How would you create a lawful good god of death and a chaotic evil god of life?

How would you create a lawful good god of death and a chaotic evil god of life?

Other urls found in this thread:

galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Easy. Take into consideration all of the fucked up parts of nature. This is how the God of Life intended for it to be (For added effect, you could have him be responsible for undeath too - dragging the dead back into life). Originally, there was no death - he wanted everything to suffer in his garden of creation.
Then rolled around the God of Death. Seeing all that was wrong with the world, he established an order that would inevitably free every single individual from their torture: mortality. He also separated their bodies and souls, so that the soul might live on in a different, better place; an afterlife.

Cancerous growth versus a well deserved rest

Look at Buddhism or Hinduism for a Lawful Good death deity.

Look at pagan European deities crossed with Nurgle and a vampire for evil life Gods.

Emps is Lawful good death go, and Nurgle is chaotic evil life god

God, not go.

Fuck phone posting

LG God of Death
>Death is a necessary part of existence. The cycle must continue, or life cannot be. Everyone dies eventually, no matter what. Death does not discriminate.

Nurgle is more neutral than chaotic as far as evil goes.

I wouldn't, because at that point your entire setting is so contrarian to traditional beliefs it's entirely alien and unrelatable in any way to the players.

CE God of Life
>haha fuck you, you're going to live because your suffering entertains me.

Just count lives by number and not quality.
Flies are more numerous, so they should be more for having more life.

"Anything and everything has its time to die."

"The ultimate goal of all life is to continue living. Do all you can to live, no matter the cost, for even the most wretched existence is far more than the grave"

I like these ideas a lot.

lawful good death, reminds of Saoirse Roran's character in Byzantium. Basically a vampire who finds people ready to die and gives them a comforting release. Full of mercy.

Chaotic Evil god of life is actually pretty simple. You open yourself up to many directions, I would suggest to you that life on our planet is rather chaotic all ready, without the good vs evil morality though. All lifeforms on this planet are feeding off of each other, in competition for those sweet sweet Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, and Hydrogen molecules. All you would have to do it slant this towards whatever you view to be nefarious, perhaps obscene competition towards these resources and animals hording them similar to how a dragon might horde gold. You could possibly do something interesting regarding leaf cutter ants, destroying plants, to then cut them up to feed a fungus, which then feeds them. But you know darker, a cult of people killing the neighboring village, to feed their parts to some kind of Audrey 2 from little shop of horrors that provides them with the exceptionally delicious or intoxicating fruits.

Demeter.

You must play with some imaginationless assholes

This

LG 'death' god is the god of resolutions generally, and fitting ends to things. Mundane acts of worship include tactfully ending a short story, providing mercy to the incurable and basically knowing when to stop.

CE 'life' god is death drive incarnate, aimlessly powering on forever and ever, a cancerous explosion of agonised, exhausted flesh and sinew that keeps growing and growing, going and going.
It draws power from the terror of loss and the inability to accept, whether that be death or reality - futile animal struggle amuses it, as does the 'rat race' of individual competition over scraps of resources, esteem, honours.

Clerics of the latter are generally thousands of years old and completely insane, totally crushed and reformed under the greatest weight of immortality.

>lazy inversion of tropes, anyone could come up with
>omg entirely alien and unrelatable

>chaotic evil god of life?
A god of survival of the fittest and social Darwinism turned up to 12

consider that cancer is uninhibited growth.

CE life god is the god of cancer, tumors, and general mutation

At the risk of repeating what others have said, i will try to break it down:
>lawful good god of death
>Lawful
There is, or must be, a natural order of life and death - everything has an end and that is the way it should be. Undeath is the biggest crime against the natural order, and needs to be eradicated with extreme prejudice.
>good
Life is suffering, chaos and pain; death is a mercy. Extending a life beyond it's natural length is a cruelty. Medicine either goes against the will of the god, or it is a tool to test wether a life is at it's natural end. That may even be a point of conflict between the followers of the god.
Undeath is the biggest cruelty a soul could suffer, as it delays the journey to the afterlife and prolongs the suffering wow, that sounded edgy as fuck
Since the god is good i guess that ending a life before it's time might also be a crime - and given that thought your god of death might also have a hand in destiny and law.

Followers of the god may include: paladins who crusade against offenders against the natural order - those who prolong their life beyond it's time and those who create undeath, but (if you go for the destiny/law angle) also those who end a life too early.
Priests who observe the last rites, care for the graves and guide the common folk by the teachings of the god. They commune with the dead and give solace to the families of the dead and dying. They could also function as judge and jury during murder trials.
And then, of course, there are the common folk who die or grief for their dead.

