How does "everyone agreed not to kill each other with long-range AI missiles so that everyone wouldn't die from...

How does "everyone agreed not to kill each other with long-range AI missiles so that everyone wouldn't die from long-range AI missiles" stand as an excuse for "and a thousand years later they fight with swords in space"?

Not very good. A sore loser could bring the nuclear apocalypse upon the earth.

Anime is for fags.

Minovsky particles.

Your first mistake was posting about anime logic being retarded and expecting a serious response.
Your second mistake was not posting this in /a/. Contrary to belief, all boards are not /a/.

Isn't that just as applicable to our own world since the 1970's? It hasn't happened yet.

You misclicked. The site you were looking for is Reddit.

Your mistake was looking at the picture rather than reading the post, which you'd have seen refers to the Dune series more so than any anime if you had.

Gundam? Was;t the excuse that Minvosky Particles in high enough concentration basically fucked up the entire electromagnetic spectrum, right down to visible light?

Dune is Veeky Forums, and pretty bad Veeky Forums at that.

Not so far, but they supposedly made long range missiles ineffective. Funnily enough, the guy behind Gundam actually wrote pretty thorough essays about futuristic warfare which detailed precisely WHY giant mecha with swords are the least realistic possibility... than he sat down and said "how can I change reality the least amount in order to make that make sense?"

Cue Minovsky physics.

I personally think a better excuse for "we have sword fights in space" is "we have sword fighting sport leagues in space".

Nah, I've been on Veeky Forums since the board went up.

Anime is definitely for fags.

There was an agreement during WW1 to limit the use of gas as a weapon.

Look how well that worked out

>look mom, i shitposted again

You can't fool us, reditard. The clue?
This is an anime site for anime lovers. Always has been, always will be, no matter how much you cry about how anime triggers you.

Come back once you're actually old enough to post on this site, and when you realize that anime is a broad and wonderful medium that caters to all tastes.

Don't bother replying, just head back to red and stop pretending you've lurked here long enough.

Short, ignorant answer: It's fucking mechas and its cool
Longer, more informed answer: Gundam actually has a longer, more realistic answer to this and war evolved in such a way that AI missiles were useless against gundams (due to highly advanced armor and overall weaponry), dubbing missiles useless. cue energy swords

TRADITIONAL GAMES

I say lean into it.
"Mr. President, why did you approve this military grant for sword-fighting space robots?"
"Because it's BADASS."

Isn't Gundam where each robot can launch sixteen thousand missiles per battle?

I'm obviously talking about tactical launched missiles, user, not gundam-based missiles. those are a different beast.

Depends on the universe in question.

In the case of gundam they have an in-universe explanation for this with the Minovsky Particles.

History can work in bizarre ways, especially in small, isolated instances. Say you're talking about some sector of space which hasn't had contact with the rest of humanity for ages. In this particular sector, a thousand years ago, weapons technology got so advanced that if people ever "got serious" it'd be instant MAD. So as time passed, warfare became less and less serious and more ritualized, until eventually it was all about people hitting each other with swords. Would the first guy to dig back up the drone missiles be able to conquer the sector in two hours? Maybe, but it wouldn't occur to them. So far as they're concerned, warfare is as warfare has always been and gonna be.

I think thats Macross

There's a kinda similar case in Kevin Crawford's "Stars Without Number" setting. Once upon a time, missiles got so advanced "fights" would consist of one guy on each side of the solar system pushing a button, and then both of them waiting for two days until one was abruptly annihilated. Then someone invented some bullshit quantum jamming technology which made guided weapons useless, so everyone switched to line-of-sight lasers and what have you, and they've been using them for centuries. It's gotten to the point where, after a while, jamming technology became inefficient to deploy on the battlefield (why do it? nobody's using missiles), so in a way it's actually back to a point where missiles would be useful again - if anyone got the idea to use them.

The swords are because down the line humanity's FTL capabilities shut down for 500 years and in the meanwhile 90% of the survivors reverted to barbarism.

Lobbying.

Stars Without Number has a setting which is in the same time so very generic, but so very weird.

If you're referring to Dune, you grossly misunderstood the setting and missed a few essential parts of it. First of all the Great Convention wasn't a military treaty, and the Butlerian Jihad was less "Terminator" and more "Spanish reconquista with computers instead of Muslims".

Second, think less "long range AI missiles" (AIs and computers in general are explicitly forbidden no matter what) and more a 40k exterminatus to get a picture of Dune's firepower IF everyone stopped giving a shit about the Great Convention.

