Can we get a fantasy Veeky Forums and rec thread going?

Can we get a fantasy Veeky Forums and rec thread going?

Was curious if anyone has read Sam Sykes' books and if they're any good. He gets compared to Joe Abercrombie a lot, who I personally enjoy, but I'd like to get some opinions before purchasing.

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1303751h.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love the Powdermage Trilogy and the novellas.

Gentlemen Bastards has been wildly entertaining as well, and I'm only anout halfway through book 2.

There's always the Dresden Files for modern fantasy fun times too. Jim Butcher also wrote some new book about sky pirates or somesuch. Looks interesting.

>I love the Powdermage Trilogy and the novellas.
Tried reading the first one and just straight up couldn't get into it.

>There's always the Dresden Files for modern fantasy fun times too
Stopped reading them after I think it's called Winter Knight? Whichever one has Molly Carpenter fighting. I dunno, just lost interest.

>Gentlemen Bastards has been wildly entertaining as well, and I'm only anout halfway through book 2.
The first one is great. The rest are okay.

I'm looking to read a good, sort of generic fantasy series. Read A Song of Ice and Fire so far, and read most of the good DragonLance books.
Also has anyone here read The Silmarillion? I thought The Hobbit was okay, but not sure if I should start this one.

>I'm looking to read a good, sort of generic fantasy series.
Dagger and Coin by Daniel Abraham might be for you.

Just read A Darker Shade of Magic, which was very good.

Haven't read Sam Sykes, but you've put it on my list.

If you don't mind gay sex and characters who learn everything, ever, in like a month, Luck in the shadows is pretty good.

If you like The Malazan Book of the Fallen, The Black Company is great. If you like Joe Abercrombie, but haven't read either of those, they're worth a look. They're less personal than Abercrombie, but they exist in similar amoral universes.

If you like vampire shit, there's a series called Anno Dracula, which are set in an alternate dracula timeline in which drac succeeds in infiltrating london like he planned, they're very good.

...I've got too many books.

FUCK

Didn't mention Robin Hobb. She's very good, and probably the most consistently good author across something like 15 books. She's easily the best of the "Social Outcast learns to be BEST ASSASSIN" books out there. If assassination isn't you're thing, read her liveship traders series.

She's probably the most 'classic' fantasy option, without going into the mediocre stuff.

>...I've got too many books.
No such thing.

Looking for a recommendation guys... I want a tale of a badass warrior's adventure. Just going around kicking ass and being awesome. I don't care much about the depth of lore or moral complexity.

Oh and I have a huge thing for old fashioned heroics. The knightly hero sacrificing himself to save the civilians... That makes me feel.

David Gemmel is for you.

If you don't mind historical fiction, Bernard Cornwell would be good for the itch too.

Might like the Riyria series. Elves, goblins, even the odd dwarf.

Book of the New Sun is perfect for you. Not heavy on the prose, not a lot of worldbuilding or lore to get stuck on, just one masked man with a big sword against the world. It's really simple, but not in a bad way.

Anything like this in a Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance universe? I want to read about some Bugbears and Beholders getting their shit smacked.

From what I know pretty much any of the actual Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance novels fit the bill

Read the Forgotten Realms novels if you're looking for the same generic DnD type setting as Dragonlance

Try reading the Conan the Barbarian short stories

They're all free online right here

gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1303751h.html

Anyone got some good 'ole non-grimdark sword and sorcery?

Just got done reading the Night Angel series(don't recommend unless you have a rape and/or prostitution fetish) series and want something to cleanse the tongue.

Is this series actually good? I've heard it's riddled with typos and it's an Abercrombie clone.

I'll check it out

Where would you suggest I begin? There's a whole lot of books out there, is there a standout in your opinion?

Well trolled my friend.

I love BoTNS, and it is both heavy in prose, lore and hidden meaning. It is a great series, just not something that reads like your average fantasy books.

You're being rused.

Roger Zelazny: The Amber Books, Creatures of Light and Darkness, Lord of Light. 1970's new wave sci-fi author's fantasy books. Smart, fast, poetic, and fun.

Sergei Lukyanenko's "Night Watch" books. Modern fantasy from a post-Soviet Russian perspective.

China Mieville: Perdio Street Station, The Scar, and, The Iron Council. Reminiscent of David Foster Wallace if he were an angry Marxist writing in a fantasy industrial age. Your mileage may vary. Kraken is a modern fantasy version.

Ursula K. LeGuin: Taoist inspired fantasy.

>Powdermage Trilogy
Muh nigga.

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on the Realm of the Elderlings books from Robin Hobb ?

Several series Ive been through recently.

The Unhewn Throne Trilogy
Stormlight Archive
Riftwar Saga
The Codex Alera
Mistborn is meh story but the magic system is pretty neat
The Black magician Trilogy was shitty but I liked the city in which it was done.

I'm about to finish the first book of the Riyria Chronicles, I've got like two chapters into Unhewn Throne, is it good? I'm deciding on either starting it or The Shadow Campaigns

>Where would you suggest I begin?
Any of the Druss books. Most Gemmel is fairly self-contained.

Lies of Locke Lamora is pretty good. I remember Scott Lynch being in one of these Veeky Forumslit/ threads a few years ago too.

I'd recommend The Wardstone Chronicles (I think they have a different name in America). Basically the main character is a 13 year old farm boy who's trying to learn how to be a Spook (essentially someone who deals with monsters) without getting eaten/murdered/sacrificed/possessed/etc. Over the course of the series he becomes more competent but there's always enough of a power gap between him and his enemies that it basically becomes a horror story in places. It's written for a younger audience but I still found it enjoyable as have other adults I know.

