What system would you use to run a Western game? Not with weird ghosts and Native American magic...

What system would you use to run a Western game? Not with weird ghosts and Native American magic, just classic frontier action.

>inb4 GURPS

Other urls found in this thread:

kenzerco.com/aces_n_eights/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GURPS

really

most if the weird west systems hold up okay even if you gut them of magic and ghosts and steampunk and whatever else, but I keep hearing people mention dogs in the vinyard for regular western settings.

Maid RPG

Dogs is great but a poor choice for anything outside of Revisionist Westerns. Maybe try Aces and Eights?

>Dogs is great but a poor choice for anything outside of Revisionist Westerns.
Incorrect.

Here in Sweden we will properly play swedish roleplaying game Western.

The new edition have rules for customize your own firearms.

the real best suggestion for any game.

On a more serious note it probably depends on the tone and focus of the game, can you be more specific?

Ops and Tactics
or
deadlands without magic which is easy to do.

Here to second Ops and Tactics op.

The focus would be the players travelling around from town to town as bounty hunters, the classic western adventuring party. Ideally, they'd be "good guys," going after bandits and trainrobbers and the like, maybe with the odd side quest to track down Indian treasure/forgotten gold mine.

Tone, I think generally upbeat as opposed to gritty. I mean, Westerns tend to be gritty by default, but I'd rather not go too grim.

I'll give Dogs and Ops and Tactics a try.

Ideally to me, there would be lots of focus on different guns. Making your iron, your iron seems like an important thing in this kind of game.

Use Savage Worlds Deadlands and just remove all the magic stuff.

Done.

Savage Worlds by itself is nice too. Also all kinds of D20 books well work

Deadlands as is, is perhaps my most favorite setting for TTRPGs.

Im not a big fan of alt history settings either, but, wow. Its really great.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whale has fun gunplay if you don't mind stating your own weapons.

This is probably the only good choice for something historically correct.

kenzerco.com/aces_n_eights/index.html

New World of Darkness would be good. That system is pretty solid by itself, when it isn't weighed down by Vampire or Werewolf or Changeling or whatever. It would be my go-to for anything set in the modern or semi-modern world with little to no supernatural stuff.

Is it in English?

If you want "Paladins in the wild west" then Dogs in the Vineyard is fucking awesome.

Otherwise I've heard good things about Aces and Eights but I've never tried it.

>Aces and Eights
That's one of the most insanely crunchy systems ever made. It actually requires you to use stencils and target cutouts to determine hit locations. The only kind of people I could see enjoying that are the types who think GURPS is too rules light.

Depending on how narrative/crunchy you want to go, I would use one of the following three:

Very narrative: Dogs in the Vineyard
Fairly narrative but somewhat traditional: Fate Core
Sim-based: GURPS Wild West, or GURPS Weird West. Or just GURPS lite / basic set
Full crunch: Aces & Eights

Hyper-lite: Dust Devils

Personally, my picks would be either GURPS or Fate. Dogs in the Vineyard is really freakin' cool, though.

>one of the following three:
Sorry, got ahead of myself and found way more suggestions popping into my head.
Also, Savage Worlds would do nicely I imagine (although I hate that system personally).

Probably Traveller. It has solid gun rules and nice dynamic initiative system so you can dodge away from someone lining up a shot at you, or you can spend 2 turns aiming for a +6 bonus.

Also it works perfectly with showdowns: 2 Guys armed with revolvers and with no armor, whoever gets shot first is going to be unconscious. Very deadly system, perfect for wild west. Has a whole bunch of antique firearms statted out.

I love DitV, and all, but gunslinging isn't exactly its forte.

It works great for Firefly for everything but mechanic-related stuff. Great at story/episode arcs, and 'role-play'. Not so fun if you're looking to roll dice.

DitV?

You know, I hadn't even thought of it but you're right. Plus if the campaign gets stagnant, the party can find a crashed spaceship and enter the stars.

I can't find a pdf of it via a casual search of Veeky Forums's archives, anyone here feel like sharing it?

Not a fan of Aces & Eights?

>Savage Worlds would do nicely I imagine (although I hate that system personally)
That's kind of how I feel about Savage Worlds in relation to every setting.

Savage Worlds basic.

Dogs in the Vineyard. Future Mormon Wandering Samurai seek cultural zen.

GURPS had a dedicated Western sourcebook. Apart of that I see nothing wrong with using Deadlands/Savage World without weird stuff.

It is in Swedish. But lately many swedish rpg got translated and it is possibly it will also get translated in the future.

Phoenix Command

Gunslingers and Gamblers
Short, compact, written with western in mind, no magic bullshit, no special dice.

Anyone who says Dogs in the Vineyard hates fun and variety.

>Anyone who says Dogs in the Vineyard has actually played a role-playing game with their friends instead of pontificating and theorycrafting on Veeky Forums

Fixed that loose post for ya, pard.

>Gunslingers and Gamblers
My nigga

... which can be said just about any tabletop RPG, you fucking moron. It won't make Dogs any less boring bullshit that runs on Mormon wanking. Fucking Deadlands has more variety and it still is a dead horse at this point of history.

Dogs in the Vineyard

I didn't think people who actually played RPGs were allowed on this board.

PS you can also use it for pre-imperial Jedi in the outer rim

How about no? Literally Dungeon World of western

>'Classic Western' game
>Still has elves, dwarves and orcs

Great argument, fella.

That's a right purdy meme you've got, miss.

Reading about dogs in the vineyard, it makes me think it would be a great system for running a Twin Peaks based game.

All Flesh Must be Eaten, plus the Fistful of Zombies book.

You don't have to actually include any zombies, and the archetypes in the book make fine NPCs.