Trying to get away from generic european fantasy for my next game setting

Trying to get away from generic european fantasy for my next game setting.

What're some other cool cultures and mythologies I could use?

Other urls found in this thread:

themoviespoiler.com/2016Spoilers/AngryBirds.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well not-Japan is over done.
So is not-Arabia.
And not-Vikings

Petty much everything sucks.

Have you tried looking at sword & sorcery and pre-history? What about native American, Mayan, and Incan cultures?

>American, Mayan, and Incan

India. Hindu cosmology and mythos is pretty awesome.

Use Civil War era America. Most
People are familiar enough with the setting, the tech is fun, and the background war can literally be anything.

Cambodia's a pretty neat place. There's an episode of Expedition Unknown about it, if you have Netflix.

Japanese. Not even joking, some of the stuff about youkai as well as Shintoism is really cool

Nazis

I suggested civil war, but this works real well to - see Indiana Jones, Hellboy, Captain America, Wolfenstein, etc.

Make a setting with 4 Pantheons,one for each cardinal point: Sumerian-Mesopotamian,Egyptian,Greek-Minoan and Ancient Canaanite.

Oh man, this clip makes me really wish Rokka no Yuusha hadn't fucked itself at the end.

Legit though, try Mesoamerican settings. You'll find a lot of juicy bits for a campaign.

India.

>Rokka no Yuusha hadn't fucked itself at the end

How did it fuck itself? Give spoilers.

Youtube culture can get a little weird.

All obsessed with zit popping and woodworking.

Plus, you have to love any setting where "dude with a giant eyeball in his asshole" is a legitimate monster to throw at your players.

For starters, the whole reveal at the end of the traitor, Nashetania, was the most obvious thing in the world. It was something anyone could have seen coming from the very beginning of the series, and was made even more obvious during episode 4 when she broke a sacred tablet to the gods. Literally killed any mystery the series had going by that point, and then stomped on the pieces.

Second, the reveal of the last two heroes was the biggest asspull in the world. Literally, an extra one comes out at the very end straight saying "Sorry I was late" and another one is hinted at through a massive cliffhanger left on after credits scene.

Also, more or less broke whatever good quality of animation it carried. Like, there are stills you can find where some of the characters faces are missing for more than 10 seconds at a time.

Ones that you make up yourself. Seriously try it.

Greco-Roman era, or jason and the argonaughts style

Wild-west, Darktower style.

WILD WEST
I
L
D

W
E
S
T

I have never seen a half decent Not-Arabia game. And I desperately want one.

I'm literally just sitting here getting annoyed watching the standard anime paradigm of a teenage nancy boy beating up four hundred burlyman warriors. When did I get so tired of this stuff?

Cool Exalted clip, though.

I always wanted to try running a setting based on the insane ravings of Dale Gribble and his ilk.

Either an Ancient Aliens inspired setting with sky men coming down to teach / enslave / experiment with pre agriculture man kind. Or a more modern post Rosewell America setting with cover ups, lights in the sky, and men in black suits roaming the Apalacians for bigfoot.

Including lots of sacred geometry, reptilians, new age cultists lead by men possesed by 4th dementional beings, astral projection babies, and rumors of a new era on the horizon.

I don't put any truth into any of this, but I got the idea after watching that infamous spirit science youtube channel for kicks. Reading Melchizedek's Flower of Life books was also a good acid trip of Egyptian spirit guides and Scientology levels of weird creation myths.

Most might find it incredibly stupid, but the idea of Jewish refugees from Mars coming to Earth because they abused their nucear Kabala auras for magic to destroy their atmosphere is just crazy enough for enterainment for me.

The reveal wasn't obvious at all in the LN, if it makes you feel any better.
Anime was shit though.

I agree that having extra heroes at the end was stupid, but the alternatives are:
(1) change the premise; which would have been worse
(2) end the series; they should have, but >muh economic incentive

They should have changed the ending for the anime, end it right there.
Was it even well received enough for a shot at season 2?

