The GM takes every roll of 1 as an opportunity to be a comedian

>The GM takes every roll of 1 as an opportunity to be a comedian.
>Everyone at the table's playing something "LOL RANDUMB".
>that guy that talks about other systems you "should" be playing, as a front to show how knowledgeable he is about tabletop gaming.
>that player who insists on bringing their significant other to the gaming table, despite it being obvious that they have no interest.
>That kid that claims he's always been familiar with tabletop gaming, yet asks really simple questions, and doesn't understand how things work.
>The guy that min/maxed a character with a really obscure gimmick, then loses all interest in the game when no in battle.
>Being Forever GM for so long, that when you finally do get to be a player, you can't enjoy it.
>That guy that brings his weird fetish shit to the game and Veeky Forums despite their being more convenient places to do that shit.
>The player who takes self imposed checks to see how they would react to situations because, they can't contain their edgy "insanity".
>People who think every session of an RPG need to be a "Veeky Forums storytime-tier" giggle fest

OP, just offhand, what do you imagine having friends and playing RPGs with them is like? Genuinely curious.

I can't even imagine it.

Sometimes, late at night, after I've finished working on my campaign that no one will ever play, I gaze solemnly out the window of my mom's basement, and think how great it would be to actually have people to play with...

>>Being Forever GM for so long, that when you finally do get to be a player, you can't enjoy it.

This is my life now.

Luckily nothing else on that list ever comes up.

>Players who take self-imposed insanity tests
I hate this shit so much. No, I'm the goddamn GM. I'll tell you when you're losing your shit.

Then just fucking quit the game, you piece of human garbage. Stop complaining on Veeky Forums; I don't give a fuck, and no one else gives a fuck.

Lord Thundering Jesus, some people deserve to die, and I deserve to be the one to do it.

KEKEKEK!

Which one triggered you? I'm curious?

It's suffering, my friend.

I started playing in a campaign for the first time in a LONG time, and I feel myself judging my GM constantly. Literally every decision he makes, I'm thinking to myself, "Why would he do that, when he could do this?"

If you haven't had to deal with at least on of these things, then you're part of the problem.

OP being a beta whiny piece of shit is what triggered me.

Have a problem with your group? Open your smelly, Cheeto dust rimmed mouth and fucking say something. Don't whine on an anime image board like you are somehow the one eyed man in an island of the blind. What you are is a lazy piece of shit who can't fucking talk to other human being, that, or you are so socially inept that you can't even muster the nerve to quit the group.

I dealt with them like a normal fucking human being. I talked to the person or I quit the group.

You're projecting pretty hard, friendo.

How do you know that I haven't talked to my group or found another one? The truth is, that in my time gaming, I have approached people in situations like these, and talked to them about it. A lot of times that did solve it. Because you confront people about these problems doesn't make them any less frustrating when they come up.

The fact that you're responding so negatively to a thread where the theme seems to be "general things you dislike about tabletop gaming", sends up a red flag. I'm curious as to what sort of content you contribute to this board, or if you even belong here.

Uh oh, did I violate the sanctity of your super special friends only club?

You are right, I don't contribute anything and I don't belong here. Now what are you going to do about it?

and don't forget
>this just like in a that gm thread

This thread is funny.

I agree OP. I have player types I hate as well.

> people who have lives outside of RPGs

Is there any bigger red flag for a player than this?

Honestly, if you have a life outside of roleplaying games, you should not be playing them. You have everything else: a family, a career, other friends. Possibly a girlfriend, but I wouldn't really count that because I know you can have a gf but still have no life. But why would you miss RPG night? Either you have a shit job, or children, or something else that is clearly more important to you than gaming. Well, in that case, get out. RPGs are not for casual players who happen in whenever they feel like it, as if this is poker night. RPGs require consistent attendance and a deep devotion to the craft of collaborative storymaking. If you can't keep away the parasitic blight of children and relationships and work for ONE NIGHT A WEEK, then you should not be playing. And your enslavement disgusts me.People like that get kicked from my group on a monthly basis. It pisses me off to the point where I outright ban players who have children, spouses, extroverted hobbies outside of RPGs, or jobs that are not a standard 9 to 5 circuit.

I know how forever GMing feels. The problem is you have so much more experience with it than the rest of your group that you get impatient with the missteps, mistakes, and learning experiences you yourself had to go through, too - couple that with the fact that the most flexible and dominant personalities tend to gravitate towards the position anyway. It becomes self-perpetuating unless you really take time to groom someone else as GM. I'm lucky to have a couple players who I can switch out with on occasion, even if I do 70% of it.

The rest of those sound like you should find another group if that's what flies for them.

that's old

is 5 years of gming too long to play?
i really want to play shadowrun but my backup GM is a dodging cunt.

I wouldn't put it quite as inflexibly as you, but I have had to have the "There comes a time when your inability to attend or keep up is causing more drag than contribution, it would be best if you bowed out" talks.

If he's dodging you asking him to run Shadowrun, your "Backup GM" doesn't want to run Shadowrun. It's pretty much destined not to end well if the GM doesn't really want to run what he's running. Sorry, but it's probably not going to happen. Try finding groups online?

