What's the closest thing to The Eclipse in your setting?

What's the closest thing to The Eclipse in your setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/n.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Explain. Is this vaguely Berserk related or am I too new?

Very berserk related. Basically:
>Solar eclipse
>Demons n' shit
>Erry'one gets fucked stupid

Didn't know the eclipse was an important part of Griffith's plan. I thought all he had to do was sacrifice his army to be part of God hand.

A blood moon (something that happens like once every 454 years on earth(which also happened a few years ago(which I watched))) happens once every 500 years in my setting. What happens during the night of the blood moon the boundaries between the astral and prime material plane weaken to the point that a beginner wizard could rip a sizable portal between them. This means that unless the heroes of that age set up some structural integrity of the planar boundaries the prime material plane will be invaded by a whole lot of bad stuff that'll make living as a human hell for the next hundred or so years.

I think the Eclipse was caused by the sacrificing of the Army. Or at least that is how I always understood it.

Only Casca gets fucked silly then mind broken.

It's really goddamn sad actually...

The worst thing ever?

The closest thing in our campaign setting was one party member, my PC's partner, made a deal with an eldritch god to become a vampire, was made a vampire slave, and then a huge war between a deep one/fish people army, an undead army, and an army of barbarians and orcs was fought with my character and the rest of the humans/others in the last city holding out for 1000 years.

It's become quite the roller coaster, two years later.

The battle of Angel's Fall. A battle when one PC betrayed the party, leading the large army that was poised to save the world into an ambush, that left close to 1 million dead, including almost every angel that was on the world at the time.

Led the campaign world into becoming the a post apocalyptic fantasy setting, filled with demonic magic.

Periodical outbreaks of the Void consuming large chunks of the world, moving from the outer borders inwards towards the White Spire in the center. Objects, beings, basically everything caught in the Void are erased from existence permanently, yet somehow, every living creature has an innate desire seek it. An outsider is needed to push back the Void and reform the parts of the world that were lost to it (or create new ones in their place).

>I think the Eclipse was caused by the sacrificing of the Army. Or at least that is how I always understood it.
It's berserk so it's hard to tell with all the fate shit so I'll say it's a little of column a and b. God had need/want/Everyone wanted a new apostle so shit goes into motion who knows how long in advance to let Griffith have his choice and everything was right for him to ascend while his army is sacrificed to basically ALL the apostles.

It hasn't happened yet, but its coming.

The closest thing to what's coming though was the Night Terror and the birth of the Dead Continent, when the aristocracy of the western continent decided to consort with infernal powers to become immortal, only to find that 'immortality' actually meant becoming twisted into the Undead. An orgy of destruction followed as the corrupted aristocracy poured out of their palaces to feast on the common folk on the street and in their homes, unable to control their new-found blood lust.

The common folk were saved by daybreak, forcing most of the aristocracy back into the depths of their palaces, but to the common folk's horror many of the dead began to rise as mindless, gibbering slaves to their murderers. Once the aristicracy regained some control they had the living people corralled into breeding and work camps to keep up their supply of food and a slave population to maintain the infrastructure of the old empire.

Some living people still live free, out in the wilderness, but nearly all of humanity on the western continent lives under the boot of their undead masters. Either living in fear of the night, when the masters will stalk the world, or in living of the walking dead that stalk the day.

It's a pretty shit situation for them.

The eastern continent organized a crusade to destroy the aristocracy of the infernal continent, but it was unsuccessful, and some of the returning survivors carried a strain of vampirism with them, introducing it to their own lands.

Once every year, the actual day is unpredictable, but we have our own eclipse. When this happens numerous stones throughout the world start featuring human faces that spew a stream of black bile that infects the ground and causes all sort of unnatural phenomenon and undead. Some lunatics have taken to gathering the bile to experiment on. So far only one man has been successful. He looks forward to the next eclipse.

Yeah, pretty much the effect that a giant Mt. Everest sized space dragon gives off.