Not-polynesia

Bronze age near east. Or the dark ages that followed the bronze age collapse.

I'm currently constructing a low-fantasy mesopotamina bronze age setting and it seems promising.

INDIAN MYTHOLOGY

Delta green/call of cthulu but less serious?

That'd be a pretty fun casual game with a few buddies.

South east asia nigga

Try doing actual medieval fantasy and not the weird mirror universe '''medieval Europe''' that generic fantasy seems to base itself off of.

My thoughts exactly.

I've done commission art for those two.
Tyra and her husband, right?

Not-mongols
Not-inuits
Not-tibet
Not-slavs
Not-africa
Or just plain MAKE EVERYTHING UP faggot.
And let your characters be exotic outlanders from medieval not-europe if they want to.

OP, I assure you all mythologies are interesting. And all of them have a good deal of info in english if you look for it.

What are the themes you're looking for?

When did Veeky Forums turn into /a/'s little roleplay corner?

Monk/barbarian multiclass grill?

High Test Wild West?

The setting takes place in a Tidal locked planet. One face of the planet faces permanent light, while the other is in eternal darkness. The habitable zone in the area with permanent Twilight.

There are no seasons and climate is ridiculous predictable. All climatic patters from Earth are there, but they are fixed in zones with no seasons and no night-day cycle. Certain areas of the planet have strong and everlasting winds, even eternal hurricanes, while rivers and oceanic currents have constant flows.

No animal or plant ever migrates. Flowers blush all the time. Plants have a tendency to grow diagonally towards the Sun. Crops can be planted all year long. Grain storage are worthless for anything but war. Volcanic activity allows some settlements live in the dark side of the planet.

Massive extinctions have been caused by solar flares of the star, an old red dwarf, older than the galaxy.

Move eastwards. Slav fantasy.

Egypt. Such well documented and extensive mythology, so why is it not used more often in fantasy?

>generic european fantasy
is a relatively modern US invention. Try something closer to the actual thing. Or, failing that, greco-roman setting sounds fun.

>And not-Vikings
>Notvikings
>Not basically europe

European fantasy means "Anglo+Germanic+Vikings" that's it.

On topic:
Africa, asia (you know, the OTHER parts of asia everyone ignores), europe (you know, the other parts of europe everyone ignores), india, middle eastern

Hawaiian mythology and culture would be a good one, I haven't seen any settings based on it so far. A story about NOTking Kamehameha the First with all the magic, monsters and gods thrown in would be a good place to start.

India for Hinduism's bizarre cosmic morality, or ancient China.

Can confirm, dark tower/high fantasy mashup is fucking amazing.

I would also suggest Grecco-Roman or just classical era style settings.

>Trying to get away from cliches
>What cliches could I use instead
None, you dumb motherfucker. Best to try ahistorical settings and/or just fantasy kitchen sink, Might&Magic style. Or stuff like Thorgal. Or Conan from the movies, as the one from short stories is... well, pretty much generic medieval fantasy.

I wanna see someone do a decent Southeast Asian game. Like, I've thought for a while about doing sort of a Thai ghost story game, but I don't know what kind of system or where to start, you know? And homebrewing is a dangerous business.

Anyways, OP, what stuff do you know about or are you interested in? I think that's where I start looking if I'm you.

Try not!Korea in the 14-16 century.
Or not!Atlantis/Carribean adventures.
Or just good old Balkan fun battling against not!Turkroach hordes (i have a personal dislike for muzzies because they burned down my family home in Bosnia so before someone screams "/pol/tard" they should do some actuall research on that "religion of peace")

>America Fuck Yeah
Kill yourself

Entire South-East continental Asia could qualify, really. But good idea indeed

This is grinded to the ground thanks to over-use

>You should totally make another Grome setting! We don't have like few dozens of them already
Seriously?

