EDH/Commander general

Giga-Green edition

>RESOURCES

mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

manabasecrafter.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

>CARD SEARCHING

gatherer.wizards.com/
>Official search site. Current for all sets.

magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-05-16-tasigur-the-golden-fang-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ship-parts-and-a-beautiful-mechanic/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What deck can I build to dick over Planeswalkers?

Tormented soul + unholy strength, if that's even legal in this format, which I honestly don't give a fuck about. I stopped playing Magic years ago when I realized the only balanced formats completely neutered the game.

Mycosynth Lattice + Artifact destroyers

that's... a really uninformed statement

If I bring one of the precon decks to my LGS Thursday night commander event, how badly will I be shit stomped?

It's not like your statement contains any counter to my criticisms.

Modern is full of T3 win decks, the games last 4 minutes a piece and the best decks have been solved already by countless hours of nerds poring over MtG cards on the internet to discover the best combos.

Standard is full of garbage mechanics and a 300 dollar entry fee.

Legacy is some other shit.

EDH/Commander is literally the only balanced format from what I've seen, and it has to have retarded rules just to work properly.

Any deck that is good at early beat down can take out planeswalkers well

>Modern is full of T3 win decks
I don't play a lot of Modern, but isn't the turn 4 rule kind of fundamental to the format? If Modern was full of turn 3 wins it'd be busted

Just got the red artifact precon deck, where should i start making improvements from here?

Not them, but I think they were just exaggerating. The point stands: modern has the decks that work and that's about it. Commander is the only mode with a variety of decks and "no" turn 4 win.
Not that you can't have fun in modern, but that's what their point was.

Better mana rocks, Squee, Forge Master. Look up Daretti on Edhrec. If you want to build Feldon, he's on there too.

Wheels

Planning on transforming some decks:
>Bruna
Not feeling the whole one-trick-pony vibe of Bruna. I was thinking either Jenara or Uril for Auratron with traditional Enchantress shenanigans as a Plan B.
>Jor Kadeen
Planning on either making Alesha hatebear/stax or Ephara Hatebears. Leaning towards Alesha.
>Mishra
I love Mishra chaos effects, but the deck generates a lot of mana but doesn't have any ways of using it. Planning on ditching Black and just use Nin or Niv-Mizzet v.2.

Thoughts on who I should go for?

>Jor Kadeen
I was actually going to make one of these decks. Is it fun? What kind of tech are you running?

Kurkesh and Strionic Resonator

I like Jor Kadeen but I've really been preferring Brion in my games.

It uses an Equipment package, 4 X&Y (sans Body/Mind) swords, Sunforger, Jitte, Battleskull, and a few others. And a boat ton of Hatebears. Red hate effects include Blood Moon and its Magus, Price of Glory, Keldon Firebombers, and Ruination. White creatures are pretty much any typical hatebear and/or Equipment-centric dude.

It does use MLD, reason because you're playing Jor Kadeen so you are going to run a lot of mana rocks.

The curve is also very small, but it compliments the constant Equip cost payments. My only three 6-drops are Sun Titan, Aurelia, and Catastrophe.

I'm kinda disappointed Odric didn't just copy every keyword instead of the specific ones, not only would it shorten the text on the card, but it would allow Mono-White to have a decent weenie commander.

Other than that though, how is he looking so far? I really like him as a character and I want to try make a deck with him.

Sheldon did nothing wrong

Also: The reason why I'm benching Jor Kadeen is because while he is a good general, I feel like he's far better as a token general then a hatebear. With Alesha I can have a far easier time swinging face and making sure my Hatebears stick around more often.

Ephara is something I wanted to use as a hatebear general but Alesha lists appeal to me.

Yeah. Especially how he doesn't copy Protection which is kind of bullshit.

I made a list of mainly stuff that looks good on paper and will test it out this Sunday. Basically it's part Soldier Tribal, part relevant Angels, and part Equipment based. The whole theme is to share all Equipment bonuses onto all of my creatures while getting the card advantage from it.

Even the Swords are in there because I do run Concerted Effort in there. Plus, F+I and F+F are too good to pass up.

>I'm kinda disappointed Odric didn't just copy every keyword instead of the specific ones
How would you word it though? Giving all critters all static abilities you control could make a giant mess.

I'm looking on building a deck around Odric. I built a simple one I slapped together in an hour before game night, but it doesn't really work too well. All I ended up doing was putting a shit load of low creatures with flying/vig/first strike and then a bunch of equipment to give everything all the other delicious key words. Am I focusing on the wrong things?

