Maps

post maps you made, played on, want to play in, like, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

maps.stamen.com
experilous.com/1/product/worldbuilder-demo
donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/
davidson16807.github.io/tectonics.js/
cliparts.co/cliparts/8TE/jny/8TEjny4jc.gif
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is the only map I have ever made, how'd I do?

I usually play with inkarnate when I'm bored.
Not sure what this one is meant to be, just one of the few I made this month.
(Inb4 inkarnate is shit, I know, don't care, I go with PS for the important campaigns)

its pretty shite desu, sorry mate

saw that map on the last thread, been wondering where it was made ever since. Anyone has any idea?

I have cobbled some yet unused hexmaps.

I really have no idea how to make interesting topography.
Does it at least look semi decent?

Looks fine at that scale. Although your outline is a tad to mighty. What do you want to do with it?

Bit of a work in progress. I'm not good at this.

The outlines will be 1 pixel wide.
I didn't want to go in detail before I work down the general shape.

I like it, though I would've removed the center mountaims or joined them with the left ones. Bottom island looks like it could have a volcano in there.

I feel these map threads need a bit more discussion themes. A bit of applied worldbuilding perhaps.

Could be someone just coloring in a grid.

In progress.

This is a work in progress from me. Planning on using for doublecross, but I guess anything modern woould work for it.

Took a screenshot off of a city from google maps and am filling in for clarity and to remove the words and excess symbols and shit that you can't get rid of.

After that my goal is to find a way to put it somewhere that I can add clickable flags to it that would let you pull up information on whatever a spot is, without players being able to move them.

Still working out how exactly to do that last part...

>look at some of the inkarnate maps on this board
>decide to make one for a setting in development
>it's a lot harder than you though
fuck me i have no patience, this is what I have after an hour and a half

here are some free, label-less maps I digged up on deviantart. Might be useful for someone. 1/4

2/4

3/4

4/4

This one I thought was from deviantart but by the filename I guess its stolen from a fellow fa/tg/uy. It looks like its from inkarnate too, gr8 job m8

Map I made for my brother's world building project.

Map I used for a while, its no masterpiece but I made it quick and it was good for a short campaign.

I did copy the Elf names from Warhammer though since my players don't know anything about that setting.

user, Blackpool and Huddersfield are the domain of barbarians and thieves, not elves.

I was referring to Ulthuan and Caledor as being from Warhammer.

Huddersfield was a farming town and Blackpool was a fishing/swampy town but it got razed by Beastmen in the first 2 sessions.

It looks really good. Was thinking about designing a map with inkarnate like that too...
Do you use a drawing tablet or your mouse ? Because it looka really good for a mouse.

From what I recall it was a mix of using a mouse and my Pro Surface 3.

Thanks for the reply, keep up the good work !

Consider saving that map as a duplicate, and then making another map, with far fewer varieties of tiles, making it easier to digest.

What are you using to build it?

Pretty shoddily made, but it's my first attempt at a map and at a setting. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to remake it using either Inkarnate or just trying to do a much better job with paper, pencil and pens.

It's supposed to be only a region of the world it takes place in, and I had an idea of portions of the world having rifts into the elemental planes. I think my next attempt at mapping this will still have them.

You might want to try this to speed up your mapbuilding
maps.stamen.com

how to quickly hash out a map

>download space engine
>find planet you like
>fuck with the planet editor, mess with sea levels and terrain elevation RNG until you get something you like
>export texture
>????
>profit

obviously it needs some cleaning up/detailing in GIMP or something, but it yields decent results.

this planet has shittons of volcanoes and no ice caps, for whatever reason

here's a better version I stitched together. not sure whats up with the weird airbrushed part

His point was that they're both real places (that he was making fun of, though they're not exactly nice)

I make shitty maps all the time

I just can't stop biting coastlines off. I need professional help.

I don't really know why, but I really dislike your names. I'm a fucking nazi when it comes to naming things – I'll shoot down anything that sounds remotely 'weird' – but I can't quantify what makes a 'good' name.

My main thing is when people just smash random syllables together, I guess. That's not how language works.