Fucking Distis man... why fight the eldritch horrors you were suppose to kill the world from when you can join them then betray them?

It was more of a Third Impact than an Eclipse, but it happened a mere 2000 years ago in my setting.

An advanced ancient civilization was at war with itself, and the greatest arcanist of their kind was researching a grand spell that would end all war for his people. He stayed strictly neutral throughout the many conflicts and when questioned, merely assured them that his incantation would end the war and bring peace to the world.

What his spell actually did was cause everyone to shed their mortal shells and fuse their souls together as a group consciousness, which then fucked off and ascended to the celestial realms, effectively wiping out the entire civilization in one fell swoop, the caster included. He was right in that it ended the war and brought peace to the world, though.

Nobody in the setting knows exactly what happened to the ancients, so it's a mystery I'm looking forward to helping the PCs unravel. It also gives me a good excuse to have weird ruins and ancient weapons dotting the landscape.

>What's the closest thing to The Eclipse in your setting?

>The Green Tide

-At one point in time the planet was infected by a world encompassing eldritch horror; it lived underneath the world's surface and life as was known at the time existed as cancerous growths not too dissimilar from it- living off of it like parasites dwelling in the oceans or in the caverns it created.

-It was an age of perpetual and constant chaotic schizophrenic horrors made flesh.

-Eventually however "True Life" evolved and cultivated itself upon these beings as it infested them: twisting them, consuming them from the inside and allowing billions of other forms of life to burst forth from their corpses.

-This "Green Tide" as they came to call it swept their world, crawling, digging it's roots deeper and deeper to get at their flesh and blood before it finally infected the heart of their chaos underneath the earth.

-It swelled the ancient creature's brain and consumed it's flesh 'till nothing was left behind but a massive husk and a hollowed out corpse underneath the earth.

From that point onward the world was dominated by The Green Tide and it's own comparatively "discreet" & "censored" mock ups of the Eldrich: Insects, Fish, Reptiles, Mammals, etc..

A guy who sacrificed a city that had sworn their lives to his cause to save two womenew he cared about.

Whenever a god wakes up.

That's pretty good.

When the being within the earth's crust that resides in all planes wakes up, calling upon it's creator from the unfathomable nothingness.

The 2090s
Basically this:
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/n.aspx
Except instead of the world actually coming to end things just sort of "passed" leaving everyone vaguely confused and very eager to forget anything happened. It was like the west in the 60s but instead of drugs and social revolution there were nightmares and military revolutions. The new-age stuff was still there.

Lots of would be sorcerers, cultists and crusaders were blue balled out of a rapture. A lot of them have fallen into existential depressions, with their faith in reality or the old gods shaken. Others warn that this seeming normality is only the eye of the storm and a true return on the horizon.

Many normal people had their lives destroyed during the 90s and can't adjust back to the normal world. Some had loved ones disappear without a word, no one will acknowledge or look for them. Some where given totally new lives for seemingly no reason and for good or ill they just have to get used to it. Some people saw thing that couldn't be real, dark corners of our world or horrible bodies under the human mask that can't be found again.

But that's all in the past.
The sociological branch of the World Order claim it was all just mass hysteria anyway.

I never actually read the Golden Age part of the manga (skipped right to the lost children? one) and fuck that whole scene man

I have a two-headed snake deity that consumed most of the other gods (who are actually angels worshipped by men), resulting in the decline of their civilisation and all who inhabit it, along with making him more powerful. However he was punished by the gods to fiery torment, but his other head shed tears that put out the flames. But his sinful head clung to the earth, forcing to remain on earth forever, meaning he often ends up tormenting or aiding humans and other beings, very loosely like Griffith.

>BBEG is leader of doomsday cult that pillages and ritually drinks the blood of their victims.
>Party finally tracks BBEG down to his fort
>Throne room is intricately designed with strange patterns on floor (pic related)
>As BBEG dies, blood drains out into pattern, generating portal
>Fortress is destroyed as it is consumed by portal
>Reality-bending demon comes out of portal
>Up until now game has been very low fantasy
>Demon kills 3/6 of the party
>Paladin sacrifices himself to seal portal with mac guffin they got earlier.
>2 party members left
>Both retire instantly (their choice, not mine)
Will continue campaign with new characters.

