Should the sisters of battle be Japanese and have Japanese themes to them?

Should the sisters of battle be Japanese and have Japanese themes to them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ydXtCpYimN8
youtube.com/watch?v=dM1BAJOG2no&list=PLy55WVLwDMPlyr7qFDehv8aCI9wnuDvZd&index=11&spfreload=10
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_Tsunenaga#Italy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Isn't humanity supposed to varying shades of post-racial tan in 40k?

weeaboos already got their weeaboo race in the Tau

>asian people have their own inhuman alien race, keep them out of my aryan ubermensch fantasies

cease this bait

The irony of that was GW's attempt to market 40k to Japan by pushing the Tau to them. Generic mechas in a market flooded with them, at lower prices. If they had chosen, say, the Sisters (or any army with a more unique aesthetic), 40k may have caught on better in Japan, and not been written off as a market by the geniuses at GW.

I can dig that as a sorority thing but not everyone.

There are way to many world's and groups to just have a single ethnic group.

>Asian sisters
>Not African sisters
>Not Native American sisters
>Not South American sisters
>Not Canadian sister
>Not Eskimo sisters
>Not Middle-eastern sisters
>Not bikini-clad Pacific Islander sisters.

I for one, would actually like to see different ethnic groups in various factions of the game.

I can see sisters as they are being popular with westaboos but gw doesn't seem to think that way.

I don't think the tau were ever aimed at the Japanese. they're designed after 80s and 90s mecha shows seen in Britaun at the time. They're aimed at Europeans bored of the fantasy gothic thing.

>ethnic group
>Canadian
wot

This honestly, not even from a muh diversity standpoint, it's just all-white-people-all-the-time is a bit boring.

That being said, in the specific case for sisters I'd prefer to see them limited to ethnic groups with a strong catholic tradition, because of the whole nun thing.

Yeah, I'm not saying they were specifically designed to appeal to a Japanese market. It's just that when it came time for GW to try and sell 40k to the Japs, that's the faction they promoted.

Seeing as the Western animu of the 80s and 90s was basically shit from the 70s, it's no surprise the Japs found the aesthetic stale and unexciting.

Aren't they Chinese girls?

>>Not bikini-clad Pacific Islander sisters.
I can get behind this idea.

So paint them that way, genius.

Is this the new "female space marines" or "leman russ is the best primarch" period thread?

40k people should look like all sorts of different modern groups/mixed race people. The illustrations aren't great, but the fluff actually explicitly states this.

Um. No. It's we want Japanese waifu as sisters period.

youtube.com/watch?v=ydXtCpYimN8

No they should not

Catrinas!

Very feminine, colorful and with lot of death motives.

You could do what the Catholics did to South America "religions" mix and match.

Right now I can't recall any example, but many rigional festivities are traditional celebrations mixed with Catholic undertones.

>Japanese themes
Like what? Sushi..?

Like in kimonos, lots of flower patterns, maybe throw some traditional geisha.

Side note, sisters of the order Famulous in qipaos. With boob window showing their mighty tattooed Impirial Aquila!

I know you're just baiting, but really?
At least try and be subtle about it.

>Like in kimonos, lots of flower patterns, maybe throw some traditional geisha.

Sounds like a terrible idea.

For the enemies of men!

>being this retarded

No really, more like for people who are reasonable and don't won't out of place estetic choices

Eldar, White Scars, Thousand Sons, Tau, Necrons, Legion of the Damned. A few examples.

Unless you are referring to something else, please enlighten me.

The whole aesthetic for the IoM is baroque. None of that shit mixes with baroque aesthetics. There's plenty of places to indulge your inner weeb, 40k is not one of them.

Well, Sisters already have robe-esque stylings on their power armour with sleeves and the skirt thing.
Having one that was reminiscent of a kimono or yukata isn't much of a stretch and I don't think it's look all that bad.
Flower patterns though, keeping it looking right at heroic scale would be tricky and would look more like you just painted polka-dots on them.

Geisha on the other hand are right out. Doesn't fit, or suit them at all.
Same goes with qipao dresses, especially fetishised one.

I like the fact that racial lines are implied and not in your face... So what if every single spess maren is white, so what if they shoehorned a black dude in dow2...