In other semi-related news, how do people name things? Random online generators, your mind, or actual locations? I sometimes zoom in on a random part of the world in Google Maps and steal a tiny village name, since that's about as authentic as you can get.

>No France
Well at least they got something right.

Oh lol really? I just made up some generic fantasy names but I now see that those are towns in England

Well, congratulations. That's how naming works – [adjective][geographical noun].

>My main thing is when people just smash random syllables together, I guess. That's not how language works.
That's fair enough. I try to work out words and morphology, but entire dictionary is beyond my scope, so yes, I just smash syllabels together in attempt to get certain feel out of them.

I've constructed several languages each with their own grammar, syntax, and phonetics, and simply use phrases which describe the location, such as "dry place" for a big desert, "rising sun sea" for the eastern ocean, and "place you must avoid" for the black lands of evil. It's an incredibly complex way to get names like "Arengesh", "Ballis Ocean", and "Urghamag", but that's how I roll.

Nah, in reality, all it takes is figuring out what rolls off the tongue easily, while still conveying a sense of what the place is about. The Western tradition of languages has a lot of roots and other little bits which subconsciously convey certain things, and that's what I usually draw from. This can also help characterize the people which inhabit a place--Nordic-sounding syllables are often ubiquitous in the Frozen North, of course.

I like it better than donjon maps

Conlanging is my jam. Too bad I am never dedicated enough to a single language.

So many things are better than Donjon maps. This thing actually MODELS tectonics and precipitation and wind patterns!

experilous.com/1/product/worldbuilder-demo

Plus, it looks much better.

Doing a little dump here of some of my settings maps.

Starting with a simple layout doodle.

Converted (roughly, oh so roughly) into Inkarnate.

Zooming in. I sort of like the name but fear all the "ass-candy" jokes that haunted the old Ashkandi, Greatsword of the Brotherhood.

Zoom in more!
This is turning into some kind of bad CSI spoof.

That's it for now.

Nice user. I used a similar concept for mine

This is a small part of the world map, but it's where most of the action takes place. Made with a mapgenerator obviously.

Here's a stylised version of this I did for the actual campaign (the other continent is not![America after it was just discovered]).

Is there a label-free version of this one? And yes I have all the intentions of stealing it for a future campaign, so if you don't want to share it, my bad matey

For a low fantasy forum RP i've done. Essentially late roman inspired world inhabited by preistoric south american megafauna.

No elves, wizards nor magic, only prehistoric beasts.

r8 pls senpai.

Haven't played this one in a while cause we're on a bit of a haiatus but I like it. We're currently on route to the stuff nobody bothers with by the way. The reason Lycanthia has little mushrooms is because we poisoned the water supply and dipped when an Ancient Green Dragon flew in and is currently roosting on the Castle there. We were level 8. It was pretty brutal

Is there, like, a map generator out there?

I mean, like, a good one.

Made a shitty map in photoshop for Babby's First Generic Fantasy setting.
Anyone have a recommended font and/or icons to place to represent cities and the such?
I've been looking for a rip of the Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind map icons but no dice so far.

Nothing?

I'm assuming those circles are significant?

Also, isn't the Ascandian Isles something from Morrowind?

donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/

I made that map, does that count?

I like to use this:
davidson16807.github.io/tectonics.js/

To generate some continents for two to four billion years until there's some good shapes to trace. I put it into map projection mode, then pause and take a screenshot of the cool shapes and the elevation map for some quick ideas for where to place the first mountains. After that I just make up the climates and stuff the way I normally would.

Someone likes Morrowind I see.

Shoshkepal always makes me smile, it is just such a satisfying name.

Not really, no. I have never found one that is quite right. Most look just to much like... Gaussian clouds I guess.

I am trying to use it too but I can't do those jagged coast lines, did you free hand those?

If not, teach me senpai

I needed this in my life!

Well they're supposed to be craters from meteor impacts or large explosions, still undecided on that.
Haven't played Morrowind but I guess that's possible. I took it from "Scandinavia" though.

It's quite simple actually, you just need to have some eye and patience. Not much really, painting coastlines with PS is far worse.

