What is the best way to run a military campaign (modern or otherwise), Veeky Forums?

What is the best way to run a military campaign (modern or otherwise), Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

neopets.com/neopedia.phtml?neopedia_id=234&criteria=
neopets.com/neopedia.phtml?neopedia_id=43&criteria=)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You want your side to win, or at least to have the other side lose.

I have to say Only War, though it's my only experience with any military campaigns of the sort, I'm afraid.

>he doesn't want his side to lose and experience the horrors of an enemy occupation
weak.

I'd argue pic related it really the only way to handle it. It removes the chain of command, so the PCs can act on their own initiative, and there's much more to do than just constant shooting and not much else.

3:16 Carnage is where its at.

2 stats. Fighting Ability, and Not Fighting Ability. Highest FA is the corporal, highest NFA is the Lt. Everyone else gunts and obeys orders. The trick is to get the Lt. killed without disobeying orders. Maybe kill some bugs too.

Abstracted combat grid as a motion tracker a'la Aliens, everyone's narrative interludes are flashbacks.

Easy to put together for pickup games, or longer campaign play.

Small units, raids, ambushes, assassinations.
In my opinion it's best to avoid the throwing hundreds of guys at stuff, since that'd be boring to players. Least I'd find it boring. If I wanted to run a war I'd play EU4 or AoE.

There was a Stargate SG-1 game based on the Spycraft rules that handled it in an interesting way.

> female soldier

Dropped. Sorry I don't play blatantly unrealistic garbage.

seconding this
Also, always make sure the players know there are stakes to their targets on a mission, and that it's not "game over" unless ALL the mission parameters are broken. Make sure things are dynamic, and that there are multiple objectives.

Hold up there, /pol/

Ok what the FUCK is it with the female soldiers? These are old games before the SJW takeover, why have they got this blatant pandering bullshit in the cover art???

I'd play it like LRRP squads from 'nam. Drop them into enemy territory with some vague idea if an objective (ie. Kill an amount of bad guys, report on enemy strongholds, destroy assets at x location, etc) and just let them loose. Plenty of opportunity for RPing with the locals, they have tangible effects on the world (you blew up that fuel depot, so they couldn't get armour to support a defense against our most recent attack or something to that effect) and depending on how your players want to go about it, these missions could last a few hours in game, to a couple weeks. It leaves a lot of room for your players to pursue targets of opportunity (or personal objectives) while still doing plot stuff

No baitu-chan, I can't take it!

And worse case? They fail their objective and come home. And takes the next operation. Sure, failing the op is bad, but unless it's something super important it's not a campaign ending failure, it just makes things harder to win in the long-game

turns out there have been girls for longer than you've been a shitter

But what if I want to put tanks on it.

I've been thinking about a soviet tank crew in a t-72 in afghanistan and how the characters would relate to the machine and the machine protects them when everything falls apart. At the same time they are forced to share space and therefore construct a relationship.

The problem is that I dont know any system or setting for such game and it would be fun, specially if we go to more modern tanks like challenger or abrams that are complete mobile fortresses by themselves.

Also I need a system for combined arms, tank malfunction and an equilibrium so the crew isnt just too much powerfull

If you want good vehicle and man combat,
Is what you're looking for. Second edition is probably the best for both vehicle and infantry combat, while third edition has great infantry combat but trash vehicles.

Incorporate gritty non-combat scenes. Dead children, screeching mothers, fathers/husbands killing themselves after witnessing a child get killed.
Find friendly equipment, maybe a letter home in a friendly mia's uniform they find stashed in an insurgents weapons cache. emotionally charged stuff.

Let the players keep track of psychological trauma. Let it directly affect fatigue and combat prowess/skills.

Let there be combat, but also stuff outside of combat that has an impact on the how the players perform in the killy parts.

make their decisions matter.