>Giving all critters all static abilities you control could make a giant mess
They've already referenced activated and triggered abilities on cards. Odric is rare so NWO shouldn't apply, so I don't see why they couldn't simply change it to reference all static abilities (or even just 'keyword' since this is new territory).

I was actually going to make r/w tokens, so that works for me. I don't have a heck of a lot of hatebears, but I was going to focus on a more removal and burn setup. I was thinking about having the deck be mostly colourless, burn-based removal, motherfucking Hellrider and things that hit the ground running, like Thunderblust and Urabask. R and W are my two weakest colours, so hopefully I'll find something workable.

Yeah I mean giving all kinds of static abilities to everyone. They probably do like they did out of fear of creating endless loops that end the game in a draw.

Ehhh, I think you're doing good with flying and vigilance. Everyone knows flying is good but vigilance is underrated and paired up with flying makes your dudes fucking a pain to deal with. I think things like silverblade paladin, kor duelist, and mirrodin crusader will help, generally I would push for double strike over first strike even though it's cheaper to get access to.

Odric is weird, there's no real win condition with him other than aggressive combat pushes. Just find the right dudes and equipments for keywords and pump them with anthems I guess.

Perhaps refer to it as a 'keyword ability' like it does so in the rules comprehension? As opposed to static ability? I mean this is something that hasn't been done before so it is pretty much open to speculation, there are no existing cards which conflict with it.

>At the beginning of each combat, creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn if a creature you control has first strike. The same is true for other keyword abilities (flying, deathtouch, double strike, haste, etc.)

i think they were simply covering their bases

not only are there already some keywords that might be dangerous with odrics ability, like myriad, by limiting his ability only to the keywords on his list, they can feel free to create very pushed keywords in the future and not worry about those being abused in a corner case by a strange card like odric

Yeah. He's my dick around fun time commander. Not something I use when that fucking guy pulls out his Ob demon tribal.

Sidenote: I need a deck that can deal with that dickery.

first strike isnt that good, i would say odric is nigh unplayable without a double strike focus

flying and vigilance are good too thuogh, definitely

Myriad is a triggered ability though, isn't it?

It was just an example. I've got death touch stuff in their too, was just listing things.

There* now that's a weird autocorrect.

i was replying to the guy who suggested "the same is true for other keyword abilities"

myriad is a keyword ability

youre right that it is a triggered ability though

Myriad would simply make a copy of the original creature without all the additional keywords. I see what you're saying, but I don't think any of the common keywords you see around wouldn't break Odric unless you made a convoluted combo dedicated to it (like Conspire shenanigans for example). It just feels like a waste. Even if there were some crazy combos out there, would you really be opposed to a Mono-W commander making waves for a change?

i gotcha, i was just expressing my view that double strike is the most important keyword for an odric deck, or perhaps tied with flying, really you want them both at all times, flying/double strike is so powerful that it makes odric viable even though he's got an uphill battle in his design

Yeah. Like I said, dickery fun times commander. Not the one to deal with Ob or Dragons tribal guy.

i like the design decision if only because i genuinely think shit would get confusing with every static ability

but im not claiming he would be broken, im just explaining the reasoning of the design team, they were playing it safe

For Odric, I do agree that Double Strike/Vigilance/Flying should be the main focus. The only First Strike sources I see myself using are Akroma and her own Sword of Vengeance. Haste is also something I value in a token deck, especially since Lightning Greaves/Swiftfoots are necessity in any deck.

Indestructible opens up some interesting situations, like Myojin of Cleansing Fire sweeping everyones field but your own, or a Wrath of God at your second end step. Because of this, Odric reminds me a lot of Iroas. The difference is that Iroas has a more reliable effect, while Odric is less reliable with the potential of being more impactful.

Cumulative upkeep is a keyword ability. Echo is a keyword ability, Fading is a keyword ability. Flashback, Madness and Morph are keyword ability.

Hell, Haunt is and Soulbound are. Imagine going into combat, one of your dudes dying and then you suddenly have Odric haunting your commander.

MTG just doesn't do that sort of thing. There's a reason every single one of these types of cards just lists a fuckton of whatever keywords happened to be evergreen at the time.

I know you're right user, I'm simply venting because I would have loved to use Infect with this guy. I'm not even bothered about Myriad or Conspire for that matter.

I think infect would've been very sweet but since it's a shadows over innistrad card, maybe they didn't want to use any keywords that don't appear in the new set?

