I'm gonna play an rpg session or 2 with two 7 year old kids. How should I do it? What system is best...

I'm gonna play an rpg session or 2 with two 7 year old kids. How should I do it? What system is best? And if you could be so kind as to link a pdf or srd I'd appreciate it.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxlbDMoNIo95fmlwZVZ1Y3E3YUx6d1RHSjFpUE9nbWRMcF9maUxYenU1VWlCcklQT0tuSGc&usp=sharing
jamesstowe.blogspot.com/2011/09/dnd-for-8-year-olds.html
fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/get-started
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bumping

Lain, you're not old enough to go on Veeky Forums.

Try Fate Accelerated, it's simple and focuses more on roles than rolls. Less math and nitty gritty.

I really don't understand this mentality of having children just so that you can play RPGs with them.

I'm sorry but you are really going to throw away 20 years of your life and nearly a million bucks, just for some romanticized idea of playing roleplaying games with your children? Is it really worth that much to you?

Think what you could buy with that money. A shitton of Maverick 88s and other cool-ass guns. A full-on Lego Stopmotion studio. You'd never have to work again. Just wake up and play with Lego. And play RPGs whenever you wanted. Also the best computer gaming rig in existence.

I mean, what the fuck.

> it's simple and focuses more on roles than rolls

If I had a penny for every RPG that shoves this in your face as an advertising point with no fucking backup, I'd probably be able to afford a child to play RPGs with. But he'd more likely want to go play Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 because kids are wankers.

Holy fuck dude, relax. Go play with your lego or something, geez.

How are you approachig this?
Are the kids rolling PC's or are you handing them sheets? Is this just a one or two shot or are you trying to start a campaign if they like it?

I would go with a d&d basic or OSR clone for simple dungeon crawl style rules. With 7 year olds you could practically freeform it just to get the ball rolling, then gradually introduce more complex rules as the game continues.

I don't do much with Lego. The point is that OP is an utter retard for having kids just so that he can play RPGs with them.

> I really don't understand this mentality of having children just so that you can play RPGs with them.

wtf nobody said that

you dense motherfucker he never said he just had them to play rpgs

They want to roll their own characters but if it's too much of a hassle I can probably convince them to let me roll a few up and they can choose.

I don't have time to play with them often but I can see like some sort of campaign that we visit a weekend every few months, or just a small 1-2 session thing every few months.

I fail to understand why anyone would have children, but whatever. Enjoy losing all your free time, I hope the tax credits are worth it. Whereas I have been gaming for the last twenty years without issue because I don't need to play RPGs with seven year olds to feel intellectually superior.

Are you clinically retarded?

No one said anything about having children to game with them. You brought that up, then felt the need to point out your superiority at table top because you don't have children.

I wish you the best sir.

Play Golden Sky Stories.

He never said they're his in the first place.

Except there is no other good reason to have children. Why would someone on Veeky Forums of all places have kids?

Well then he's probably like a pedophile or something. Why the fuck would you want to play RPGs with kids? They are barely sentient, cannot come up with good characters, and will probably mewl and eat the character sheets while drooling on the dice and screaming to watch TV.

I appreciate the baiter, he's keeping the thread bumped

Freeform.

Or, assuming it's not intended to be a long campaign, simple mecanics resolution like a d6 and minimalist characteristics (like physical/brain/social).
Give them roles and they'll figure out what they can/can't do quite easily.
For beginners up to ten years old, I find it best to concentrate on the adventure rather than the rules, so I don't use complex systems.

But really, freeform.

And enjoy your session, kids usually come with crazy ideas that would put seasoned grognards to shame.
I have fond memories of one of my pupils screaming "there's been a murder. help!" and using the confusion to disappear in the crowd when the city guard found the party sitting next ot a cadaver (that they didn't even kill). The rest of the players were less thrilled.

>I don't need to play RPGs with seven year olds to feel intellectually superior.
Judging by your posts, you probably wouldn't anyways.

Found the user who works at a movie theater.

It depends on the kids you're gonna play with, what they're into and all that.
I once had to DM something for my little sisters and their friends on short notice, did it freeform, had them team up to rescue a prince and then kill each other to determine who would marry him.

