/shg/ - Super Heroes General

From street-level to cosmic and everything in between, this is the thread to discuss all things superheroic, at least as tabletop games go. Mutants & Masterminds, Marvel Heroic, Heroes Unlimited, Dark Champions, Villains and Vigilantes, and any other system out there, this is the thread for you if you want to feel superhuman.

Last thread:
>/shg/ team
pastebin.com/4ZEeWk7F
>/shg/ Statesmen
pastebin.com/qCgQBDgr

Topic Starter: Romance. Almost every hero has their Mary Jane or Louis Lane.How do you handle it in your games? Has it gone well or into the magical realm?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_religion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't you find superheroes too childish?

Cape shit is fun

Don't you find Veeky Forums too childish?

Wrong board senpai

Oh yeah?

Well YOU'RE childish. How do you feel about THAT?

I know this is bait but motherfucker you're posting on a board that owes it's existence to a children's book; sit the fuck down

whether or not something is childish is a matter of tone, tone and genre are independent, they are equally capable of being childish or not childish as every other genre. Hell superhero's not even really a genre, it's more like a tag you apply to other genres, a superhero thing (comic, movie, game, whatever) could be action, fantasy, comedy, horror, detective. In short it's such a broad area that attempting to make any comments about superhero's as a whole is essentially pointless.

Clearly you didn't even bother reading the OP.

>Cape Catfights
The absolute best. We got part of one drawn up last thread.

I always thought romance needed to be explored in a cape setting beyond the usual "Flash is having trouble with Iris again" angle.

What if there was a society that arranged marriages between supers to produce stronger offspring? I remember Cape World has an Easter Europe that has a couple of countries off in the corner that are ruled by caps feudal style.

Has there ever been a love triangle between two capes an an unpowered person? That could be an interesting angle to pursue.

Hell, Super Hero matchmaker could be an interesting idea to work a story around. Just a guy trying to help these goldings with super powered soap opera lives find peace and happiness in their relationships.

>Don't you think elves/spaceships/vampires/magic/rpgs are childish

Scoffingmenatfuneral.jpg

I lured my hero rival's girl into my clutches. Slowly working my magic on her, in time she may prove to be a good protege, since she herself is a minor hero.

Maybe some questionable closeness pertaining to reconditioning her, but nothing magical realm, my character isn't gay.

Do you mean two supers fighting over a normal, twilight-style, or a super having to choose between another super or a normal, betty and veronica-style?

Isn't that what happened between Superman, Wonder Woman and Lois Lane? There was some fear that Lois physically couldn't handle banging Superman, but Wonder Woman could.

So we have good, flavorful writeups of Capeworld USA, Japan, Germany, UK, and now Australia.

They've managed to have "themes' while still having variety. Germany is about coming to terms with the past with Bucket Head and Dussenmann's stories. Australia is about thoughtful creation vs mindless destruction with the Rainbow Legion fighting against Echidna. UK is about supers as political figures with the Round table acting like the Authority and The Irregulars being a history of government boogiemen from Cromwell to Thatcher, Japan is about perseverance and hope with its story of Meowing Midori and the Man from Light. And the USA is about the struggles of diversity and creative uses of power and potential.

What country should we try next? I kind of want to see what we do with Mexico. Because El Santo and luchadors are awesome.

Hmmmm...has there even been an example of the first outside of Japanese Harem stuff?

>Man of Steel Woman of Kleenex

Imagine having to play match maker when one of the clients is someone like Rogue. Or one is an energy being. Or transforms into a monster when they get excited.

Its a quirky as hell concept but Super Matchmaker seems to have the potential for a handful of interesting stories.

On the topic of the round table, do we actually have a pantheon like marvels norse and dc´s greek written up?

As for mexico. Luchadors are from what i´ve heard big on legacy and secret identidy (might have it mixed up with something else). So we could have some sort of multigenerational super community.

>Be a normal girl
>Fall in love with a normal guy
>Find out that's his secret identity. He's really one of the most powerful men on the planet and he hangs out with exotic beautiful women that can bend steel. They all have 10/10 bodies that make yours look like shit and they dress in swimsuits. Some of them are super geniuses or actual alien princesses. On might be a goddess.

Oh fuck that would give me so much feels to read something like that.

>Louis Lane

New player.