Also another case of covering their bases, infect gives people the feelbads so introducing infect support is unfortunately unlikely

Wasn't horsemanship a keyword?

It is a Keyword still.

It is. It is still a keyword. But Horsemanship would work perfectly fine with Odric. I wanted to point out situations where it would be unintuitive and in some cases, valid but completely useless.

I know what Horsemanship is but I don't get this comic

a silly comic of various mtg creature riding a horse?

I personally thinking dodging flying creatures with Avacyn via horsemanship would be fucking hilarious

I really hope the WURG legend this year can at least somewhat synergise with Soulfire Grand Master and Tamanoa, I've always wanted to use them together but that damn hybrid mana rule has always prevented me doing so.

Just being silly. MTG doesn't get good comics.

>Search Avacyn
>Search any Goblin
>Search Fog Bank
>Search any Griffon
>Search Leviathan
>Search any Centaur

I just want another Tarmanoa.

And I don't give a shit about sorceries and instants with lifelink, I want a god damn Naya card that gives that shit to Planeswalkers, Artifacts and Enchantments.

Why not both? Whilst lifegain doesn't stack, Tamanoa's does due to it's wording. Giving the occasional Instant and Sorcery lifelink with the ability to recur them is nothing to scoff at.

That being said if they did remake Tamanoa, the modern version would in fact have lifelink unfortunately.

>gain life
>in edh

why

Because I like that being Tarmanoa's schtick. Doing what they did to Guilder Bairne with Vorel was nice in one ways, but I don't want it to become a habit.

Fun.

It doesn't affect the board in any way and doesn't help you win except in pure beatdown matchups.

thats not really true

idk why /edh/ has this meme where lifegain is literally useless, pointless exaggeration

lifegain lets you pay more life for effects like sylvan library, and it also ensures that your opponent has to assemble a truly dominant position to win, in a competitive meta its actually quite common for a combo deck to not be able to assemble a full combo due to disruption but still be able to win by clutching out those last life points

also many many decks have beatdown as part of their deck despite it not being the only thing their deck does, especially control type decks, and lifegain helps against them, so the idea that it only helps in "pure" beatdown matchups is stupid

I play in playgroups where I lose by hitting 0 life. And again, I didn't say good, I said fun. People like big numbers.

Or you could fill these slots with cards that develop your game plan instead of delaying your loss by a turn or two. I can count in one hand the number of times I've actually had to gain life in a match and it actually mattered.

I do too, and big damage > big heals!

I actually have a lot of games where both players end up at less than ten life and my bit of life gain (Blood Artist, Whip of Erebos, etc) helps me survive.

Anyway, my point about big numbers is that you can much much easier get huge numbers of life over damage. An effect that deals two damage would probably gain you about 8 life, if they are both costed similarly. So, if you are evaluating it purely on a endorphin psychological level, life gain has better returns.

The precons are actually pretty competent. You probably won't win but you can most likely stay in the game for awhile

i dont put anymore than one card in a deck that only gains life, because there are plenty of ways to gain life that also do something else good, i.e. gray merchant of asphodel, or creatures that have lifelink

all im saying is that the lifegain isnt useless and it matters quite often

just because youre a shit-eating faggot who insists on exaggerating doesnt mean im going to bow down to your supposed elite competitive playgroup knowledge

the majority of games ive played in, life totals have mattered. its not the most important factor in any game, but the only times it doesnt matter at all is if the combo player wins from a completely stalled boardstate

Fucking Defender is a keyword ability. Now there's some anti-synergy for you.

W
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant enchantment
Enchanted enchantment has lifelink

One day...

I have a cool idea for WUBR

"Instants and sorceries you control have linklink and deathtouch.
Whenever a creature dies, if it was targeted by a spell you control this turn, draw a card"

I cast electrickery and draw my library.

>Targeted
Nevermind.
Still crazy powerful though.

I swear people who don't include at least some amount of life gain in their decks never have to play against shit like Purphuros. I'm not saying use shit like Healing Salv, but something with some life tacked onto it is usually helpful. Hell, even Primal Command gave me enough life to life another turn Simon could win.

Maybe take away deathtouch then, since lifegain and caring about creatures dying is still well within black's range.
Essentially I want to make a burny-er spellslinger that's less about durdling and extra turns and more about wrecking creatures for value. It definitely feels very anti-green.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-05-16-tasigur-the-golden-fang-edh/

Give me some advice or hate it.

I love how the effect never goes away

Is he worth investing in?

Not a deck, but this card can work well.