If in your mind it's a nazi fantasy with Christian overtones thats in your mind, it was never stated specifically that that was the case. If tau are the nips, again that's in your mind, if the orks are what ever... You get it.
It's a fantasy world with over the top fantastic ideas and the matter of "race" is already there in terms of the alien races.

Well thank you mister ork glad you could come down and put these matters to rest

>Should x be Japanese and have Japanese themes to them?

The answer is always no.

Based solely on what happened last time anything vaguely Japanese enter 40k? No, no they should not.

HOW DARE YOU IMPLY WHITE PEOPLE GO EXTINCT?!?!?

To be fair GW marketing team where idiots. Some genius saw robots in Japan and popular in Britain and was like: shit son we need Mr. Robots, Chinese rifle men (fire warriors trooper), but that is not Japanese! Korean, Japan, China same shit!

While in reality Japanese had a huge erection for western things, I'm looking at you maid cafes.

GW simply didn't understood their market in Japan.

Eldar were pretty japanesey too

>Chinese rifle men (fire warriors

Fire Warriors are clearly samurai though.

Meido Sisters of Battle when?

Cleaning up the Galaxy for Emperor-sama, one immolated heretic at a time

They already cater to several pathetic neckbeard fantasies

So sure, why not

Maybe, but they reminded me of Chinese riflemen.

Samurai, Eldar leaders with their little flags on their backs are more samurai.

Also Aztec like sisters.

Since the far sight enclave is clearly supposed to be the shogunate, house long till we see a ban on guns for them?

Will maids be assaulted?

To be fair to the Eldar, they're basically a mix of every ancient/mystical culture under the sun. Drawing on Celts, some Germanic, Greco-Romans, Persians, Egypt, and the Orient.

I didn't mind that Necrons stole the Egyptian stylings since the thematic links between Maugan Ra, Khaine, and the Nightbringer were neat.

>Maybe

No maybe about it senpai.

>Eldar leaders with their little flags on their backs are more samurai.

Eldar are a mash up of several cultures.

Only if their Faith in the Emperor falters.

That image is the best thing I've seen all day.

Kurd Sisters of Battle

I meant Kabuki not Geisha, my bad. Like Picture related, but with power armour.

If by baroque you mean: "artistic style that used exaggerated motion and clear, easily interpreted detail to produce drama, tension, exuberance, and grandeur."

I see your point. Basically anything can be made to fit that style. Regardless of the cultural background.

Is 40k more gothic or baroque?

No, baroque as in Baroque architecture and aesthetics. There is nothing Japanese about that.

It's a blend. But the obsessive over ornamentation, gilding, and high Catholic Church tendencies are very heavily baroque and I'd argue those are fundamental to the aesthetic.

When will this fucking 'Tau were sold to Japan' myth just fucking die.
It wasn't to capture the Japanese Market.
It was to capture the western kiddies growing up on anime.
No 'break into' the Asian market about it.

Also, if you think Fire Warriors are Chinese themed, you seriously need to get your eyes checked.

But not nearly as much as the Tau

Sisters should look like
>THIS youtube.com/watch?v=dM1BAJOG2no&list=PLy55WVLwDMPlyr7qFDehv8aCI9wnuDvZd&index=11&spfreload=10

Well they reminded me of this guys. That's about it.

Like possessed barbies forced into poses that their skeleton couldn't possibly allow?

For fuck sake Baroque is a style, you can do the over the top ornamentation with anything.

You could have Baroque Mayan pyramids if you figure out how make it over the top.

Egyptian sisters represent

>No Chaplet Ecclesiasticus
>Inquisitorial Rosette
>Heels
>Trash.jpg

Call of Duty Maid Warfare?

>not wanting heels on your Sororitas

It's like you don't even care about high fashion.

>He fell for Yellow fever

>Japanese themes
Stand in the middle of a games shop, comic store, or other vender of "nerd gear," swing a dead cat and then come find me when you don't hit something that isn't Japanese themed. 40k is interesting in part because the aesthetics over the top space Catholicism. Slapping Japanese motifs on there would serve no purpose.

Now, if we're talking individual AS that appear to be more ethnically Japanese or what have you, then we're having a conversation. That could be interesting, but peppering the SoB with cherry blossoms just sounds cringy as fuck.

No, that's stupid. The schola progenum are all over the galaxy, it makes absolutely no sense for them to be of a specific ethnicity.

This isn't a bad idea.

