mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>Veeky Forums Character Sheet
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

>Last Thread
What's your favorite kind of bard, /5eg/? What are some good tips you experienced bards have for up and coming minstrels? Which is your favorite bardic college?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JrCFkYZcWzg
drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlR0dSc004bjVQOGs/view
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420020-Paladin-Sacred-Oath-Oath-of-the-Scale
dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/post/141718534123/spellblade-class-by-ricodyn
youtube.com/watch?v=AUES5PA0ALg&feature=youtu.be&t=77
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What's your favorite kind of bard, /5eg/?
Swashbuckler rogues, to be honest.

A Skald, The Allfather made me a Warrior First, and a Poet Second.

The kind that doesn't always flirt with every wench in a 50 mile radius to fulfill their non-existent sex life.

When did everyone start treating "knave" like "loveable scamp who does vaguely rogueish things"? When you're talking about the rogue kind of knave, it's always negative. They're hideous liars, can't be trusted as far as you can throw them even when they're not lying, and have pretty much no qualms about fucking anyone over for their own gain. The very idea of an oath is against all of that (especially one that involves "honor among thieves"--you have no honor as a knave!), since they thrive on breaking them.

just find a better word

>What's your favorite kind of bard, /5eg/?
Valor, because I like to get up close and personal and like swordfights and cool melee combat stuff but also like to chat and be friendly with folks.
>What are some good tips you experienced bards have for up and coming minstrels?
Either pick a cheap instrument, pick one that won't break easily (wooden ones are right out), or learn to sing.
Or at least whistle.
>Which is your favorite bardic college?
New Olamn if you can afford it.
Songsabers 4 lyfe!

Remember, as Bard, you are better than Ranger at being Ranger and are much more Paladiny than a Paladin.
Choose wisely which spell list to steal from and which classes to render obsolete.

>he doesn't play a NE Necromancer/Bard

I pity you

youtube.com/watch?v=JrCFkYZcWzg

I would never allow a bard to pick a unique Ranger or Paladin spell. It's pretty stupid because their high level spells are intended for the endgame, and it's bullshit that a bard can pilfer them at level 10.

Aside from that I'm a fan of bards, though. Pretty much the best support class in the game.

That sounds like a terrible multiclass choice. Do what I did and make a warlock with an entertainer background.

I'm glad you're not my DM then because that's a stupid rule.

>Spells that are supposed to only be attained at 17th level
>Taken at 10th level by a bard
>Not bullshit
There's a reason their unique 4th and 5th level spells are a bit more powerful than most spells of the same level.

They really aren't.

I'm glad you're not my player. You sound like a bit of a dick.

I wanna give a sexy tiefling girl a rimjob

posted this right before last thread died

I want to make a dragonborn dragon-centric paladin-warlock.

What do you guys think of this oath and pact?

drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlR0dSc004bjVQOGs/view

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420020-Paladin-Sacred-Oath-Oath-of-the-Scale

>that's a stupid rule

What, so you actually want Bards to be strictly better Rangers? Because they're already a great class without poaching from the Ranger spell list.

The only ones that are a bit ridiculous are:
- Aura of Vitality (3rd level), for its fantastic out-of-combat healing ability, and
- Swift Quiver (5th level), for its ability to give a Valor Bard 4 ranged attacks in a turn for 1 minute (which becomes super-strong with Sharpshooter).

And even then we're talking those being taken by Lore Bards (who are strictly support) and Valor Bards (which aren't that strong damage-wise even with an extra attack) respectively.

Those are damn cool, honestly. I love the first ability of the pact, but your DM might hate it. Either way, as a DM myself, I'd allow both of those.

Rock and Roll/Metal Bard is the best Bard. No boss fight is complete without a dragonforce solo!

So, if you were DM, in a scale of 0 to 10 how mad would you be if one of your players decided to be a pedo cleric?

Probably like, a 2. I'd either be 1. cautious but curious if it was a player I trusted or 2. casually kicking them out of the group if they were THAT GUY. Which they almost definitely are.

I'd be pretty mad if a player decided to be a pedo anything. Being a cleric just gives me an excuse to let a god fuck with him for being a sick bastard.

