You have one post to justify severed limbs, crippling injuries and eyepatches in a setting with healing magic

You have one post to justify severed limbs, crippling injuries and eyepatches in a setting with healing magic

Other urls found in this thread:

plasticbrickautomaton.com/?id=71
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They make you look cool.

Healing magic is imperfect.

you have to get to them quick enough.

or

The magic is rare.

or.

Those with the talent to do it are rare.

or

Those with the talent to do it charge out the ass.

Healing magic only avoids scarring if it is performed before the wounds begin healing. Healing magic doesn't restore totally amputated or destroyed limbs, and cannot replace eyes.

Healing magic doesn't restore, it just accelerates the healing. If e.g. you are stabbed then the magic makes the wound close faster. If however your arm is severed it will create a stump unless you quickly attach the arm before casting

1) Wounds that are more difficult or even dangerous to heal (vile damage in D&D, aggravated damage in WoD/Exalted).
2) Healing magic that can only handle superficial or light wounds (most healing spells in D&D; you need regenerate to grow back limbs or restoration to heal a broken arm [ability damage]).
3) Healing magic isn't cheap, free, reliable, and/or easy. (literally any setting that isn't D&D)

Curse scarring.

Healing just magically accelerates and improves the body's normal repair capabilities. Scars will remain, as will any deformities, crippled limbs, etc.

Personal choice.

Healing magic works like OP's capability of creativity.

Wounds inflicted by cursed weapons can't be fully healed

Can't afford it

A warrior who does not remove a removable scar is one who holds a grudge. Was in one Gundam series.

Healing magic can only restore your hit points, it can't remove scars or lost organs/limbs.

damage and the healing that restores it is like an arms race. As healing magic gets better, those who wish to have effective weapons alter them to make sure the injuries they leave cannot be healed, which leads the healers to innovate.

I like severed limbs, crippling injuries and eyepatches

Allergy to magic

Not using healing magic imbues you with special powers. It's a divine universal degree that accepting wounds is rewarded.

There isn't any in the setting you are picturing
Problem solved.

Normal healing magic can only seal wounds and cure minor diseases, more potent magic that would be able to restore missing limbs is rare or expensive and not avaiable to anyone

this

Not everyone can afford 5gpXspell levelXcaster level for a casting of regeneration.

Cause they aren't a bitch.

Price and availability. There's billions of people in the world, but how many top notch surgeons?

You have to know a druid and be his friend.

i like it

>resurrection spells exist
>important people have died for reasons other than old age

Having trouble reconciling this in my setting honestly. I guess people capable of such magic are just rare, and such powerful wizards are often rather secluded and aloof.

I was gonna say the first one, and cite "particularly evil or vile shit like Morgul Knives and stuff".

Some forms of Undead might potentially have that kind of thing going in some settings, or you might have universally despised intelligent evil beings that manufactured poison that did stuff like that.

Or say, special, nasty things like Gáe Bulg.

Because you're hiding a bomb behind the eyepatch and it looks cool

Low level healing only supercharges your bodies own healing abilities.
High level healing is too limited, expensive or the guys who can do it are assholes.

why not make it that resurrection is not perfect? The soul (after dying) is not ok with returning to a body it knows is dead. Make it that they slowly lose the will to live/become mentally unstable/have their body start to fail

The healer who knows how to cast Regenerate is 200 miles out through monster territory, with no vehicles that make such a trip a day trip, mind, and no one in the village feels like dying to get your arm reattached.

In D&D theres a lot of reasons for that though, the soul must want to return to life for resurrection magic to work for starters, and even if they want theres a lot of thing that can happen to a sould after death, they might be trapped somewhere, they are might be stuck as amnesiac ghosts or they were devoured or destroyed by something, some gods may forbid their worshipers from returning to life, etc.

Also, most resurrection magic has limitarions, such as the need to preserve the person's corpse, time limits or extremely rare components

Healing magic can only cure infections, not magically mend scares, sort of a mystic form of antibiotics.

People either take precautions against it (raise dead can only do so much, and the higher you go the rarer the spellcasters who can pull it off are), pissed off the church, or the magic is sufficiently rare in setting.

