What the fuck is this part of Space marine helmets?

What the fuck is this part of Space marine helmets?
Looks like an air intake or something, but I don't see why you'd put one there since there's also a mouth grille.

It's an air blower that removes guts, gore and xeno shit from your eyes.

It's where a crest would be put if the helmet had one.

It's not an intake, it's a vent. Air blows out of it, not in, to equalize pressure and regulate temperature inside the helmet. It's a real thing that exists.

Those would just be tiny compressed air nozzles very close to the eye lenses.

>Tactical quiff.

it's a mohawk for being badass

I was just going to say it's rule of cool but yeah that works also.

The original marine model had a targeter mounted there, but I don't think it has any real purpose nowadays.

It's for attaching helmet decoration for high-ranked marines. It's present on every helmet (at least for given armor pattern) to signify any marine has the potential to rise to such glory.

>rule of cool
>what 40k fans say instead of just admitting that the designers are morons

One of the most important things your learn in Art when drawing anything technological is two things
1: To make sure you're your object does not look bland. Too many smooth surfaces often just looks flat and boring (there are exceptions to this, but lets not go into that). Do this but adding random "bits" to your object.
2: Make sure your "bits" are both vague yet suggestive enough to make sure any one that look at it projects what they believable are functioning part.

Then why is there a hole on the front? That you can pimp it seems like a secondary use.

Literally asked and answered already, faggot. Read your fucking thread.

The part that protects the mohawk.

I find it funny that you think I didn't.

actually is the vox antenna of the helmet.

Look it helps to make him look fucking cool. Don't question and start buying.

Farkin ideots in this thread.

Its for added protection from crushing forces on the top of the head. It also looks partially like a Roman plume. If you havent figured it out yet; marines are basically Romans in space. Especially the ultramarines.

okay, but in this case it applies.

It's the Julius-pattern Mk V Roman Imitation Ridge (Helmet), and is absolutely essential to squad level evocation of vaguely classical aesthetics.