They loved it, but your kids might hate it.

play little wizards. literally built for this purpose.

>no other good reason to have children
the continued existence of the human race. or, i dunno, because you want to? also, please stop judging this random dude for having children. he takes much more responsibility than you do, you manchild.

Dont be salty because you'll never be intimate enough with a woman to have kids, the only child you need is yourself

The Vampire: the Masquerade quick-start, where every PC is a Nosferatu.

Or Mouseguard, I guess.

>backstabs for boyfriends
Do tell.

"Monsters and other childish things" and "ryutama" are pretty child friendly.
Monte Cuck also published a child version of his cypher system involving only 1d6 rolls.

F. A. T. A. L is a fun and easy system to learn

topkek

If they like MLP and can handle crunch, there's a Savage Worlds splatbook for MLP that encourages (read: all but mandates) non-violent solutions towards resolving issues.

Savage Worlds on its own is a good system.

Holy shit

They were having a sleepover and the power was being flakey, they came to me for amusement and I proposed the idea, they came up with the prince and their characters while I came up with the dungeon. They go through with it, beat the boss and rescue the prince
>Well done, girls. But a prince can only have one princess, you know?

They take the hint, duke it out, one of my sisters comes out on top, everyone has fun. Power comes back and then we watch a movie.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxlbDMoNIo95fmlwZVZ1Y3E3YUx6d1RHSjFpUE9nbWRMcF9maUxYenU1VWlCcklQT0tuSGc&usp=sharing

Enjoy bud. Should be great for their age range.

> not wanting children means you are poor.

Top key, keep swinging and missing faggot. I'm not rich but I sure ain't poor. I can afford the RPG shit I want, mostly cause I didn't squirt out shit spawn to tear my life apart.

Who gives a shit about the future of the human race? I'll be dead by then, why the fuck do I care?

>the joke

>upper reaches of the stratosphere

>loose balloons released during a church confirmation service

>sign painters

>your head

Don't forget to get upset with this post because you've still failed to get the joke!

Then explain the joke. Probably a reference to one of your gay ass anime movies.

>Genetic dead-ends trying to speak as if they're relevant

A simple, preferrably an exaggerately so, system and no battlemap figs? I expect smaller kids to just to be impulsive and wanna focus on the story/action rather than play tactical 5e WHFB on the hexmap. If there's a combat situation everyone gets one action, do their roll and it's the next person's turn and so on.

It sounds like a very neat concept and it's cool that everyone had fun with it, but those "player elimination" themes will often lead to players widdling their thumbs while their still alive friends are having fun... :/

Nah. Figuring it out will be a good project for you.

jamesstowe.blogspot.com/2011/09/dnd-for-8-year-olds.html

I've been pondering this myself. I have a 7yo Nephew I'd like to get into role playing and I'm fairly certain my preferred system (GURPS) would scare him off. I have a copy of Fate Accelerated that would probably fit the bill better.

Holy shit you're dumb.

Don't. Kids can play pretend without rules. It's artists who need them.

Not if you give them snacks when they die and progressively make the game more stressful and brutal like some form of gladiatorial elimination.

You seem like a popular, pleasant guy and I hope you find a lovely woman who saws off all your limbs, severs your vocal chords and rapes you repeatedly in a deliberate effort to get pregnant, you selfish piece of shit.

bump

Even when they're little girls are terrifying

Maybe this will help, my brothers are too young and too old to test it, maybe it will work for you

I have an adventure time unofficial game, is rules light and seemed interesting and playable for a 7 years old. When I get home I will post it.

Also Check Ryuutama

Not the same user, but I have the pdf

That's the one, yup

>Someone makes a thread simply asking about a good system to play with children
>Probably just wants to have some fun family time and share his/her hobby with them
>This entire thread ensues
What the hell is wrong with you, guys? Can't we just have a nice, comfy thread for once without autism or shitposting or any of that crap??

Listen, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but OP obviously can't have been implying he's having kids in order to play tabletop games with them. He said the kids were 7 and implied he'd be playing relatively soon.

