What type of roleplayer do you find most obnoxious Veeky Forums?

What type of roleplayer do you find most obnoxious Veeky Forums?

For me personally as a GM I think it has to be the people who try way too hard to be overtly evil at all times no matter the circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I've run some evil campaigns where whacky cartoon villainry were perfectly welcome. But honestly it becomes tiresome when you know most of your playgroup like to play good aligned archetypical hero characters, paladins, clerics, avengers of gods like Evaldir.

Then along comes jimmy who intentionally rolls a fucking half vampire necromancer character whose overarching goal is to create a warcraft style plague of undeath...
To top it all off? He refuses to hide this fact, perhaps instead keeping it a clandestine character secret to be sprung at a dramatically appropriate time, and calls foul when the other members of the party in character decide they've had it and stake him to a tree.

>tl;dr its considerate to consider whether your character is appropriate for the campaign and group you are joining guys. though im sure most of you know it

What about you guys? Any types of player or specific players to tell of?

Feel free to storytime anything too

Advice for helping to solve disputes between awkward players and playgroups would also be v welcome

Captain Ayn Rand McBackstabbity Faggot.

The motherfucker who always plays a character of neutral-leaning-evil morality, not a bad person necessarily, but one who just absolutely cannot work along with people in good faith. The party is hanging out with some friendly locals and chilling with the local church, this fag is scheming with the thieves' guild. We're a group of good-aligned people who generally try to do nice stuff for its own sake and other assorted acts of friendship, and this guy is like "nah that dudes a nigger fuck him".

I just want a coherent party with similar goals.

Last time I played someone like that my friends and gm all talked about how great it was and how interestingly it affected things.

I still helped the party with whatever they needed though, so it might've played out differently.

Yeah, its like those players never realise how much harder they are making your life.

As a GM we want to be the ones posing difficulty to the group, but it really hobbles you when you know some motherfucker would stab them all in their sleep and steal their shoes for basically no reason whatsoever????

Lolsorandumb fucks who think that the essence of roleplaying is emulating Sir Bearington or Old Man Henderson every chance you get. DMs who encourage this behavior by giving out "roleplaying XP" for the funniest non-sequiturs.

This
I mean sure have your random freeform fun every now and then
But some people want to lay down an interesting narrative, and be a little immersed
Joking is great but dont turn the entire session in to one big extended joke ugh

I don't hate people, never have, never will.

I don't recall mentioning hatred anywhere in my post.
Finding someone obnoxious and hating them are worlds apart.

The most obnoxious are SJWs who inject their politics into every game situation, because "everything is political" and other horseshit.

I think we have a WINNER
"Uh, you have slavery in your setting? THAT TRIGGERS ME!"

I hate when people are incapable of roleplaying a character with values different to their own real life values.

If your character has all your values and opinions you are just playing your fucking self.

I have a player who always decides to play evil leaning characters. He'll try to do all his RP in secret, pass me notes about what he's doing, generally acts as if he's against or doesn't care about the other players and tries to make the entire campaign I've spent so much time working on more of a background thing. He always has a Mary Sue character with backstories that clash with my political ongoings. He'll invent kings he's slain, groups of allies hes had and expects to have Not! Dark brotherhood contacts wherever he goes. Claims to be a leader of an assasins guild, or theives guild, or runs an evil church, praises a god he made, and gets mad when I deny the backstory hes made for his level 3 character. He then tries to go have his own adventures reguardless of what the party is doing. Usually revolving around some stupid vengance/revenge quest from his backstory. He expects me to tailor the game around him, and gets upset when hes not in the spotlight.

>The party is resting for the night before they go into the dungeon.
"Im going to wander the town looking for trouble"
>You find nothing of interest.
"Im going to break into the magic store."
30 minutes of indecision later, nothing is accomplished and he's wasted everyone's time, broke a window and ran away when the alarm spell goes off.
>"Why would the high level wizard who sells powerful magic items have any protection in his shop?"

Gee, I dont know. To prevent people from breaking in and stealing things?