>You're all evil for being alive because the God of life is evil. You're all affected by smite evil regardless of alignment.
I'd rather not

Don't play with a shitty GM
Don't be a shitty GM

you're welcome, user

Hades and Nurgle

>Chaotic Evil God of Life

Shuma-Gorath, mother fuckers.

>chaotic evil god of life

Cancer.

LG Death: well, paladins are LG. And they love to kill (bad) guys, especially if they're undead. I think we have a solution here: the god that divides natural death from bad undeath.
If not: maybe he's the god that guards the passages of souls between reincarnations. He tries his best to let mortals be better, to let them die when they're ready, after a fulfilling life.

CE: this is more difficult, but I dunno, something akin to Shub-Niggurath? The unchecked power of nature (and lust) and chaos against civilization?
Maybe there are two kinds of "nature", something like Nausicaa. The human one and the "alien" one.

In opposition, and maybe even a yin-yang kinda relationship to that there is your chaotic evil god of life:
>chaotic
The only rule is there are no rules. Your life against the life of the others. Life is chaos and turbulence without any rules, as they are the invention of man - and the laws of god or rather the lack thereof supercedes the laws of man. Your main goal is to stay alive, keep on living and keep on figting for your survival. Whatever the cost.
>evil
Your life above the others, as there is no intrinsic value to an individual life, but the continuation of life in general. Life is boundless and limitless, so why should there be bounds or limits for you? Kill, or be killed. Grow yourself, at the cost of others as life needs to feed for growth.

Followers may include:
Those who seek to prolong their life, and those who seek power - without regards for the cost.
Killers, murderers and madmen who take pleasure in taking lives.
Those who live in the wilds, away from civilisation and know what it takes to stay alive, what needs to be done to continue living.

>Lawful
All things must die. That's an inviolable rule of the universe; even if your setting has ageless beings, sooner or later someone or something will kick their shit in.
>Good
It's pretty easy to argue that for most people in a medieval fantasy setting, life is pretty bleak; work from when you can walk until you die in poverty. Providing a heaven after that seems like a 'good' thing to do.

>Chaotic
Life by it's nature is wild, uncontrollable, and manic. A chaotic god of life would favour random mutation, sudden creation of new beings, cancers that split from their host and slither off to fuck shit up somewhere.
>Evil
Following on from the idea that life is kind of sucky, it's easy to argue that forcing beings to live before they can die is evil. An evil god of life just enjoys, revels in and causes life to hurt more.

I think I'm starting to sound like a Dustman...

A shitty GM would have a God of life be chaotic evil because they're still in their goth phase of "Life is suffering".

>chaotic evil deity of life
Iä! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

I'd rather not. The whole premise screams "My setting is special! Believe me, it is!" to me.

>My vampire paladin DMPC is also lawful good and his smite evil works on any living thing.
>If you think this is bad then you're a sheltered kid.

that just means they are a shitty person, not a shitty gm

The idea is shitty and any GM that throws it at their players is shitty.

Life god is only interested in the creation of life and so endeavours to create circumstances that cause rapid breeding, lots of war and strife and shit.

Older souls are much more valuable than younger soul, so death god promotes peace and prosperity to extend lifespans and get a better gain from those who do die

Dear Life God,
Muh gains!
Sincerely, Death God

something like that yeah

man, life god is being fucking PLAYED by death god.

>Nuh bro, seriously, you wanna get JACKED? Just KILL everyone, so you can make MORE!

Death God then proceeds to collect all them delicious souls
yeah i know, older souls worth more than younger souls, but if Life God keeps pumping out life, then killing it, Death God is just fucking drowning in young souls

"death is good because life is suffering"
Can we please distance ourselves from this? Imagine death like Terry Pratchett's death: lawful neutral, if not good. He does his job and he does it well. And if you have a conversation with him, you'd have to agree that this is far from the worst entity here to take you to the other side. Or, imagine death a bit like in American Horror Story: neutral good, if not lawful. She's a rather kindly old woman, and you're feeling tired and weary and burdened and she's *there* for you. She asks if you're ready, but if you're not, that's okay. It's just not your time.

With a lawful good god of death, I think it's important to not start with the concept that "life is suffering, only death with take it all away," that's painfully edgy. Imagine the life-death CYCLE as wholesome and good, not just death being a superior status to being alive. Imagine a grandfatherly or grandmotherly figure, there to give you advice, to support you through the rough times and the good times, and there to hold your hand when your time comes.