We already have a bunch of Imperial Guard forces using real life armies as a starting point. It wouldn't be a stretch to have a single world with a more Japanese-y theme to it that happens to have a number of Sisters stationed on it.

The rest of them wouldn't have to be changed. And if the Japanese Sisters needed to be tied closer to the rest of the Imperium's visuals/themes, take some inspiration from Kakure Kirishitans or something.

>Being a Necron or a Thousand Son
Heresy

> khopesh
Meh, unattractive sword is unattractive.

>Stop having fun, guys, or I'm gonna cry!
>how dare you defile my pure, perfect, European Gothic :c :c :c

Somehow this anons Where full mad about people wanting to do something different regarding plastics soldiers.

On a side note, going for purely Japanese would be rather silly. Go for "Asian" as the general feel of the Imperium is "European".

Just like Orks are not just Hooligans, but a mix of "Barbarian" idea.

EVERYTHING should be Japanese. We are the master race and the only race on the planet descended from Amaterasu. Our military leaders just managed to fuck up enough in the 1930s that it set the natural order of things back a century or so.

There should be a catgirl order. Also the Officio Assassinorum needs to employ more ninjas.

Yes. Women are for decoration.

Shut it you dirty elevens.

Would be better than any of their past few releases, that much is sure.

power kopesh I would accept, but chainsword with dat curvature?

Oh god his face. I'm having flashbacks about Crossed.

its actually a chain axe

As a grill, you're absolutely goddamn right.

> implying whites don't into space
> implying some plague doesn't wreck Africa
> implying the future 1st world Terra cares enough about them to do anything more than what is being done to help them right now

Imperial Japan Guard might be cool

Tenno Heika Banzai!

Everything about the Sisters of Battle is so deeply rooted in Western European religious culture that it'd be basically impossible to change it now, some three decades later. Any different cultural influences would have to be very subtle to prevent it clashing with the 110% hyper-Catholicism that they're made out of at the moment.

Most Imperial officers run into battle waving swords anyway

Though if anything, the Imperium has better supply and logistics than the IJA ever had. Also, tanks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_Tsunenaga#Italy

>Not Middle-eastern sisters
Duh, just put black piece of cloth on unpainted models

We need to make this IG regiment. We already have a psudo Chinese one.

> Middle-eastern sisters

Burqa bitches?

GROUND PRESSURE
R
O
U
N
D

P
R
E
S
S
U
R
E

There is litteraly nothing stopping you from fluffing your order with a Japanese theme. Just give them a fitting logo and maybe glue some Japanese bits on to them, and you are good.

>not Sikh sisters

Do you even indian space paladins?

Nobody plays sisters of battle. The only "people" who play them are shitty no personality neck beards.

>GW
>Marketing
You're a funny guy, user.

Was this like a one time thing from years ago that has been just slowly recycled? Because I really don't see this game, with its past few years strategy of neglect everywhere but Britbongs as really spread 40k fever abroad

Nobody plays them because they're a faction that gets a half-assed rulebook tossed to them when GW remembers they exist and have a model range last updated in... 2005? 6? It was at least a decade ago. Their core troopers are still shitty metal models from the 90s, so even by GW standards an army is going to be ruinously expensive. And of course, GW looks at this and goes "Sisters aren't selling, not worth revamping them!" instead of managing to puzzle out that a line that's totally neglected doesn't look like an attractive option. So, yeah, nobody plays them, but there's a reason for that.

£50 for 10 sisters, webstore exclusive, PDF-only army book. Most of their line (all? couldn't be assed to check) seems to be webstore only. The most recent models I could see there were from the 2003 3rd edition army book: the core sister infantry are even older than that. Sisters have gone 13 years without a model update and have been pushed into the internet shame corner.

Tau take aspects of Japanese culture (although Relic kind of ruined it when they have all Tau Engrish voices).
Eldar also have elements of Japanese samurai dress and Taoism symbols.
Imperium obviously can have any number of themed Imperial Guard of Space Marine armies.

So no I don't know why you'd want a race clearly based on a French Catholic tradition to suddenly change to a Japanese theme. However, I also can't really deny that it could happen given the diversity of the Imperium.

How popular were they in the first place? I find it hard to believe that past GW would dump an army like that if they weren't profitable.

Also I'm fairly sure they're Chinese.