I have a player right now that is currently playing a Kitsune Magus/Samurai. (Pathfinder) His previous character aquired a magical scroll that held the instructions for lichdom through his backstory. Long story short the "main character" killed him and buired him in a shallow grave. He used to be a commanding & seductive badass that I loved to have around every session.

His new one is a bastard child (literally) of classical Japanese high society and a drunk Irishman that can only speak in shouts. Every fifth word out of his mouth is "fuck" and he completly disregards the social rules I laid out for the party. (Don't say "Hi" or "what's up?" in character) He is riding a Lion (Because Samurai) that he made giant by forcing an actual wizard into casting Enlarge Person and Permencancy.

Most of the time he dosent even play, he whips out his Laptop and "works" on a game he has been making. He is also trying to invite his timid as church mouse gf over, even after I said "You don't invite people in, I do."

Angsty and edgy fags. I hate those

Maybe it's just because I live in Texas, but I've only seen this behavior from hard-line conservatives and jesusfreak types.

>DMs who encourage this behavior by giving out "roleplaying XP" for the funniest non-sequiturs.

This. By far this is one of the worst plagues on modern RPG books, because the direction they give is always, "Someone who plays their character well, or doe something that helps the party have fun." This in turn is always interpreted by rookie DMs as, "Well, Phil told jokes and did some silly antics, and people laughed, so he deserves a bonus." And Phil interprets that as, "Being a clown and doing random shit is not only OK, it's good because the DM rewards me for it. I should do this all the time."

Those guys are the worst. Gaming is supposed to be a group activity, and they generally trash that aspect of it. If your character concept basically goes "no, this isn't going to be a group activity", then it doesn't belong in a roleplaying game.

I've seen too many selfish little shits fuck over groups with this, and then point at characters in books / films / tv shows as examples of how that sort of character "can work". No, fuck you. This isn't a novel. This isn't a film.

The guy who makes a character thinking who's gonna be that "Cool, silent mysterious type"

In reality they just end up playing a character who just sulks and broods in the corner. Never makes any effort to interact with the other players of npc's. Basically they just make a pouty pauly character who'd rather sit all alone in the corner.

On university campuses you'll see all kinds of social justice idiots doing the same thing. It's obnoxious no matter who does it.

I'm playing a campaign right now, and one of them walked his Dragonborn into an organization led by an NPC known to be unwilling to deal with Dragonborn, deliberately started an altercation demanding racial equality in a city that happens to be raided by Dragonborn every few months and then wanted an Inspiration point for it. The DM refused on the basis that he already had one, but I feel as if the player deliberately put himself into a situation where he could "play as himself" in order to try to get the point, given he asked for it immediately after.

The player says he did it "to mess with" the racist NPC, and nobody else seems to have an issue with it except myself, it seems. The player's a good guy and isn't at all a social justice advocate outside of the character, though, which makes me feel even more so as if he was trying to game for the inspiration point.

Not really anything to add, but I'm just really not sure whether I'm reacting overly negatively or that everyone just happened to miss it.

*one of the players

>Inspiration point
What are you playing?

I went to Evergreen, look it up. Its an SJW capital, but even there, I never once encountered anyone getting triggered in any of the games.

That one fag who always OOC points out the most trivial illogicalities. Things like "this guard tower should be a few meters farther to the left so it can cover the area better."
It's doubly infuriating because I have a fetish for logical area and setting design too and go out of my way to make sure everything makes perfect sense from a practical standpoint. The end result is that 90% of the time he's wrong or his character simply doesn't know some important fact yet. But it's the 10% when he's right that hurts the most

Asking for benny points is worse than Hitler.

Canadafag here, I have played with a girl I know has put out warnings in-game about things that would have triggered her.
It helped me open up about asking not to have violence against children in games anymore

> can't handle violence against children

Holy shit grow up already. My game has lietral child rape in it, I think you can handle a few little Timmies getting killed by orcs.

>people who try way too hard to be [any single alignment, emotion, or personality trait] at all times no matter the circumstances
This is a pretty big one for me, but at least they're making an effort, and that's a good sign. That implies they can be led to improve once shown that good RP involves a characters' emotions and mental state changing in response to things.

