Solo Dungeoneering Quest

The sun filters through the leaves of the Arcedos Forest on the ruins of an ancient shrine. A dozen columns reach for the sky, some of them shattered. Once they gleamed white, but now they are pitted and dark and overgrown with vines. The roof is long gone at this point. A wall still stands and divides two statues, one with a radiant solar halo and palms facing the heavens. The other has a sculpted moon behind its head, and its palms point toward the earth.

Supposedly, this shrine has a catacomb filled with treasure, but you aren't quite sure how to get it. Ruined walls show a room behind the two statue-filled chambers.

[1] Circle the shrine for a different view
[2] Examine the statues
[3] Check your backpack or pouches
[3] Other

Other urls found in this thread:

d20swsrd.com/swords-and-wizardry-srd/for-players/combat#TOC-Damage-and-Death
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>[3] Other
Pull out my mirror I always keep on me to check out my sweet hairdo.

Also

[3] Check your backpack or pouches

this, specifically checking for an extra pair of socks

Calling it in 5

calling it how? like quitting? i'm paying attention, respond to the responses you got already mr picky

I think he meant calling the vote. Assuming he started writing at around 14 30 he's been writing for ten minutes.

heads up mr. QM man, dropping a WRITING post when you start writing is something players appreciate

Equipment:

On belt: Claw hammer, Hatchet, Dagger, Waterskin (1/2 full)
In pocket: Sling
On backpack: Bedroll, Small sack of (20) sling stones, shovel,coil of 50ft of rope
In backpack: (2) days rations, thief tools, (3) torches, steel mirror, (10) sheets of parchment, small pot of ink, pen, blanket

[1] Circle the shrine for a different view

Also, you say a wall separates them, can you describe that more? Im getting the impression theres a wall in the middle of the room and one statue stands on each side of it but I have a feeling thats not accurate

You sit on one of the moss-covered steps and take out your mirror. With no obvious way into the catacombs of the shrine, you might as well make sure that you look good doing so. There are a few days worth of whiskers on your long angular face. Perhaps a few old coins will be enough for a barber in town. Your long dark hair is tied back in a ponytail to keep it out of your way.

You spot something odd from the scene behind you. There is what appears to be some sort of scrape on the floor near one of the statues.

[1] Examine the scrape
[2] Go to the back room
[3] Other

[1] Examine the scrape

>[1] Examine the scrape

A worshipper might have once entered one of the door to pay homage to either the nameless gods of the sun or the moon. Behind the statues might be where some cleric would have managed the rituals

Writing

You scramble over the statue of what you think is a sun idol. Around the base of the statue there is a semicircular scrape. You open your waterskin and pour a little around the base of the statue and listen carefully.

Success! You hear dripping, which means that there is a basement or some other sort of underground chamber. The question now is how to get there. Maybe the statue and scrape are the answer to the question of how to break into the catacombs.

[1] Try pushing the statue (1d6, best of 3)
[2] Examine the other statue, they seem linked
[3] Examine the iconography, maybe it will have some hint

>[3] Other
Ask the local authority whether the issuing of quests is still contained to one specific area, and why the local law enforment does nothing to uphold their own laws.

>[2] Examine the other statue, they seem linked
Points for being clever.

Writing for lol

You head towards the moon statue and examine it closely. Indeed it too has semicircular scrape marks. You crouch down and put your weight into pushing the leg of the statue. Your grunt and puff, and ever so slowly it rotates until it is facing the wall which separates the two statues. A click from beneath the floor indicates your success.

You return to the other side and push the sun statue and push it in much the same way. It too clicks and the statue sinks into the ground on a platform a man's height in the ground. It is a trivial matter to clamber down, even with your pack and leather armor. There is an arch which leads into an unlit passageway.

[1] Light a torch and enter
[2] Proceed into the unlit passage
[3] Other

>[3] Other
We'll be fine.

We're a dwarf after all.

[2] Proceed into the unlit passage

Are you sure you want a level cap of 6 as a Fighter-Thief?

Eh fuck it sure, shorter quests are better anyway.

No problem.