Your scathing personality is what makes us /nokidz/ people look crazy.

bemping

Well, I'll check if I have other systems that can be used to play with children

I think children are far too immature mentally and socially to enjoy roleplaying, but if you are going to do this then don't start them off with brain-cancer-inducing D&D.

>I think children are far too immature mentally and socially to enjoy roleplaying

>Cops and robbers
>Doctor
>Play-fighting

How does it feel to be so demonstrably wrong?

Clearly I was talking about the roleplaying that OP is asking about, the kind with deliberate and complex structure.

Presumably the reason he was asking about a good system to use was so that it wouldn't be too complex and structured for them.

Try something like Deponia RPG or Sea Dracula for more lulz

Assuming you are you are so off the mark about what OP said that I'm surprised you came back to this thread at all. Dude just wanted a good system for kids and you started raving about costs of child rearing.

I'd try reading over FATE Accelerated and see if you'd be interested in this. 6 stats, and basic descriptors form a character and it's 4d6 working on a ladder from -2 to 8. Seems simple enough for younger groups and flexible enough to let them bullshit however they want too.

Here's the srd for that too: fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/get-started

I'm not that guy, I just don't think children can actually enjoy a real roleplaying game, and more importantly, that if OP is introducing someone to the hobby then he should ensure it is not via D&D.

> Children can't enjoy a game of imagination
Ok.

Yep, that's the one.
More player, more fun but kids like to move and can come up with crazy storys. No rolls, no math (7 year olds still learn to add, so no frustration here)

>D&D is cancer
This meme needs to end.
I get it, you don't like D&D. Personally I've found the black box or D&D 5e Basic to be an excellent intro to ttrpg's and, outside Veeky Forums, have never met a single person that regretted learning the system. Sure there are better, but for a one or two off game, D&D would work just fine.

D&D is cancer, that's not a meme. People that play D&D have brain damage, and seriously cannot play anything else. This board is dominated by these sorry apes, but it's blatantly obvious that their minds don't work in the way they should. Just look at how Veeky Forums understands a character: RACE/CLASS/ALIGNMENT. D&D isn't even a real RPG, it's a wargame with some flavor text. People that enjoy D&D are not roleplayers, and those that think D&D is suited to roleplaying have something akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

It really is like some kind of disease or poison that turns the brain to mush.

Mekton. If they get past chargen, they're savants.

Dude I'm a GURPSfag and even I have to say you're full of it. You don't want rigid classes, go classless. You don't want miniatures, don't bring them out. The whole point of role playing is to do it the way you want. And if Veeky Forums is too D&D dominated for you either hide the threads, ignore them, or leave. Nobody is forcing you in a thread that first suggested an Evil Hat system and has been pretty all over the range to bring your hateboner for D&D into here.

>You don't want rigid classes, go classless. You don't want miniatures, don't bring them out.

I agree if you dont want to play dnd dont play dnd.

My game was originally made for kids, so it should be a perfect fit

>tg uses Race/Class/Alignment to describe characters in a system that describes characters by using the subcategories:Race, Class, Alignment

I like you user. You're silly.

The point was that Veeky Forums uses these to describe all characters regardless of system.

>Describing a character quickly and effeciently using a well known and understood method
>bad

I suppose you prefer police reports stating the suspect is a Taurus who likes long walks on the beach.

That manner of shallow, mechanical description of a character belies the wargaming logic that really defines the average D&D player.

In truth they are not interested in roleplaying, they are interested in combat encounters, which is good for them because that's what D&D is all about, but they are not really part of this hobby; instead they are like a savage neighbor, who constantly assaults you and your guests, creates a huge ruckus every evening, and is under federal investigation as a dangerous cult.

Ok user, we understand that DnD raped your property and burned your family, now calm the fucking down. If you don't like the system, just don't play it.

I'm also don't like DnD, think he has several flaws, and I think we have systems that make it proposes better, and still don't think the solution is to be shaking his fist furiously to the monitor. Instead, why not stay on topic, and help OP?

Tried BESM?

Also, OP, I have this. I think it's aimed at slightly younger kids, but it worked for my daughter and her friend (they're five)

But dnd is the devil user, and I should let everyone know how superior I am because I refuse to play dnd.

Also dont have kids. Kids are awful.