>it's the 10% when he's right that hurts the most
No-one's perfect user. That kind feedback is critical for improvement, I'm happy you have that.

>tfw I played in a game where the DM inserted Barack Obama into his generic fantasy setting out of nowhere
>He was an advocate for gay rights throughout the realm
>He started making everything about gay rights
>When no one's characters really cared about gays one way or the other
>He was confused when our characters wouldn't drop everything and join Obama out of nowhere

He was a weird guy.

My "fucking self" can't cast magical spells or slay dragons or topple corrupt corporations in the cyberpunk future. Playing a fantasy version of yourself is kind of the point, as much as I get and am all for wanting to mix it up.

I know what I like, and what I want to spend my free time doing. I've had enough of people trying to out-edge each other by coming up with backstories of child abuse, or ways to use children as weapons, or bragging about how having 'literal child rape' is a selling point for their game.

Side note, when you graduate high school and start hanging out with adults you'll find that it's usually parents who don't like violence against children. We have enough worries about that, we don't need to get our rocks off pretending to do it.

I can't stand busybodies. Players who make every aspect of other characters their business. Who go out of their way to insert themselves into every situation even if it doesn't involve them. And will actively sandbag any player choice he doesn't like--regardless if his own PC is in a position to even know about it--because "you shouldn't do that".

>but user why aren't you letting that player stop the lolsorandum CN faggot? you must hate quality games

There's a difference between trying to curb disruptive behavior and dictating how everyone else should react to every situation.

Seriously dude? Child murder isn't fun, and I'm usually shocked when it comes up in a game. Even my evil characters will shy away from it. But I'm not gonna tell my GM to avoid stuff just because I get booty-bothered. It's a game of pretend.

The type that tries to play smart characters when they're retarded

One player I had just watched Death Note and wanted to be some kind of evil genius, manipulator type but he couldnt plan or roleplay for shit
All his schemes went tits up and he wouldnt stop bitching about it

Not so much roleplayer necessarily, but the type of person who will argue for medieval accuracy in a fantasy game. At worst they're tacitly advocating caster supremacy and keeping martial classes terrible, and at best they're arguing for boring minutiae for their precious "verisimilitude" about the Middle Ages, in a setting that doesn't take place on Earth let alone in the past.

Eh, you don't expect players of strong characters to be strong in real life, or tough, or nimble, right? The character's smartness is as mechanical as those.

I have a player who wanks over halberds and opted for one as starting equipment even though they're only okay in the system because "muh best medieval weapon". I told him off the bat I don't care about haldberds or how great they apparently are. Fortunately he got the message and the game's free of sperging.

To be fair, that's an incredibly hard role to play. I've tried it, and as a player who by the nature of the game has to share what he's doing with the GM and the other players, not to mention what information he recieves, it's very hard to set people up properly. I only got away with it for a bit because I pulled the fae 'letter of the law' trick when they weren't expecting it.

Not quite. I don't expect the guy playing the barbarian to be super-strong, but I expect him to know what sort of stuff he can lift and that he can't ride a horse up a vertical cliff Elder Scrolls Style. The manipulative guy doesn't have to be able to convince everyone, that's what Charisma checks are for, but he does have to have an end-game otherwise it's just lying to people.

If he thinks the weapon is cool then that's plenty reason to use one in itself, but if he was trying to talk you into making it better because he thinks it was the master medieval weapon or whatever, then yeah, he can fuck off.

Fortunately he didn't try to do that. But I think I remember he expressed some disappointment with its stats.