On the other hand, I really enjoy these depictions of of a chaotic evil god of life being cancerous and completely disregarding quality of life for nothing but quantity.

Sauce on this gif?

Yeah, pretty much. A CE deity of life would represent the primal and chaotic aspects of life. Evil primarily in the sense that it actively opposes order and civilization, and that it doesn't give a fuck about your suffering as long as life itself thrives. Expect a lot of civilization vs nature theme, as well as body horror (cancer, uncontrolled mutation, twisting life into new and horrific forms etc.). In other words, standard Shub-Niggurath cult fuckery.

Pretty much my kind of thing really.
Ever Their praises, and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

Maybe in the setting living is shit. A chaotic evil god of life will create anything he finds amusing, be it monsters or diseases, and is possible that he will raise the corpses of the dead so they are "alive again". Meanwhile this other god sees this and wants to fix the mess.

> Can we please distance ourselves from this?
As i said: that idea was edgy as fuck...i really like the idea of "Mother death", embracing you as you sleep away to the eternal dream, and
>lawful
As any good mother does she will scold/punish her children that misbehave

OK THANKS NOW NEED IDEAS FOR DRY WATER AND HOT ICE PLZZZ

There are some who have no voices
Or none that will ever speak
Because of the things they know about this world
And the things they feel about this world
Because the thoughts that fill a brain
That is a damaged brain
Because the pain that fills a body
That is a damaged body
Exists in other worlds
Countless other worlds
Each of which stands alone in an infinite empty blackness
For which no words are being conceived
And where no voices are able to speak
When a brain is filled only with damaged thoughts
When a damaged body is filled only with pain
And stands alone in a world surrounded by infinite empty blackness
And exists in a world for which there is no special plan

Lawful Good Death God would be a god of natural order, because from destruction comes new creation, and is a necessary to the continuation of all things. Death isn't an end, it is a new beginning, this god ushers in that new beginning. I imagine this god's powers are very far reaching, but highly restrained due to the strict law it must enforce and follow lest the cycle of renewal become unbalanced. But at the same time, should something go awry, it has the power to fix basically anything from trapped souls to bringing back the dead. The passageway of death is its domain of absolute control.

A Chaotic Evil God of Life would be mindless, rampant life, endless life, the great devourer. Imposed absolute immortality on every living thing, unable to die, eternal stagnation, but they consume any and all resources as a mere byproduct of existence because whereas they will live forever, it doesn't mean they won't suffer, so they need to eat to not face eternal starvation. This god's healing spells would supercharges of mind and body shattering invigoration, a flux of energy far, far beyond anything the subject could take, happening constantly, forever. I imagine, eventually should the god go unchecked or unchallenged, all life would be a festering singularity, consuming itself over and over for all time, alone on a horrendous barren planet.

>Chaotic Evil Life
Mindless reproduction for its own sake. The propagation of your genes/bloodline is all that matters. Morality and personal happiness be damned.

You can do this idea with reincarnation vs afterlife as well. The evil life deity is the neverending cycle of suffering, and the good death deity is the Buddah, offering release from the cycle and eternal bliss and enlightenment outside of the "natural order."

Mother Nature doesn't care about you she's a callous bitch, but Death cares for everyone and when your life end he's waiting to take your soul to it's proper place.

>Imagine death like Terry Pratchett's death: lawful neutral
Why would I do that when the thread is to imagine LG Death?

Cancerverse is not shuma

The emporer

Nurgle.

/thread

The woodsie lord from thief and Grenth from guild wars.

Grenth is the god of ice, death and darkness and as the judge of the dead he is attributed to finding out the truth of things, casting off illusions and encourages the perception of the world as it actually is. He also promotes casting down false gods and not being afraid of things claiming to be divine.

The woodsie lord/Trickster wants to stop all technological progress, tear down all stone and metal and return the world to what he views as a more pure form. He wants to do this by killing everyone who opposes him and invading the real world.