Yeah I've said that but these fuckers don't care. I seriously think they should be paying us for the time they have wasted as recompense for campaigns they have destroyed. I think a fee of 5 dollars per session per player in the campaign, should be fined from players who quit like that.

He actualy does want to run Shadowrun tho.

>Being Forever GM for so long, that when you finally do get to be a player, you can't enjoy it.

When our last campaign ended, one of the players wanted to take the reigns, and since he's a fairly reasonable guy we had no reason no to.

He immediately starts using critfails without even confirming them, which usually resulted in the attacker stabbing themselves for no logical reason. One NPC just about killed himself via critfail, and another player just about lost his shit.

Thankfully we were able to steer him away from doing that, but it's weird thinking that members of your group are hiding stupid ideas ready to be unleashed at any moment.

Then what do you mean he's dodging you?

He might be overwhelmed by it.

Shadowrun is a hugely crunchy system, and even after GMing many different systems over the years it became too much for me to deal with despite everyone enjoying the campaign, me included.

>>that player who insists on bringing their significant other to the gaming table, despite it being obvious that they have no interest

Fuck I hate this, a guy in our group always brings his gf and when it's her turn she always plays on her phone or draws. She doesn't even know what's going on half of the time and we end up wasting time recapping for her.

>The guy that min/maxed a character with a really obscure gimmick, then loses all interest in the game when no in battle.
>That guy that brings his weird fetish shit to the game and Veeky Forums despite their being more convenient places to do that shit.

>tfw you have been each of these at one point

would you still join a group with me Veeky Forums

Is this person, perhaps, 16 years old?

Oh fuck it's me

;_;

>I just want to DM a game where the players are invested in the drama and can take things seriously.
>Instead, I get a group who is listening to someone plead for their help in saving the town they just spent the last 20 sessions saving from a dragon, and they can't even remember what he's saying.
>"Lol can we just kill him?" or "Are we leaving yet? I thought we were traveling this session."
>Worst of all, that fucking bored leaning back in their chair while they're conversing with an NPC about important shit.

I don't even know why I bother. I've never met a single player in my career who could even muster the enthusiasm to give a shit about what's going on around them. They insist on me DMing, and showing up every week, and they talk about what they're going to do, but come the session everyone just slumps into monotone "couldn't give a fuck" mode. Every campaign, every group, for years.

And then there's the worst pain of all;
Blowing some of the best writing and setting-building I've done on a group who couldn't give a single fuck, because all they care about is when they're gonna level up next.

Good luck with that.

>>The GM takes every roll of 1 as an opportunity to be a comedian.

HOLY SHIT THIS

He probably likes the idea of shadowrun but knows he can't handle the system.
If you push him, you will still have a bad time.

>That kid that claims he's always been familiar with tabletop gaming, yet asks really simple questions, and doesn't understand how things work.

We had this, but she was also the DM's girlfriend. Lost her shit when she was asked to describe her Shadowrun character on the spot. Kept getting shit for it to the point she didn't come back.

>including his own

>I just want to play in a game with a sensible, well put together fantastical setting that I can explore and occasionally murder something exotic.
>Instead, the DM wants to run dungeons from old (and I mean OLD) modules.
>Everything ends with a dungeon.
>Everything.
>Worldbuilding is handwaved away or abstracted 'because dnd'.
>Three groups in a row.

when you get shot 10 times in the face with the same helmet you really should reconsider your tactics.

I'll play with you user. I know your feel.

That just means the helmet works. Meaning getting shot in it isn't all that bad of an option.

It sounds like you're the only one not having fun, OP. Have you considered that you might be the problem?

>"user lets play X game"
>work on campaign, setting and plot hooks
>After 1 session
>user lets play something else
EVERY TIME

>that guy that won't lighten up and just sucks all the fun out of them room when the rest of the party OBVIOUSLY just wants a silly and light-hearted game full of jokes and fun

To be fair, that guy probably took a single volley to the head. I can picture that damage being done in the space of a second or less.

I know that feel. I'll played a PC for the first time in over 10 years of DMing last year and probably came off as "That Guy" for trying to be everything that I have wanted my own players to be

>Complex backstory with multiple dangling hooks
>Twist on the usual classes; I played an Urban Ranger
>Spoke in character as much as possible, adopting an accent and mood to match
>Tried to interact with the other players in character and avoid all meta, despite knowing the rules inside out

Sounds good on paper, but I know they all must have thought I was try-hard and passively implying that they have badwrongfun.

here

is what I mean. Everyone probably thought I was sucking the fun out of the game.

I know your pain, user. I just want a game with a bit a fun, a bit of srs, and a neat setting, but everyone keeps running in the same shit doing the same things while simultaneously complaining to each other about a lack of variety.

>I hate this shit so much. No, I'm the goddamn GM. I'll tell you when you're losing your shit.
Are you also telling me where to go? How I should feel and what I like for dinner?