I would only be ok with it if we were playing an evil campaign and if the player was mature about it, and actually managed to portray a villain without being absolutely disgusting and uncomfortable for everyone. Which is unlikely to ever be the case.

We're pretty good friends so I just want to get back at him in a playful manner without pushing him over the edge.
I don't think there are gods that allow me to be a kiddy fiddler, nor am I aware of how a characters sexual deviances can be relevant to the story without coming as overbearing. I'll have to think hard about this.

Why's the belly still huge if the baby is no longer there? Huhh??

Which is better to play, an Eldritch Knight or Fighter/Wizard, Warlock or Sorcerer multiclass?

>Pic possibly related as our DM hints towards Spelljammer.

pure eldritch knight kinda sucks, however going eldritch knight + abj wizard is pretty solid.

just only use your spell slots for stuff like shield, absorb elements and other defense spells.

make sure you have green flame blade, it's great

also, this is a good martial/magic class

dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/post/141718534123/spellblade-class-by-ricodyn

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe she has quadruplets?

EK is good for a fighter who uses magic for protection, but bad if you're thinking of an arcane paladin. I advise a hand crossbow build.

Fighter/wizard isn't bad once you're built, but you can hurt yourself pretty badly by delaying your extra attack or your good spells as you're leveling up.

Warlock is best as a dip, but you can make a competetive bladelock if you do a dwarf using polearms. Otherwise you'll be hurting.

Have you thought about warlock/paladin?

>if you are proficient with shortswords or longswords, you are proficient with the sun blade

Does this mean that the sun blade is a monk weapon?

It's still considered a longsword, so by RAW no.

However, as a DM, if a monk got their hands on a sunblade, I'd let them treat it as such.

No. Monks are also proficient with great clubs, despite them not being monk weapons.

What's the definition of a monk weapon then? I was under the impression that everything they start off with proficiency in being a monk weapon, because there's always a weird cloister somewhere that runs with whatever it might be?

Shortswords and any simple melee weapons which don't have the two-handed or heavy property.

1. I'm a pedo myself, so why would I be upset about that? My only worry is that the adventure goes on siderails and people start chasing little girls instead of focusing on the actual campaign.

Oh, it's you again

I like that homebrew class. I think I'm going to steal it.

As a DM myself, I'd rather not balance the game by telling my players that they can't do X, even though the book says they can. Instead, I'd rather work with my players to make ranger a more satisfying and useful class to pick.

There is also a homebrew import of the Duskblade, which was a 3.5e class that was about as close to a pure gish as you could get. They were basically arcane paladin's without the alignment restrictions of 3.5 paladins.

I know some anons in the past put up their own versions of the Duskblade, and maybe there's one up on the DM guild thingie.

Neat.

I wouldn't be mad, because I wouldn't let them be one of my players.

You're a good DM.

> I'm a pedo myself,

Why?

What do you mean why? It doesn't disturb you in the slightest that you're a disgusting turd of a kiddy-fiddler?

I guess you deserve some credit for at least admitting you're trash, but still, the world would be much better off if you made an investment in rope or sucked off a shotgun

No, I mean why would I kill myself just because my preferences upset you?

Can't you technically two hand a quarterstaff for a monk weapon?

I don't see anything that's preventing it.

Read the latest FAQ's, monks can two hand staffs and it's still a Monk Weapon.

Would be fucking dumb if they'd prevent that since 2H staff is classic Hongkong kungfu shit.

Indeed.

What's a Huge or greater-sized creature that can shoot fire and I can strap to the underside of a flying boat?

>What's your favorite kind of bard?
For 5e specifically, my favorite so far was Thorne, a half-elf bard that finally had mechanical backing to his "Jack of all trades" status. The 5e bard finally let me play a dabbler character that didn't suck ass... he had the Valor College so he could hold his own in combat with a rapier, buckler, and scale, along with a bow for backup. He had a mix of spells mostly focusing on divination, enchantment, and stealth, with enough healing to pull the group through in a pinch. He had proficiency with thieves' tools, a ton of skills, and was just basically a very solid adventurer in general... the only thing he couldn't really cover was spell/area damage, and that would have come soon enough anyway with some of the sonic spells. He didn't outshine anybody else at their role, he was just able to fill in for any role when needed. It was tons of fun.

