Jump off a 1000 ft cliff

>Jump off a 1000 ft cliff
>Do an infinite number of free actions
>Never hit the ground

Get on my level

Unfortunately, physics beats philosophy every time.

Assuming you are only allowed one free action per turn, and a turn equals a second

1000ft = +- 333 yards, but terminal velocity on earth for human-shaped objects is between 60-100 yards/second

which means you will be falling between 36 to 46 yards a second, giving you up to 9 turns

Thank you GURPS

Come on now, you know it doesn't work like that.

Pretty sure this is Zeno of Citium. You were thinking of Zeno of Elea.

Physics is applied mathematics
Mathematics is applied philosophy
Philosophy is applied theology
Checkmate atheists

FREE ACTIONS AINT FREE BROTHERRRRRR

Fuck you, the tortoise will have to move at least a planck distance. Infinitesimals don't exist.

>Do infinite number of free actions
>Time stop on a meta-scale

>mathematics is applied philosophy
Stay delusional, liberalartsfags

i guess that's what they call a zeno clash

Mathematical logic is dependant on logic. Philosophy is not the science of logic, though, merely Logic Appreciation.

>jump off a 1000fth cliff
>just before you hit the ground, use your turn to pick up the ground off the floor and put it in your inventory
>never hit the ground

Wasn't there a recton that you could only take up to 3 free actions per round?

Never heard of the Greek math cult of Pythagoras.
ITT: your (you)

Is there a system where the opposite is true, and you can avoid death by falling by arguing that it is impossible for you to fall any distance at all?

I don't actually know, haven't played it, but it sound like something that's possible in Mage: The Ascension

>someone mathematically calculates how fast a fireball is
> a turn is under 3 seconds and the fireball has a max range of 150 feet
>a gaseous ball of bat guano and sulfur at 0 buoyancy hurdles in a direction at 50f/s
>to resist going up or down it needs to repel about 80 kg of atmosphere
>launch fireball at sky and contain it with your shield on the free action
>fail the second throw for fireball save
>die of fragile wizard syndrome

Play a Sidereal Exalted

What if Achilles ran 111.111111111 yards? What then, huh?

>mathematics is applied philosophy
[citation needed]

>create a paradox to show the absurdity of infinitesimals in real-life physics, and to prove that infinitesimals are just mathematical abstraction
>millennia later people misunderstand you and use your paradox to shitpost about absurdity of philosophy, even though you were right and Planck's natural units are a thing in real life
Being Zeno is suffering.

How does Zeno's paradox work, and how does it relate to shitposting and Plank's natural units?

Basically, if you halve the distance between two somethings over and over, you'll never reach it. He supposedly meant this to mean that the paradox made no sense and that it isn't valid as you could reach things, however people constantly refer to it without that lower meaning as a method of going "woooaaaow so deep haha". Planck lengths are supposedly the shortest unit of measurement which, if correct, shows that eventually the Zeno paradox would end with the object encountering a length which it cannot cross and it's therefore even more ridiculous.
Source: my ass and college physics

Also, if I fucked anything up please correct me because I'm not actually sure if that's the implication from Planck's length

I gave my players a Zeno Arrow once. They thought it was a super powerful arrow (Guess they never heard of him before) and saved it until the final boss.

Final boss in that we're still waiting for the arrow to hit. No one found that shit funny......

The gist of Zeno's Achilles and the Tortoise paradox is that you can't finish a task that consists out of an infinite amount of steps, because to perform the last step, you need to perform the infinity steps before that, and to finish the step before that you need to perform infinity steps too, and ad infinitum.
Steps are a discrete value.
Zeno argued against the possibility of discrete values being infinitely small, and that there must be a limit on the size of a discrete unit that is possible to interact with.
Planck's natural units are exactly just that - discrete units that you can't go lower than.

The more interesting paradox is the Zeno's arrow paradox, because it argues against the concept of a "point" in time, and again, that there must be a limit on the minimal observable and interactable unit of time, and motion must occur in those non-infinitisemal segments of time.

t. STEM student

One zeno turning into another must be a zenomorph.

>just before you hit the ground
not
>ready an action to pick up the ground once it's in range
Good luck with winning initiative against the ground, or that Dex roll to pick something up while traveling at your terminal velocity.

The fireball is evoked with its epicenter where you target the spell when cast. You don't fucking throw it, which is why it doesn't do lesser burning damage in a cylinder between you and your target.

If you want to calculate the top controlled speed of a Fireball, you need to work with the re-positioning mechanics related to moving a Fireball with Concentration.

Does anyone in Veeky Forums actually play the games they talk about? Or are you really just a bunch of mainstream normie wannabes who like ironically making fun of the subculture?

