What makes a good beast race?

What makes a good beast race?

When you play as the giant metal bird mount instead of the furry sharkmen.

What's wrong with sharkmen when they aren't shemale technopunks with violently clashing colors?

human compatible genitalia

you know you were all thinking it. I just said it.

Shouldn't be "human + a couple of animal features"

Khajiit are a good example.

Don't play up the animal aspect unnecessarily either.

This, beast races should look like beasts

Any bad examples besides the ones I'm posting?

if they don't have any human features then you've essentially just got an ordinary animal that happens to be intelligent

Better than the neon anthro wolf thing.

Literally any animal person from anime. Felanid from 40k.

If you can accurately describe the race in question as "Human with

>Good example
>Uses a revolver that is the size of a teenager.

Things like Lamias, Driders, Centaurs, and Harpys and different, they're more hybrids having parts that are completely human and then parts that are completely animal.

If you're nine feet tall and six and a half bills, you need a big gun.

Something like this is whatever usually do for beastmen. Anything like Mermaids/Kitsunes or anything else that are just humans with animal features are usually their own race or something.

I thought the Felinid were actually just like, furry humans. The scientific name makes it sound like they're furry.

I've always seen them as standard catgirls, occasionally in flak armor.

That's usually because 40k fans are super anti-furry that anything that looks like an animal is despised and hissed at.

That's true. But is there a canon description or picture of them?

This is a good depiction. I haven't seen a truly canon version though.

Crab>Furries

Si what's up with these Sharkpeoples? They seem kinda cool.

CRAB PEOPLE CRAB PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CRAB WALK LIKE PEOPLE.

Not going for the "human with some animal parts" thing; they should have their own mentality,culture and idiosyncrasy based on their background.
Wolrd perspective different from the human cultures of their world, from slightly different to radically; maybe they support slavery, or thing showing certain surfaces of the antropomorphic body is shameful or disrespectful.
Peculiarities about the little things in life,like cooking or fashion,maybe.

capitalize on their animalistic features by incorporating it into their culture, if they have one

make them feel like an inspired and original part of the setting, instead of just "people but they're animals. but they're just treated like people"

I wouldn't mind shark nagas. In humanoid form, those tails are just awful.

Anything you want if it doesn't creep out other players.

People who say "but beast races should be X" are dumb.

Burmecian are cool

My understanding is that this is all that is official* about them.

>The Felinids, also known as Homo Sapien Hirsutus, are a recognized strain of Abhuman within the Imperium. They are restricted to the world of Carlos McConnell

*Official meaning published with GW's permission.

You know a place is worth going to because they'll feed your fish bro as well.

Being able to be more than just a specialized character option for getting some more oomph out of specific classes/builds depending on system or a super unique special thing to act as the face for a singular culture you worked on.

If your Porknuggins are only interesting because of the Porknuggin nation's qualities or because Porknuggins complement playing a Hammomancer well, your race still needs work.

Being true beastfolk requires a certain distance away from human traits, and I find often that cultural differentiation makes all the difference too. I'm quite fond of the Catfolk and Naga of MTG, the Taurens and Tuskar of Warcraft and the Skaven for such reasons.

I for one welcome our mirelurk overlords.

For a moment, I thought you said human incompatible genitalia.
I'm disappointed now.