In your setting, what happens when an impossible even occurs?

In your setting, what happens when an impossible even occurs?

What happens when:
>An unstoppable force meets an immovable object
>God makes a rock so heavy he can't lift it
>etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lIpev8JXJHQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If we're talking The Elder Scrolls, you either figure that shit out or you realize you're impossible and that the universe has no underlying order or natural state and disappear due to apathy.

In my own, there aren't true absolutes like Immovable, Unstoppable, Omnipotent, and the like outside of the theoretical, and all beings or forces have limits, though some of them may be beyond the physical. Being or forces claiming such titles do so mostly out of vanity, and while their power may be immense, it's absolutely not absolute. Much of what could mess with the universe's laws is either self-regulating in its manifestation, sensitive to interference and so dispels under adverse conditions, or otherwise resolves through interaction with opposing or interfering forces, rarely it does so violently.

Reality is breached in that area, and the chaos between realities leaks in, causing mutation, psychosis, monsters, suffering, and other phenomena.

Too many breaches could cause one of two outcomes:
>One of the infinitely vast Elder Gods drifting between realities takes notice of the reality in question, dooming it.
>The boundary of the reality is strained beyond its limit and breaks, thrusting the entire reality into the space between realities, and everyone is mutated, driven mad, killed by monsters, and generally has a bad time before/during dissolving into the chaos.

>>An unstoppable force meets an immovable object

The force is deflected but never stops.

The timeline is purged and corrected to ensure whatever impossible event took place never actually happens to begin with.

Time cops fix everything.

>An unstoppable force meets an immovable object
They surrender.

Universe tries to compensate by rapidly creating new rules and assigning them almost at random to everything in the area until it hits an acceptable compromise, then reality breaks and everything is rewound to the point where the impossible thing would have occurred, except the functional law is now in place, and was always in place, and nobody will ever realise it wasn't in place.

Except for the BBEG, who has been outside reality and seen the universe from a side-on view, and so understands what happens when you do an impossible thing, and so has manufactured an entire plan, spanning eons, all in order to do something that is super impossible, at which point he will be assigned thousands upon thousands of epithets as reality tries to compensate, investing him with more and more power until he reaches the point where he can breach the fabric of the materium and claim the vacant throne of God.

>>God makes a rock so heavy he can't lift it

Well I would find a God who lifts.

>>God makes a rock so heavy he can't lift it
Simple. God (the father) creates a 2,000,000 rock that God (the son) cannot lift and God (the Holy Spirit) watches on the sideline.

Fuck you you made me spit out my tea with laughter

Hmmm. Would it work if the unstoppable object moved straight through the immovable object without jostling or breaking it?

>In your setting,
Thank you for negating the inevitable "Depends on the setting" response.

In mine, a localized catastrophe occurs such as a proportional amount of the local matter being undone.
But the exact catastrophe is plot dependent.
I'm not gonna handwave a tpk, and instead make it more likely a Groundhog's Day scenario like that Dr Who episode where River Song decided to fuck causality.
Have the players repeat the events until they can prevent it.
If they fail or give up somehow, then maybe all affected are disintegrated.

I didn't realize until I typed it out that it ends up being exactly like the games in Reboot.

>exactly like the games in Reboot.
So when will you be running your Reboot campaign?

Heh
Not planning on it, but that does sound like a killer idea

There's an entity that's stronger than any god overseeing each possible universe. When something like that happens, the stops the world, takes out the pieces that are making the problems and changes their values up a small notch, puts them back and does a short rollback.

The problem is that this entity has the personality of a fed up office worker, so he could screw things around and he wouldn't give a fuck

is nobody going to mention how goddamn unsettling that thing looks?

>A god makes a rock so heavy he can't lift it

Well, that doesn't stop him from lowering everything else

I'm really only responding because of how fucking cute that Owl is.

I like the way Daggerfall did it: a Dragon Break, where all the impossible things all happened at once, and also didn't happen at all, and also don't contradict each other, even though they're all contradictory.