>Using Zedruu to gift an Odric 2.0 with a Defender

Holy shit I want to do this now

Odric doesn't say any keyword, and Defender is part of the kit he can give.

There is such a stigma towards lifegain because people are shitters and think Commander Damage will always be relevant or the highest life total guy will be the first to take down.

Simply put: Life is a resource, and that's where it shines.

I've seen this like three times in multiple threads. Here's your reply.

He's fun if you want a thematic general. Not great as a voltron general since he lacks evasion. He /is/ good for a beginning player in EDH.

Fuck you're right. Bummer

He can't give defender, read the card.

Looks fun. Lots of fun little cards. Not a lot of synergizes with Delve, but eh. Sidisi might be a better fit given the number of creatures you are running. Usual removal suite. I recommend Echoing Truth or Into the Roil over Disperse. Stratus Walk seems out of place. Naturalize could stand to be a Krosan Grip or something. Not enough spell ramp. No ways of sacrificing Demonic Pact, I recommend something like a Claws of Gix so you don't have to use your removal. Could use a few more good utility cards like Acidic Slime or Mulldrifter.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ship-parts-and-a-beautiful-mechanic/
Could I have suggestions for cuts and maybe adds? I really can't decide.
Oh, and yes, I'm going to get academy rector and Serra's sanctum, no fear.

>Life is a resource, and that's where it shines
Can you explain this to my group please? I get mad shit for running fetches and shocks in my Sedris deck, not to mention all the pay life effects in there, and then they get pissy when I win with a Hatred where I paid 20+ life, copied for every creature on my board using Fork effects

You could do a kardashian-themed deck where every creature has an enormous butt. That would be hilarious.

What are some commanders a newbie can use to get into the format?

>I've seen this like three times in multiple threads. Here's your reply.

Thanks that really helps me improve my deck.

I've been thinking of using mulldrifter in place of some other cards. I might change it to more sacrifice, I would run a different if I had another BUG but tasigur is my only one.

newbie to magic or to the format?

what interests you in magic/commander?

that would help to know to give you a recommendation

>Tasigur

You're better than this, user

Did you post in the last thread a couple times? I like your tenacity.

The deck's not great, but I like it! You're playing some "bad" cards like Carrier Thrall and Bounding Krasis, but they can be good too in the right deck. Cards that strike me as so bad they're unplayable:
Indulgent Tormentor
To the Slaughter
Manic Scribe
Rakshasa's Disdain
Shamble Back
Demonic Pact
Warped Landscape
Marang River Guide (just buy a Reassembling Skeleton mang)
Talent of the Telepath (not terrible but it feels unnecessarily risky. May I recommend Spelltwine? I have a spellslinger deck which does very little milling and it's still one of my favorite cards in it)

Seems that your deck likes ETB and sacrificing creatures. May I recommend:
Birthing Pod
Shadows of the Past
Bane of Progress
Victimize
Tectonic Edge
Corpse Augur
Mulldrifter

Once you're on the dilu horse, you're on until you die.

Works really well with sunny elspeth, as you can easily fill a deck with creatures with huge toughness and small power.

I want to play commander but all the decks I find are really expensive. What are some budget EDH decks/commanders that are on the cheaper side?

you can start by buying a commander Pre-con

I get what you mean by those being bad cards. I just wanted to get a gauge on what I could improve on, by luck most of those cards you suggested I have. I will try them out and see if I have similar cards to the ones I lack

I like Anafenza more, but whatever floats your goat

Hi Anons, I'm back with my with my extreme budget EDH deck. Actually, I don't have a deck yet but at least I decided to abandon Karametra idea and stick with soldiers. I want to build WR soldier deck around Iroas or Tajic shame Anya or Kalemne would be useless as commander in this deck - they look neat and costs 6 times less than Iroas
Anyway, I have Elspeth deck from Duel decks set - which cards should I pick from it? They all look useful but that's probably just lack of deckbuilding skill

Last session some friends suggested if we try having non 2014 commander planeswalkers as commanders. How much would it change the tempo if we actually agreed to this?

bad.

I feel the planeswalker commanders were toned down a bit compared to some other planeswalkers.

Any planeswalker as a commander could be pretty awful

I don't see the problem with TMS as a commander.

>T1 Island, Sol ring
>T2 Island, TMS
>T3 ????
>T4 Profit

See, no issue!

I don't think it would be too bad
Arlinn could get a little suspect, and any green one really with their access to doubling season could be nasty.
I guess this is one of the only times you can try and judge a planeswalker based on their ultimate.