That's a dope ass pic OP

autismo furioso

>Make first character
>Make unusual concept
>Constantly bug the shit out of DM with more stuff added to the backstory
>Nothing wanted, purely to entertain myself and offer something to the DM
>Have no idea if its welcome.
>Only a few sentences every few days.

Forgot to ask , is this sort of thing welcome?

Just have it locked in within the first few sessions of game time, and don't go overboard.

if your DM asks for some backstory give just a little bit at a time. don't go overboard, no more than a minute at a time unless specifically stated beforehand. if your DM says something like " you travel X days to someplaceland, care to fill some time by explaining some of your more unique backstory details?" fucking let loose

This.

As a DM I like my players to figure out their backstories and stop asking me for additional stuff for me to consider for them by the 2nd or 3rd session at the latest. The more they try to push things the more I naturally want to push back, which is what I've told them upfront.

You need to understand that the DM wants to have fun too, and for me at least, a lot of that fun comes from taking bits of your backstory to surprise you with. If you want me to include things about your backstory in exactly the way you want me to, then it takes away from my fun. And you as a player don't get surprised with cool shit I try to throw at you.

One of my players wrote a backstory about how he believes his brother to be dead, but that he just assumes it, not actually having seen the body. I think, okay, cool. That's a really easy thing for me to include down the line and surprise him. About 4 games in he starts prodding me like, "hey man, I had a brother you know... remember?... that guy I THINK is dead..." Yeah, dude. Of course I remember. Stop pushing it or maybe he will actually be dead.

It varies from DM to DM though. So just talk with them about how they like to run things and ask them what they might consider to be too much or "overboard."

Personally I try to get about a full page of backstory for a character. Paragraph on Immediate Family. Childhood, Formative years, perhaps their early adult life before game starts. Just so I have some good fertile soil with which to grow additional plots in. Though depending on the game there might be need for some extra stuff. Playing something Pendragon or L5R where family history is something that truly matters? yeah we might bump up to 2-3 pages of stuff that I'll sit down with my players one on one to work with.

Fuck that Mary Sue son of a bitch.

> didn't write the character back into the group with content related to his background so he'd have to open up to get the help he needed; letting him eat shit if he tries to go it alone against clearly stacked odds.

shit DM confirmed

Does he happen to be Filthy?

>Runs around solo adventuring whenever things go sandboxy

Oh no, looks like you've accidentally run into/caused something that can't be solved by a solo player. Guess you'd better run to get the group and/or reroll.

>Texts the DM shit about the game while at the table
Jackass better put that phone away unless a dear relative is currently dying. If he needs to do something in secret, he can write it out by hand.

>Ten page backstory
>Chides other players about lack of backstories
>Never explains his backstory
Sounds like he's trying to give you material to use for personal plot, which isn't strictly a bad thing. Plot-driven game or character-driven game?

This guy gets it.

The player's given you a ton of material to work with to fix this situation, and apparently the DM has done absolutely nothing with it.

>ten pages of backstory
>ten
>pages

Ten pages isn't even a lot.

Kind of assumed 10 pages was hyperbole.

If not, then take him out back and calmly explain that a character needs a paragraph per level at most. And/or shoot the bastard.

Ten is nine and a half more than anyone needs.
It just shows you haven't mastered brevity, and don't know how to filter out what others won't need or care about.

Jesus, 10 pages?! I'm sorry, but whats the point of writing a short story for a character who, inless your DM is treating the group with kid gloves, stands a very good chance of dying. Sometimes much, much sooner then you planned.

I wrote 5 pages and I'm roughly halfway through.

Why?

Because the DM didn't tell us anything about the setting except things I'd already suggested to him.

He's pretty bad, to give you an example. We're on Continent Westros, and because I have a katana, I've been to Continent Eastros.

I've literally never had a character die because I have a better sense for danger than the DM does and know when to get out of dodge

One time someone gave my gm 25

Secret backstories are usually to hide a lack of substance

I started writing up a doc on my character's family history and each individual living members, since my character's a noble whose family the NPCs have mentioned vaguely more than once since I stopped wanting the DM to be so vague about it, and since he says he wants to have an adventure focusing on each of the party members.

>Jackass better put that phone away unless a dear relative is currently dying. If he needs to do something in secret, he can write it out by hand.
The DM is clearly fine with it, if they haven't said anything.

No backseat DMing, fuckface.

You need to dial that background back by roughly 5 pages. Your DM can't come up with a continent name, he's not reading shit.