the tabletop as they were in the DLC.

They'd pretty much just use Imperial Knight or Wraithknight rules and Dreadnought model.

So they're like those dudes with the wheelbarrows full of ammo in The Matrix Revolutions?

youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

I remember in Angel Exterminatus there was an Iron Warriors dreadnought that got knocked down, and six or seven marines were able to prop him up far enough to allow him to push himself the rest of the way up.

No, unless they spent the points to have a SRiMech equipped

Did they specify if it was a MkIV/V or a Contemptor?

That book is October 2012 set in 30k so it's probably a Contemptor.

>muh dreadnought hands

>no "even in death I still serve!"

What's the point?

This makes sense. Dawn of War animations show that it can spin 360 degrees.
So I figure they do the helicopter they are stuck.

Pretty much. If you think about it there's a limited number of positions a dread can get stuck. Face down, on their back, on their side, or upside down. Face down a dread could simply bring their legs under them and stand up. On their back would be a little harder but they could rotate their legs 180 degrees and stand up backwards. Same thing if they were on their sides. If they were upside down on flat ground they would have to swing their legs to tip over first and then stand up one of the other ways. Arms would make all of this a lot easier but are not strictly necessary.

One thing a dread can't deal with well is only having one leg. If they have an arm on the side with the missing leg they could use something as a crutch, otherwise they would be fairly immobile.

It's probably just a handy side effect of having the grapple. Dreads are stable enough to harpoon armoured vehicles and drag them closer so they're clearly not expected to fall over much.

I always imagine that if the contemptor is like a mecha space knight, then the boxnought is like the fully armoured and angry space dwarf. It might be stumpy and it might be silly, but it'll still kill you just as well.

It's a real shame in 30k boxnoughts are utter shit. Thanks, FW, not like I preferred them over the huge eggnoughts. The size creep on the contemptor variants is insane. The original should have not been much taller than a boxnought (the epic models weren't that different in height and in the old art the dread legs were shorter).

The way most patters of Power Armor are set up, MARINES probably can't get up, so what makes you think a box mit matchsticks for legs and arms could?

Seems like a good time to post this.

Shouldn't actually be too difficult, looking at how the hips are set up. You just need to get both knees up past the hips by hinging up into a downward dog and bringing one knee at a time up to the chest. Then just rotate the hips back and the chest will come up with the center of gravity over the knees.

Man I miss Space Marine.

It's my hope that if there is a sequel, the story mode would follow multiple marines from different chapters.

why are dreadnought multi-meltas so stubby and tiny compared to their other weapons

this helbrute has a huge gorilla fist and then a tiny baby gun on the other side, shit looks retarded senpai

Because all multi-meltas are stubby? Because the length of the barrel does not improve the range?

infantry multi-meltas look fine though, it's just the dread ones that look retarded. and the helbrute multi-melta is still bigger than an infantry multi-melta, so if you're going to bother blowing up the proportions then you might as well go all out so that it doesn't look stupid

>infantry multi-meltas look fine though

Because because you see the whole thing. On the dread the gun body is housed inside the arm, so only the barrels come out. It's true with the plasma cannon, autocannons, lascannons, etc.

>the helbrute multi-melta is still bigger than an infantry multi-melta, so if you're going to bother blowing up the proportions then you might as well go all out

Dread lascannons, assault cannons, plasma cannon, etc. are also bigger than infantry ones, but neither of them have the body of the gun extend out the arm.

>look stupid

Subjective. I don't mind it.

It gets back up again.
You're never keep it down.

It drinks a whiskey drink.
It drinks a vodka drink.
It drinks a lager drink.
It drinks a cider drink.

It sings the songs that remind it of the good times.
It sings the songs that remind it of the best times.

>not being able to play a W40K game like this but where the smallest unit is the Dreadnought

There are several very good reasons we never bothered to develop legged tanks.
For one, a tank doesn't commonly run the risk of being knocked onto its back by an impact on its front armor.

I always kinda assumed that, worst come to worst, any nearby squad of space marines, from fresh scouts up to the Chapter Master's Honor Guard themselves, would be honored to help a venerable Brother back to his feet in the case of treacherous footing or cowardly attack.

I think he was a boxnought, actually. It's been a while since I read the book now, but at least that's how I imagined it when I read it, because I don't think they ever specified he was a Contemptor, and there were times stuff got up onto his roof, which would've been more difficult with a Contemptor over a boxnought.

it is never a good time to post a thing based on shitty american housing.

Love that bit where it's shown that SM are actually genuinely scary for the simple fact that something that big and powerful should not move this fast.
Their brains can simply not comprehend it and goes into panic mode.

I like this concept

It was a box naught. A Salamander Box naught fought him in a little boxing match.

>It could potentially get up by putting a fist on the ground and swiveling really fast.
Yes, and notice the rhombohedral design of the torso armor?
I figure a Boxnought can roll it's upper torso around til it's in a "sitting" position, then hopefully heft itself onto it's feet from there.

Plus again, the point on the front and wide reverse slope on the back would put them into a sitting position eventually.

>boxnaught boxing
cute
u
t
e

There should of been a dreadnaught support option in the exterminatus mode.

b-but muh fluff rape and
Ultrasmurf plot armour

Space Hulk looks pretty good.

Why would people assume that big=slow? Bears, elephants, and rhinos can all move at a good clip and kill the shit out of you.

the average person does not get attacked by bears and rhinos

Historically speaking, the average person was fucking terrified of animals like bears, which is why their name is (or was in its original form) actually a euphemism in a lot of Indo-European languages, meaning "brown one", or "honey-eater", or whatnot. Apparently it's even more intense in Finnish, with a huge list of bear euphemisms.

I guess I should have clarified

The average person does not get attacked by bears and rhinos without shitting themselves in fear.

So, you mean the Chapter Serfs perform duties that the serfs are entrusted to perform, but with a few metal bits clipped on?

A tank also doesn't have to function in an environment made out of flesh and bone, or jungles so thick and made out of materials that cannot be easily cut down.

A tank is king of a proper flat battlefield and anywhere they can dig a proper defensive position in or put their speed and stability in use.

Boxnaughts are agile and speedy as all fuck dude.

Fuck, a Boxnaught probably has more dexterity and fine articulation than half the people in this thread.

lay on the floor and then try to get up without using your arms at all.

curl into a ball, roll around until you are the right way up, then stand straight up

You know those crazy capoeira breakdance leg twirls people do to get up in fighting movies?

Dreadnoughts do that.

>hardmode
>no legs either

The sad thing is that space marine was supposed to have a much longer campaign, with four separate classes (tactical, assault, devastator and something closer to what we played as) with leveling and skill trees.

Space marine was pretty enjoyable, but that would have been fucking amazing.

Better question, can Dreads crawl on all-fours?

Space Wolves get out

Didn't Miko make a sketch about this?