Forgot pic because of course I did.

I wonder how that works...

Because the sacrifice is meant to fuel your ascension, sometimes as little as only one sacrifice, so long as the sacrifice is so near and dear to you, it severs you from humanity.

But the case with Griffith, the sacrifice of Guts would be necessary to fully amplify his ascension to God Hand, which makes me wonder if Guts' and Casca's survival somehow introduces a kink in Griffith's power level... because technically the sacrifice wasn't total and complete, as evidenced with Guts' survival as "struggler".

Something that always bothered me when reading because it would leave a huge vulnerability down the plot line for Griffith.

It's kind of a "Harry was the last Horcrux" Situation.
We'll see where it goes in about fifty more years.

What's up with Casca being fucked retarded?

I haven't read or watched berserk, I have only passing knowledge of who the characters are.

During the sacrifice Griffith as he was ascending to become a Godhand literally went nuts and started raping Casca. Possibly he was going to rape her to death until Guts freaked out and cut off his own arm to escape the monster that was holding him

The trauma of being raped by a god thing no doube did horrible things to her mind and body and she was literally left retarded afterwards.

I believe she would or will give birth to the half human/apostle abomination later on down the line.

she did almost immediately, and it was later revealed that the abomination wasn't the child of casca and griffith, it was guts's, corrupted by the demonic spooge

He never meant to rape her to death, and Guts cutting off his own arm was inconsequential to the whole ordeal.

It was meant to punish Guts in a manner that would scar him, much like what Griffith experienced when Guts departed from the Band of the Hawk.

Guts severing his own arm did nothing, because in a page he was immediately pinned down and forced to watch.

And she does give birth to a hellspawn... it was Guts and Casca's love child corrupted from the rape. Did any of you guys read the manga?

>eldritch abomination infected by plain ol' bacteria
I enjoy this

I had forgotten that Guts got in there first and I wasn't implying that him cutting off his own arm had any significane only that being a major part of that event (not a meaningful one) Although I didn't realize it was purposeful on Griffith's part so thank you for clearing that up.

I only recall the events second hand and havn't actually read the manga page for page

Read it.
Or not, Black swordsman and Conviction are getting an anime adaptation pretty soon.

>in about fifty more years.

user, its painful to live now, don't make me suffer through 50 more years of this bullshit.

That middle part is from another hentai

Your world became innistrad/ravenloft

It's literally the Eclipse. Players didn't know of Berserk and didn't realize the whole campaign was leading up to the Eclipse. Hard as fuck not to spill the beans.

True blast to play and plan, though.

That's sort of what I'm planning on leading my group into.

The world is shit and things are getting bad, but they are making their way through somewhat comfortably, and then I'll smack the eclipse at them and watch them sweat on their charsheets.

So will they be able to escape? Or are they just going to die?

Why the fuck would they retire those characters?
Literally witnessing the begging of the end of the world, 1 of the only 2 sentient creatures on earth to witness such a thing and be able to relate how it came to pass.
>"K, can i be a hafling bard now?"

The thing I don't get about the Eclipse is... like... does it go on forever? It's Hell right, or something like that. Can you just kill all the demons and stake out a plot there like the Pandemonium Fortress in Diablo 2?

Anyway in the end I guess the Eclipse is kind of cool. It's just a bit hard to imagine any civilization/world enduring that kind of regular mindfuck though.

We played it already. All but two of them died, alongside every single NPC in their mercenary army. For context, I asked all of them to design a couple NPCs because they wanted to feel close to all of them.

The two that survived did so thanks to out Not Skull Knight.

There's a one-time event where spirits of all sorts will be called into the player's world (probably to be used as soul fuel for the BBEG), but it's more tied to tectonic activity than anything astrological.