Magi of the healing arts might be on time, yet they can't heal the limbs properly, which will cause necrosis in the wounded limbs. With probable zombification if the limbs are not severed

They might set the bones right, but a small mistake might make the bones keep growing until the subject becomes trapped into it's own flesh, unable to move. re-breaking the bones on regular intervals might prevent this though

An eye can be grown back, but sight is influenced by what lens you see the world. And an eye formed from pure magic might not be gentle on the mind. There have been several cases where subjects have torn out their new eyes, for they "spoke to them"

Alas, such is the way of magic, to eat and devour without much consequence. Yet we love it oh so dearly.

I forgot that a lot of souls go through reincarnation or merge with some outer plane, and the worst of all, you can just get glued to the wall of unfaithful for all eternity, really theres a lot of fucking reasons

I have never seen thread more thoroughly shut the OP down.

You have one post to justify eyeglasses in a setting with laser eye surgery.

The lenses would change the beam , making it impossible to hit your enemies with the laser

Sauce? The line technique is shite but the execution otherwise is quite excellent.

You don't have the money to pay for them
You don't live in a place that has experienced enough wizards
You want to look like a badass

Nowadays exist almost bionic eyes, do you see every one eyed dude with one? no? why?

not covered by your HMO

I think Artemis Fowl did this to a degree. At one point, Artemis has to reattach the fairy officer character's trigger finger using magic, and he has to make sure it lines up correctly so she doesn't end up with a useless gun hand.

It's too expensive

Sacrificing parts of the body for power. If you give something up for knowledge/magic (ie. Odin) and then heal it, the being you got the power off won't be best pleased...

Because of the nervous system.

Every time you regrow a section of the body, you get a new section of nervous tissue with it.

Do you know how nervous tissue attunes itself? Through pain.

So, imagine having to regrow an eye.

source?

It can't repair what's been lost. If your eye is floating in the river or your fingers have been eaten by a cat, you're not getting them back.
Additionally, waiting too long for magical healing interferes with the process, and very rarely it can make the muscle and bones knit wrong and cause pain and crippling. Thus you really do need some magical triage.

you dumb fags need to learn to use google images, but since I'm in a blissful drunk state, I'll satisfy you just once: plasticbrickautomaton.com/?id=71

It requires very powerful healing magic to restore lost limbs and fix scars

People who think magic is for weak people.

It is cost prohibitive.

You have one post to justify dying of HIV when modern medicine exists.

The gods have decreed that all must be held accountable for their decisions.

You take a random arrow to the eye for literally no reason? Just walking down the street and some adventurer's crossbow pistol went wide left to your peeper? No sweat, just get a cleric on that shit, you didn't do anything wrong.

You go off to war and catch a sword across your nose? Welp, you knew what you were getting into, and I hear masks are coming back in fashion.

But wait - if you were stabbed, you might have gotten some organs cut too. And what about if you got hit with a crude arrow, and some metal fragments stayed in the wound?

Healing magic only accelerates the bodies natural healing ability to super speed, so anything the body can't heal on it own, i.e. regenerating limbs, cannot be accomplished via magic healing.

then you pray to all known gods of luck and medicine that the fragments are not harming the organ too much or that you can take them out without harming the organ too much

Magic is dangerous and not used lightly, and the kind of magic to replace entirely destroyed body parts especially so. Furthermore, magisters are rare, oppressed, and exclusive in who they treat with.

(Warhammer Fantasy)

He's got the legendary sharingan.

Chicks dig scars

My war cleric lost an eye, back before he was a cleric

he didn't receive medical attention for hours, and as a grunt in an army, didn't get any sort of awesome cleric healing.

also you can just say that they chose to keep it, as a reminder of a failing or something

Healing magic can't repair severed limbs, crippling injuries and missing eyes.

The most powerful mages in my setting average around level 8 or so. The magic simply isn't available.

Holy fuck that's fucking weird man

Powerful magic weapons causing the injury

Magic can't replace lost body parts after a certain amount of time

Other stuff

It's a magical eyepatch. Wearing it grants the other eye enhanced eyesight, and other miscellaneous effects. The only reason they aren't wearing magical glasses instead is rule of cool.

Hard motherfuckers don't want to waste the mage's time or effort on the battlefield when they know they can survive without the eye/limb.

Magic has a cost. Strong magic has a high cost.

Well it is extremely expensive.
You could say, it costs an ARM AND A LEG.

