Magic Items

I need some unique magic items for my high magic setting. Does Veeky Forums have any particular favorites they'd like to share?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_mass
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Evil Coin: Whispers into the mind of its owner and will cause them to make poor financial choices if they can't resist it. Very good at hiding its nature.

Boots of Running: Equipping these makes your nose runny.

Avarice Blade: Any blood split by this dagger turns to gold as it dries

Cape of Dramatic Billowing: Always billows dramatically at appropriate moments. Does nothing else.

Magic chessmen. The chessman which can make the best move is warm to the touch.

Sphere of Negative Mass: Has negative weight. Causes a variety of physics fuckery interactions.

Just give oné player the Egg of the High King and watch

A more generalized tip:

Don't make the items confined to one use. Sure, the military are the only ones with stones of farspeak at first, but eventually a wizard makes a golem which writes out the information. Someone then determines that the stone of farspeak can transmit millions of bits and boom, you have a image Sharing device.

For every piece of magical technology, build two additions to it to expand the reach of it.

For the posts In the thread:

The evil coin is used as a cheap divination tool. One poor chap carries one, and serves as the "fool" to any business venture. Other members of the investment firm use his bad decisions as a weathervane

Boots of running have a side effect of kicking your immune system into overdrive at all times. Good for fighting off the flu

The mint is a torture chamber filled with avarice blades. A killing blow produces an evil coin.

The chessmen can be linked to dungeon layouts/security systems. The "best move" is used to inform where security is weak, or if someone is trying to breach the peremitor

Merchants but spheres of negative mass, obviously. But they are also used to produce airships and hover cars

What does it do? Googling only turned up Berserk references of a similar name.

The Flute of Hounds: When played, it can only be heard by canines and felines. All others hear silence.

Helpfully, non-supernatural canines become friendly, but non-supernatural felines become hostile (most simply run away).

The copy cat: A stuffed cat that acts like a wand and casts the last spell that it sees

>Postal gliders

Paper gliders that fly to an address written on the inside of the glider. These gliders are usually used to transport messages. They can be knocked off course by wind but will right themselves if they manage to stay airborne.

the ooga amulet. Whenever you eat a pineapple, you my shoot a laser

The hexagigatron. An amulet that can change the geometric shape of any small object. Currently only limited to spheres, cubes, dodecahedrons, and pyramids. Can expand these options by crafting a shape made of pure silver and "feeding" it to the amulet.

Vorpal Grindstone

Makes anything vorpal. The grindstone itself is also vorpal.

What happens if two grindstones are applied to one another?

A holy wand

They decapitate each other.

Orb of Confusion

Reduces all mental stats to 1 below requirement for sapience in your setting when within 10 feet of it, unless the orb is submerged in liquid

The subtle knife?

Here's a high magic idea for you: bag of holding siege engines. What looks like a simple hand crossbow with a pouch on the back actually fires ballista charges. Add a few golems to reload it for extra cheese.

Wilder Jade Chalice: Makes any liquid poured in it safe to drink.

Feather Ring: The wearer can understand and use the speech of birds, and can survive great falls unharmed. Enduring a fall of more than ~200 feet causes the ring to break and lose its power.

Deep Shadow Stone: All the dreams of whoever holds it become lucid.

Amber Eye Ring: The wearer's reflexes are sharpened, and they develop paranoid tendencies when interacting with other people.

Blue-stained Porcelain Diadem: The wearer may touch a corpse and sacrifice some of their bodily wellbeing to be reborn in the rejuvenated corpse when they die.

Clog Manach: When the orb is tapped with the golden wand, everything except for the user and anything on their person is frozen in time and space, and becomes completely immutable. Tapping the orb again undoes the effect.

An enchanted throwing boomerang shield

The coin sounds like it would be spent very quickly and therefore the misery would be spread to some other sap. Neat.

Candle of Wellbeing.
Burns for 8 hours.
If lit for the entire duration of sleep a character resting within 20ft heals twice as fast for that night.

Just leave on the ground on some random dungeon for your players to find

Friendship Bracelet: When worn it gives the owner advice for making friends. Does not give romantic advice.

>Does not give romantic advice.
What about making the kind of friend that one starts a relationship with?

Potion of Spider Climb:

Once consumed, the character can climb a Giant Spider, or a Pile of Spiders, flawlessly. Alternatively, any spiders you splash it on will be able to climb anything perfectly.

Created by the same Wizard who created the famed Potion of Fish Swim.