Third, SHIELDS. The Holtzmann effect makes guns, lasers and basically all ranged weaponry less than useless. The most practical way to bypass them is using ancient weaponry, namely knives, because anything with actual momentum would also get blocked by shields.

Oh, and the Butlerian jihad is seen as extremely ancient history, on a setting where most people see Earth as prehistory. It's not just been 1000 years.

>(AIs and computers in general are explicitly forbidden no matter what)
After the jihad. The Battle of Corin was fought in space with nuclear missiles fired from thousands of kilometers away.

Minovsky particles are high energy particles that form magnetic lattices when you run an electric charge through them.

On one hand, they can be dispersed to limit the effectiveness of BVR weapons (You can dumbfire artillery fine, but guided weapons get fucked by the magnetic shadow of the Minovsky field)

On the other side of things, you can jam a current through them in order to create a magnetic containment field for plasma (this is why Mobile Suits go up in brightly colored pink flashes - the generator collapses, the field is broken, and the fusion reactor spits out hot plasma like it's going out of style, flash-frying the whole damn thing)

It's also how beam weapons work (plasma 'envelopes' are formed using I-Particles, which are a form of high-density Minovsky particle - Beam rifles use it to shape and then release a charge, beam sabers maintain a circuit and fill it with plasma) and why I-Fields work (high-density I-Particle fields decohere plasma envelopes, causing beam weapons to fizzle out)

Minovsky physics is involved as fuck.

That's Macross.

Brian Herbert's writing is so different from his dad's that they're often considered two different canons. He did shit like changing the name of Paul's grandfather because he apparently thought he didn't have one.

To add on this, while I was showering it struck me how dumb that was

The Great Convention says "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind". This is referring to computers rather than AIs, which as far as it's known may have not even existed on the original novels. Now imagine using computers to literally make an artificial recreation of a human mind.

How do the short range missiles work, than? These are clearly still guided, and they can home on mobile suits just fine.

>Contrary to belief, all boards are not /a/.
This, holy shit it's bad enough we have all the Jojo fags shitting everything up already

Legend of the Galactic Heroes does something with super volatile particles which are spread over battlefields as a matter of course before combat so that anyone who fires a gun would cause an explosion centered on themselves. Hence everyone fights with axes and swords.

Because of various "It's science, I don't have to explain shit" bullshit

In reality people would probably snipe each other from millions of miles away with targeting computes as there is no drag

There wouldn't really be an up or down in space fights either

Dune has a similar explanation, where fields make using lasers dangerous as they can cause massive explosions and colleteral damage, hence swords and knives being used.

Wouldn't the means used for long-range sniping count under whatever same treaty has forbidden them for purposes of preventing too destructive warfare?

There is one thing I don't understand about Gundam.
Physical swords and such.
How are they made? What kind of fucking giant forge do they come from? How much fucking resources does that burn?

Gundamium. Also there's a reason why the mainstay of CQC gundam combat are energy swords

Well the thing is, not every Gundam series is in the same continuity. The main universe has all the fancy Minovsky physics, the others don't.

Poorly.

They guess-timate. They aren't homing in EXACTLY where the Gundam is, but are targeting an area they think the Gundam is in. That's why you launch so many guided ones, a damaged Gendam ends up a dead one.

>The main universe has all the fancy Minovsky physics, the others don't.
00 had GN particles...

Which are fundamentally different from the way that Minovsky particles, in that they primarily effect weight and gravity.

The way minovsky particles work*, fuck me.

Minovski Haze was a thing. In Zeta Gundam the AEUG took advantage of it a few times using balloons shaped like asteroids and mobile suits to confuse Teetan spotters.

We also haven't regressed to melee though.

>Le reddit boodeyman meme

>realize that anime is a narrow and shit medium that caters to only my fetish tastes.
FTFY

What are you talking about? Frank Herbert never described any Battle of Corrin.

>narrow and shit medium that caters to only my fetish tastes
literally how?

OP Premise is pretty poor, but provides a substrate for something greater. CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:
>Highly advanced race that eventually trans-substantiated to become gods originally held to this rule for almost a thousand years and every time it was broken people suffered immensely.

>Now that they are the man in charge, any race sufficiently advanced that they COULD build giant robots has direct hand of god intervention to prevent anyone from using long-range guided missiles in warfare, with rule of cool exceptions and bending of the rules silently handled on a case by case basis

>Why risk investing in weapons systems close to the boundary of what is acceptable when you can't guarantee they will work in a combat situation?

ECM outpaces sensor tech so dramatically that even the smallest ship can carry a device that renders all forms of tracking useless within a range far greater than the blast radius of the most powerful weapon of the time.

How about laser missiles, Honor Harrington style?