>CE God of Life
The Eye on the White Throne: An emperor ruling over an empire of uncountable souls. The God of Life is uncaring, cold and distant, he does not view any single life with importance, only the mass matters, and the more souls, the greater his empire. He seeks an empire of living beings large enough for some goal, no one knows, perhaps not even the god himself, perhaps the goal is just to have as many lives as possible. Regardless of the goal, it drives the emperor to fill the world with life, life enduring, life unending, life unnatural, it does not matter. Because of this decree, those mortals beneath his gaze live in a world brimming to boiling over with living things, towns and cities cannot grow large enough to house the booming birth rates, food and water alone are difficult to come by even in the largest and grandest kingdoms, despite the forests, skies and oceans teeming with life, it is a chaotic feeding frenzy almost nonstop, making it difficult to reap from the land as the food chain has broken countless times. City guards struggle not only to turn back to tide of wild beasts in huge numbers, but the plant life itself, in a single night the forest explodes with growth, saplings before were dizzyingly high oaks the next, and the plants, just like the beasts, seek to swallow as much as they can to follow the emperors heavenly decree. A world flooded, all things constantly fighting to keep above the rushing tide of life, all to please the ever watching, ever uncaring emperor on his throne.

>LG God of Death
It That Travels: A nomad, a vagabond, bound in rags that seem tangled endlessly, dragging in all directions, it is impossible to tell who or what is beneath it all. The vagabond is the one thing in the world that is unaffected by the endless tide of life, for it is the only thing in this world capable of opposing the emperors heavenly decree of life unbound. The vagabond does not take, he gives, he gives relief from the endless flood, a life raft, so to speak. In lands where nature has swollen to the bursting point, the vagabond will be found, offering a chance to relive the pressure. Where the emperor tyrannically forces life to explode to the breaking point, the vagabond grants the gifts of death, whether it be weapons, garments, artifacts, or power itself, they are gifts for the mortals he chooses to stem the tide. Despite the good It That Travels provides to this world, the world sees him as a monster, taking away their lives, despite the issues the whole world are suffering, thus the vagabond must suffer the moniker of villain while struggling to be the worlds savior, it's ally, it's friend. Still it travels, it wanders, pushing back the uncontrollable swell of life, in hopes that one day the emperor will be torn down from his throne, and life and death can exist in true balance.

Makes me think exactly of Anubis in this episode of "Gargoyles"

If we have free reign here and it's not just something to be inserted into a standard setting, I'd have a God of Life that treats the world as a toy. His main claim to fame is creating monstrosities for fun and letting them loose, with humans existing mostly for the purpose of feeding them and giving them prey.

The God of Death is simutaneously the only thing that allows humans to avoid this eternal suffering by ending them, and it's by his will that the creatures with no consistent biology or reason to them can die at all. He finds distaste in the God of Life's games, but his own code prevents him from doing anything about it himself.

That's what I did for my setting. The Goddess of Death and God of Life work to continue the cycle of growth, decline, and rebirth. But the Life God is petty and hates to see his sister reap what he creates, so he shared the secrets of life to a few mortals at the dawn of time, who now work for his goals as immortal Lich Priests, ancient mummified, cancer-ridden creatures that travel and spread the teachings of life magic. The latest major influence they've had is teaching it to a few Goblin rebels looking for freedom from their Elven masters.

Death Gods are often seen as lawful good deities historically though
Spooky shit that people hate on like the Grim Reaper aren't and never were Gods.

You're entirely missing the point, either intentionally to shitpost, or because you are the aforementioned imaginationless asshole.
The Life God isn't Evil because life is bad and we should all die, it's Evil because it's an embodiment of the extreme qualities of life, as well as removal of the good parts of death. Overabundance of life, overindulgence, refusal to move on in accordance with the natural laws and cycles, and living life solely for the purpose of living life. Going to depraved and inhumane lengths to ensure your own survival at the cost of others, etc.
Meanwhile the Death God is simply the acknowledgement that all things must come to an end, and an appreciation of the natural cycle. It's not grim and edgy unless you make it grim and edgy. A society built around the Death God could even be happier. When a friend or family member dies, they haven't been stolen from you too soon, or cruely taken away, they've just simply moved on. People in this society of Death wouldn't be rushing to or embracing death, they would just accept it as it comes and recognize the positives.

>chaotic evil god of life?

"Adactylidium is a genus of mites known for its unusual life cycle. The pregnant female mite feeds upon a single egg of a thrips, growing five to eight female offspring and one male in her body. The offspring devour their mother from the inside out, and the single male mite mates with all the daughters when they are still in the mother. The females, now impregnated, cut holes in their mother's body so that they can emerge to find new thrips eggs. The male emerges as well, but does not look for food or new mates, and dies after a few hours. The females die at the age of 4 days, when their own offspring eat them alive from the inside."

Our realities god of life sets a pretty great example already.
She's fucking demented.

>alignments
well first i kill myself

>lawful good god of death
In death, solace and rest. At least when you're dead, you don't have to worry about stupid shit like disease or having to take a shit. Like the concept of heaven, being dead isn't necessarily so bad.

