Is it weird I prefer miniatures like the one on the right to the one on the left?

Is it weird I prefer miniatures like the one on the right to the one on the left?

How on earth does little Timmy paint all these new massive plastic kits, other than badly?

Painting comes AFTER buying

>Is it weird I prefer miniatures like the one on the right to the one on the left?

Not at all, if you're a baby.

Not at all.

Say you had a perfectly painted Nagash- how do you even transport that fucker?

carefully

90s cheap monopose plastics were the best.

I always look on ebay for cheap Heroquest/Warhammer Quest stuff.

I have seen bigass GW kits slaughtered by bad paint jobs.

Even stuff like a FW Horus assembled with the claws and mace warped and painted with thick paints....

Man HeroQuest was the best

t. Nostalgius

The new kits are pretty impressive once they had their CAD figured out. The stuff from the space hulk remake had giant segments and random wiring where they were clearly trying to figure out a way to print it and fit it, and the detail only made sense from one viewing angle.

The old kits had a lot of character, didn't take up so much of the table, and didn't cost one hundred fucking dollars.

I don't really play anymore, or go in GWs or any FLGSs really, but when I was a teenager, people struggled enough with plain old Marines. Rarely saw a full army painted to "tabletop standard", either because it was grey and metal, primed or just badly painted.

It's certainly the nostalgia talking but god damn I love hero quest. Morcar may not have conquered the world like Archaeon but he looked like Skeletor and that makes him a thousand times cooler.

Why is anyone buying little timmy a 100 dollar Nagash model if he can't paint?

There are games you can play without needing more than 10, human sized models of your choosing, pick them instead of the over the top giant monster and piles of miniatures games.

Because Little Timmy wants the new super bad-ass Super Heavy kit, his parents don't know any better, and he has only heard of Warhammer, never of Frostgrave or Song of Blades and Heroes or whatever.

>implying little Timmy or ANYONE still buy warhammer models

kek

Well then it's already too late for little timmy and talking about it behind his back like this is pointless, and honestly pretty rude.

I'm not a fan at all but let's be real here.

Their revenues dropped by like 2% last year, which is bad for the balance book but still leaves them a very big fish in a very small pond.

Anyway, fuck X-wing, the mechanics look cool and I know you only need a few models but I can't bring myself to pay £15+ for one Chinese-plastic tier fighter and a couple of cards.

Their revenue dropping every year since 2012/2013. And in US x-wing already outselled 40k.

Got mine near-mint for 50 Euro recently. (garage sale, Ebay would drive the price higher)
Can't wait until my finals are over to actually play it.

All I can find is that X-wing outsold Warhammer 40k, not GW as a whole, for the last quarter of 2015 in North America, which is impressive I agree, but it's only one market for one quarter. It's not a sea change yet.

Apparently the intro box was on sale in Target, a bit like how GW used to sell various games in association with MB.

I'm jealous. I have a lot of the miniatures for Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest, Warhammer Quest, Battle Masters, etc. but none of the rules.

I was thinking of making my own dungeon tiles, that's a popular thing at the moment, but no idea what I'll do for a ruleset.

>for one quarter.
I didn't think x-wing will lost popularity in 2016, since Disney wants to release new Star Wars movie every year.
>not GW as a whole
Yeah, but 40k is only one thing which selling well by GW standarts.

>but no idea what I'll do for a ruleset.
scan might be floating somewhere around the interwebs, failing that i might eventually make one myself. Core only though.

Aye, or something like Song of Blades and Heroes Dungeon rules, or Descent

It's because left has some major composition issues. All the ghosts point to his crotch, the point of least interest. Pointing toward the crotch wouldn't be bad if he was in point and cast spell pose, but all his blings go upward.

It's the flaw of a lot of modern GW designs. They made details for sake of details because they have the easy tech to do so and forget to consider the actual composition.

>Is it weird I prefer miniatures like the one on the right to the one on the left?