>Be me, the kinda stupid Dwarf
>Half the party has darkvision or ways to compensate. Half the party does not.
>We see dwarven slaves being carried along by hobgoblins.
>Nope, gonna stop this. Order the party to follow my lead and jump over. Did I mention I'm a bard?
>Rest of the party decides this is stupid and chooses not to help. I'm fine with this, because DM knows I have a plan on screwing with things from the inside of prisons.
>Halfling player, who is usually playing candy crush and goes "Huh" when we ask for her attention rolls initiative. Goes after the ranger.
>Ranger and I are cool bros of players and play up the elf vs dwarf rivalry except that I'm a classy as fuck Dwarf Nobleman and he's the rude rabblerousing soccer hooligan Wood Elf. He says "Nope not gonna help. Not even gonna throw a torch over and give away our position."
>Halfling yells at him out of character for not throwing a torch over so she can see what she's firing at. We tell her to throw her own torch, she says, and I quote, "But then I won't get to attack."
>MFW DM tells her "It's not just about you."

I hate players that expect everyone to bend over so they can be cool.

Makes sense. I guess I just have a knee jerk reaction from having seen people try to seriously argue that you should have to be smart to play a high intensity character. Usually meaning "stay away from my magic mans you jocks".

5e, though the setting is homebrew.

That is a potential problem, pic related.

Being manipulative and clever does require the player to be manipulative and clever; they don't need a silver tongue, but they still need to be able to see how they can use other people to their advantage. It's not really something you can work around, in the same way that someone playing a thief still needs to have a reasonable idea of what they can steal, where they can hide, and how they can get away, because just having a Dex of 20 doesn't do it.

>For me personally as a GM I think it has to be the people who try way too hard to be overtly evil at all times no matter the circumstances

This, and also the guy who is constantly trying to get his character laid and brings it up every time we stop anywhere there might be whores.

Except my group is 25+. Checkmate.

Also, easy solution to that: Don't have kids, you fucking idiot. None of us did, and that's why we are playing RPGs whenever we ant instead of wasting our weekends wiping diapers and watching "the little guy"

you're virginity is showing senpai

I tend to have my characters in vidya gaems be a complete self insert. My TTRPG characters are a bit more complex. I will look at what I want to play, such as a Paladin, and build it around one of my major personality traits, such as wanting to help and protect others.

The guy who plays a power-wank fantasy of the same trope every fucking time.

NEETfag detected. Kill yourself you edgelord faggot.

Contrarian players are the most obnoxious to me.
>Everyone else is being/playing/doing "x"? I'll go "y"!

I'm not the type to always blame the GM, but you know you don't have to accept an evil character if all the others are good, right?
Rejecting characters that won't work is part of the GM's job.
That said, one of my biggest failings is not seeing the signs they won't work before it too late.

'The game should be (x) way'

'How do tiny nanomachines inside someone's body generate cryogenic stuff'

'Change it now it DOESNT MAKE SENSE LOGICALLY'

I hate these people. Sure, it might not make sense 'logically' but who gives a shit it's a game nigga

Sometimes the 'violence against children' is a good way to show that 'holy shit these guys mean business', but it should be used very rarely if at all.

How about doing some fucking liberating instead of sitting there bitching about it?

>Except my group is 25+. Checkmate
>We're like totally mature playing awesome games of pretend literal child rape. I win at internets, yay!
Just stop.
I'm not that user and I don't care what you play, if you "breed", or if you really are virt, but after this post your position is indefensible.
Move on.
I am.

>Contrarian players are the most obnoxious to me.
>>Everyone else is being/playing/doing "x"? I'll go "y"!

Especially when it's 'contrarian race/class' choices. No one is impressed by your Elf Barbarian in D&D, or your pacifist Scum in DH, or your Troll Face in SR. Anti-minmaxing doesn't make it a better character, especially when you act smug about it, and especially when the rest of the table wants to keep playing while you want to brag about how unique your character is.

As a long-running GM? This this this a thousand times this. Not that everything else listed here isn't horrible in some way or another, but this is the fecal cherry on the shit sundae.

Tipping my own fedora into the ring, my personal gripe is players who will latch onto an inconsistency or problem with something an NPC did, and instead of realizing that something might be a sign that said NPC is lying/concealing something/flat out isn't what they're pretending to be, and investigate the dangling plot thread, will drag the game to a grinding halt while they try to convince me I'm doing wrong.

>an inconsistency or problem with something an NPC did
Heh
My favorite thing to do when this happens to me, whether the npc did it intentionally or not, is to just ask leading questions.
>Why *would* he do that?
>That *does* seem strange doesn't it?
Of course I don't have to deal with the lampreys you seem to.