Can I play Jawsome-like character in this?

>pantheon
A few gods and god-like entities have shown up. The Rainbow Serpent of Austria is around. And he's also Typhon and Nidhogg. The Navajo Alien God Killer is around. Bob Cat might be a "modern goddess", the spirit of the Mississippi River.

But there hasn't been too much pantheon discussion.

>Luchador Legacy
This could be cool. We've only seen a few big legacy characters so far like Fisher-Girl and the Fishermen that came before her or Ned Kelly inspiring armored heroes and villains in Australia.

Mexico shouldn't have super teams so much as families. I'm thinking something like a much softer Game of Thrones. You have competition and intermarriage between powerful cape families.

Maybe we could sneak the "super matchmaker" idea into Mexico? The established families want to make sure their sons and daughters marry people worthy of them, and some want to try to play super genetics and make a wonder kid.

>Jawsome
Oh god I just had a nostalgic flashback to when I was eight and played with Street Sharks...

>Austria
I mean Straya.

I shit you not i was just thinking about coming up with a pantheon of greek gods. people that are bloodline related to greek gods or some shit.

Do Rogue's touch based powers have priority over other people's touch based powers?

Like if Rogue made out with Sapphifre Styx or Poison Ivy, what would happen?

Rogue sucks their shit out.

And the legacy thing isn't just super luchadors. It's super priesthoods of Catholic capes sanctioned by the Vatican and families of Nagual that have existed sense before Cortez.

Blood should be the theme of Mexico, Both in terms of blood-lines and ancient Aztec blood magic.

Maybe there's an team of ghostly "Day of the Dead" style skeletons that are dead super heroes and super villains of long ago looking for redemption or another chance to save the day? They only can appear in Physical Earth on certain days like The Day of the Dead and certain saint feast days.

So grandpa super can tell the latest kid to wear his costume exactly what he thinks, and the old mad scientist can scoff at the violence and lack of imagination of modern super villains.

The big anxiety would be that your boyfiend would share all kinds of death defying, high stress experiences with them and not you. Stress creates bonds and intimacy, which leads to affairs.

So multiple superfamilies in either the superhero business or villainy. One of them, perhaps a neutral party arranges marriages between them, so that their legacys can continue. Young upstarts with nothing to their name are allowed to intermarry with the veterans, when it suits the family or in rare cases out of love. Other newcomers can and are encouraged to start their own family soon after starting out.

Background chescks are important, as far as something can be found oout about the marriage canditates it has to, one wouldn´t eant to have someone trying to endager the family marry into it.

>New Luchador hero THE JEWELED MASK
>He fights crime in a mask covered in Jewels that give him powers
>The previous masks that wore these jewels are now on three skeleton heads.
>His grandfather and greatgrandfather are talking skeleton heads in lucha masks
>They serve as shoulder angels. Great Grandfather wants the kid to be more violent because he was a 1920's style avenger who suplexed vampires to death. Grandfather wants the kid to be softer like he was because he was a silver age hero.

THE JEWELED MASK, good idea or bad idea?

Sounds good. Catholic countries are always been big on marriage with lots of kids. It makes sense the super hero community would follow tradition.

You didn't really answer my question.

Can I play as a sharkman in Shadowrun.

Honest question, since I'm considering for a while trying GURPS: Supers.

How the fuck NOT end up with entire party of basically brawlers? I mean no matter how hard I think about it, in the end I can't think about party that doesn't punch things/shoot them with guns (which renders the concept of supers pointless) and all types of psychics and wizards feel like support doing fancy stuff in background.

Any advice or this is just a stample of genre and I should accept it as it is?

>Almost every hero has their Mary Jane

Not according to Quesada, Slott, et al.

Fucking hacks.

We've been worldbuilding. We have art. We have pastebins.

I'm sorry user, but you simply triggered too late to stop us.

Great work, Edspear!

This may be my favorite pic made in these threads so far.

No.

I think it's infinitely more childish to consume a certain type of media just because it's perceived to be more mature.

Like whatever you want to like. So long as you're not a creep or a dick about it.