>It's pretty stupid because their high level spells are intended for the endgame, and it's bullshit that a bard can pilfer them at level 10.
Wrong. All spells are based on their spell level in power. A 5th level Paladin spell is no more powerful than any other 5th level spell (barring the usual fluctuations in power level within a spell level), even though the Paladin doesn't get them until higher levels.

If you don't like one class stealing another class's iconic spells, that's one thing (I disagree with you, but it's still your choice when you run a game). But it's not a matter of power level, or when the spell is "supposed" to be available. Spell level determines what point of the game a spell is "supposed" to come in at (that level being spell level x2, -1).

>What, so you actually want Bards to be strictly better Rangers?
No, I want Rangers to get a fix that actually works. When one class is by far below all of the others in both its ability to perform its own role, and overall power, the way to fix the problem is not to nerf the classes that are where they need to be, it's to buff the class that isn't.

Yes, because while you are wielding it in two hands, it does not actually have the two-handed property. Though you won't get a benefit from two-handing a quarterstaff once your Martial Arts damage reaches 1d8, unless your DM is nice enough to re-phrase "Versatile (1d8)" as "Versatile (+1 die size)"... which I certainly would, but your DM might think differently.

As a DM, I wouldn't. Part of the point of Martial Arts damage is to let you choose which weapons you use. You don't want to make one monk weapon flat-out superior to all the other options.

If my character is from Mulhorand and has the Acolyte background, can I play a cleric of Isis?

Considering that it takes up an extra hand (you can do a lot with a free hand, especially as a monk) and only gives +1 average damage, I don't think it'll be a big deal. Especially since your bonus attacks still have to be unarmed, anyway.

I will be joining a game soon starting at level 5 and wanted your guys opinion on my rogue2/GOO pact bladelock 3 that is heavily based on Alice from Alice in Wonderland.

>When young she was taken by an incarnation of madness (aka some sort of lovecraftian creature wearing human skin)
>Trained to serve his whims as best she can
>Driven slightly mad by his mere presence
>Finally released to do his bidding
>Believes her master talks to her through a strange cat only she can see
>She struggles to stay sane against her own madness
>She occasionally fails and slips into a mild psychotic episode in combat

I am worried that this will either come off as super edgy or lolsorandumb but I don't intend for it to be either. I just want to play that character that is struggling to hold onto their sanity and failing. She wont be gibbering mental patient but more trying to stave off paranoia and those psychotic episodes.

So I have an idea for an adventure and I'm looking for advice and criticism.

The basic idea is that the players live in a universe where one of those dime a dozen cults that adventurers wipe out regularly actually won. They made it through the adventurer filter somehow and actually managed to get to a point where they have some real serious power.

A couple things I want to go for in this game:
>The cult is respected by the people, they put on a really good face and may have at some point in the past secretly taken over an actually good church. They have armies and kings that answer to them, because they sure as hell look like the real deal.
>One of the cults doomsday plans have already been set off, successfully. I'm not sure what this will be since obviously if there's a moon sized demon devouring everything it'd be a bit hard to fight back against, but I could definitely see a more minor doomsday plan have gotten through (Tidally lock the planet, usurpation of where dead souls go, something nice and terrible but doesn't automatically kill the party)

A big concern I have is I'm trying to keep this very low to unregistered on the fedora tipping scale, which I worry it already pings on just due to fighting a giant evil mega church. I'm definitely thinking good gods exist, but for some reason they have been unable to act against this church. One idea is that the church picked the most powerful good god in the region and created a massive ritual to basically streamline Ur-Priesthood, so the most powerful god is busy having a shitload of his power drawn away to do very much.

Another issue is I need a good way for the party to discover this AND actually believe it, essentially they would be going against most of the world in order to save it and I feel like they'd need some pretty damning evidence to even jump on that train.

Thoughts? Is it a bad idea? Is it fedoracore the tippening?