I'm basically using Swords and Wizardry as a basline ruleset. Writing.

You head into the passage, your dwarven ability to see in the dark taking over and allowing you to see in the dark. You come to a spiral staircase and descend, axe and hammer at the ready. You arrive at a chamber filled with skeletons. Some are gilt with sun iconography and other are plated in silver with similar symbols of the moon. You ponder what sort of worship went on in this place. In each corner of the room, a complete skeleton, skull plated in gold and silver, as been worked into the column supporting the ceiling. The skeletons must be warriors, for they each hold a curved bronze sword.

Most pressingly, you see a bare corpse with a rusting sword on the ground near the stone chest that, partially ajar, glitters with ancient treasure.

[1] Examine the chest
[2] Examine the skeleton of the intruder
[3] Other

>[3] Other
Fight the skeletons.

Unless they're dwarven skeletons.

They're human skeletons.

Also, what do you mean by "fight the skeletons"?

He probably meant "desecrate," of which I second the notion.

Show that corpse who the real boss in this dungeon is.

Detroy.

Grind into dust.

Take their shit of course, but fuck skeletons.

I'm assuming you mean the decorative guards in the corners, right?

The chamber is filled with skeletons? Then I want to destroy and loot every skeleton in the chamber.

The skeletons worked into the columns supporting the ceiling I want to handle last just in case they are part of what's keeping the roof not falling in.

It's like an ossuary, except most of the skulls are decorated.

[2] examine the skeleton has my vote, if this takes too long to figure out

Yeah, fuck it I'll back this at this point

Sorry. I could have been more clear; the idea of posting an image of an ossuary didn't occur at the time.

dont worry user we will take out the skeletons after they animate

I know, I tried to be genre-savvy and get ahead of it, but it's time for 2spooky

You're curious about the fate of this intruder. You crouch down by the skeleton and start to look and feel around for how it might have met its fate. The bones are dry, but you see that its skull has been split open. A sword blow perhaps?

He must have fallen by this treasure chest. But what might have killed him? This is certainly a perilous situation, since this intruder was also seeking treasure.

[1] Stuff as much gold into a sack as possible before something bad happens to you.
[2] Examine more of the shrine's catacombs.
[3] Other

Keep in mind that, whatever you might face, you currently have 8 hit points and an AC of 6 (descending).

I'm going to break for dinner.

I hope that this has been an enjoyable experience so far. I know that I might not be the best writer, but I wanted to run what amounts to an old school D&D quest.

>[3] Other
Check for traps?

Remove all swords from the area.

I'm having fun, hope you enjoy dinner.

To the other posters, I wonder if the semicircular scrapes and pointing of the statues is giving hints on the nature of the traps in this cave.

I'm back. Writing for

You eye the intruder's corpse and eye the guardian skeletons. I perhaps think it would be more prudent to disarm the skeletons. You remove the bronze sword from the clutches of one of the corner skeleton and toss it into the center of the room. You feel a chill and see a skeletal hand reach out for your offending wrist.

>Roll for initiative (1d6, will take best of 3)

[1] Attack
[2] Run
[3] Other

Rolled 4 (1d6)

Rolling skeleton initiative

Rolled 3 (1d6)

>[3] Other

Scream "I fuckin' knew it" as you smash that bitch in the face with a hammer.

literally

Rolled 3 (1d6)

try and yank his skeletal arm off his skeletal body

Are you sure about this? You have 8 hp and there are 4 of them

Rolled 3 (1d6)

Super sure. Let me just roll once more

All of the skeletons step out from their positions decorating the columns pick up their arms and attack. You duck and roll and their swords clang against each other in the space where you once occupied. With your axe and sword in hand, you make ready to do battle.

However, you find yourself fending off their blows. Sometimes you bat away the bronze blades with your hatchet. Other times you try and use the claw of your hammer to disarm or otherwise deflect the blade. One such exchange leaves you vulnerable for one of the gilt skeletons to plunge its sword past your defenses and through your armor.

>Current status: 2hp/8hp

[1] Roll 1d20+1, best of 3 to attack (one of the 3 armed/1 unarmed)

Rolled 17 + 1 (1d20 + 1)

And then cheese it right after we smack one silly.