Well, look at it the way M&M does it. Damage powers, for example, all do the same thing. They do damage. At their simplest, a punch is no different than an energy bolt. Except a bolt is ranged while the punch isn't. What makes them really different is the descriptors. A blast of fire doesn't do the same things as a blast of lightning. Using comic book logic, a fire blast might be able to completely negate a water blast (with resulting steam providing cover for the next round). A lightning bolt, however, wouldn't be able to stop a water blast. What it could do is counterattack, sending electricity back to the water user!

That sort of thing is where you get your differences.

>Can I play Jawsome-like character in this?

Man-shark is almost trivially easy to make. Hell, M&M has one as a villain. Your basic super strength + bite and grapple, with swimming powers and some immunity to drowning and pressure.

I hate being late to worldbuilding sessions.

You haven't missed much. The thread is only getting started on Mexico, which apparently will be all about legacies and super families, with plenty of lucha mixed in.

So im thinking of a group from Greece named the pantheon or something. descendants of Greek gods that inherit their respective powers by finding an artifact relating to said deity.

I too have read Scion.

I have not read that. lol

But that still boils down to fighting. I mean... can't you make a super that is not a fighter? You can do that in other types of role-playing settings

yeah why can't they be mature for muature adults like warhams 40k ir D&D?

That's the big part of the joke on plenty of Venture Brothers characters.

And there was a ton more of that this season.

Such as Wes Warhammer; Andy Warhol by way of Lex Luthor.

The betty and veronica thing could be great fuel to the Genie guy. Pictured him being very Archie Esque.

Which by the way, do we have a name for him and the genie?

Hence Rogue's angst. She can never truly know the touch of another.

Goddamn do I love the mythology of mexican wrestling. I really ought to get into it more.

But basically with El Santo, as compared to other wrestlers and heroes, you basically got this guy who has comics and stories about fighting aliens, rival masks, and demons, which you then go "no way it could be real" only for him to exist in the ring in real life, and doing stuff in movies.

Plus goddamn El Santo was a cool dude.

Is it cool to just straight up convert Santo into a hero for the setting? Just as is. No powers or anything. Just some batman esque guy who uses strength and wits and turnbuckles against the badguys.

>powerful cape families in mexico.
I'm suddenly reminded of that one cartoon where the kid was neutral, dad was good guy, and grandpa was a villain. And the grandpa and dad were trying to get the kid to be more like one of them.

Same guy did design stuff for book of life i believe.

What's the point?

The premise of classic comicbook stories is that Heroes punch Evil in the face. If you don't want to punch Evil in the face in a traditional comic book setting, you're probably one of those guys who try to play pacifist characters in D&D.

It sounds like he wants to play more of a support role than a directly combative one, think Hawkeye as a lookout for the Avengers, it should be doable but he's complaining about the lack of mechanical support for playing the leader/strategist/support role as opposed to a front-line fighter

Well, there are plenty of skills and advantages that let you pass on bonuses to team-members in M&M. And there's the Luck power in general.

Great Idea.

And perhaps Current Jeweld mask's thing (in order to bring conflict between him and both ancestors) is that he's just doing the super thing for fun.

No Backbreaking Grim-dark super seriousness like Jeweled Mask the 1st. Nor is he super squeaky clean like the boyscout that is Jeweled Mask the 2nd.

perhaps the linking legacy between himself and his grandfather is a loving mama, who'd be okay with whatever her little hijo does with his life.

Might draw this. Goddamn.

Pic unrelated. Some half asleep drawing from last night that I never posted. I know there's such a thing as too much Jojo, but have i hit that point yet?

Man i even forgot to turn on my trip for that one. But then again I might be the only one doing lots of drawing.

Thanks again user. I should really start gathering these up and posting them.

I still keep forgetting to work on the Generals "all together now" drawing. Lost progress on it when the computer crashed.

>Implying you wouldn't

I like being there from the very beginning and I don't want to derail by making a separate universe, Marvel to your DC.

Yeah, he's one of based Del Toro's guys.

We need some Blue Demoan and el Santo up in here

We could always make a marvel, when we are one day finished with our dc.

Allthough heroes that travel to and from alterante universes are a thing (spider-verse for example). Maybe we could work something like that in. Working on one myself right now.

So, just throw out a few ideas, some of them are going to catch on.

>unironic Nickelback poster

Not even once.

Or maybe more like Image or other independent comics. I like niche and cult followings.

I remembers.