Try reading up on how those mental issues ply out in real life, and how they manifest for those suffering from them. If you can get somewhere close to that it should get things to a good distance from edgy/lolrandumb, because the real deal is nothing like that. It's more broken, dysfucntional and tragic.

Sounds pretty interesting. Maybe you could implement kind of an underground organization or brotherhood consisting of paladins or clerics of the old faith fighting against the cult the players can join or discover. Should also fix the Fedora problem.

Agreed. When you reach lvl 11 you're simply wielding so much ki and technique that your unarmed attacks inflict more damage than whatever a swung stick would. Not seeing the problem with this.

I think those kinds of concepts only work if the DM is willing to help you with them. Doing it yourself just makes you seem like you're trying too hard, but a DM can actually do things to make you question your character's sanity (hearing things no one else does on perception rolls, having to roll saves to avoid personal breakdowns/conditions, etc)

Sounds unbelievable edgy and can't think of an interpretation of that not being like a total edgelord , sorry.

Sounds fun and interesting. For the succeeded doomsday plan may I suggest the following?

>Successfully sealed the prime material plane so that souls cannot pass on to their fate
>In the short term this means a massive increase in the amount of undead
>This also makes creatures that feed on souls become drawn to this plane as it is rife with them

Why not go chainlock and actually have a cat familiar?

Destructive Wave is pretty much one of the best blast spells. 10d10 is nothing to sneeze at, and it has a huge area, perfect selective fire, and deals your choice of 2 of the least resisted damages in the game + Force.

I played an online homebrew that gave me access to Destructive Wave at the same time casters get their other 5th level spells and it was absurd.

If the plane is sealed, how are extraplanar creatures showing up to eat all the souls?

I was seeing the cat more as a cheshire cat. Pops in does impossible and confusing things. Gives her impossible and confusing instructions and leaves before she can get any real answers out of him.

That is what I am worried about.

Souls are sealed on the plane. That's it. Its a subtle thing that most people wouldn't even notice until it has gotten out of control. It doesn't turn off deific powers, affect magic, or even do something easily visible. No one could easily link it to the cult either.

This also opens up a further plot for the cult: if they've really commandeered the local Church of Goodness, then this new horde of undead is the perfect opportunity for them to increase the public's opinion of them by dealing with the undead menace.

Only in reality, the undead they "purge" are just being corralled and relocated for later use (and to act as an emergency army should they ever be threatened enough to reveal themselves). And further, they can control how successful their undead hunting missions are... if people in Town X are stirring up trouble, well, I suppose it might take the undead hunters just a tiny bit too long to make it to Town X when the next outbreak of undead occurs there (which, thanks to their secret undead army, will probably happen sometime tomorrow).

>Believes her master talks to her through a strange cat only she can see
This (and to a lesser extent the combat episode bit) is awful but the rest seems fine.

I suggest you go Tome or Chain Pact to get a familiar, with said familiar perhaps relaying messages to you. A straight up Cheshire cat just seems cheesy and dumb TBQH so I'd consider a Raven or something instead?

Plus, Blade Pact does nothing does virtually nothing at level 3 of Warlock and you're going to want to spend the rest of your levels in (probably Swashbuckler) Rogue.

Also, bear in mind that the two melee cantrips from SCAG are pretty great for a Rogue so pick up at least one of them.

My group's homebrew setting is similar in that the doomsday thing has already occurred. The gods/other powers that be responded by shunting the area most touched by the cataclysm into its own minor plane, so the "prime material" of the setting is a prison for a many-headed turtle beast that devours the world every thousand years or so.

Fighting against a church does not alone make you a fedora tipper: painting everybody in the church and anybody outside who respects or abetts it with the same brush could be. Make the church's agents and devotees genuinely likeable, and perhaps even well-intentioned, unless they're in some sort of inner-circle group.

I'd draw a parallel to 1984 where the Outer Party members might genuinely believe in Ingsoc, while the Inner Party members are fully aware it's self-serving and don't care to change it.

Painting them as ignorant and deluded by a phony faith is kinda fedora-tippy too

What instrument would you expect a lightfoot halfling valor bard to have? I was thinking a horn to signal an attack but it's hard to imagine a relaxing campground fire song that deals solely with a horn.