Is that actually a thing that happens?

Enchanted clay: clay that absorbed enough mana and blood to become animated. Often shaped into decorative chess pieces that are popular with the rich.

I wanted something like the One Ring but instead of driving you insane, turning you into a wretch, and reviving an ancient evil, just ruins your credit

>Bow of Solitary Army
Firing an arrow from this bow shunts the arrow off into an extra-dimensional space. Only 6 arrows can be placed in this space at a time, and any attempt to place more than 6 will result in the bow breaking. By speaking an activation word when firing the bow, all arrows currently in the extra-dimensional space are released at the same speed they were fired from various surroundings, and strike whatever object that the arrow fired when speaking the activation word hits. A penalty to hit occurs when more than 1 arrow is in the extra-dimensional space, and increases slightly for each arrow more.

The dull whetstone: a cursed whetsone that makes any blade it's used on dull and soft.

The compass of desires: a compass that always points to where the user greatest desire can be fulfilled

The crystal flower: a small, extremely rare flower whose petals are like diamonds. It does nothing at first but if taken care of for a year, it grants a wish.

The Moon water: a magic water that if drank completely restores one's body to his prime, like after a long and peaceful rest. It also cures negative levels and curses.

The endless pie: a pie that regenerate itself when eaten, every time with differend flavours

The horn of silence: a horn that absorbs any surrounding sound when used

the fashon wig: a sentient wig that when weared gives the user good advices about clothing style.

The sword of peace: a magical sword that cannot be removed from the scabbard. When used, it destroys any weapon ic comes in contact with

A spell book with a lock and chains around it

>Avarice Blade: Any blood split by this dagger turns to gold as it dries
This is the perfect item to make a paladin fall!

>Pearl lantern

A magic pearl that glows when immersed in saltwater.

Anti-Skelleton Amulet - if placed on anything made of bone, the bone becomes wiggly like rubber.
Watermelon Watermelon - If smashed on the ground, this watermelon will copy itself
Enchanted Smokes - A box of cigars which make invisible objects visible

Locke's Key: A key that can permanently lock any door, but cannot unlock that door.

Average Joe's Blanket: Transforms the wearer into a lvl 1 commoner for 1d4 hours. Can be used once a day

Rotten Rod: A rod that points to the closest decayed object or person

Bottle of Life: Any small creature put into the bottle will stay alive forever

I've ended up dating a friend. Didn't work out well, but not because we'd been friends, she was just an emotional trainwreck.

>paladin donates the blood of slain foes to churches and orphanages

Sphere of Slope Detection
>when placed on a surface, the sphere will immediately roll to the top of the nearest sloped structure.

Ring of Water Breathing
>a cursed ring, that when worn, enables the wearer to breathe under water, and nowhere else.

Ah, but that's the beauty of it user. If you follow its advice perfectly you will never start a relationship with them. You know, "too good a friend to date" and all that. If you want to waifu(or husbando, I don't care) the target, you must act on your own. What kind of love is just following instructions?
In other words:
>Become friends with bracelet's advice. But not too much friend.
>waifu with what you've learned. Bracelet advice may be useful for consideration here, but don't use it too much.
>Ideally pass bracelet to someone else who needs it.
Confident coat: This otherwise normal coat makes interacting with others easier. Gain a small bonus to all social skills. This bonus stacks with all other bonuses and remains as long as the wearer thinks they are wearing the coat.

A construct made of marble

A magical amulet that contains copies of all previous wearers. Causes wearer to hear voices that are geniunely try to help, but are usually giving insane suggestions. Sometimes useful for tapping into expertise of someone in particular.

I can see this working similar in a way similar to the crystal glasses/fountain of knowledge combo from Xiaolin Showdown. On its own, it overwhelms the mind and is basically useless, but with another object that allows focus is the most valuable thing you can own

I wasn't conceiving it as some overwhelming. But sort of a joke item that provide some comedy. The primary idea is that most past users were evil, and their personality became more one-dimensional due to imperfect imprinting. New user is good and voices really want to help him, but they can only suggest comically evil things.

spellsweeper: a golem designed to identify, dispel, and counter-spell magi. Can be 'taught' a small number of spells for the purpose of priority dispelling and countering. Has a battery that slowly recharges over time, or quickly by 'feeding' it wand charges, magic scrolls or 'drinking' potions. If its battery is overcharged, the golem goes on a 'witch hunt' and attempts to dispel any magic it can detect for several minutes, a flaw sold as a feature.