Whoah, calm the fuck down with the amount of implying

Pretty much this is my point. It's like the rules are written for punching Evil in the face and nothing else. I mean what if your super has such marvelous powers like creating illusions or really good hearing? Still superpower, just not exactly making you a great brawler, because you punch like everyone else and dodge like everyone else.
Now if we were talking about any other genre, sure, such character can still have place, say, as a support or team's smart guy. Or even as the face. In case of supers - you better make different character.
And what fun is in having 5-member strong player party if all have the same PC, just in different costume?

Now, let me get this clear in advance, before someone starts implying again. I have nothing against the genre. But I hardly see the fun in situation with very limited variety of choices and entire party consisting of the same character type.

>not playing a pacifist cleric

It would be amazing if we just straight up carried El Santo over

How about the history of Mexico?
Were Aztec and Mayan religions involve the other Earths? How active were spirits and gods in ancient Mexican civilizations?

One unique thing about the Aztec's religion is that it was inclusive.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_religion
>The Aztecs would often adopt gods from different cultures and allow them to be worshiped as part of their pantheon...but became an integrated part of the Aztec belief system; sometimes foreign gods would be identified with an already existing god.

Could we do something with that? As the Aztec empire grew from conquering other groups, their pantheon, the amount of gods who were worshiped by them and thus helped and protected them, also increased? They had conquered Mexico because they had the most gods?

Anyone have any other ideas for ancient Mexican history, or any other part of history?

Slow thread today

El Tigre was the shit

less childish than D&D to be quite perfectly honest

Hey guys any tips about writing a heroes origin? how would you write it?

Alright, fellow Wild Talents players of Veeky Forums. Let's get Progenitor up in this.

Dark energy is contagious. Everyone who becomes metahuman catches it via exposure to another metahuman, all the way back to the Progenitor. But the transmission is not always smooth or easy. Nor is it unlimited.

The Limits of Power Descent
Every metahuman has the potential to create a number of offspring (though in the case of closed vectors, described below, that potential is blocked). The more energy he’s carrying, the stronger and more numerous his direct offspring. Amanda, the first and most potent superhuman, can produce ten offspring. Because she’s Tier One, her ten power descendants make up Tier Two. Each of those Tier Twos can create nine offspring at Tier Three. The Tier Threes can each make eight Tier Fours, and so forth.

Most metahumans, whether they understand it or not, are stable vectors. Until they’ve created their allotment of power-offspring (that is, until they reach equilibrium), there’s a chance of contagion every time they use their power. The chance depends on their Tier. Before equilibrium, stable vectors can have a tricky time of it. If their powers are aggressive or dangerous, they risk creating a meta-enemy every time they use them on someone who isn’t already super. (If someone already has dark energy powers, they can never get more or push someone towards equilibrium through simple exposure.) At Tier Ten, there’s only a ten percent chance of ‘reproducing’—and then only once, and then only if you have Marks (people who gain Willpower but not powers from the tranmission) in play.

Just pick a time period and pick a random person to be your Progenitor, the one who goes through freak exposure to Dark Energy turning them into a godlike superhero, and they'll accidentally empower their loved ones and enemies before they realize it and the Dark Energy will spread from there.

I'm thinking the gods for the Aztecs were something they Parlayed with rather than actively worshipped. Striking bargains with gods rather than worshipping them. I feel like they should be more belonging to physical earth, if only because we got a lot of actual magic and mysticism all around, so Aztecs and stuff being ancient super scientists (what with their calandar system and astronomy work) could be really flavorful.

They conquered other cultures and let them keep their gods as a matter of keeping them placated perhaps?

Or they collected gods to worship and power their super science.

These are a couple of weird ideas.

Epicurus is the Progenitor, but all his powers are closed vectors. He dicks around for a few decades then dies bangin hooers. He is the only superhuman in history.

Even in MnM I found I was able to do my favorite Wild Talents thing of making a character with a useful power that was not a direct attack. If you want to trap badguys by decaying the floor to create a big hole in the ground, you can. If you want to sneak by them and rescue the hostages without engaging you can. Ideally someone else in your party will want to punch them, and they can do that while you sneak, so that every type of story can be told potentially.

I worked on this super quick. Did we determine what the Subterranean Jack Kirby monsters would look like?

I heard Molemen and whatnot, but I decided to lift a little bit of aesthetic from Gerry Anderson.