Do you want them to be all individual tank commanders? Or all operating one vehicle?
If it's the latter I see a problem arising from one player being the commander and making all of the decisions, and all the other players having to just do what they're told in order for the vehicle to function. Or they each try to do their own thing and the vehicle gets messed up because the driver is trying to drive through a building and the gunner is swinging the turret into obstacles, breaking the gun on several tons concrete. Or similar such silliness.

In my opinion, as a player, that wouldn't be too fun.I'm sitting around a table pretending to be guys sitting inside a tank. I only roll dice when the guy in charge tells me to roll dice at something. It'd be much better, in my opinion, to have a squad of tanks, so each person can do what they want to, but they still have to work together, sometimes they only have the electronic voice of the others over the radio for company.

we should have trans agesist become soldiers next.

dude girls have been either sneaking into militaries or willingly accepted since forever

Also considering it's set in WW3, I'd wager that the tactical nuclear strikes on troop formations has made anyone willing to fight be enough of an asset.

Also, they do mention in the book that most militaries practice local recruiting and are probably unbiased to who picks up a gun and fights for them.

Carnage is one of those RPGs that seems like it is interesting and cool, but actually boring to play.

Actually playing it, it is way better than it has any right to be.

Particularly better if you play a long campaign with it. The emergent narrative quickly becomes way more satisfying than the combat, if you have a group that wants it. My own group played a full game, my plan was to keep going until the Division was destroyed or they got bored. It ended up with one of our most kill-crazy guys getting promoted to Brigadier after over half the guys bought it attacking a seemingly-peaceful lowtech world who it turns out could affod to be because they'd made their entire moon an automated weapon. He found out that the mission plan was always to never let anyone go home, told the crew, and they got so pissed off they voted to go the fuck home and go on a suicide attack on HQ. Got wiped out within minutes, but lasted just long enough to dump all their ordnance into the HQ moon.

Decided against telling them whether it works. Works better if they decide for themselves.

As for actual combat? New Delta Green is quite good for slightly-abstracted; Kill Damage is a great way of handling modern firepower and its granularity of personal disorders is the only time I have seen that be a positive for a game, rather than a negative.

Military? If your PCs don't feel lied to by recruiting commercials and regret starting the campaign by halfway through, you're doing it wrong.

>Bonus points if they never get deployed

Or throw money at them to give them Gucci shit no other soldiers have, give them Go-Pros and a cameraman. They can FILM the video recruiters show young fools.

Go watch the Band of Brothers TV show. Yes, it's real history and yes it's good storytelling, but that's not what I want you to look for.

These are grunts in a war. You see the war raging around them, know the general issues at stake. They're undeniably important to the outcome of the war... but, the story is their experience as part of the war, not the LotR approach of having everything important be a named character and everyone else being ineffectual mooks.

The war is a setting more than a plot, if you catch my meaning. obviously that DOesn't work if your PCs are generals, but if they are, then that's a very different story.

I'm sure it's bait, but, it's a game of make believe you dumb shits. 9 times out of 10 more options is better, realism be damned, if you don't like it, houserule it out, assuming you even play with anyone

Ops & Tactics

Also GURPS.
>HURR DURR meme answer
No seriously, if there is one thing GURPS actually does really well it's modern tactical shooting type stuff. It's like the ONE thing it does better than almost every other system.

For tactical scale ideas, look up range cards and how to read them for a good idea of how to understand how weapons work. It can also help you understand why tactics work the way they do.

Consider getting actual maps of random areas for land nav.

Count rounds and water.

Look up manuals for weapons to get an idea of their range and effectiveness. It might surprise you.

Manuals are good idea in general, the US military, at least, has basically anything you need to know by just googling "Term" FM.

My group did pmuch the same thing when they found out the truth about their deployment. By then everyone who had survived long enough had enough flashbacks that life was terrible, and they went back to earth to nuke the sun until it destabilized. They decided to trick home into letting them come back with a story about an actually threatening alien invasion. Only way to do that was to take massive casualties. It got dark fast.