>A device that cures a number of essentially terminal poisons and ailments (cancer included) by summoning thousands of tiny demons into the subjects bloodstream. Upon curing the disease they will then turn on and devour the host before rampaging free as a supernatural plague, so you can pretty much only use the thing with an exorcist on hand and at great risk.

Got *great* mileage out of this one. One of the only things the party managed to drag from the ruins of wizard city / hellscape.

>A type of wildflower that only comes to bloom wherever a god or similarly powerful supernatural being *will* be.

>>A device that cures a number of essentially terminal poisons and ailments (cancer included) by summoning thousands of tiny demons into the subjects bloodstream. Upon curing the disease they will then turn on and devour the host before rampaging free as a supernatural plague, so you can pretty much only use the thing with an exorcist on hand and at great risk.
This is literally plot of Torchwood episode.

A device that will make a person believe that he or she will die if perform one specifically described action. Works only once per person.

Semelele: Can cast a Bigby's Hand spell once per encounter.

Potion that you must let others drink. This will make one claim specified before brewing they make to be believed to believed by everyone who hear it while effect is present. But brewer himself must believe this claim is a lie.

A cursed hat that makes wearer believe a non-existent person is behind every calamity that befalls them.

i fucking love this

Fucking genius.

lmao reminds me of the jazzercise key and peele sketch

Wh...

How do you even hold it?

Like a balloon without a string, I'd imagine.

That's fair it's just that being negatively weighed would be extremely buoyant, wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure something with negative weight would just shoot straight into space.

Although I hate to nitpick, it's a neat idea. I've often toyed with the idea of a bag that -always-weighs the same, regardless of what's held inside.

But... if you touch a chess piece you must move it. So you will never know.

Actually no. The since gravitational force includes masses of both objects as multipliers and then to find acceleration you need to divide the force by mass, acceleration from gravity is only dependent on mass of other body. So the best part of sphere of negative mass is that it will be attracted to matter with positive mass while repelling all matter from itself.

So.... magnetic forcefield?

Well that's a better way to interpret it.
I figured since it was negative weight and not mass that it essentially had an opposite gravitational pull- which, given any reasonable amount of 'negative pull' would be difficult to hold.

You need something that would normally repel objects so negative mass object would be attracted to it instead.

Also, I'm pretty sure negative mass object would evaporate because it repels itself.

Weight is a bit different thing (Assuming I don't misuse the term here since I didn't study science in English) - it's how hard you push on your support because of gravity. You probably can't have negative weight.

Negative gravity you can have, and indeed negative mass orb will have negative gravitational interaction with positive mass planet, but again, since force needs to be divided by mass to find acceleration, negative mass orb still will be pulled down. It should have all sorts of weird interactions with other stuff, since it's the only force that is multiplied by negative. Anything that normally holds things back or repel would pull NMR forward and what normally pull forward would repel.

Well... no? An object of negative mass should be go in the opposite direction it is 'pushed' and thus should go upwards.

See in particular the gravitional section below:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_mass

You decide on your move; then if the chessman you touch to make your move is warm, you know that you have a chance of making the best possible move.

>Iron rhubarb

Rhubarb that grows very slowly. When it is picked, it stays as normal rhubard for 24 hours after which it slowly hardens to the strength of iron. It can be left unmodified as a strong club or can be carved into a sword, knife or any sharp edge.

I don't see a difference.

>Marble of geometry
This large marble projects an illusionary line in the direction that the marble will move when flicked and the movements of any marbles it would strike.

>Kings chalice
This golden chalice has a lapis lazuli ring that will turn red if any harmful substance (other than ethyl alcohol) is placed within it.

I'd imagine the development of the King's Chalice would have led to at least one wizard giving up booze.

Probably, except nearly the only drinks safe to imbibe during the typical medieval fantasy setting were alcoholic. Granted purify food and drink does kind of eliminate that risk.

Signet ring of Indecisive power:
This ring more or less appears to be a ring with a pearl of power lodged into it and will detect as such unless the inspector succeeds a DC 30 spell craft check.

When attempting to use the ring to regain a spell already used. the user instead gains a random arcane or divine spell from of the same level any caster list. he does not know about this until he tries to cast the spell, resulting in the random one instead.

If the user learns of the rings abilities he may instead roll a DC 20 will save to have the ring roll three times and the user selects one.

The signet ring comes witha pearl of power III but any pearl can replace it if the user so wishes with an 8 hour ritual. Any pearl of power used in this ring is refeshed once per encounter.