Sometimes, you need a long break to think something over.

That long break could be the rest of your life.

So, are the PCs on the Soon-to-be-Dead Continent when all this goes down? Do they have any hints? Or are they going to be traveling by stagecoach at night past an great manor on a hill when all hell breaks loose?

>The trauma of being raped by a god thing no doubt did horrible things to her mind and body and she was literally left retarded afterwards.
There was way more to it than that, involving the level of betrayal and the relationships of the characters involved.

And the Eclipse broke Guts's mind too, just in a different way. I'm no psychologist but he appears to have symptoms of both PTSD /and/ schizophrenia afterwards, on top of the Borderline Personality Disorder he had before meeting Griffith.
The only reason he can still function is... well, you know how firefighters will sometimes set trees on fire to cut off a wildfire's route of expansion? It's kind of like that, but with trauma.

>itt people who don't read enough hentai or recognize obvious edits

Seriously though its pretty obvious

Please tell me that's not the actual dialog from that scene.

The Conjunction of the Spheres, where the stars aligned in just the right way to allow a one way crossing from the planes of the Fair Folk and the plane of dreams to the mortal realm. It was a horrible disaster for everyone involved. The humans broke under the reality warping power of the Fair Folk, but mundane reality is caustic to the Gentry and their proto-elf slave armies, so they rapidly started to fall apart both metaphorically and literally. All the while, living nightmares and things from the collective unconscious of mankind raped, pillaged, and terrorized everyone

It's not. That pic is meant to be one of those "funny because it's in such horrible taste" edits.

Asking that makes me think you don't really know much about berserk, so I have to wonder why you'd even care

Yeah. It's basically that plus the Fair Folk invasion from exalted. But my players don't know either, and what they dint know won't hurt them

Please tell me how your players react to having one of their PCs raped by a demon/godhand/whatever, and then when you say "please roll an impossibly high will save not to be rendered mentally broken by the experience."

Berzerk is something of an odd case for me. Everything about it makes me want to like it. Dark fantasy is very relevant to my interests, as is a historical setting and I must say I love the visual design. However, the author's preoccupation with rape puts me off.

Wizard anti-christ breaking back into reality after being stuck in the infinite void outside filled with old gods, next step is to probably dig up his legion of undying berserkers and go through the process of taking over

at least thats how I understand it will play out, the group is way off from that shit

There isn't some preoccupation with rape. Whenever anything rapey is happening it's one of a bunch of bad things

There was one in september 2015 and in 1982...

And it's shit like this that makes me glad I never read manga. Sometime I think the Japanese have fetish for absurd amounts of suffering.

Whenever a king's line is destroyed his kingdom is unbound by the laws of nature and everything devolves into demon's n shit.

Berserk never presents rape as sexy, only as horrifying and leaving scars that never fade. Plus the first person in the series to get raped is Guts himself, so it's not a power thing either.

Basically it's handled with gravity and never feels like it was just tossed into the story at random. And that's why the rape in Berserk doesn't bother me, even though it would bother me in most other stories.

The Eclipse was a black hole of suffering, built up to for years and intended to bring Guts to the lowest point imaginable. It is the absolute darkest part of the manga, and things never get that dark again. If anything it ends up turning into a weird symbol of hope, since it proves that demons will never be able to bring mankind to their knees no matter how hard they try. And not in the metaphorical sense, I mean the mere fact that survivors of the Eclipse EXIST is considered to be breaking the laws of reality and giving Guts the power to defy fate. He can save people afterwards who it should be literally impossible to save, and give them a purpose for living when they just wanted to die.

Sounds like you, quite literally, are the one preoccupied with rape

Berserk can be a little childish about some things, but yea, rape is most certainly not one of them.

Though in general, I think one of the things Berserk is good about is showing how emotionally damaged a lot of the characters have become. Guts especially, he had a pretty fucked up life, and in a lot of his interactions with people, especially early on, you got to see that.