Seventh Son right?

The movie was lossely based on the books, I mean they took character names and some terms but nothing else, to give you an idea, the main villain's name is from the bad guy of one book, their backstory is from the villain of another book, and the plot is completely new for the movie. I could go into all the changes made but that would turn into a rant rather quickly.

The Shadow Campaigns is great, except maybe having way to many female characters.

The Silmarillion is great, but at times really dry. It reads like a collection of myths and sagas, this is what Tolkien was going for. It can mean that some chapters are a bit boring, when you read page after page how the Eldar got to this land and called it this, then they split up and this guy became their king, but the other went to this land ...
But if you are interested in middle-earth, its history and great world-building it's fantastic. It also should be a mandatory read for anyone interested in fantasy and wanting to discuss it on Veeky Forums.

I recommend L. E. Modesitt Jr, C. J. Cherryh and Michael Swanwick for three authors who write consistently good fantasy and sci-if.

And the first 5 books of the Anita Blake series for decently fun schlock horror with guns and vampires.

And the rest of her books for graphic supernatural eroticism.

The Farseer Trilogy is tedious garbage and I regret ever reading it.

I read them too and found them a slog, even though I went through WoT books really easily. I find it weird how highly regarded Hobb is, especially when I read the first two Soldier Son books and gave up. I suspect it has something to do with furry fetishists.

>This highly regarded fantasy author is in my opinion shit, it must be the furries fault.

You guys don't deserve a fantasy lit thread, just duct tape a forgotten realms novel to your face and be set for life.

I have read L. E. Modesitt's first Recluse book and I found it ok, but I got Star Wars vibes from it. So the question is if it gets retarded like that later.

>Trilogy
Aren't there like 5 now?

Dude, the protagonist is like "On all levels except physical, I am a wolf". And highly regarded doesn't mean much.

5 trilogies?

Don't even joke about that. I meant 5 books.

The Realm of the Elderlings
The Farseer Trilogy

Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
Royal Assassin (1996)
Assassin's Quest (1997)

Liveship Traders Trilogy

Ship of Magic (1998)
The Mad Ship (1999)
Ship of Destiny (2000)

The Tawny Man Trilogy

Fool's Errand (2001)
The Golden Fool (2002)
Fool's Fate (2003)

The Rain Wild Chronicles

Dragon Keeper (2009)
Dragon Haven (2010)
City of Dragons (2011)
Blood of Dragons (2013)

The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy

Fool's Assassin (2014)[1]
Fool's Quest (2015)[2][3][4]
Assassin's Fate (working title, forthcoming, 2017)

Also known as The Last Apprentice, but I have to admit I think from the 5th or 4th book (can't remember) it becomes a bit boring.

Agreed, the best books are the early ones where it's more episodic with a new threat in each book, once it start getting into the overarching plot of the war with the Fiend it stops being as interesting.

This is a pretty good low-magic fantasy series.

Well you don't see him howling at the moon or something. It's basically "Druid magic" with animal companion.

abarat is an extremely trippy series, with wonderful illustration.

The writer is Barker, and he illustrated the books himself

I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages.

Three of Sixteen ruled but now the Broken One reigns.

Do At the Earth's Core and Pellucidar count or are those just straight up adventure?

Hobb is fantastic. Slow burn, but her characterization is spot-on to the point of being difficult to read at points.

Kind of like Dresden Files then.

I enjoyed those books.

I highly recommend all 6 books of the Witches of Eileanan series and the 3 book sequel series Rhiannon's Ride. They are great high fantasy novels about a celtic inspired world where magic has been forbidden and faeries are being hunted to extinction, lots of political intrigue but also a hefty amount of high-flying adventure stuff. It can be really cliche, but its written so well that I don't even mind.

Anyone here read it?

His books are very good, perfect example of an all Chaotic Neutral Party. Im loiking forward to The city stained red.

I want to read something grimdark that features a lot of undead.

Possibly undead used in an intelligent/munchkin faschion
Possibly some vampires.
Possibly set in a time period with no cell phones.

I was going to recommend things but yeah. This dude. He gets it.

I guess I'll just double up on all his, as they're diamonds.

Other things that I'd mention would have to be

Glen Cook's Black Company series: fantasy war fiction with slightly morally ambiguous protagonists that ends up being shockingly not edgy.

Steve Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen: Fair warning, if you felt that A Song of Ice and Fire had far too many character perspectives, you're in for a bit of a struggle here. But, overall, this series chronicles the rise and fall of several empires, with a really great cast of characters and superb mythology. Only real drawback is that the author kinda doesn't explain things that well at the start, throwing you straight in.

David and Leigh Eddings' The Redemption of Athalus: Just a single novel, but it's fantastic. Seriously, it's insanely good.

book of the new sun is literally the opposite of everything he said it was. it's supposed utterly fantastic but heavy as lead-coated tungsten on the surface on a neutron star.

>perfect example of an all Chaotic Neutral Party.
You meant this as a good thing, but that sounds awful.

Fritz Leiber, John Bellairs, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E Howard, Michael John Harrison, Eric Rücker Eddison, Lord Dunsany, Jack Vance, H. Rider Haggard, AE Van Vogt, James Branch Cabell, Poul Andersson, Abraham Merritt, Leigh Brackett, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Lin Carter, P.J. Farmer, Fletcher Pratt, L. Sprague De Camp and William Hope Hodgson.