Wizarding Tips and Tricks. General Wizard thread

So for the past few Years I have been Forever-DM. Before that I had always played simple melee characters... Fighter, Rogue, twice a Ranger.
Here this weekend I finally get the chance to play within a group again and I have made up my mind to play the Classiest of classes: the Grand and Magnificent Wizard.
I come to you gentleman for advice on how to be the best Wiz I can be. I'm looking for spells that work well together and general Tips/Tricks.
>Background and RP ideas also so very appreciated.
>5e rules in effect.
>Thinking I shall go with an Air Genasi as my race.

All else fails? General Wizard thread for the sharing of your favorite Wizards.

Starting at 5th level as well.

Bump for interest.

When a congregation comes to your tower spreading the words of christ, run away.

create low level magic trinkets and give them as gifts to peasant children. You'll look like a bro and have a bunch of people in the area love you.

>that wanderer is using heathen magics and giving them to our children

I was thinking more orphan children and doing a Grey Fox beggar spies type thing.

Never underestimate the versatility of cantrips.

Spells that only deal damage are dumb, pick up two or three damage cantrips and never look back. Go for utility, and try to put yourself in situations where you can use said utility.

Also:
If you don't pick up Leomund's Tiny Hut, I will find you, and rub cheedle all over your books.

Minor Illusion is best cantrip friend
Div and abjur wizb are pimp, but don't sweat archtype too much
Always try to let the martials do most of the work (you are only there to pull their ass out of the fire with a single spell and be incredibly smug while doing so)
Nothing makes a wizard look cooler or be more effective then hidden, subservient air and earth elementals. Magic Circle and Planar Binding are your friends.
Always whore yourself/spells/your friends out for gold if it is practical, monies are your biggest chokepoint
With above in mind, get a business, learn economics
As fun as blasting can be, usually buffing your pal and siccing him on the enemy is better, as well as earning you brownie points
Don't be afraid to roll them Arcana checks and dick around with all sorts of magical and nonmagical doodads. A basilisk breath poison bomb can be just as good as a fireball (and not cost a spell slot!!!)
Be subtle.
No, seriously, tone it down.
Personal sanctums are personal for a reason, but friends come first
Only fuck the succubutt AFTER enslavement, leave redemption to the paladins, they can smite with their cocks after all
Be friends with a cleric.
Always gain info BEFORE you do something. Leave blindly charging in to the martials, it is what they excel at (and more then you, whatever the fighter/caster fags say)
Try to make wizard friends!
Be practical. If mage hand, a big rock and a lever will do, don't cast fireball instead
On the reverse, if a fireball will do, try not to incite the communist revolution and finance the toppling of the Empire
Get laid yo, wizard doesn't mean you are a bitch, wizard means thou art a pimp
With that in mind, don't get stuck in a tree for eternity cause of some vag, hoes ain't worth it
Always, always, always have a way to gtfo in an instant. Always, always, always be willing to use it. But always, always, ALWAYS treasure your broskis

>Always, always, always have a way to gtfo in an instant. Always, always, always be willing to use it.
Most important thing. If a Wizard can't go "fuck this shit, I'm out" and disappear in an instant, he's not a good Wizard.

>Always, always, always have a way to gtfo in an instant. Always, always, always be willing to use it.
>Most important thing. If a Wizard can't go "fuck this shit, I'm out" and disappear in an instant, he's not a good Wizard.
Look at these faggots and their bitch ass wizards.

If a wizard isnt willing to stand and die with the rest of his party or even FOR the rest of his party he is no true wizard. He is just a rat in a robe.

>Gandalf "dies"
>Comes back even more powerful
Not a good example, he's not even a Wizard. He's just a Celestial playing pretend.

A Wizard has the potential to be a living God. They can lengthen their lifespan, be reborn indefinitely, assume any form they wish, and alter reality to their whim. Why the fuck would they stay to die with some meatheads with sharp sticks?

Pic related. This is how a Wizard 'should' be.

Always, always, always have a way to gtfo in an instant. Always, always, always be willing to use it. But always, always, ALWAYS treasure your broskis

>always, always, ALWAYS treasure your broskis

Both you illiterate wannabe wizbags need to quote me properly.

Look, here you have two kinds of morons.
This guy, he doesn't give a shit about his martial bros, the guys who constantly put their ass on the line for him, bleed for him, and pull his ass out of the fire when the spellbook gets jacked, the components are gone, and the manacles and gags are out in force. 9/10 he ends up getting nailed by his own party for being a dick.

On the off chance he doesn't and somehow thrives, he becomes a lich, and gets nailed by an adventuring party full of meatheads with sharp sticks. The evil wizard usually doesn't come out on top. There was one, ONE guy that made it to godhood, and the rest jerk to his various artifacts worse then weebs to their waifus. Unfortunately, this type of wizard is pretty common ( I blame the constant study required by the profession, it attracts all the autism)

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, we have this stupid cunt. This is your quintessential musclewizard. While the previous guy misquoted me out of plagiarism (being an evil git) this guy just couldn't really read right, because he is an idiot.

This is the wizard who thinks being an 12ft tall monument to magical roid rage is a glorious accomplishment. He's quaffing those potions behind the party's back, then running to the front acting like Conan only with far, far less intelligence. His only magical concern is his gains, and how many dudes are "mirin". Really, the more I think about it, the more apt the comparison to Veeky Forums becomes. For all of this narcissism, he is still an idiot, and probably couldn't divine his way out of a paper bag.

Now, that said. He is at least better then the other guy, and treat him like you would a martial friend.

This guy has it right.

"Broskis" are a dime a dozen. Any chump with a sharp stick can be a martial.

Man, I made this post at like 3am last night, drunk as shit, and I was so very dissapointed that I didn't get a single reply before I crashed. Now I come to browse Veeky Forums and I'll be damned its still going. Thanks guys, some solid advice all around.

I had actually found a nice guide that stresses the importance of utility spells for damage mitigation and battlefield control. I am thinking thats exactly what Im going to strive for. To be the magical backbone of the party and let the rest of my crew handle DPR.

Good man. I hope things go well for you.

The Wizards First Rule ; People are stupid. Given proper motivation almost anyone will believe almost anything.

And as long as your arrive precisely when you mean to, you'll have no problems being a wizard.

Fairly true. Being a Wizards is 80% convincing others you're an all-powerful being, and 20% magic tricks.

Are you referring to Treantmonk's wizard guide?

>Also:
>If you don't pick up Leomund's Tiny Hut, I will find you, and rub cheedle all over your books.

Consider it picked. Sounds like a handy lil spell to have.

Indeed, that is the one.

>I am a little fuzzy on one detail of Wizardry...
As I understand it Wizards can learn any number of spells correct? (Even if they can only have a certain amount "prepared" for the day.) Assuming they spend the necessary time/cost to learn said spell and scribe it to their spellbook?

Is that just from the wizards spell list? Or can they learn spells from other casters lists without Multi-classing into whatever that would be?

Unless something (or someone, looking at you, DMs) says otherwise, you only have access to your class's spell list.

You do, however, have the ability, as a wizard, to acquire all of those.*

*Availabilty may be limited by many factors, including but not limited to research time, funds, spellbook acquisitions, DM fiat, and ability to con fools out of their books.

You can't play Gandalf the Wizard in D&D though. Gandalf is basically a cleric who doesn't wear armor because his DM is homebrewing armor class.

Fire Genasi get a boost in INT

Remember, some of the greatest spells a wizard can have boil down to one simple thing, the right to say yes and no while denying their opponents that ability.