>earth: what a shithole

>setting involving modern day civilization with a typical modernized military

>Standard Infantry: "I can't believe this. The Spec-Ops guys and the Marines get to be with those elves in the elf lands, but we regular 'ol infantry divisions have to be in Happy Fun Candy Land. 'Go to Happy Fun Candy Time Land, high command and the elf allies said it'll be simple, kill uncivilized goblins and wretches, make friends with the faeries and pixies.' Making friends with the faeries my ASS. We're stuck with these fairy-pixie chatter boxes while the marines and special forces boys get to have hot elf action. UGH! The I can't believe the inhabitants of 'Happy Fun Candy Land' are pretty much vapid kid's show cartoon characters!"

Have the PCs as special forces, up against endless shitty guys with AKs. Asymmetrical warfare. Kind of like last survivor. It makes for good "survivable" modern combat.

Also use Traveller (or) as the gunplay and dynamic initiative is superb: Using your leadership skill to boost your teams initiative, diving for cover, etc.

>be me/us, leader(s) of elf and other fantasy lands
>we're getting invaded and pummeled by "evil" forces like those dark/drow elves, barbaric orcs, evil wizards, goblin hordes, and other evil shit
>suddenly these humans arrive, but these humans are very different from the type of humans we know
>these humans are from the further Western Lands and they all look different, speak the same tongue as most humans but the way the talk is just so... Different, and the most notable thing about them is their technology, especially their weapons
>their warriors, knights and commanders wear uniforms that match the environment and they seem to wear little to no armor save for those helmets and masks of theirs, and they wield no sword nor shield but they wield those ranged projectile weapons of theirs that are loud and do massive damage against metal aswell
>and they ride mechanized carriages with no horses and have flying machines that reach speeds for than we can imagine, they also have mechanized carriages that are fully dedicated for war and shoot explosive projectiles even further
>the humans of the Western Lands meet up with us and offer to help us and bring peace and form and alliance with us, as the forces of evil tried invading their lands but were able to repel the invaders
>we accept their help and alliance because we need that much help, and within a few weeks we gain ground and victories
>their flying war machines even dealt a great blow against the enemies by bombing supply lines and important locations and the land war machines of the humans in the west decimated the orcish siege machines
>after assessing the current situation, we may win in defending our lands thanks to these humans.
>I think we made a good choice in this one, any further wisdom?

GATE campaign when?

Because in Twilight 2000 is post-apocalyptic? If your unit is at 30% strength and there's a chick who wants to join you're gonna damn well take anyone.

There's crazier shit in T2K, like "American" units that are really just a handful of survivors of the original unit with most of the manpower being local recruits/survivors of destroyed units/enemies who switched sides after capture. There's tank units with both Abrahms and T-80s, cause anything you can get to fight is needed.

When it retroactively becomes something other than the massive pile of irredeemable cross-medium shit that it is.

>irredeemable cross-medium shit that it is.
oh so you're one of those people. the kind that hates all anime. ok.

>Doesn't like GATE
>therefore doesn't like any anime
Neato strawman bud

>cross-medium shit
i fail to see how that statement doesn't say that you hate all anime

>be operator in fantasy land
>fight magical bullshit all the fucking time
>seriously, this one short dude with a beard threw fucking lightning at us
>RIP mikhail, who knew that ogres took that much 7.62 to put down
>cyka blyat
>locals wont stop fucking asking me how my AK works
>this one girl has been following us for a week
>are those ears pointy?
>maybe she'll go away and stay somewhere safe

shut the fuck up Ray

Because GATE is shit across all three entertainment mediums it occupies. Novels, Mango and Anime. It is shit across mediums, a cross-medium shit if you will.

>implying the manga is shit
ok.