I don't think so. I agree with you.

The new miniatures are a big, confused mess. I love the older ones.

Do kids even give a shit about miniatures?

I'm sure there are some, but Veeky Forums always acts like they're some big force in the market when I've never seen anyone below 16 play, and the 16 year old was the LGS owner's son.

Especially when he could be playing BRIKWARS!!!

>I know you only need a few models but I can't bring myself to pay £15+ for one Chinese-plastic tier fighter and a couple of cards.
Yeah, I was buying 5 Mega Bloks Blind Bags (One Kraang Droid, three Blood Shredders, and a Jackal with a Covenant Carbine), each about $2.50, and the fa/tg/uy manning the Checkout was telling me how they were less expensive than his X-wing minis.

I love Star Wars as much as the next guy, actually that's a lie, I probably love Star Wars more than the next three guys, but I really can't see myself swapping out a game and hobby that allows for both infantry, aircraft and armour and that allows me to field entire armies of heavily comverted units for a game and hobby that doesn't.

>I probably love Star Wars more than the next three guys, but I really can't see myself swapping out a game and hobby that allows for both infantry, aircraft and armour and that allows me to field entire armies of heavily comverted units for a game and hobby that doesn't.
Hence, BRIKWARS!!!

meanwhile we can actually do 10 games a day and go with any store with only 3 ship and enjoy a fuckload of different opponent.

I was sick of not being able to play WH so i switched to X-wing. I really living the hobby since that

Yeah, I can personally see the angle. Let's say I was just going to pick up an intro set to try the game, should I get the old one or the Force Awakens one?

I know it's a bit cheaper in the States and you can even get stuff in stores like Target or Amazon, but £15 for a single booster is Scandalous.

This. In the end we all have our favourite games that we'd ideally want to play with great people all the time, but at the end of the day we just want to play and have fun, even if it's not the game we'd have picked in a vacuum.

Sort of how I think Magic is Better than Hearthstone, but I can't play magic any time I have 15 minutes on the bus, so I play Hearthstone.

Personally, i'm in France but only order on Chaoscards.co.uk or Wayland games.

To really enjoy the game you can take the Force awaken set, it really is ALL what you need to play lots of game and get you started.

Then do NOT try to copy online list, as you'll need a pretty nice collection of cards to do so, you can win by flying well even if you don't have the "top" cards of the moment. Most of the time the cards that comes with each packs are good with the ship they come with.

I personally only buy ship that i think look good,
and i still manage to win store tournaments with fluffy list.
X-wing is ultimately about playing the game, it's a gamer's game. My thousands of € of warhammer are taking dust for longer than I can remember why ?

I'm pretty busy and work in a investment bank.. it is just impossible to schedule a Warhammer or 40K game, meanwhile i can have my Feldherr "mini plus" loaded with 3 list, yes LISTS, in my car... and do 2-3 game each day after work.

I like the complex minis due to the artistic value, but the simpler ones are just more practical.

I got into 40k in the early 2000s and loved the fancy figures like calgar and the new tyranids, tho i never got them as i couldn't do them justice as a 13 year old with unthinned paints. I can't stand the new over engineered figures like nagash and have actively gone the other way, enjoying more old school type figures more.
(say hello to my army of orcs, made up of 3 poses with different greenstuff hats.)

I think there's a balance to be made between characterful models and technically badass models, and often the ambiguity of a sculpt is what makes it fun as it allows you to project a character onto it.

this. the in between is the best

Fuck yeah, putting my sculpture degree to good use by calling for moderation in the design of toy soldiers. completely makes my crippling debt worth while!

Yes, that is weird. That's a crappy plastic version of this.

I like the classics too, but not quite as flat. I agree that Nagash is oversized and overdesigned. In all honesty if I wanted hueg monsters, I would just look for a smaller scale game like Warmaster or something.