Are you the one from the "playing a game with seven year olds" thread? The one who was forcing his "don't have children" opinions on everyone?

yes

Yeah. it's fun because when it does go right the players will start picking apart everything they thought they knew and they can end up in exciting places.

I've only really had break like that a couple times. Most players I've dealt with are pretty regular, munchkins and weeb wankery aside, it's just the crazy ones really stick in my memory.

>it's just the crazy ones really stick in my memory
Fun fact: that's a survival mechanism.
You never forget eating the red mushroom.

Ahah! I have deduced your identity! Now I... don't know what to do with this information. I am fairly certain that you are too dead set in your opinions for me to change your mind, so I will tell everyone this: this man is unreasonable and will criticize any parents that he speaks with, just for having children. Ignore him.

>Entire group is 25+.
>No children.
Lol holy shit you guys must be abnormally disgusting.

Also kids grow out of diapers pretty fast if you're not a troglodyte and get on top of that.
Not to mention kids are awesome, I babysit a 5 year old who loves my kingdom death monsters for example.

I feel bad for you and your friends..

Contrarianism is a cancer. The beauty of it is that it takes absolutely no effort to look at trends other people have already noticed for you and do the opposite, and for some reason you can pretend this makes you clever. Worse yet, a distressing number of people actually will tell you you're clever for it- "You mean the husband is cowardly and effeminate and the wife is commanding and dominant? And the MECHANIC is a GIRL? Wow, Joss Whedon, you're literally the greatest screenwriter in history!" That's not to say I'm part of that weird group of grognard counter-contrarians who insist that the only right way to do things is the way they've always been done, but people who do this crap rarely stop to think why things are typically done a certain way, and usually it's for a good reason. Joss Whedon is an extremely competent writer who understands how to make good fiction in spite of his annoying tendencies and that is why he is as successful as he is. You, player who thinks a barbarian with maxed out INT is the most creative idea in the history of tabletop, are not.

>Cuck trying to shame people into having children
Get rid of your crab in a bucket syndrome, friend. Just because you have to waste all your time and money on a spawn in a fit of instinctual delusion doesn't mean you have to resent those with a stronger mind.

>picks on others for having kids.
>implying you'd ever even have the chance to accidentally have a kid

I'm not picking on you.
There is no rational reason to have children. Children yield no benefits except emotional, which can easily be gotten through other means.

You're LITERALLY being a slave to your instincts when you have them.

I don't have kids, and my girlfriend is sterile.
I'm just not a cunt who thinks he figured out some ancient secret just because nobody will fuck him.

It's pretty sad to harass people for not having/wanting children just because your girlfriend is sterile
You are a cunt, you literally just attacked someone for saying no one in their group has kids for no reason just because he ( correctly ) stated that not having children means you don't waste your time taking care of one.
You're way too asshurt about this. If you really want kids so bad get a new girlfriend instead of dating a defective human.

Take it outside gentleman.

Players who go off my carefully constructed rails.

I am flat out not good enough to deal with this on the fly, and as such when they do it game quality takes a sharp drop all around.

>tfw try to stick to the rails out of respect for GM
>tfw he later tells us we actually went off the rails

I'm never sure how to feel about this.

I fully acknowledge it's not really the player's fault entirely, but still, those are my least favorite type of player.
Maybe one day, when I am better at GMing, I will have the luxury of having a least favorite type of player based on what kind of characters they play.

Having trouble improvising is fine. We've all been there.

The important thing to know is you shouldn't take it personally. Players "ignoring" your story aren't necessarily doing it because they hate it/you.

Stuff like that makes me happy that i am as good as i am at improvising.

Anywho, to be on topic:
>It doesn't work that way/That's not how physics/That's not physically possible! guy
Yes, because in a world where +20ft giants are dime a dozen, planets don't rotate and people make miniature universes inside balls just so they can play god it's clearly the biggest physical impossibility that the PC just dead-lifted +600kg while on magical steroids.