My favorite idea I've ever had was a ReBoot/Tron crossover game. Characters can play a Rezzed User, an outside User controlling a Program, or an independent Program. Depending on the party, there may or may not be a Real World counterpart to the game - compare the first Tron movie (where things happen in the Grid and in the Real World simultaneously) to Legacy (where the whole main story in the Grid apparently only takes moments in the Real World).

And then throw in the Games and multiple Systems from ReBoot, and you've got some shenanigans ready to go.

The objects or persons violating the natural law, in addition to the surrounding area, are expelled from reality in order to avoid destabilizing the world. Where they end up is a realm of improbability and impossibility.

The basic concept behind the Omnipotence Paradox lies in the idea of an almighty being contradicting one omnipotent power with another. Before lifting such a rock, God would have to remove the force (such as gravity) that keeps him from lifting it. If God had previously willed said force from being removed by anyone, including God himself, then one would need to ask why has God's will changed to begin with? If God is omnipotent than he is by nature also omniscient and could foresee the need to lift the rock, thus preventing him from putting a force on the rock that he could not contravene.

>than
Then.
>?
I need to start proofreading posts.

A few of the creator's remaining servants are forced to manifest to argue over the best way to resolve this situation. Time cops is rare.

Hey, that's kind of like my BBEG, who traveled outside the world and saw the creator's face, then decided that they were going to fuck up reality to steal it from God. They've already started stealing the servants of creation away.

It doesn't happen because it's impossible

The underlying spirits settle the issue out of court and one of the involved elements temporarily acts contrary to its apparent absolute nature until the event is finished.

A lot of my setting works on impossible bullshit, and usually has means of working with it.
>Diametrically opposing antithetical forces (matter/antimatter, immovable object unstoppable force) create variants of Omnimentals when they collide, which act as fixing points through the planes to keep the multiverse from sliding apart.

In terms of paradoxes, a lot of that just gets shunted off into the purview of the space between planes, which is an insane shifting void that works on literally nonsense principals. (Up is down. It is also left, sideways, heavy, and the moon)

Compromise.

It typically ends very poorly for the two involved, which is why primal forces rarely conflict, even though they are diametrically opposed.

Pure evil does not risk touching pure good, Pure law does not test pure chaos.

Reality is actually the universe's most complex game of "I'm not touching you", where every first principle is trying its best to annihilate its opposite without in turn getting annihilated.

My version of the apocalypse is basically when someone gets fed up with the MAD doctrine and turns the universe into the fastest and highest collateral damage game of instagib that never happened, because some dumbass shot time and now we all get to sit on our hands forever until the Maker comes back and puts us all in time out.

Like Zapp Brannigan's military exploits:
>Your Honour, it's all true: My female incompetence, Zapp's cat-like reflexes, the stuff that made no sense, all of it.

Reboot, with a touch of Tron, would be an awesome setting.
We need to start a thread sometime and get shit done.

Impossible events do not occur.
Events thought to be impossible, however, do.

youtube.com/watch?v=lIpev8JXJHQ

>>An unstoppable force meets an immovable object
If we are going to be pedantic, any force is unstoppable. No matter how massive the object is, any force will affect it, changing its velocity - accelerating it, decelerating or changing its direction. In the same way, no object is ever immovable, if it has finite mass. If it has infinite mass though, you have all sorts of different problems in your universe and unstoppable forces is the least important of them.

Ontological Paradoxes are resolved within a meta-dimensional space.

Stasis.

Shit literally just fucking stops. The object, place or being responsable for the paradox still exists, but the moment is eternaly frozen, shifted into a reality just over our own. Essentialy invisible to most, but a tingling sensation can be felt, the warm glow of possibility, or the cold shivers of dread. Those that are attuned can gaze upon the scene if they focus and know where to look.

This is the fate of many heroes. They strike at an undefeatable evil again and again, refusing the impossible and forcing reality. Something had to bend, and it wasn't about to be them.

Trying to undo reality's safelock would be a very, very bad thing. Maybe antimatter starts leaking, who knows?

Both are obliterated