Most fey are human size or much, much smaller

>Most fey are human size or much, much smaller

Tell me about your larger fey.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/DJUDd5y8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbaba
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why give fey a fixed size? Have them change size seemingly at random, or when it's convenient for them to do so

This.

cu chulainn fought a giant with a mole on its hand once. Its mole was its only weakness. It stole babies.

My setting has Catmen as a type of fae spirit that was born as an embodiment of the primal fear felt by prey. They take a form based on large cats, the first predators to hunt the races of man in the dark of night. Ten feet tall or bigger, often clad in tattered clothes and battered armor that adds to their vicious appearance, and wielding weapons that are more designed for looking terrifying than actually being effective. They're nourished by causing people to be fearful of them. Because of this they thrive in places with few other predators to distract from their threat, and they often allow survivors of their attacks to escape and spread stories of them.

>players are chasing a giant
>he shrinks to the size of a mouse and disappears down a rabbit hole

or
>players are picking on a leprechaun
>he suddenly grows to 15 feet tall and roars like a bear

Leprechauns cant change size.

They can if they're magic enough

So like Felaryan faeries?

A giant who sleeps in the ground and has trees growing out of him, who changes the layout so as to confuse those lost in the ground over his body, ultimately leading them to his mouth so he can swallow them.

They arent magic enough though.

>So like Felaryan faeries?
>Felarya

In Basque mythology you have the "Basajaun" or "Forest Lord", who is taller than a human and of great strenght, also it gave to the humans the knowledge of how to make metalurgy and agriculture

I've come up with quite a bit about some giant, malicious fey for my setting.

pastebin.com/DJUDd5y8

Finn MacCool

He built a causeway out of hexagons, and beat up other fey.

Bump

Contribute or don't post at all

Kill yourself

In some myths giants (which in this case were pretty much a type of fae) would appear different sized based on how far they were, but in reverse. Like, if it was hundreds of feet away it would appear huge, but as it apporached you it would gradually shrink until it was smaller than you.

Keeping the thread alive so other people can contribute is a contribution.

If you like that pic OP, check out Brian Froud. He draws a lot of weird and wonderful fey.

No, it really isn't. Bumping is cancer
Isn't he a giant? Or do they fall under the fae umbrella in Irish mythology?

Nah, as I remember people were just taller in Irish Myth times

The largest fey ever would probably be The Humbaba en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbaba

I always stick that greasy fucker into my games wherever I can, along with his mezoamerican cousin who's name escapes me; he's a gator with infinite fractal spiraling rows of teeth.

People bitching about basic functions of image boards is cancer

He was half-faerie in some stories with great hat.

Rolled 6 (1d8)

1) Don't step inside the standing stones up on the mound. Those are the teeth of greedy, sleepy old Grandfather Ogre

2) That cabin out by the woods, the man who lives there loves dogs. He has a dozen or more, feeds them from his own hands. He's raising the pups of the Great Hound deep in the forest, tree-high. He's not a man at all.

3) You'll catch her sometimes if she's quiet, loping along with that awkward gait, watching the birds. When she whistles the men follow her and they never look at her mouth. Her legs alone must be twice their height, but they never mention it when they come back. If they come back.

4) Always two of them. Man and woman. Husband and wife maybe, but they always wear the same face too. They love to measure - if you stand still by them they'll measure every part of you, down to the fingerbones. They love smaller things. They'll make things for you if you let them, from the junk they carry, but they always make them too big. They especially love children.

5) Sometimes you see them flit by at night - bright-winged, butterfly-free. At a distance you can mistake the little ones for fireflies. But when you see the broader glow coming over the curve of the hillside you must remember to look away.

6) The whole bottom of the river is covered in shells and they rattle when you cross the bridge. Shellycoat loves distracting travelers and getting them lost - down her gullet, if she's hungry.

7) You find them in churches - abandoned ones - torturing themselves. They've a fascination with the crucifixion. Sometimes they'll come close to a village, inching along on those long fingers and toes, and try to lure out a priest to talk to them.

8) You have to understand is it's not your wife, your husband. The thing gets into the ground and inside of them, makes them move again. It's not hair - how could hair grow that long? You have to cut it out of the corpse. Get that long strand and follow it back to the beast in the earth.

I really like this post. Kudos.

That ranges from disturbing and cute to disturbing and horrifying. Nice work, I might even steal it.

>That ranges from disturbing and cute to disturbing and horrifying
fey.txt

Rolled 8 (1d8)

>Humbaba
I'm gonna need a D&D 5e stat block on this thing Veeky Forums

>His face is that of a lion. "When he looks at someone, it is the look of death."
>"Humbaba's roar is a flood, his mouth is death and his breath is fire! He can hear a hundred leagues away any [rustling?] in his forest!"
>"he had the paws of a lion and a body covered in thorny scales; his feet had the claws of a vulture, and on his head were the horns of a wild bull; his tail and phallus each ended in a snake's head."

>"Where Humbaba came and went there was a track, the paths were in good order and the way was well trodden ... Through all the forest a bird began to sing: A wood pigeon was moaning, a turtle dove calling in answer. Monkey mothers sing aloud, a youngster monkey shrieks: like a band of musicians and drummers daily they bash out a rhythm in the presence of Humbaba."

His dick is a snake head that's how you know that shit is hardcore

This is a great post

The thing I like most about the Humbaba is the notion of auras or colors it possesses that give/add to its powers. That's just a really neat concept with a lot of mileage in different areas.

For some reason, these beings spooked me. Not in a "holy shit I will die" kind of way, but in a "I dont want to ever know what is actually happenning" kind of way, so I think they are good fey.

Don't see anything about that in the wiki article, but it mentions his severed head works as a tool.

>8) You have to understand is it's not your wife, your husband. The thing gets into the ground and inside of them, makes them move again. It's not hair - how could hair grow that long? You have to cut it out of the corpse. Get that long strand and follow it back to the beast in the earth.

What kind of tool?

Something like medusa's head. I don't know what Humbaba's powers are, though.

Wasn't he that designed the visuals for The Dark Crystal?

The largest fey known to Earth is the Old Dead Evil, who was 50 feet tall. She was an Eladrin, and I just use Berserk rules (the stronger you are, the bigger you are, sort of). Trolls are also fey in my setting, and they're around 10 feet tall. Handholders are around 10 feet as well. Then there are some monsters in the fey plane which don't cross over, and they can get quite large.

>Shamash heard what he had said, and from the sky he sent forth a booming voice: “Hurry to stand against Humbaba! Let him enter not the forest; let him enter not his grove! Let him put not on the seven cloaks! One he wears, but six hath he shed!”

It's there but they call them terrors/radiances on the wiki page. Gilgamesh and Enkida have to overcome the radiances before the Humbaba can be slain.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is great.

IIRC, yes. The concept art at least looked very similar to his art style.

Lot of great stuff there.