Inhuman monsters that see themselves as true rulers of the overworld. Slithering their way up to the surface.

Rock Snakes look legit

>Deals with gods
That would be a way to work in all the human sacrifice stuff they did. Pay for the favor of their gods with sacrifices.

A Zulu warrior is the Progenitor, passing powers on to King Shaka and possibly missionaries, British soldiers and Boers in the British army.

I feel like they're suitably pulpy enough to fit the mold of Jack Kirby monsters.

Plus i like Gerry Anderson stuff.

Not gonna lie probably gonna make that into a DnD monster

>not reposting supercatfight

Would anyone be interested in this?

I'd like to keep it fairly tight conceptually and aesthetically though.

some of this I could see also applying to Spain and Italy as well(not to mention some of the other Central and South American countries)

I'd like to run some street-level supers as a series of one-shots after a massive binge of all sorts of comics and cartoons.

In those, it seems like the characters can make it through an entire city in pursuit of a villain or in order to stop a crime. And the scenery of the fight often changes. What if the fights suddenly shifts into a factory, a chemist's lab in a learning institute, or even a multiple story building with lots of crashing through floors? Should I have the entire city planned out?

And when designing, do you prefer to create a town that's Totally On The Map Of The United States We Swear, or put your characters into actual New York or other big city?

Also, what's the recommended system to play for beginners?

Goddammit, as if we don't have enough generals of things that are only tangentially related to actual traditional gaming. Why can't you take this capeshit garbage to /co/?

You do know that supers are a fairly sizable chunk of the tabletop market, right?

my best advice if your going with the make your own cites route is to make it just filled in enough to be interesting but not so much that you can't improvise when you need to.

They are not the nearly the same as childish superheroes. Grow the fuck up.

I would say you make up your own city if you're new to this kind of game.

Makes it easier to improvise or change things, plus you don't have to worry too much about overall worldbuilding.

That's just my opinion though and to be honest I've never ran a superhero game myself. Sorry if this isn't too helpful, but stick around, last few threads were very active. Not sure why we're so slow today but more posters more knowledgeable than me are bound to show up again sooner or later.

>Tries to stir shit up in a slow thread that's already got some stuff done
>Enters thread on topic despite not liking the topic
>Acts with the authority to decide what is and what is not related to "actual traditional gaming"
>Spends time on actual traditional gaming board
>Spends time actual traditional gaming
>Acts with the authority to decide what is and what is not childish

What's that from?

Behold the fearsome super-stupidity of Captain Retard

Is El Santo saving Meat Loaf from the I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) music video?

Sure she can.
She just eats their soul whilst she's getting touched.

Oh please! Those two Neutrals are actually good inside.
You can tell because they don't have mechs.

It really bugs me that there never actually is any bait on the hook in any of these bait pics

Is anyone running a supers game that could take another player?

So I'm just coming in out of context -so excuse my ignorance if this isn't the place to discuss it- but I'd like to talk about something I've been casually milling/thinking about in my spare time concerning superpowers and so forth:

I like the idea of super powers being progressive as opposed to stagnant, I.E: people grow into their powers, but through practice, time and deliberation they can take their powers in progressively unique and dynamic directions.

Let me provide an example of what I mean:
-Young Man has the ability to breath fire. Inherently not a spectacular power to speak of: He's immune to the temperature of the fire he produces, but can't handle anything hotter.

-Through time and effort though: He can increase and expand the capacity of his lungs, he can breath hotter flames for a longer period of time and in turn withstand higher temperatures as a result- growing and adapting with his power.

-Perhaps even over time learn to do unconventional things that branch from this ability: spitting hot globs of mucousy flame that stick onto things

-Every Power (no matter how useless) generally has some A or B-list potential that it can potentially achieve through persistent development and creativity.

That's the general concept I'd like to worth with at least.

I don't know what I want to do with it at the moment, but I think it's a really interesting idea- I'd also love to apply it to other powers and abilities (ESPECIALLY SEEMINGLY USELESS ONES).

that's how I tend to think of powers myself.
maybe it's cause I've read a crap ton of fighting manga but I like procession of powers as opposed to western comic tendency to just slap a label on wither a power is lame or not and call it a day, and when they do decide to use them more creatively suddenly their a god cast in flesh without really having to work for it.

>pic case in point

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis.

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so.