Hell, you could really talk about how his fucked up childhood led to a lot of the events of the entire story.

>femto raping a chick because guts wouldn't pound his bp

Talk about clingy! Get over it man!

Your mom

City got conquered by demons and a dragon and 5 heroes had to destroy it and bury it away forever.

The closest thing is a typical demon invasion.

A demon king shows up and leads an army of demons and cultists around the place killing, sacrificing, and whatever "domain" the demon king focuses on.
Because of the sheer amount of energy surrounding the demon king and his army, people take the chance to gain power, either by getting elevated to demonhood a la 40k daemon princes, binding a demon to their service, or whatever tickles their fancy.

Blood supermoons are probably rare, but not 454 years rare. 2015 was this

>What's the closest thing to The Eclipse in your setting?
the who now?

Well I ran the Haarlock's Legacy once. So it was exactly that.

Of course guts has severe PTSD, he's been fighting Eldritch horrors for years, waging war since he was 12, and his dad sold his boypussy to a giga nigga

It's arguable guts exists outside of causality because he "died" when he was born

Tentatively calling it "Flatline"

To immortals, they perceive it as the pillars of creatia dissolving- not mere entropy, but an utter reduction of the "What-Could-Be". They can smell and taste and hear reality crumbling around them, threatening to compress into a single -ism.

Visually it registers to mortals as the sun and stars simply going out and all color fading into stark black and white (Think Mad World). The immortals say that mortal man simply isn't capable of feeling existence dying around them, but I will say for mortal man that we have always looked to the skies for answers and guidance.

But the sky is a mirror: a looking glass that reflects what the Iris sees and what the Iris sees are stars. Stars that dot the planet that reside in each man, woman, and child. The sky reflects their struggles and their accomplishments in the myriad perspectives you could view them in and the brain behind the Iris sees it just so: As blindingly bright white light- a culmination of all things that were, are, and can be.
People are stars that light up the night, that void of "no-you-are-not" that tries to engulf and take you, but those still holding onto the fire within them cry out in barbaric yawp, "I AM". That is their Star.

But fire fades and stars dim. When one is snuffed out, another rises in its place to burn just as luminously as its predecessors, using all the star-stuff that made its collapsed forbears. Flatline is what happens when all the stars begin to fade: when mortal man stops believing in the What-Could-Be. When their white light is filtered through a unprism that condenses the infinite into a singular state of being. Some prophets describe the coming of Flatline as "the birth of destiny".

That was beautiful

In one of my ever developing Homebrews...

The closest I have is what's essentially a Polar Shift that wreaked great havoc on the Medieval Civilization at the time. Not!Rome sunk into the sea, throwing the Super not!HRE into chaos as the continent seemingly entered a little Ice Age. To make matters even worse, the Emperor and all his sons died in not!Rome meaning that pretty much anyone can lay claim to the throne. If they want to, many of the Nobles are just fighting for utter survival as the seemingly never ending winter set's in. To make matters worse, the Christenized Viking equivalents are migrating down south since fantasy Scandinavia is now practically uninhabitable. Further threatening the German expys very survival.

And then you have Cossacks conquering not!Novgorod and rampaging through not!Eastern Europe. The kicker? Fantasy Europe has it easy. The fantasy ME is now literally just one big desert and civilization has all but completely collapsed save for one coastal city ruled by a alliance between the Hashashin, the Merchant Kings, and the Mamalukes. Fantasy Asia wound up suffering through a big famine that weakened the Jade Empire immensely. To the point where Genghis Khan just waltzes right in, defeats the Mecha Confucian Scholar, and declares himself Emperor.

Oh, and you had three Saints getting corrupted and becoming expies of Archaon, Pinhead, and finally Mozgus. One becomes the Pope and is so brutal he practically kicks off the Reformation early, one is burned at the stake and becomes a campfire horror story centuries later, and the last is impaled by a lance.

Looks like a Negator.

it's not meant for tumblr faggots, stick with dark souls fanfiction or something