>old (and I mean OLD) modules

The kind of modules where there's a "vampire" sleeping, stuffed in a coffin in a hidden alcove. The party stakes the vampire before it can react and in doings so, the glamour spell wears off and it turns out you just murdered a well known LG Paladin and must face the repercussions.

Or you stick your head into a port-hole to get a better look at the other side only to find out it's filled with a sphere of annihilation and you're completely dead now.

My favourite is the big-boobed babes that always turn out to be some old crone or hag using an illusion spell.

Worst part is when this happens so frequently that no amount of world building or story will get the players actually invested. Hurts like a sonofabitch

I understand this conundrum.

A friend of mine has started a campaign where any roll of 1 has ridiculous repercussions. One player's HP was brought to critical because he rolled a 1 and "dropped his backpack, containing a vial of alchemist's fire" resulting in an explosion.

Our reaction was kind of funny. We all gave the GM a blank stare and said, "What kind've game are you runnin' here, guy?"

I like it when players take the initiative to make self imposed checks for things relavent to their character.
For example, characters rolling to see if they keep their composure, or rolling willpower to keep cool and not escalate a situation.

I don't know, man. A lot of oldschool stuff is really well written, but it's also written with the idea that your GM is going to expand on it. If they don't take the time to flesh it out and make it suit their campaign, it will most likely just feel like the same ol' dungeon delving.

In comparison, adventure modules within the past ten years have been largely written with everything you need. A basic town, a major plot, and maps of very specific areas. But before that, a GM was expected to intigrate an adventure into an ongoing world, where multiple other adventures were going on simultaneously.

>Player uses a self-insert

Work less, play more

OP here, despite all of the negatives that we can gripe about in gaming, you can never leave, because of:

>The GM who weaves stories so fresh that you feel like you're actually in Middle Earth
>That player who makes/brings food that's perfect for gaming.
>the hot girl who's an excellent RPer
>The guy who stops to think of what his character would do before every appropriate situation
>The yuckster who pulls off a crazy shenanigan every couple of sessions, to keep things lively.
>that Grognard that's been around since the old days, who has some great D&D stories, and actually lets their experience shine through
>The black dude that's really in to medieval weapons and combat, and makes a badass mercenary character
>That one edgy kid with an inferiority complex, that you can always count on acting the same. (Hey, someone's gotta kick the doors open.)
>The players that always play ham fisted dwarves/barbarians, and live for critical hits.
>The few players that actually love and appreciate your homebrew, and keep asking you for more information outside of the game
>Bros that hangout after the game's over to play some board games, and drink a few beers
>the strangers you meet when looking for groups online. Sure, you get some real weirdos, but some of my favorite players live on the other side of the world.
>The girl who writes 19 page character backstories, and though you roll your eyes, when you read it, it's really fuckin' good.
>something inside of you has always wanted to tell stories about knights and knaves saving maidens from the clutches of Dragons.

>putting any emphasis on NPCs having agency
>nobody cares
>an NPC actually does something morally grey or at odds with the party's interests. bonus points if it involves a universally understood and unavoidable motivation: self-preservation, family, honor, etc
>PCs agree: he must be pure evil, a literal ball of black evil tar that eats babies and butchers nuns. An evilmental from the elemental plane of evil.
>NPC does not like PCs for legit reason and is mildly rude to them. Or doesn't go out of there way to help them. Or actually tries to exert influence over them. Imagine if you were a City Watchman dealing with belligerent PCs or you're a local lord and some barbarian tries to intimidate check you with a death threat while showing no respect
>PCs declare blood feud against NPC everytime
>Anything, ANYTHING goes wrong or unexpected
>I give up, dice hate me, etc. Who has time for Plan Bs?

My favorite character type as a player is Face and I end up GMing for people who think everything in the world is an enemy to be slain. Doesn't anyone want to wheel and deal?

You've actually put this really nicely.

Player characters are actually pretty demanding on the gameworld itself.

Drop them in the land with no friendly man around. Everything wants to kill you back, and the roleplay now is more about PCs trying to survive and conflicting with each other over the last bandages and food rations without scorpions in it.

Some light in the darkness of endless bitching. Thank you.

>anime image board
triggered

>>I just want to play in a game with a sensible, well put together fantastical setting that I can explore and occasionally murder something exotic.

As a DM, I don't care about giving you a world to explore, I don't care about satisfying your itch to kill something weird or unique, and I don't care about making sure every where you turn your head in this game setting, there's an interesting bit of lore or a quest for you to find. There's a million and a half DMs running the same bland sandbox where there's a new quest around every corner.

I'm trying to tell a compelling story and give you guys a worthwhile experience to be a part of. The fact that you're standing there passively waiting to be entertained, or expecting the DM to scramble to fill your need to fuck off and go check that he has content prepared over in this corner is what I don't need out of players.

You want a dramatic, interesting story full off cool twists and turns where your character is the protagonist? Great, let's play.

Why can't people come to the table to take part in telling a story? Why does everything have to be "omg there's a plot? Muh agency!"?

How would a Veeky Forums 3.5 game go?