I took one look at the new Warhammer Quest game (in name only) fuck that. Drop one of those overly ornate and dynamically posted minis in the floor and you are fucked. I would not enjoy painting them. I paint to a table top standard. Not fancy clean and simple.

No, lefty looks like fuck to actually glue without pins.

No, but that doesn't mean there is anything inherently wrong with the left either.

>The old kits had a lot of character

This really feels like a buzzword at this point because it has no qualifiers and exclusively used as a positive to describe older models.

Probably because those game have no presence in the shop.

People on Veeky Forums like to talk about X or Y games and forget that not everyone has a playerbase for them near them. Either making them a moot point or forcing the person to essentially work as an advertiser for free.

One thing I'll say is that Privateer Press seemingly learned that the doing it for free model with no help whatsoever doesn't always work out.

GW isn't going anywhere anytime soon and the grognards who think so are fooling themselves, however that doesn't mean that X-Wing and games like it have not already become a force.

Not at all, I also prefer it. Especially 'cause that Nagash is stupid.

They're supposed to be game pieces, not shelf pieces. (inb4 hurr GW is a model company not a game company). Having more detail and tons of fiddly bits does not make something inherently better. Also, there is no reason for Nagash to be fuckhueg except because idiots think it is more TOTALLY EXXTREME!!!

Fuck this gay earth.

It's not weird considering your point of view

But as I see it the hobby of wargaming isn't really for little Timmy anymore.

The audience mostly grew up and gets rarely any new blood from the >20 crowd because vydia games are more aceessable, and hell who can blame lil Tim for popping on that xbawks than sitting down and painting stuff in his basement.

So I don't really see a problem mostly with the direction geedubs is taking their minis, while I have to agree especially on AoS they tend to be overdesidgned

>The audience mostly grew up and gets rarely any new blood from the >20 crowd
->

Not at all.
I guess some people just want pawns for their games.

When I'm buying models, I want something cool to paint and put on shelf, that does not have to be simple and easy to carry for games.

>They made details for sake of details because they have the easy tech to do so and forget to consider the actual composition.

Considering they actually interviewed the sculptor behind Nagash and showed concept art for the model, I kind of doubt that is the case.

But I forgot this is a GW product, so everything made after a certain date is automatically soulless unless it apes an older design point for point.

Since it's made of plastic, I doubt much pinning is required at all.

Despite having the appearance of being flimsy, a lot of GW's big kits are supposed to actually be quite secure.

>They're supposed to be game pieces, not shelf pieces.

Lots of people evidently don't care and don't mind models getting bigger.

>Also, there is no reason for Nagash to be fuckhueg except because idiots think it is more TOTALLY EXXTREME!!!

The reason is because they can do it and because Nagash is monstrously arrogant being who desires a world where alone is at the top and everything else obeys his will.

Previous sculptors were not given the option to make things the way they would have liked too, they had to work within the confines of the resources available, which is a big part of why models that were once smaller have gotten bigger.

X-Wing is actually somewhat of a point in that user's favor considering how much easier it is to learn and setup compared to 40k, Fantasy, or even AoS.

Man, every time I see someone paint up those Em-4 Orcs, I get tempted to just buy an assload of them and do something. I don't know why I'd even need 150 orcs, but they're just so cheap.

Naw, cartoony minis can be really charming. The lack of firm detail makes it feel easier to appropriate them for different purposes, and they're really easy to identify at a glance on a table.

Can you tell me what kind of case you're supposed to put that monstrosity in.

!!!JEWEL LIKE OBJECTS OF WONDER!!!

Holy shit, this picture is so terrible. Why even play the game?
I'd take shitty paint applied with love over this grey/black abomination. And the terrain, oh God...

Worst thing is it's on the wikipedia page for Warhammer 40k.

I thought you were joking until I checked it myself.

is there something like that for elves? like a cheap as hell way to make a massive elf army?

Pretty much everyone in my local store paints everything they play at least to some degree of "tabletop standard"