Yeah, I never really like the people who do it intentionally either.
>Playing mage college game
>All mage party
>Mage college full of awesome toys like magic cannons and shit
>DM has all kinds of fun stuff in the center-ish area, cities, history, quest areas, etc

>other player looks at blank corner of the map
>LET'S GO THERE
>I'LL FAKE MY DEATH SO WE CAN BE PIRATES INSTEAD
>she drags us away from all the cool toys the DM set up
I'm better at dealing with those people now, but it felt like she got a christmas present and just started pissing on it before even opening it.

I've never had a problem, as a GM or a player, asking people to stay on the rails.

"You guys agreed to an L5R of Imperial politics. If you want to have some fights, I can make that happen; if you want to bring the campaign to an end and we do some hack & slash, that's fine too. But I don't want to watch you drag your courtiers out to the Wall and throw yourselves at demons that are going to shove your shit in."

Lol, one person is certainly asshurt.

Calm down junior.

we're talking about the tragic necessity for railroads right now, user.
Join us in mourning our lack of improvizational ability, or relish your own aility.

I have nothing to be asshurt about. I'm not the one who brought up the sob story about my sterile girlfriend

Most obnoxious are the ones that play low intelligence characters and think this means they must always make bad decisions. Seriously, just cause your INT score is less than 10 doesn't give you the right to ruin your fellow PCs plans and then claiming it was "just in character".

Different person, but you clearly have a chip on your shoulder from your inability to get your dick wet.

You follow me chubs?

>Different person
Okay, cuck

Power fantasy players are the worst.

>pol buzzword
>confirmed untouchable virgin

I bet you call yourself MGTOW too, you pathetic loser.

I don't GM, but I hate the people who break the first rule of improv as players.
>I do thing X!
>No! My character does thing Y and stops you!
And i'm not talking about attacking fellow party members or hindering the quest either.

Also edgelords.

kek

Oh sweet summer child.

#NotAtMyTable
Fuck those sjw faggots.

>Samefagging this hard
Even if it's no it's still pretty sad because all it means is that it's TWO (2) cucks who are upset they have vile spawn and have intense crab in a bucket syndrome to drag every down to their life of no free time and responsibilities for no gain.
Literally the only insult you can come up with is virgin.
But you guys don't even need to be insulted, your lack of freedom is insult enough.

Tick tock normie, enjoy your 2 days of free time before you head back to your wage drudgery. Oh wait, you have to look after you kid. There goes your weekend! At least you have enough time to shitpost on Veeky Forums about how good having kids are.

I said take it outside gentleman. Now.

Either buy a drink or get the fuck out. Your ruining it for the other customers.

>All this insane dribble.
>That's actually 2 different posters.
>You're actually a crazy virgin.
Top. Kek.
o
p

k
e
k

Players who give "helpful tips" or "useful suggestions" to the gm, based on their laughable/useless experience.

I don't care how many games you think you've run successfully; keep your fucking opinions to yourself fucko or leave the group

Neither virgin nor NEET. Just a gamer who doesn't want a bunch of shitspawn parasites in his life. And I am happier for it.

You are the manchild, who needs some small shitspawn to make him feel good about yourself. Here's the deal: your kids are going to be just as much of shitters are you are, and you will spend a million dollars just to avoid being alone.

I will spend that on guns and RPG shit and retire early.

Have fun loser.

> virgin
> virgin
> virgin

You do know birth control exists, right retard? That's how I get to have sex WITHOUT having children to take care of, and have money to do the things I enjoy. Like fucking your wife while you're at work earning money to raise your shitspawn while hoping they might grow up and play RPGs with you.

Thats it im calling security

People who flood you with unsolicited advice are closet control freaks and a pain in the ass.

But spazzing out every time someone offers a tip because "shut up I know what I'm doing" is also obnoxious behavior.

>V-virgin!
Okay, I don't have sex.
I can get a whore if I was really desperate for sex.
You can't unbirth your life draining spawn. Great job for doing something everyone can do! Well, except for the guy with the sterile gf.

>He's still going!
You're a bastion of virginity.