>chaotic evil god of life
Nature is pretty fucking brutal, natural selection and all that. A god that promotes this as the ultimate state of being is a sick fuck.

Brutal. Still, I don't think insects have the same idea of pain as we do.

He's mentioned by name among the "many angled ones" that corrupted the universe that became the cancerverse.

My two different takes on the concept

>Chaotic evil god of life
Don't just make her a god of life but also a god of storms, fires, floods, pestilence and the bloody thrill of the hunt.
A young, capricious child of a god without the slightest empathy or care for anyone else. One one hand she's a happy go lucky scamp filled with optimism and joy; on the other, she acts out every whim with no care for the consequences as long as it brings her entertainment.That's enough to make her look plenty evil the mischievous pranks include raining aerosolized ebolAIDS on major cities or sculpting a winged tarrasque to see how people react - giggling as people run and scream. Empire's have been wiped from the face of the with millions left charred in volcanic fire just because she wanted a fresh canvas for her newest race.
If you need more then add the fact she feels as much visceral pleasure when a wolf's jaws close around a lamb's leg as she does from watching that lamb's firt steps. And heaven help the world if she throws a tantrum.

>The lawful good god of death
He is the benevolent farmer tending his crop or his flock. He nurtures them in the early days, keeping them alive through the harsh frosts of winter and holding back the locusts of the 9 hells. When we age, and our time on this plane at an end he swings his scythe to make space for the next year's planting. Without his careful husbandry, one race or another would inevitably reproduce to plague proportions, pushing out all others. Without his loving cull the world would soon be overrun, all food would be consumed and the grim spectre of famine would spread from horizon to horizon. Every living being would fall into cannibalism and the be left a gaunt shadow of it's former self, suffering the horror of starvation for eternity with no hope of release.

I know they're not polished ideas but I reckon there's something cool in there.

Mtg Theros's Heliod and Erebos

>That's enough to make her look plenty evil the mischievous pranks include raining aerosolized ebolAIDS on major cities or sculpting a winged tarrasque to see how people react - giggling as people run and scream.

The average simcity player with divine powers? Yeah, that's definitely terrifying.

>God of Life
I would picture and excited artist, enjoying creation of her dreams and ideals and emotions, but with little regard for the consequences, little empathy for the world beyond whatever has her interest at the moment. Fickle, energetic and motivated.

>God of Death
A half exasperated, half amused tired god who has to constantly corral the god of life. Patient and understanding, he tries to guide her to tie up her wild ends. Enjoys her antics to a point, but carries a weight of responsibility and empathy. Does his best to settle things using her own creations and downplaying his involvement, as he feels it is her show, but his imposed limits are greatly felt.

>God of life creates beings specifically to disrupt the order of the world, who's mere existence causes that, leaving them in suffering with lack of purpose as they seek to find reason to exist beyond that.
>God of Death seeks to end their suffering, and give them new purpose, while restoring order to the world by creating a cycle to the life of the beings that inhabit it, creating patterns out of the chaos they bring
Fucking done.

Heliod is not a god of life

Yeah, but It's like getting paid entirely in pennies when you could be getting the same amount in $100 bills. It's just exasperating after a point

I did, but it was more like the god of stagnation vs the god of progression. It didn't come out as good as I hoped.

Essentially, the "kind" god would grant immortality and restoration to people, causing them to live forever usually in a weakened, old state, or a state where their bodies have grown mishappen from continual growth, like a symbiotic cancer. The god of progress would kill the old and give life to the young, and people didn't like him because of the fear of death and change.

It sort of turned in to Tzeentch vs Nurgle after a couple of sessions, players didn't like either choice, so they opted to slay them both. This caused bodies to fall apart to nothing, but no new lives came about, so they effectively destroyed their world.

>CE life god
The worst I can come up with is more along the lines of CN than CE. Darwin taken to the extreme?

>LG death god
Actually have one of those in my setting. He's a kindly old monk who serves as a judge in the afterlife, judging all who pass before him fairly and sending them to the heaven of one god or the hell of another, depending on how they acted; rarely, he'll declare a finitely long sentence in a hell, to be returned to a paradise afterwards. For example, a loyal servant of the Trickster who regularly went around desecrating War's temples might serve some time as a penitent of War before being returned to the Trickster.

One thought I had is that the god of death's culling of life is to drive it forward both physically and spiritually, Imposing order on the chaos to reach higher forms (aka natural selection.) As for spiritual development it could go something like this story but with more than one soul.

galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html