How comes 40k is popular with anyone aside from nihilist teenagers?

How comes 40k is popular with anyone aside from nihilist teenagers?

Because it mocks and parodies edginess and nihilism often found in those teenagers.

>Implying Veeky Forums isn't 95% nihilist teeanagers disguising their thinly veiled fanfictions as stories that "actually happened" in someone's "game".

I like some of the ideas it has. I don't like it as a whole. I definitely don't like people screaming "FURR THE EMPERHURR" whenever something 40K related shows up in other stuff.

Poe's law. Saying it's a parody might be giving it too much credit

Because 40k has become so shitty and hated that it has become hipstercool to like it unironically.

Plus idiots.

Same reason as D&D

>with anyone aside from nihilist teenagers?
So everyone likes it except for nihilist teenagers?

Because it's fun.

Used to be more fun but it is still fairly fun.

Well, for one thing it's been around long enough for a lot of them to become edgy adults instead, who can actually afford it themselves.

I like the concept of a species that has inherited a technology from their ancestor so advance that's beyond their understanding.

>nihilist teenagers

lol its 2016 you wretched old piece of shit

I find that 40k is very much like me: intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humour.

>pretentious, nihilistic, and less funny than a dead meme

Fixed that for you.

This guy. This guy is a reasonable human being who has his shit together. I tip my fedora to you sir. Good day.

It's quite funny and has weird, guilty-pleasure tier aesthetics.
I can't understand why anyone else than nihilist teenagers would be able to take it deadly serious and still like it

No hipster I know likes 40k. And I fucking live in Seattle.

You mean like every iPhone user?

Because it is.

All the justification you need and all you deserve.

Judge Dredd + Dune + Mad Max

It's a pretty fun concept.
Despite being fairly generic for British Sci-Fi, it's fairly unusual for American Sci-Fi which makes it feel fresh and fun over here.

Yeah, I've discovered over the years that there are a few too many /pol/-idiots who like the setting because they have no sense of irony and see it as the fantasy version of their views, but that doesn't make it stop being fun for me.
Also, the models are fun to put together.

But user, I'm a faithful Anglican!

it originally started as a parody then slowly became the thing it made fun of over the years.

This. It's just a really cool, original setting with a fuckton of content and depth.

>Judge Dredd + Dune + Mad Max

Yep. There's really no other setting like it.

>cool
>original
>depth

Not everyone likes chaos user.

Because there is a rich vein of absurdity and dark humor that runs through a lot of it that people overlook.
Also as science fiction in general has adopted cleaner, sleeker, aesthetics to reflect modern industrial design the pseudo-gothic clusterfuck which is the 40k aesthetic has only become more bold and distinctive by contrast.

Because it's fun. No deeper meaning. I like big epic fights, both in scale of massive battles, and titanic entities or personalities colliding, and 40k has that in spades.

Like with all settings that have accumulated content for decades, it got material that canplease anybody. Even the same character can be handled in a completely different manner depending on the author.

>depth
I wouldn't go that far.
But it's still pretty cool.

I like the scale of it. The timescale, the scale of the wars, the scale of the god and the vast numbers involved.

You can have titanic crusades and monumental battles...then 2 sectors away they aren't even aware of that going on bar a few officials keeping in touch and the astropaths going "here about that shit in grimcdarkus sector?"

The Emperor alone is a huge reason for my interest, an ancient man from the dawn of time guiding his species and failing like any other man can fail, and then trying to make do and enduring pain beyond description every moment to keep his species alive.

There is so much going on in 40k and it isn't perfect (thanks Horus Heresy for making the Emperor seem like a moron) but as settings go it is one of my absolute favourites.

Plus I am British so it "clicks" with me, its dare I say it comfortable.

>"FURR THE EMPERHURR!!!

I know a guy who yells" blood for the blood God, skulls for the skull throne" when ever we play d&d or card games.

It's makes me cinge every time

It's a sandbox built on the bones of a thousand better settings. The original creators were really proud of the fact that they took just about everything relevant to British culture in the 80s and mushed it all together.

Just because it's grown corrupted and introverted, doesn't mean that isn't still there.

I think because the ridiculous amount of lore thats been put into it over the years it essentially just touches on everything. It has army men, knights, mecha, demons, magic, cults, sci-fi, fantasy, etc. I constantly couldn't keep my attention on one genre at a time and left tons of projects unfinished, but 40k allows me to make diffrent aspects of my campaigns entirely diffrent genres. I can transition from Dead Space to Apocalypse Now to D&D to Star Trek to Mad Max to Conan and it all makes since because of decades of lore amd fluff to work with. Also, even though some people give it a grimdark 90s edgelord asthetic in their head, I always see it as campy 80s cult film in mine. It becomes what it needs to for other people. For the rpgs at least.

Because it's 40k user. If you can't understand that, you don't get it. 40k is pure cocaine.

This is now a 40k art thread.

Why is Star Wars popular with anybody?

Pre-Disney Wars I can easily understand.

Post-Disney Wars, no idea.