False Hero's Cloak
Gaudy looking cape that seems to exude an intense magical aura. Makes the wearer believe it gives them great power. However, it does no such thing, and every failed attempt to use the cape's power causes the wearer to think that an outside force is stopping them from using the power (antimagic field, special material that nullifies the cape's power nearby, lack of one's own abilities)

Key Under the Rug: a brass key that has 1 charge of Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion. Key disappears upon use. Inscribed on the key is written "If lost, please return to Mordenkainen."

Grimoire of Delicacies: Leather book with 5 charges. You may expend a charge(s) to regain a spell slot, or you may expend 1 charge to instantly conjure any food you're currently craving. The only way to replenish the Grimoire's charges is by preparing a dish it deems worthy.

Sword of Fire Discerning: If you point this sword at something, it will tell you if it's on fire.

>and nowhere else
You could fuck with someone so hard with this

Cursed Collar of Clothes Changing
Leather collar that can reform into any non-armor outfit the user desires. Any other non-magical clothing the user tries to wear gets absorbed into the collar, while any clothing produced by the collar that's removed dissipates and merges back with the rest of the outfit. This includes the collar itself, reforming around the user's neck after any mundane attempts to remove it.

Alternatively: Collar of Controlled Clothes Changing
This item comes with a lock that can't be locked by the person wearing the collar, and must be done by someone else. Once locked, the collar functions as noted above, except the person who locked the collar can also change the outfit, and their will always takes priority over the wearer's

Comically evil or uselessly evil, because there's a bit of difference.
>"Replace the honey nut cheerios bag with the bag of regular cheerios, it's the perfect crime!"
>"I've got a plan, but you'll need fifteen daggers, a bucket of glue, a shovel, and twelve feet of rope."

Everwarm Blanket: This blanket is always just warm enough to be maximally comfortable.

Key of air vault. When stuck into the air with the intent to open the vault this key will open a bank sized vault where the person can store their items in another dimension.

Practical non-combat items are the best.

>Boots of the Steed
>Grants a bonus to movement speed for long distances and a short-range charge attack
>Your footsteps become incredibly loud, making stealth difficult
>Includes a weak healing effect affecting the feet and lower legs. This doesn't cure damage from attacks, but your feet never hurt from walking long distances, and it also keeps your toenails short
>This also gradually shortens your Achilles Tendon, so after a week you won't be able to wear other shoes without a high heel unless you have another source of healing magic

With apologies to the user I stole this from

Crossbow.

It is a crossbow that shoots crosses. Deals radiant damage.

Bagpipe of Invisibility

When being played, the person playing it and all items on their person turns invisible.

Hehehe

Nice

I don't think I have the drawing anymore, but I think the best I ever used was one thought up by Veeky Forums. It was a steel dog's head on the end of a chain, and the mouth opened and there was a bee's nest inside. I called it like, Birniir, the Apiarist's Guard Dog or something like that.

This was D&D 4E, so it was a flail or chain of some kind, and it's enchantment summoned a swarm of bees once per day. You had to leave the flail for one day a week, in a place where the bees can collect pollen or whatever, or it would lose the enchantment.

A mushroom shaped hat that allows you to tap into the mycelium network of fungus by touching them. You can sense everything the fungus and anything connected to the same mycelium senses and can speak with the fungi . It's mostly shitposting, but sometimes mycelium can spread quite far, and you can use the hat to sense things walking on it, it can help you find water or sunlight, you can find out how the weather has been recently, etc.

Yes, but object of negative mass should be pushed away by positive mass object thus divided by negative mass should pull it in.

The stone of mild teleportation.

A small rock that can teleport to the place or near the person it's holder thinks about. It can teleport all objects it is in contact with, but only if they are smaller tham the rock itself

Fedora of provocation. It has fishing hooks attached to it. It descreases WIS but makes enemies look more in your direction. Useful for tanking.