Too macho Mary Sue even for Filipinos

This.
Homebrewing is fun.

A great idea for modern day tongue in cheek games, but I think this could only work as one-shots and would be really hard to use as continous setting given the nature of it

Unless homebrewed, most pre-existing settings that try to pull this just fucking sucks.

>Overdone
>Nothing to do
>Nothing to do
>Overdone
>Ends up as cliche storm
Making up sounds like the real solution

There was a French (or Belgian?) comic series about such world. Kicked ass and was really, really weird post-apo world (since Earth stopped at certain near-future point)

As a Slav I say - no. Just no. If done by non-Slavs, it's just steaming pile of shit. And if done by Slavs, it's just Slavic version of generic European fantasy, with kniaz replacing prince charming and Baba Jaga instead of witches.
Literally nothing of interest, unless you've got well-done Slavic setting by Slavs and end up with Kiev Russian setting, but to fully grasp all the things within it, you would have to be Slav yourself - know that from experience already, when using few book settings on non-Slavs and they didn't even understand what the fuck was going on.

Overdone to the point of nausea

India's shit. China can be interesting if you have competent GM. If the GM is incompetent, then there is only Warring States period that can be touched.

Oh man, the Chinese warring states period. Definitely the high point of Chinese history.
On one hand you have great philosophers/political thinkers like Lao Tzu or confuscius hanging around... and then there's this whole section of the history the historians just labeled "noteworthy assassins"

After reading all this thread I've got a single conclusion
Most anons don't see a difference between one-shot scenario settings for a specific mini-campaign and building entire world/game around the same meterial.

Revolutionary France.

30 years war. Perfect for murderhobos and adventurers!

Guilliver's Travels.

The slav thing is also applied to everyone.
Just replace slav with germanic, chinese and southeast-asia.

This is among the least self-reflective posts I've seen on Veeky Forums.

It's like a kettle as a judge in a colour-competition for pots.

What about doing historical japan, arabia or vikings?
Then just make their folklore real?
Because most fantasy version of those cultures do little but grab the surface elements.

>tibet
>nothing to do
Right right right, lets just ignore that part where tibet had a shamanistic civil war where one faction enlisted demons and their king lied so much his tongue turned black and got magic properties.

I think modern mythology is pretty cool.

I have a co-worker who's always talking about how the earth is flat, that bigfoots and dogmen are real, that the world's elite are using NASA as a front to siphon money for their secret project: building an enormous underground bunker to protect them from God's eyes so that when a wrathful God comes to strike them down at the end of days they're safe, that the government is cloning celebrities secretly (now this one I don't understand), all that. He scoffs at the idea of extraterrestrial visits, naturally enough. He's not an idiot.

I love talking to him because in his worldview, he's like the protagonist in the beginning of a postapocalyptic novel. I've never been more inspired by somebody I've met.

He's not even insane- he's perfectly lucid. He's got a sharp mind, he works complex systems daily and is fantastic at his job, he can hold a conversation about literally anything... but if you let him choose the conversation, I guarantee you it's going to be about how bigfoots come from the dimension of literal Abrahamic Hell, which is tearing into ours.

I'm not making any of this up.

The planet is a giant Diamond.

asian religions and mythology.

Egyptian is an easy one and you can put a spin on it by doing an Egyptian world but move away from a desert area and do something like egypt set in england.

you could follow norse mythology but you may have to do more research on norse mythology to avoid pissing off anyone who knows more about it then you.

you can always think about time your world is set in rather than where it is set in, like steam punk, future tech, alien tech, stone age, modern age with magic introduced.

Every character in that show felt like they were from some kid's "original character" on deviant art

The world has 2 waring factions of gods Egyptian and Norse set in not-waring states china. don't forget to give out not china names or make up a language of the gods. There i did creativity for you.

Australian Aboriginal mythology / Dreamtime stories could make an interesting change of mythological scenery.

so stone age cave man setting?