>complaining about being in the land of friendly faeries (think of the ones in Neopets: neopets.com/neopedia.phtml?neopedia_id=234&criteria=
neopets.com/neopedia.phtml?neopedia_id=43&criteria=) and pixies and where sweet and delicious candy can literally grow from the ground and trees

>"Hey take it easy man, be glad you guys are in the land of sugary sweets and fairies and pixies. We on the other hand have to be in the deeper southern wintery parts where its snowing and shit. The guys who're born in places where its snowing and shit are pretty OK being here, but us folk who grew up in the regular climate areas fucking hate it here. Maybe you guys can have hot fairy-sexy action? ...Meanwhile we're freezing our balls here fighting ice wraiths, ice golems, yetis and other hideous ass snow monsters."

>implying it's all sexy fairies all the time
if it's not "OOOH HOW DOES THAT SWORD WORK SHOW US SO WE CAN TOTALLY NOT BE SPYING ON YOUR TECHNOLOGY' it's "WHERE DID YOU COME FROM? WHERE ARE YOU GOING? I"M NOT WORKING FOR THE ENEMY LOOK HOW ADORABLE I AM TEE HEE".
The last soldier who thought the sexy elf girls were harmless now has spiders growing out of his dick. Big ones. Fuck, I'd rather be fighting ice monsters than this PR "hearts and minds" bullshit.

Well I guess such a setting of modern humans doing military incursions in the fantasy lands should bring some scenes like this:

>modernistan and tacticool marines visit a fantasy tavern
>chatter from patron stops and music played by the bards stop until someone speaks up

"Well look at that! Its the Men of The Western Continent(s)! The people who helped us all fend off the forces of evil, HUZZAH!"

>the patrons cheer and the bards continue playing cheerful songs, then the start singing songs praising the Men of the West, specifically the marines
>the tavern owner calls to the marines

"Oi! We all 'eard one of ya recent missions, y'all stopped that Orc invasion on some farmlands with just two dozen men and those war machines of those?"
>one of the marines reply
"Yeah we did. Specifically there were about 24 of us marines back with artillery and armored support."
"Don't forget air support from an AH-6C. Miniguns and missile and rocket launcher tore through those savage green skinned fucks like toilet paper."

>That garnered a few laughs and cheers from some bar patrons who were knights and warriors themselves
>the bartender spoke again

"Ayy, since ya Western Men did so much for our lands. Drinks are on dah house for you foine gentlemen! Tell yer other boys they welcome to feast in 'ere! Ya earned it."

>one of the marines spoke to the other
"Damn man you hear that? On the house.'
"I know man. Real fucking food and not our crappy-ass MRE's. What you say sarge?"
"Sure lets eat, what ya having men? Hey where's Private Duncan?"

>one of the marines smirked and heartedly pointed at where the private was, being towed to a seat and being hit on by a tavern wench.

"Hey guys, Lieutenant Hargraves of the Ranger Battalions here in the Fantasy-Desert Land. Yeah I get what y'all mean; one of you regular ol' infantry guys are stuck in a land that's literally a girly-kid's show program with annoyingly vapid characters and pixie-fairy shits that won't shut up. And the other is in a freezing tundra hellhole with killer snowmen and snow witches that won't shut up about singing an annoyingly catchy song We Ranger Battalions have it worse, 'cause like I mentioned earlier, we're in a fucking scorching hot desert. And no hot-desert elves to be found, just some desert-dwelling-reptile-folk, and desert-cat people; no, these desert-cat people are not as 'cute and adorable' as the more common cat folk well know and love. But hey as soon as we defeat these forces of evil, we can all get home, make friends with elven and other magical allies and have fun time with 'em. Seriously I miss having a fucking smoothie or cold water, shit."

Said the pasty low test airman

>modern and industrial human civilization being steadfast friends and allies with the magical elves
Yep I like this, humanity, especially if they're industrialized. Being allied with powerful people like elves is one of my fetishes, kinks and interests.