- A med value silver coin that will always return to you after a while. Good for shenanigans
- A ring that weighs 50 kg, possibly found inside a well
- Two pyramid artifacts, blue and red, each the size of your palm. Using one pyramid teleports you to the other. Can throw a pyramid somewhere and use the other one to teleport to it. Can give a pyramid to an ally and teleport to each other. So long as the pyramid is in your physical possession it will teleport with you. Otherwise, it will stay behind if it's on the ground.
- A necklace you can't remove once placed. Forces you to constantly tell the truth (doesn't force you to not lie so a lie of omission is possible).
- A reverse love potion that makes you fall in love with the first humanoid you see (even yourself).
- A cursed cloud in a bottle. If released would follow and rain on you 24/7. Even indoors. Might even lightly zap you if you speak ill against it.
- A stuffed voodoo doll that sucks up your soul with the right magical words and physical contact. Picks up your physical appearance and becomes your new body. The actual body falls like a doll. It remains alive but 'brain dead'. Any damage done to the puppet is done to the body. As the doll, you maintain some capabilities, especially magical. Can be used offensively against you (suspiciously nice doll maker merchant wanting you to hold it), you against someone else (if you wish to extract someone from a secure location for interrogation), heck maybe even use it on yourself and spy on a place sneaking around as a doll.

The size it will likely be would make its anti-gravitational forces undetectable though, like how a volleyball's gravitational pull is undetectable to us.

wait, is it just an infinite watermelon?

-The Sword of Truth
anyone within 5ft has to make a DC15 CHR every 6 seconds or fall under the effects of "zone of truth", once/24 hrs: touch a creature and they have the sudden desire to answer the next question asked, with the intent of providing complete and useful information to the asker, and concern for fulfilling both the letter and intent
-shield of virtue
2 charges
1 charge: perfectly deflect a projectile that is targeting you
2 charges: completely nullify a ranged spell attack that targets you
-wand of lightening
fires a bolt of light that caused up to 5cubic meters to become lighter in shade
-glass sword
shatters on strike, causing the wielder and target to auto-crit
-potion of quenching
a clear fluid that extinguishes up to 10 cubic feet of fire
-diving bell
a brass bell that, upon being rung, allows the wielder to hold their breath for 20 minutes.
-nightstick
a polished hardwood rod, it completely absorbs all light
-edible gold
a strange metal with the same lustre and density as gold, it is soft enough to be chewed and swallowed without harm to teeth or soft tissue. it will pass through the digestive system unchanged. the material is non toxic, and melts at 40C
-13 sided die
an eldtritch object, it manages to have 13 congruent regular sides. anyone who sees it must make a INT saving throw, on a success they may momentarily see it as it is, on a failure they are immediately frightened of the object and refuse to look at it. everyone within 100ft of the dice has disadvantage on all skill checks, saving throws, and attacks. when rolling a natural 1 on an attack or skill check, they immediately drop 1 random object that they are wielding, wearing, or carrying, no matter how implausible.

I've got a few random ones I wrote up a bit ago:

*Eyes-in-the-back-of-your-headband*
A dark cloth headband with two small glass beads sewn into fabric. When worn and activated (command word), the wearer is able to see normally and, simultaneously, in the direction the beads are facing. Specifically, when worn behind the head, the wearer is no longer able to be flanked or sneak attacked. This item will not function on any other part of the body. Give massive migraine if worn too long.

*Slick’s slippery sneakers*
A pair of short leather boots with incredibly soft/fluid-like heels. While worn, the wearer gains a significant bonus to his move silently and becomes unable to fall prone due to slippery surfaces. When activated (touching heels-part of a move action) the bottom of the boots are coated with thick grease (as per the spell) and leaves behind a trail of grease as the wearer moves.

*Ring of ping-pong*
A silver ring with a large pearl inset. When activated the wearer becomes incredibly light and gains a significant DR from bludgeoning. When the wearer’s momentum is increased (from being hit, running, falling, etc) they are able to bounce off of any solid surface without taking damage (limited duration).

*Bracers of hand hiding*
A pair of leather bracers with a faint stitching depicting hands. When worn and upon activation (command word) the bracers emit an animated illusion of the wearer’s hands while turning their actual hands and anything they are holding invisible (limited duration). This allows the wearer to manipulate, hold, or grab objects without detection. The illusion is controlled mentally by the wearer and performs standard movements within reason to appear real.

>Jealous Spear
This spear seems to have an instinctive hatred for other spears: it seeks to be the only spear wielded in the world. Attacks made with this weapon against creatures wielding polearms are made with advantage.

>Greaves of Grass
A pair of battered greaves. The wearer feels compelled to dive to the ground while wearing these, and becomes particularly adept at faking injuries and death.

Bracers of Hand Hiding are dope.

Thanks! Your Jealous Spear actually gave me a really good idea for an animated/intelligent item NPC.

but if F=MA then this means that any force applied to the sphere will cause it to accelerate AGAINST the force that is being applied. This sphere might be immovable.