But no in my own D&D setting healing magic, besides not PERFECTLY healing wounds (i.e it's basically just hyper-accelerated healing factor effect, leaving natural scarring) it's also a matter of time delay. The longer a lopped off hand is left the less healing effect the magic will have. Also I always liked the idea of actually needing to have the severed limb with you to reattach.

All healing magic does is soup up your natural healing to god like levels for a few brief seconds. and since your natural healing cannot fix missing limbs or eyes, and could have a crippling injury for life, there you have it.

It's silly. If you can afford, you can never die. And if you do, jesus fucking christ, you'll come back.
In fact, the entire D&D setting is based on ressurecting characters when they die, so you dont need to be all moody about "muh hero".
And since we all play D&D, because we are Veeky Forums, your post is bananas.
Here, take a free .gif.

hexed/cursed so that it can't be healed. (demoman)

the prosthetic is more useful than the original, or at least just as useful but in different ways that they got too used to to give up (for instance, Mad Eye Moody would probably be a good example)

the stump healed up, so now there's no wound to grow the limb in (though I suppose you could always just amputate the stump even further up, then do it).

also, pirates wore eyepatches, not to cover blind eyes, but so that one eye would be adjusted to the dark inside of a ship for boarding, while the other would be adjusted to the brightness above deck. So mundane eyepatches have a use even in non-magical realities when used creatively enough.

Regeneration is a high level spell in DnD/Pathfinder and not everyone can afford it or find a guy to cast it.

Organs will heal even if badly damaged, but the thing is that in real life you tend to die of infection or bloodloss or whatever before it can heal.

Metal fragments could be a thing but those are a thing even in modern medicine. People do tend to have bullets in them for decades.

Helloooo Dark Souls

I'd see it being that healers would need to practice some techniques to remove shrapnel and prep for the regenerative magic

OP here. Really I just wanted my character to look like David Bowie/ Mad Max but my GM pointed out that usually healing magic can fix eyes just fine

Make up a reason that the character refues to get it fixed. Like he got a bunch of friends killed and himself maimed by doing something really stupid in his past. He keeps the fucked up eye as a reminder to not repeat those mistakes.

/thread

Do you know how expensive Regenerate is!?

Trump

Magical injuries.

Healing magic doesn't reverse fibrosis and can't reattach body parts that are too badly traumatized or have been disconnected for too long

Healing magic is an acceleration of natural healing. It'll close cuts, mend bonds and repair organs, but it can't regrow something that's missing.

If I remember right from the comics, Fury in the original explanation (pre- Samuel L Fury) explained while he could get a cybernetic eye he'd rather keep the eyepatch to remind himself of his own mistakes.

preferably a combination of those.

Either because someone couldn't afford the services to heal wounded appendages and such, or they simply keep the wounds as a reminder of sorts.

Perhaps they got too cocky and paid for it, with that part serving as a constant reminder. Perhaps they were too weak at the time to do anything, and they keep it around to remind them of what they lost. Maybe they lowered their guard for one, just ONE singular moment, and paid the price for not keeping vigilance.

As said, it's more or less a personal choice.

because is healing magic, not regenaration magic

Automail is awesome.

It's somehow become tied in with their fighting style

I can now see with a thousand eyes?

>Guy with debilitation hates healers or healing magic because (insert reason here)

Guy has certain religious reasons for not healing particular injuries

>Mah Honor

>Mah proof of surviving (insert battle here)

>Not enough coin to get healed

>Not enough healing magic to go around (which is part of my specific setting)

And yet your setting is full of faggotry

There are those who refuse the touch of healing magic, preferring to survive on manmade devices rather than beg the gods to heal every scratch like a mewling child.

And in the end, is that not what the gods would want? Mortals capable of caring for themselves?

>be a commoner
>disemboweled by housecat
>ascend to your reward in heaven/elysium/whatever because you were always a good commoner tending to your crops or whatever it is the bloody help does
>literally in paradise
>some lantern archon floats up to you and asks if you'd like to go back to your previous existence of sleeping in a flea infested straw bed and shoveling horseshit or if you'd like another champagne bath before the running of the whores

Tough choice.

Religious or cultural reasons.

I had the opposite problem. I had a player throw a fit because apparently a level 2 cleric casting cure light wounds on an NPC who had been tortured for days by goblins, including blinding, toes chopped off and finger nails pulled out, was still unconscious after being brought to 1hp rather than prancing about and singing.