No one in the real world has a steady enough hand to make the Punisher's paint scheme work, but they look pretty cool in that pic.

because nihilistic teens are edgy sperglords who are only like that because they're trying to show off their special snowflake status in a way that lashes out against normal society.

even though 40k is theoretically the perfect universe for them, it's enjoyed by masses of relatively normal people compared to them, so they don't want to be associated with it because it's too mainstream

that architecture is impossible even for 40k.

As a Dark Angels fan, this always annoyed me. Sure, the Grey Knights just know the Dark Angels secret, and now they can totally blackmail the whole chapter.

It's like somebody took Azrael's and Draigo's miniatures and went "now kiss~!" You couldn't have made up a better 'friend' for either faction?

Thread needs more Sororitas.

Nice to see a Khornate with a ranged weapon now and then.

Because it's fun. I think it has gotten so serious and stupidly grimdark that it has come full circle into parody territory. And I love it. And it has the same charm as comic books where everyone is exactly as powerful as the plot requires them to be, and their actual skills abilities don't matter for dick to the writers.

but it isn't nihilistic, it's idealistic to the extreme where humanity comes together as one big collective for the good of the species

Like gravel mashed into cheddar, it's the grittiest cheese.

>How comes 40k is popular
>just learned new word

Protip: The number of things stupid people don't 'get' is literally infinite - and there's nothing wrong with that. What's 'wrong' is, constantly asking your stupid questions when you must know by now that you're too stupid to understand the answers. Now, kindly fuck off back to your Campus Safe Space with a pint of Rocky Road and never post here again.

>That Image
All female Slaaneshi warband... Sisters of Silence.

>pic related

First, Khorne dubs.

Second, imagine a Khornate Sniper. They'd mutter "Blood for the Blood God." before popping someone's skull like an overripe melon.

t h i s

How can they get corrupted if they're blanks? Warp won't affect them.

He'd definitely use hollow rounds or whatever you call them.

Dumb-Dumbs, as they're called on the street.

Shit, you're right. Sisters of Silence are already a thing. They could be stealing their name a joke or mock.

Are you calling me a dumb dumb, user? I'm sorry I'm not /k/.

I think I've actually seen a quote from a traitor guardsmen aligned to Khorne who used a sniper. After marking his target he'd utter 'Khorne guide my shot' or something like that.

>Swiggity swooty, I'm coming for that choppa

Possible titles, "I heard there was Chaos over here! I came as quick as I could." or "Oh no! Oh no! Oh, no. OH YEEAAHH!"

That's pretty boss.

>tfw no all-heretic BC group

Why do you think Veeky Forums got created in the first place? It was a containment board.

>Yeah, I've discovered over the years that there are a few too many Americans who like the setting because they have no sense of irony and see it as the fantasy version of their views, but that doesn't make it stop being fun for me.

>stop liking what I don't like!

>Thread needs more Sororitas.
YES!

>All female Slaaneshi warband...
YES!!!

Some people never outgrow the nihilist teenager phase.

Because BIG STOMPY LASER BEAM BANGSPLOSION CHAINSAW-FUCKING-AXE!

>Some people never outgrow the nihilist teenager phase.
Just because people enjoy things you don't enjoy doesn't make them a nihilist or a teenager.

I really like building and painting models as well as reading stories of desperate struggles against impossible odds while absurdist levels of bureaucracy deny the heroes any sort of aid.

Because the long period of rise/fall/rise, complex bureaucracy, power without control, and warp/chaos mechanics are tropes stereotypically absent from most scifi.

Because it's fun.

OMNOMNOM

I literally only like it for the Imperial Guard, and even that I only like the version presented in shit like Gaunt's Ghosts where it's not entirely grimdark and edge.

Sisters of battle aren't blanks, you're thinking of the sisters of silence user

Because that's the narrative the liberal faggots dogpiling this hobby are using to attack one of its biggest and most beloved IPs, because it doesn't line up with their political views. This happens every time feminists come into something and the actual fanbase starts fighting back, like when they tried to get metal called "neckbeard music," for example.

He said Sisters of Silence though.

How I'd love to see a movie set in the 40k universe, even though I know it would cost a trillion dollars to make and would probably only bring in 25 cents.

Imagine this scene on the big screen...

At this point, so what if the secret gets out. The horus heresy was 10000 years ago, penance crusades have lasted a fraction of that length for the same offense.

It's all of the settings, ripped off at the same time, painted black, with extra skulls glued on.

Specifically to make you upset.

>that one guy rocking atop a titan
I love 40k because of shit like that.

>40k is a written Micheal bay movie that doesn't take itself seriously swimming in so much lore I'm not even sure I'll ever have read it all.

Wouldnt have epicness in spades cheapen it?

Like the stakes of every battle in 40k are planet wide or sector wide. This somehow doesn't make them seem more important than like...A battle for a small barony in england in other settings. But they really dont have much more room to scale up from aside from tossing more words like "supra-sector wide". They sorta are spent out in raising stakes.

Because it's a satire of nihilism.

Wait, 40k IS popular?

Haha, not really.

Between the price hikes of miniatures driving off long-time players, and the writers taking this shit way too seriously driving away newcomers, 40K is slowly but surely dying.