>airman
>having any test
kek

Oh please! You boys think you have it rough, you clearly have not heard of the forested and mountainous regions where the "Monster Girls" live!
>be me, female soldier for an all female detachment
>someplace in the fantasy land is complaining about being plagued by "Monster Girls" who're an all female people and have been kidnapping and raping their men, specifically human males
>fantasy land allies seek help from us as usual to deal with the Monster Girl menace, mmkay this should be easy we'll just bomb them-
>shit, high command says no bombings and precision strikes too are not an option, so its boots-on-the-ground again just like fighting those dark elves and goblin hordes
>shit, OUR male infantries and marines are also getting their asses raped, as in literally male personnel are being captured, raped and whisked away by those monster loli fucks
>high command is livid and decides to make all-female regiments to combat the horny monster girls and in hopes that unlike men, monster girls are gonna struggle and have a hard time against straight-heterosexual-non-gay-women, and so we can also deny the monster lolis male human cocks
>crap, the idea of all female regiments is not as glorious as it seems as the monster girls can be bisexual and fuck around human women
>a pack of Werewolf Girls almost gangraped me, but I was saved by Sergeant Mila who gunned them down with her SAW/MK48, and I decided to end my tour not wanting to get raped by a bisexual monster loli
>and now there are people in our homeland are protesting to make peace with Monster Girls because reasons
>high command decides; fuck it we're not spending this much manpower after the liberation against the orcs, goblins, evil wizards, and evil dark elves just this yet
>high command instead teaches the human locals of Monster Girl-Lands to use our guns and give 'em industrial grade chastity devices.

no

...Why am I getting pissed everytime I see that image?

>...Why am I getting pissed everytime I see that image?
>getting pissed everytime I see that image
>pissed everytime I see that image
>pissed everytime
>pissed
>piss

The Whizzard has you in his grasp.

It's a nice trick that makes the pointless hyperviolence of the thing make sense; attacking alien civilisations was never the point, it's purely about getting the most violent or rebellious people away from humankind to ruin other things instead. MUH ALIEMS just happens to be the best excuse for that.

I always had it as a slight headcanon that maybe the people dispatching them on Earth don't even know about alien species. They just gave them guns and sent them away, assuming they'd never find anything and so never be able to come back. And even though they find (and destroy) countless alien civilisations, nobody back on earth ever actually reads the reports. Just the one from the Brigadier than tells them how many more have to die until they're wiped out.

If I ever run another game, that's the plan. When players want to transition from killing to plot, I'll have them run into a legitimately threatening enemy, and slowly realise over some wars that it is a HUGELY dangerous foe, and is now pissed off with humans and wants them eradicated. As the Division is ground down to a handful of men fighting them off, the former Brigadier bites it and as he's dying orders the next guy to go and warn earth that there is a grave threat to their existence.

The new guy sends the message, and is rounded on by his commanders who are all WHAT THE FUCK ALIENS ARE REAL, in the same breath he finds the folder telling him the orders that have been driving all of this.

That's a great jumping-off point for a campaign finale. They're in a position to save the earth, but they've just found out how badly they were betrayed. What do?

Indeed it's not all elf sex and fun out here soldiers. We think the dark elves have agents getting info out of the soldiers they're fucking. Lt. Vasily too also has spiders growing out of his crotch now.

brass says about 40% of grunts who fuck the elf girls are never seen again. The odds are in my favor, i might risk it. Beats getting in firefights with these robed fools leveling buildings with their hands

Does anyone want to play a Twilight campaign by skype or email?