That'll hit.

We are working on "if you hit zero you're fucking dead, kiddo" rules, correct?

Pretty much.

At 0, you are unconscious. If anything brings you below 0, you are dead.

d20swsrd.com/swords-and-wizardry-srd/for-players/combat#TOC-Damage-and-Death

In spite of the pain, you launch a savage counterattack. You use your hatchet -less useful against skeletons than your hammer- to bat away their blades and cave in the gilt skull of the one of these guardians. The wound from the sword still ails you, and you are forced to draw back and fight more defensively.

>Status 2hp/8hp

[1] Try and fight it out (d20 + 2, best of 3)
[2] Parry (enemies take a -2 penalty on their attack rolls, you don't attack)
[3] Other

In any case, roll 1d6 (best of 3) for initiative

Rolled 6 (1d6)

>[3] Other
Cheese it.

Rolled 3 (1d6)

Skellies

Writing

With your wounds, you know that this is not a fight you want to take part in. You dodge past the blades of the skeletons and make a beeline for the exit. Once you cross the threshold, you look behind to see the skeletons returning to their watchful positions. The one which you had disarmed picks up its blade and too returns to the column, where it becomes one more macabre decoration.

You leave a trail of blood as you make your way up the spiral stairs. As you come up, you see that the statue has returned to its original position. You can see an intricate clockwork mechanism which raises or lowers the statue. Indeed, you are thankfully not stuck, for there is a portal which is now only visible that the statue has returned to the raised position.

You take this path, take a right turn and find yourself in what appears to have once been a larder. While most of the food has turned to dust, there are several bottles of wine in an ancient style on a rack.

"Ssssomeone came! Pleassssse help?" hisses a voice in the dark.

[1] Investigate the room for any other valuables
[2] Investigate the voice
[3] Other

>[3] Other
Sneakily try to locate the speaker without revealing our own location

Cool.

Please roll 1d100, best of 3, to move silently.

Rolled 71 (1d100)

Rolled 2 (1d100)

Writing

Rolled 28 (1d100)

Low better or is high better?

You take care to move quietly as you head towards where you heard the voice. As best you can determine, it comes from behind a locked door. You put your ear to the door and listen: nothing.

"I can hear you, fool," comes a voice - definitely from behind the door.

"What manner of man or beast are you?" you ask.

"I am Kukulkan, and I am a ssserpent."

"I can't say I've met a talking snake before," you say.

"You want treassssure, right? The priestsss trapped me here many, many yearsss ago. I can safely lead you to it."

[1] Ignore the snake and continue to explore
[2] Try and open the door (lockpicking or strength)
[3] Other

High is better. Sorry about delay, dog threw up.

>[1] Ignore the snake and continue to explore

Fuck snakes

As an out of character thing, I like to have something to talk to in the dungeon.

Believing this to be a trap, you ignore the talking snake. You go through the larder and find a door. Behind it, you see glittering gold and silver in the form of chalices and ritual platters once used by the priests here. You can see a closet full of rotting vestments and other stranger tools for the sacraments of this dead civilization.

You take as much as you can stuff into your large sack. Traversing the rest of the catacombs, you seem to have explored everything there is to explore. You find the stairs to a concealed door in the rear room of the shrine.

Loot: Jewel-encrusted Silver Chalice x2, Jewel-encrusted Gold Chalice x2, Silver platter x3 = 150gp

XP = 200 + 150xp = 350/2000xp

You arrive at the gates of Cifigo, where the lord's keep watches over the town from a distant hill. Two mail-clad guards in the yellow and black tabards of this lord's men stop you on the road.

"Name and business?"

"Abram, and I'm looking for someone to appraise some of artifacts from a ruin some leagues yonder."

"Welcome to Cifigo," says a guard and lets you pass.

As you pass, you hear him say "Ya damned greedy dwarf."

>"Ya damned greedy dwarf."

TRIGGERED.

This is the end for tonight. Thanks for a fun thread.

Planning to run again Friday at 5pm Eastern