>As soon as the party enters the throne room, the BBEG moves to activate his doomsday device
>The BBEG has a hundred meter start, but due to Zeno's paradox they'll never catch up with him in time
>The Doomsday device is activated and will destroy the world if a cat inside a closed box is poisoned, but as long as the contents of the box are invisible the cat fluctuates in a state between life and death
>The box also magically breaks itself down and rebuilds itself at a speed faster than light, so is it ever the same box? Is it ever the same doomsday device?
>On top of that the doomsday device is not something that does not exist and will never exist nor something that exists and will keep existing: it's something that has not existed once, then existed and will some day not exist: therefore it does not exist
>There's literally no way for the good guys to win
>Though there's no real way for them to lose either
>Untill all of the above paradoxes are solved, the BBEG and heroes alike fluctuate in a state between victory and defeat, only after all paradoxes are solved will they collapse into one or the other
>Purely theoretically it's possible for both sides to win
>And all of that is assuming they can find the BBEG's throneroom in the first place
>The BBEG's hide-out is in Hilbert's hotel, a building with an infinite number of rooms
>After they've looked through an infinite number of rooms in search for the BBEG, they will find there's still another infinite number of rooms waiting for them

>Does anyone in Veeky Forums actually play the games they talk about?
No, of course not? what sort of normalfag actually goes out and interacts with people to form gaming groups?
We all sit here and shitpost based on how we hear the system is played from other people.

Reminds me of this

How do you know there isn't something smaller than a planck length?
It's very likely there is something smaller than a planck length.

You THINK there is something smaller than a plank length, but in reality any length smaller than that would me impossible to measure. Until we DNA measure it in some quantifiable way, it does not exist. Just like how scientists thought space was full of Æther in the eighteenth or nineteenth century until they realized they couldn't measure Æther.

my gm did this to us
it was the most confusing shit ever
his map looked like this

I'm no expert but the planck length is the smallest MEASURABLE distance and at any distance smaller the changes in space-time cease to matter
you can certainly imagine a shorter distance in the same way you can imagine something traveling faster than light or imagining -1 Kelvin
probably wrong but that's my understanfing of it

reminds me of this

Why not just block the ground?

>not have a +100 modifier to tumble

>>a gaseous ball of bat guano and sulfur at 0 buoyancy hurdles in a direction at 50f/s
This was the part that made me laught for some reason.

Glorious faggots
I want it

>it's something that has not existed once, then existed and will some day not exist: therefore it does not exist
This seems silly to me, because if it exists now it must exist. The idea that it does not exist now does not follow from the fact that it originally did not exist.
Not following the logic here desu. Am I just dumb or did you misphrase something?

>Do an infinite number of free actions

Name a system which allows an infinite number of free actions in a turn.

Because, of the systems I can think of that don't limit how many free actions you can take, there are still things preventing infinite free actions. Some free actions can only be taken once a round. Others are conditional and activating them and you won't meet that condition after taking it the first time (eg, a free action to drop an item only works if you're carrying an item).

So you'll have to name specific free actions that can be taken indefinitely.

>science of logic
Have you ever seen a logic?

>level up
>put points into a knowledge skill
>you now remember information that was in your head the entire time

>So you'll have to name specific free actions that can be taken indefinitely.

Taking a breath?
Blinking?
Thinking a thought?

Which systems explicitly forbid you from doing these things more than once?

What systems make those mechanical actions?

Which systems define breathing as a free action?

Free action isn't a catch-all; there are things that aren't ANY kind of action, like a 3.5e Barbarian entering a Rage (look it up, there's no action type, it's just something you can do).

I don't remember how it went entirely, but I think it was THE big philosophical problem of the pre-Socratic thinkers. There was this philosopher whose name I had forgotten who divided all things into two categories: that what exists and that what does not exist. That what exists cannot not exist, and that what does not exist cannot exist. Because humans were finite in their existes they exist, but at some point they do not exist. Therefore they are a logical paradox and cannot exist... or something like that.

I think Socrates and Plato solved this with the concept of an eternal soul, which eventually slipped into Christianity (Jews actually believed and believe in a bodily ressurection on the day of judgement, as do Christian materialists who deny the existence of a soul).

Maybe someone more familliar with pre-Socratic philosophy can clarify where I dropped the ball.

>There was this philosopher whose name I had forgotten

Parmenides is his name.

D&D, all editions. For the last one at least.

If I had to guess, FATAL

I don't really get how humans being mortal would make that a paradox? Just because you stop living means you do not cease to exist.

Separation of mind and body wasn't a thing back then.

When did separation of mind and body emerge in philosophy?

Where?

"I think, therefore, I am" was the original precursor to it, probably.

Décartes tackled it directly but its been explored since ancient greece

No, we're not fucking nerds.

Here's a fun thought on that:

If you break this concept down to a cube you'll find that a two dimensional being is only ever walking along the outer surface of the higher dimensional shape. They never enter or even become aware of whatever is inside the cube.

Extrapolate this concept up into higher dimensions and you find that three dimensional beings traveling through the rooms of a hyper-cube are not actually inside it, but moving along its surface. Anything inside the tesseract is still unreachable to them.

Blow the bomb, fuck chinks.

But the point of the chinese room is that he isn't a chink.

It's largely irrelevant, even if something smaller than (minimal unit of measurement) existed, it still wouldn't create infinitesimals.

Too late, I made the call.

I play by my own rules man.

Thanks!

Around Socrates or Plato, I think. I think Plato's mind-body dualism arose mostly to solve that problem, with the mind being eternal and the body perishable.

So you stand by your decision. I respect that.