... and now make ENTIRE SETTING out of it.
Go on.
It's super easy, so go

I mean, Tibet already is a setting. People live there and have to deal with problems and go on adventures and whatever. If you write that down and then make, say, mythology real, then you've got a modern supernatural setting. If you emphasize some rebellion, you've got a military setting. If you go way back to the medieval ages, you've got a D&D setting.

>but you may have to do more research on norse mythology to avoid pissing off anyone who knows more about it then you.
This applies to every single RL-based setting, you mong.
I still remember when my group from the uni was looking for new GM, as the old one simply graduated. So we've got ourselves weeb from Maths department.
Thing is - we were all on Far East studies. His perception of "mysterious Asia" was so cringeworthy we dropped him in no time.

Not hard in the slightest if you are remotely familiar with Vajrayana and Tantrik cosmology and historical and mythical figures like Milarepa...let alone caste systems and the inner workings of the four schools.

>People live there and have to deal with problems and go on adventures and whatever
>or whatever
>Bunch of empty ideas without any real concept behind them or texture
I fucking love Idea Guys like you, who always claim they can spin a setting, but when they are asked about just about general concept for the setting, they just start shitposting about "whatever you make out of it, man".
Fucking pathetic.

There is a very simple reason why certain stuff isn't made into settings. They simply don't work for it.

Gee, it's almost like there's some overlap between people who like anime, and people who like tabletop games. Bizarre...

... then go on, spin a setting, instead of talking about how easy it is.
Call it a dare if you need to.

5e Barbarian can have decent AC naked now (they get Dex/Con like the Monk gets Dex/Wis, and they can still use a shield), so maybe she's just a 5e Barb.

I already have using the story of Dorje Shugden as a template using the old Kara Tur setting as backdrop.

I'm not that another user but if you expect me to regirgitate information about Tibet into a .txt file for you to criticize because I believe that actually existing places can be roleplaying settings you are fucking stupid

You could do an entire campaign revolving around hunting terma treasures, or finding the mad monks practicing variant gcod.

Hey guys.
I wanted to offer a suggestion that has been given already in the thread.

Basically, all Mythology is fun if you look at it from a different angle.
The standard is AngloSaxonNordic but you can look elsewhere in Europe for more fun.

The Witcher looked eastwards (from my Western European POV) and it was really fun.
But there's also Greco-Roman/Byzantium, which has been somewhat explored already.
And there's also Iberian Mythology.
Little is known about the pre-Roman era but what is known is enough to produce something very interesting. And even if you push it forward to the dark Ages, the Taifas and Northern Kingdoms, with enchanted Mouras and the mix of Arabian and Celtic-Iberian Mythology, offers so much space for adventure. It's Not-Arabia with a European flavour.

You can also mix things, user.
For example, I love the concept of Native American, African but with Western Fantasy adventure tropes. Especially África.

I also really like China, Vietnam, Cambodjan and Indian Mythology.
But I'm not comfortable with the super exxagerated powrlevels of their heroes.
So I enjoy doing it a wee more gritty but keeping the fantastical landscape.

Eh, I'm okay with it, since he wasn't just just HUGH! HAH? NAAANI? parrying giant greatswords with his fist and shit.

He fought like your average D&D rogue.

Southeast Asia has great monsters in general between the aswang and manaanganal.

5e barbarians are ultimately stymied by the fact that their Dexterity and Constitution will have a difficult time stacking up to the half-plate armor they are entitled to.

A 4e barbarian (berserker), on the other hand, can have AC 21 from level 1 (10 base + 4 Dexterity/Intelligence modifier + 5 Arid Land Heartland + 2 Unarmored Agility + 2 Defender Aura).

For reference, plate armor and a heavy shield gives AC 20 at level 1. Thus, a barbarian (berserker) can have even higher AC than that while completely unarmored.