I... never said that?

Believing in something doesn't automatically make you ignorant. You can be a genuinely good person in service to something horrible, as stated in SettingAnon's proposal.

But please: continue to project your own frustrations onto the discussion. It helps immensely.

Drums are the go to war chanter instrument. You can't go wrong with flutes either. Also, who says horns can't be relaxing?
youtube.com/watch?v=AUES5PA0ALg&feature=youtu.be&t=77

Seconding for buglebard.

Some American Civil War-era campfire tunes are actually pretty soothing.

Does a halfling even have the pipes for a horn? He'd be a mighty impressive bard just for being able to play it for any length of time, let alone play it well.

A bugle would be pretty cool, maybe he can use it to wake everyone up after a long rest, or sound an alarm!

I was thinking a small horn like this rather than a big ass french horn or whatever

I mean, I saw a seven-year-old absolutely fucking bossing a trombone on the street the other day. He was at it for over an hour.

That's like a hobbit, yeah?

I played tuba when i was 12.

It is decided. The druid in our party must die. Everyone except of him wants the same out of game.
Tell me very cruel or dramatic ways to kill him.
Thanks.
Your friendly neighborhood draconic sorcerer.

>seven year old
Halflings average about 3 feet tall, 40 pounds.

They're more like 3-4 year olds in size. But dnd gives them the same carrying capacity and physical damage-dealing power as adult humans. Which makes me wonder why people are supposed to be underestimating halflings in the first place, when they're half the size but lift the exact same weight and hit just as hard as the medium-sized player races.

Does anyone else kinda wish the Moon Druid got a few more uses of Wild Shape as it leveled?

>Make a sign that says something insulting
>put up just outside camp
>Have a player "show" him something
>Lead him to the sign
>Each character takes turns stabbing him
Its dramatic all right.

Twice per short rest is a lot already

Dont forget you can stay in animal form a number of hours equal to half your druid level. This would let you get a couple of encounters out of one wildshape if you stay in it.

It keeps it so there is a chance of running out. You are a full caster still when you run out you could just call lightning.

2 uses means that's sometimes you may actually have to use spells rather than wild shape.

Has anyone played a LE PC that works well the party? If so what was there story, I need inspiration.

Depending on how often you get to short rest it might be, but I guess turning into an Elemental feels like a "once per short rest" ability anyways. I just think, somewhere around level ~14+ it'd be nice to be able to shift one more time after that before needing an hour down time, and might make the progression into Arch Druid somewhat more natural. There's this too, though, I suppose.

What about having more uses of smaller forms later on? It sucks that once you get flying forms most of them are kinda bad for actually fighting and it means you never really have a chance to use the smaller animal forms. I'd love if I could turn into a bat or small bird or something without kind of gimping myself if a big fight happens.

I dunno though. I certainly don't think the class is bad at all.

Find a way to trap him in animal form. Sell him to a street-meat vendor.

Tell the DM the party isn't meshing well with him

Nah, all my spells are going to bonus action self-healing. I've got some cantrips to fall back on in an emergency, but I'm all about the claw/claw/bite.

He's just going to turn back once the Street-meat vendor tries to kill him.

I thought a coup de grace was just instant death in 5e? No damage involved, just slit the throat of the tied-up animal. The vendor might be surprised that he's got a dead human on his hands instead of a dead wolf, or whatever... but it's not like he's gonna turn down cheap meat, is he?

Wildshape already scales just fine. You can stay in beast mode for half your level in hours, and refreshing all your wildshapes is just one hour of rest.

That means if you don't feel like casting spells, you can spend almost your entire adventuring day as a bear. If you run out of wildshape and still want to keep being an animal, you still have shit like Polymorph.

Using wildshape for utility isn't "gimping" yourself either. When you need to kick ass in a fight, just use conjure animals to throw down a preposterous number of wolves, snakes, or eagles. Or cast something else off the wonderful Druid list, and hide somewhere so the bad guys don't break concentration on your awesome spells.

Cantrips can work. But if you are level 5 I'm not sure if a level 3 spell slot is worth 3d8 healing. I mean depending on situation.