A thread dedicated to discussion and feedback of games and homebrews made by Veeky Forums regarding anything from minor...

A thread dedicated to discussion and feedback of games and homebrews made by Veeky Forums regarding anything from minor elements to entire systems, as well as inviting people to playtest your games online. While the thread's main focus is mechanics, you're always welcome to share tidbits about your setting.

Try to keep discussion as civilized as possible, avoid non-constructive criticism, and try not to drop your entire PDF unless you're asking for specifics, it's near completion or you're asked to.

Useful Links:
>Veeky Forums and /gdg/ specific
1d4chan.org/
imgur.com/a/7D6TT

>Project List:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/134UgMoKE9c9RrHL5hqicB5tEfNwbav5kUvzlXFLz1HI/edit?usp=sharing

>Online Play:
roll20.net/
obsidianportal.com/

>RPG Stuff:
darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/freerpgs/fulllist.html
darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/theory/
therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=21479
docs.google.com/document/d/1FXquCh4NZ74xGS_AmWzyItjuvtvDEwIcyqqOy6rvGE0/edit
mega.nz/#!xUsyVKJD!xkH3kJT7sT5zX7WGGgDF_7Ds2hw2hHe94jaFU8cHXr0
gamesprecipice.com/category/dimensions/

>Dice Rollers
anydice.com/
anwu.org/games/dice_calc.html?N=2&X=6&c=-7
topps.diku.dk/torbenm/troll.msp
fnordistan.com/smallroller.html

>Tools and Resources:
gozzys.com/
donjon.bin.sh/
seventhsanctum.com/
ebon.pyorre.net/
henry-davis.com/MAPS/carto.html
topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp
www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/demo.html
mega.nz/#!ZUMAhQ4A!IETzo0d47KrCf-AdYMrld6H6AOh0KRijx2NHpvv0qNg

>Design and Layout
erebaltor.se/rickard/typography/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4qCWY8UnLrcVVVNWG5qUTUySjg&usp=sharing
davesmapper.com

Other urls found in this thread:

buddingheroes.com/guide/combat/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I am working on a generic system that is meant to be rules lite but crunchy.

I am thinking of using a d12 mechanic. I know that is more "random" but I don't really like the predictability of 2d6. Plus 1d12 has the number handle stat plus skill well.

Stats will go -1 to +3, you get Vitality (basically hit points) equal to 10 plus Strength, or 5 plus strength for really lethal games. Average people have 5 plus Strength hp.

A dagger would deal 1d4
A one handed weapon deals 1d6
A two handed weapon deals 1d8

A pistol deals 1d8
A rifle or shotgun deals 1d10
A shotgun will give +1 to hit with buckshot, I liked that rule from savage worlds, but it was broken in SW in my opinion.

I'm planning to have as few modifiers as possible. My biggest concern is bookkeeping , especially for large battles. I'd use a toughness system, but pcs Ina lethal game would be either alive or dead, whereas a small number of hp would be lethal but at least there'd be detail beyond up or down like in Savage Worlds.

Basically I want a game that can handle heroic and gritty gameplay in the same system. Probably a doomed endeavor but i appreciate your ideas.

Are hit points a big drag in large battles? This system would be used for a zombies game fighting huge hordes as its first play test. I'd use savage worlds but characters are too durable, and the system is weird for zombie bits (like, if you get bitten, it has to do enough damage to shake you, even though any bite would infect)

How would you make a game with 5 to 15 range stats like DnD and GURPS without resorting to derived bonuses or roll under system?

Are derived stat bonuses like DnD has, an acceptable sin?

>Pendragon Corp
>Makes cybernetic arms named after the Knights of the Round Table

I think this is a badass idea. Who doesn't want to strap on the Gallahad and throw down with robots?

Consider making the raw scores important as well as the modifiers. A good idea might be to use the scores themselves for derived stats (obviously) as well as passive checks.

For instance, if someone is actively searching for something, obviously you add the attribute and skill modifiers to determine success. However, if they do something passively or out of reflex (avoiding a previously unseen trap, noticing someone sneaking up on you, etc), use the raw score + relevant skill to serve as either the DC an NPC or other character has to beat or just treat it as though that's how high the player rolled for checks against a DC. Using raw attribute scores for attribute checks can help as well.

Previous thread

Wanted to respond to Space Opera Man's reply.
I'm thinking of borrowing the idea of Lunar Caskets from Night Wizards somewhat.
The realms overlap in little pockets here and there. The heroes and survivors may wander into little bubbles where one realm is superimposed onto another. The boundaries of the game map are actually the boundaries of these reality bubbles.
Maybe each realm has a table of terrain effects dictating the physical laws of the battlefield, where items on those tables represent levels of that realm.

On another note, I should not get too far ahead of myself and revise the classes before I even see how they do in the playtest. But I have ideas already.

>Class Utility Skills
In addition to the general utility skills already included in the rules, each class gets its own utility skill unique to that class. At character creation you get two utility skills. You can take the unique utility skills from each of your classes or you can swap those out for general utility skills of your choice.

>The Demiurge Class
Demiurge is supposed to be a front-line support class. I'm thinking of gearing them even more toward elemental damage, resistance, and vulnerability. I want to move most of the Jack/Hellion's skills to the Demiurge.