First of all, make a sketch of the continent/island/coast with the sculpt tool: start with a size of 60-80, all the way 'round the landmass. Then select 'subtract' and scale down to, like, a size of 20.
Repeat until you reach the desired shape, 5-8 should do. At some point you'll find yourself messing around the coasts, leaving fragments and blobs of terrain in the sea, not too far from the borders. Those you like more, make them islands.

Rivers are pretty easy too: draw them backwards, starting from the outlet. The shape should be similar to a tree, larger when close to the sea, thinning when you move further inside, and then branches start to grow. Every branch should end in a small lake, better if close to the mountains, or straight into a valley.
I usually paint rivers with the subtract tool, size 6-8, then carefully engrave them with the add tool, size 3.

It's pretty much everything you need to know about Inkarnate I guess.

Just play Civ IV and random generate a map and play for like 100 turns to see where the cities will be

Damn try a different font.

Look at the third post ITT, it might give you a hint.

I like this map. The cultures/countries seem a lot like real-world cutouts judging by their names and coats of arms. I'd like to know more about all that.

Mirin' that coast line and them rivers. Will make sure to get back and continue making my country look nicer.

Open Dwarf Fortress.
Create map.
Done.

Good job, looks comfy AF

>The Western tradition of languages has a lot of roots and other little bits which subconsciously convey certain things

Nice britain m8

If the most autistic conlanger ever (Tolkien) designed the sound of his languages that way, you can do it too

>Beautiful languages with plenty of vowels, spoken by the good guys (Elves and the noblest of Humans)
Quenya, Sindarin
>Semitic and Mesopotamian influence for lesser races, rather exotic
Adûnaic, Khuzdul, other Mannish tongues
>Guttural coughing from Hell
Black Speech

>Guttural coughing
I wish this meme would die

Pip pip cheerio

Ẅhat tool do you use?

Look at the top middle my good friend.

good map, terrible colors. jeez.

Made this in paint for fun. It's not much, but I think it's alright.

WIP in progress

>Models precpitation and tectonics

Fug :DDD that's been the biggest chore for me so much that I've kind of just given up. I like my map but I will have to give it a try.

I just took clip-art style cities or whatever I found in google (greek temple clip art, cliparts.co/cliparts/8TE/jny/8TEjny4jc.gif and so on) and shrunk it down.

I keep adding on territories, the latest being those two islands and the big continent as a single continent and one island felt out of place. Granted the only thing we have to go off is earth so there is an innate bias to two continents or more in close proximity.

Also hadn't done the geography and climates of the big islands obviously, just placed them.

How the wee baby first started out.

World I spent 6 hours making with the group in Dawn of World.

Map I spent a weekend creating out of those documents, and which I had printed on A0 (several copies, so the players could write on some of them, I could write on others, and we'd keep a clean copy).

Campaign that lasted 2 sessions, neither of which all the players could be there for, before several of them flaked right out.

This is just a part of the wider world of my setting. If anyone would like to know more let me know. I got some more maps aswell.

North of the previous map. This region is like an oasis in the great plains of the Endless Steppe. The invasion of the dreaded Am Lau into the region have desolated the Yongki Qulnate and brought the Kingdom of Gülai to its knees as he settled his horde in their southern lands leaving the kingdom a rump state. Even the Magnificent Suhwamzeik Soghanate have suffered greatly at the hands of the western barbarians as a great bounty was paid to Am Lau for him to leave their south-western domains.

Can't be bothered to work it out since last time I started up Inkarnate you couldnt trace. Maybe some day. I like the shape though

Gives me sort of a Dragon Quest/Warrior I-III vibe, I'm diggin' it

I'm not sure for what reason you quoted me, but I can say that your map shares some similarities with my own. :)

>"The "

>Faux-Germans on the west, Arab dorfs on the eastblatant stealing from WFB to the south

This is hard.

This is my map of states for a western game set Not!america that I'm planning to run

>Aneger kek

Looks nice user.

At that level of detail I would opt for an in universe map in an abstract style, because you wouldn't lose information and gain immersion.