Everything outside the red blobs is fair game tdbqph famalam

>I have no ideas
>But if you expect from me any delivery, you are the bad guy
Fucking lovely

Why not try and go for an American fantasy type thing? Little Nemo, Americana, Wild West, Lovecraft and Wizard of Oz can be a fun and underused combo.

Not him but I just gave four campaign seeds in the last few posts. Just read up on Tibetan culture and history then apply your favorite Asian crunch (Rokugan, OA, etc.) with nameswaps.

When have you actually played a setting based on anything Finnish?

I have a hard time grasping how a Finnish setting would be rarer than a not!Spain letalone not!Greece.

I guess, but with stuff e.g. giant snake as big as a mountain range, trickster animals fucking with you, that kind of thing.

It was recieved well enough cirtically on the whole however is it sold incredibly poorly in Japan and that's what gets you a season 2 usually.

Now back to the Wailing Demon Lands with you, demon scum.

>tfw get Finnish campaigns all the time because our DM is a Finn

You're acting like a cunt

>When have you actually played a setting based on anything Finnish?

Rovio makes Angry Birds and is Finnish.

themoviespoiler.com/2016Spoilers/AngryBirds.html

>Red finds Mighty Eagle looking through his binoculars to spy on an old lady bird. When Red looks through it, he spots the pigs placing TNT and dynamite around the village. Red, Chuck, and Bomb rush back to the village and come across the pigs stealing the eggs while the other birds are attending a party the pigs threw for them. Chuck rushes into the party to warn everyone while Red and Bomb run to the ship. They grab onto the net holding all the eggs. Bomb climbs up the chain to try and blow it up, but Leonard and his henchpigs spray him with a hose, knocking him and Red into the water.

>The next morning, all the birds in the village see the ruin of their homes and the loss of their eggs. Peckinpah approaches Red and expresses remorse for not listening to him when he suspected the pigs. When asked for a plan, Red says they must make their own boat and follow the pigs back to their island, and they are gonna have to get angry if they want their eggs back.

>The birds build their boat and attach the giant slingshot to it. They arrive at Piggy Island outside the pigs' city. Leonard, who also happens to be their King Mudbeard, presents the eggs to the other pigs as they prepare to feast on them. The birds then set up the slingshot to launch themselves into the city.

Where were you when Angry Birds redpilled kids the world over?

>Mighty Eagle gets all the credit for the egg rescue

>shamanistic civil war where one faction enlisted demons and their king lied so much his tongue turned black and got magic properties.

I was in a campaign where the setting was the Warring States era of ancient Chinese history. That was pretty good.

Any recommendations for sources on Central/South American cultures?

Specific European fantasy.

>generic European
>never truly European at all and rather some hollywood Americanized pastiche

In Darkness and Secrecy or Dark Shamans both by Whitehead.

>>America Fuck Yeah
>Kill yourself
No, you kill yourself.

>5e barbarians are ultimately stymied by the fact that their Dexterity and Constitution will have a difficult time stacking up to the half-plate armor they are entitled to.
20 Constitution (which you'll want as a Barbarian anyway) and 14 Dexterity (what you'd have as a medium-armor wearer anyway) will give you the same AC as half-plate. The only way to go better is to take the Medium Armor Master feat and go with a 16 Dexterity, which is fine, since you're spending a feat and pumping a tertiary stat just to get +1 AC.

And aside from all that, "you can get better AC with method X" does not in any way refute my original point, which is that a Barbarian can have a decent (decent, not amazing) AC while naked.

And never forget, Barbarians aren't an AC-based class, their survivability is based on hit points and resistance. Having a decent AC is just a bonus.

>it sold incredibly poorly in Japan and that's what gets you a season 2 usually.
And more importantly, it failed to substantially increase the sales of the manga, which is the main purpose of all these anime adaptations. Most studios will happily take a loss on an anime if it drives people to buy up the manga in order to finish the story.