>Random Chargen
Players should be able to make all decisions in character creation randomly, but they should not be forced to make all decisions in character creation randomly. Procedural generation here is meant as a starting point to help players when they are indecisive.

With d6 dice pools! Like Shadowrun!

Posting a link, because I'm on my phone and don't want to re-copy that question over There's got to be a middle ground, I like dice pools, but 15 is a lot.

Nah, it's normal. You won't call 5 dice a "dicepool", will you?

I do, but I don't know Shadowrun. Most of the games I follow, smaller dice pools are the trend.

Dice pools usually cap out around 20 in Shadowrun. And if aren't rolling 20 dice for your primary skill, you'd damned well better find a way to pull some dice out of your ass! ;)

Yeah, Shadowrun really takes the dice pool mechanic to an extreme, but there's something satisfying about rolling coffee-mugs full of d6's at a time.

Budding Heroes again, here's the PDF for those that missed it last time.

I'm about half done translating the full beta rulebook to a simple HTML page, and I have the details of most of my combat system and status effects online.

What do you think of the status effects and stuff? Health drain is my personal favorite description since it nudges players to steal health from unwilling allies, though chain attacks acting like chain lightning can lead to fun.

Corruption is a new status effect I made while writing out the page, I don't know how I missed that one when writing the original book. I can totally see a boss battle centered around it, where the boss has a regen of like a d20 for most rounds or something and it's up to you to activate Corruption for the whole arena and make sure you don't trigger your own regen accidentally

I'm dumb and forgot the link: buddingheroes.com/guide/combat/

Minmaxer spotted.
12 dice for primary skill is enough. Look at who you are supposed to fight, even red sams don't have crazy dicepools.
The problem with shadowrun (among other things) is that nothing really stops you from going crazy with combining bonuses and such, even in karmagen.

>but there's something satisfying about rolling coffee-mugs full of d6's at a time.
Don't have to tell me, used to play horde Orks years ago.

Hey guys. Last thread I posted a game that was suppose to simulate smash bros but on the table top.
I got 1 reply and i'm intrested if there are more people who would be willing to look at my rules and give me some advice.

Oh crap forgot pdf

Bumping with a quick comment, just that the stat block is pretty cool but the #s on the dice are kinda small in places. I'll try to give more advice tomorrow but I don't want this thread to die.

Would love to hear it! I'm going to sleep as well so hopefully the thread won't die till then.
I havn't added the item rules yet but i'll definetly need to have a drawn example of an item card before hand.
Either way this will definetly allow players to play a no item match.
I was thinking after I fine tune everything i'd work on expansions like classic mode and other smash game modes.

I have stats from 1-10 in a d10 system. It kinda works because 10 is always the target number.

I will when I'm back at my computer. Hopefully the thread will still be alive by then.

So, I've been trying around with two different game systems lately, and figured I would see if one of them was viable and where to take it.

For a system that resolves everything through poker style or blackjack style mechanics, no dice, what sorts of settings or themes might fit (besides wild west)?

Gangsters and spies, at least in the James Bond sense.

So /gdg/, when it comes to starting characters what sort of success percentage do you like to see for average (not high heroic, noyt low grimdark) characters? 40/50/60% for trained? What about untrained? I'm trying to find the balance between feeling useful, having room to advance, and maintaining a chance for failure and I'd like to hear your preference.

I think it should depend on the task. If it's easy, then it should be about 75% for a character who's dead average (no special attributes, just enough training to be competent but not enough to be special), 50% for an "average" task, 25% for a hard task, and much, much lower for anything more difficult than that.

is there like a generic spell list?

D&D wiki is full of generic ones. Just rename em.

Been a while, /gdg/

Trenchbreaker's been on the backburner for a while, due to getting ready to move and working on the novel in the same setting, but I got a bit of inspiration last week, and started reworking the infantry rules.

So, infantry fight in teams, but these teams aren't chosen as part of your list like 40k, Bolt Action, and the like. Instead, you have a few Team Leaders(NCOs and Officers) and anyone in their Command Radius is part of their team, so teams can vary as men and officers die and shift around.

When a team of infantry fights another team in melee, every model in the team adds its melee stat together, adds a die roll for random chance, and you compare your total number to the enemy's total number; whoever gets higher wins, and wipes out the enemy team(I chose to go for all or nothing melees because trench warfare is brutal like that.)

When a team of infantry shoots at another team, you add up everyone's ranged stat, plus a d12, and compare your total number to the number of models in the target team; for every 2 you beat the enemy's model total by, you kill one model.

Do these rules sound good?

You have 3 stats- body, mind, voice that go 1-10 .Which feels better to you?
1. Your stats average 5. having a related adjective "fast, strong etc" allows you to add it to a check Otherwise, you have to spend 'mana' to add it.
2. Your stats average 2-3 but you always add them to checks. Having a related adjective "fast, strong etc" adds an additional +2.
3. Your stats average 5. having a related adjective "fast, strong etc" allows you to add it to a check Otherwise, you it only adds half.

Why would you use unrelated quality for tests? First option seems right.