yes

Oh hey, I've seen some of these posts in some previous elf thread some weeks ago.
>elf-human joint ops capture a high ranking dark/drow elf leader and kill her subordinates
>as the dark elf is captured she's beaten up by mainly the elves for the crimes and atrocities she committed, especially the elven and human POWs under her
>the humans soldiers yell at her and also join the beating of her, such as rifle butting her with their guns, and kurb-stomping her
>then one of the human marines speak up to her
>"THIS IS WHAT YOU GET! *rifle butts her* THIS IS WHY WE DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORIST SCUMBAGS LIKE YOU!!!! YOU HONESTLY THOUGHT RIPPING OPEN OUR COLLEGES AND COMRADES WOULD 'SCARE' US FROM FIGHTING YOU DARK ELF BASTARDS! *rifle butts her lower body* WHATS THE MATTER YOU EDGY-GOTH WHORE!? I THOUGHT YOU FUCKING BITCHES LIKE IT ROUGH! *kicks her* YOU REMEMBER LIEUTENANT VASILY SULEJMANI!?"
>the dark elf looks up to him and the human soldier continues
>"YOU KNOW!? THE OFFICER YOU FIRST RIPPED APART IN FRONT OF A CAMERA AND SENT IT IN VIDEO THINKING YOU CAN INTIMIDATE US!? THE GUY WAS MORE THAN HERO! HE HAD A FAMILY! FRIENDS, AND DID GREATER THINGS THAT MAKE YOU INSIGNIFICANT IN COMPARISON!!! ...And he was my bestest friend I ever had since childhood, and you gutted him inhumanely like an animal."
>the soldier scans the dark elf's body and grins as he immediately restrains her with plasticuffs her got from his pouch
>then one of the elven allies speak up
>"WAIT! You're actually going to do it Lieutenant Ackerman!? You're really going rape her are you."
>the human lieutenant glares back at his elven comrade, then the elf replies with a grin
>"...Not that I'm stopping you. Honestly. Compared to the atrocities she's committed, what you're about to do is NOTHING compared to what she's done."

>will continue

STOP

Dude let's make it happen. Just email me I guess.

[email protected]

>the human lieutenant chuckles and proceeds to rip off the dark elf's lower garments
>the dark elf screams and attempts to kick the human off, only for the lieutenant Ackerman to punch her repeatedly in the face
>the human lieutenant then hands down his primary gun and his sidearm pistol to a comrade to hold on to
>the human lieutenant then takes of his helmet, his combat vest and various other gear and hands it over to one of the soldiers or the staff sergeant under his lead to hold on to it
>he walks back to the dark elf, and then he sees the dark elf has fear in her face
>"Ohhoho you're scared huh? I guess you know what I'am gonna do HUH!? YEAH THAT'S RIGHT, IM GONNA FUCK THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF YOU! AND I DOUBT YOU DARK SKINNED FUCKERS ARE REDEEMABLE, SO IRREDEEMABLE I'M GONNA BE A SAINT ONCE I'M DONE RAPING THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF YOU!"
>the elves and other human soldiers laugh at his joke, the elves then continue taunting her in the elven tongue, some of which the soldiers recognize as; 'You should have surrendered while you still can.', 'This is what you savages get.' and one elf even said in the elven tongue towards the dark elf; 'You are fucked, LITERALLY!'
>some of the depraved human operative whip out their cameras and or phones to record the whole ordeal while the elven allies just continue jeering and insulting the dark elf
>one of the human soldiers even said directly to the dark elf; "WELL BITCH, YA BETTAH PRAY TO THE GREAT MIOGHTY SPIDER LOLTH TO WISK U AWEA!"
>another human soldier; a woman, mocks the dark elf by pretending to be her; "GREAT 'N MIGHTY MATRIARCH LOLTH PLEASE HELP ME! HELP ME! THE LESSER ANIMALS ARE GOING TO RAPE ME! SAVE ME AND I WILL SACRIFICE TEN VIRGIN BOYS IN YOUR NAME!!!"
>and so the human lieutenant goes down to the dark elf and proceeds to violate her as the elven comrades continue to jeer and the human soldiers laugh and mock at the dark elf's expense

I'll shoot you an email but I won't have steady internet access until the end of july. Gotta go deep innawoods for work and have shit internet out there so no skype or anything

From the point of view of a common trooper it's easy. Your superiors never tell you shit anyway

It's fun, I'll give it that.