Which city has the best Veeky Forums scene?

Which city has the best Veeky Forums scene?

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/man-arrested-for-alligator-sex/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_Lord
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Any major metro area has a large scene, but how do you define best?

Titillated Gator scene?

>large, active community
>wide variety of games played
>high quality game stores

This is the metric I'd go by.

Austin, NYC, Indy and Milwaukee

I bet florida has alot of blindwater congregation players for warmachine just for giggles.

Seoul, South Korea doesn't have the biggest Veeky Forums scene, but it has a very interesting Veeky Forums scene.

What makes it particularly interesting?

For the first time in my life, I'm absolutely sure I shouldn't have this boner.

Atlanta, surprisingly.

And man in OP's pic is a fucked up will-be-murderer who paints all of humanity in a bad light. That being said, what a fucking boss. Takes out a 12 foot dinosaur in self defense and treats it like his prison bitch.

>Any major metro area has a large scene, but how do you define best?
>>large, active community
>>wide variety of games played
>>high quality game stores
>This is the metric I'd go by.
What of the Iowa City area?

How so?

Well, as an expat living in South Korea, most of the people I played with fell into one of three groups:
Koreans
English teachers
Soldiers

It's a diverse crowd. It's an international crowd. It's a well-traveled crowd.
The soldiers bring verisimilitude to the roleplaying experience with their machismo and practical experience.
The expat teachers come from America, Europe, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. They bring their education, their cultural differences, and their travel experience to the table.
The Koreans bring a wonderful enthusiasm to the gaming table, along with a refreshing collectivism (they actually help clean up!) and a unique perspective.

You can't really play in people's homes in Korea; the spaces are just too small. Instead, gaming groups usually play in cafes, or bars (making for some very interesting roleplaying experiences) or in boardgame cafes such as The Dice Latte.

Compare that to gaming in Madison, WI. It's mostly college students that have never been outside of the USA in their lives, but think they know everything there is to know about the internet because they spend 8+ hours on the internet every day. And they are really into social justice. I mean, don't get me wrong. I have met some great people since coming to this city, but I can't play a long term campaign with most of the people I've gamed with here.

Anyone here from Connecticut?

>but think they know everything there is to know about the internet* because

*About the world.
Typo.

I second the Austin and although I haven't been to Milwaukee, friends of mine around there tell me it's not half bad too

Connecticut represent!

ayy where are you famiry?

>Next time you try to kill a man, you best get the job done. Now you're my bitch forever.
Kek

I mostly go to either the Portal, the Battle Standard, or The Tabletop Shop- I'm out of New Britain. Yourself?

East Hartford, here. I do most of my tabletop gaming online but I found a tabletop shop in Buckland.

I'm moving to Fort Collins, Colorado soon. They have a shop called Gryphon Games; any experiences?

Well g'dang- is it that retro gaming shop that also sells mtg stuff? I've been there but all my friends frequent other spots.

No, there's one where the gamestop and petsmart is. I seen it in passing. I would like to do more tabletop not online, so I might check it out.

Aussie here that used to live in Canberra where there used to be a nice group that was a good mix for d&d plus various tabletop games. I am in coffs harbour now and there is a growing tt and rpg scene though its a very small and i dont have as much time to play any more due to work and wife.

If it's in that plaza then that's likely the battle standard. I like it but it depends on what you play- their stock is iffy sometimes.

Fake article.

snopes.com/man-arrested-for-alligator-sex/

Yep! That's the place. What things do they tend to stock, then?

Philadelphia has a decent mtg scene. Only problem is that we can't get any GP's because of how the labor unions have their contracts set up with the convention center. Damn shame.

New England in general is pretty good

>NYC
nnnnnope. Three shops worth mentioning not counting geedubs (which recently moved from the location they had for 20ish years to a space the size of a closet) and for wargaming you're mostly SOL.

Fuck, I miss Neutral Ground

Most of the people in the store play 40k, warmachine/hordes, or mtg. there's some other stuff but those are the big ones.

That doesn't sound too bad, but that's coming from someone who wants to expand their horizons as their only familiar with d&d 5e and labyrinth lord

I am familiar with D&D because I have a pulse, but the other one I've never heard of. What is that and what sort of tabletop stuff are you looking at?

Labyrinth Lord is a knockoff version of old D&D. B/X (from '81), specifically.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_Lord

>Milwaukee

Moving up there in August once my job training is finished. Is it that good for 40k, Kill Team, or D&D 5th?

Looking at trying out Shadowrun, and I heard 40k is pretty fun. I'm a bit more experienced with tabletop gaming than before, but any exposure is good. Those are the systems that caught my interest.

I can't say I know much about shadowrun but I have played 40k. It's definitely not an easy game to dip into- the price can be up there.

I'm out for tonight but I'll be back tomorrow. I am sorry I am weak, but it is late.

Goodnight user, maybe we'll continue talking if the thread is still up.

>Gaming console arrested for sexual assault.

Sacramento, CA. I'm sad I'm moving away, really.

Surprisingly the Salt Lake City area has a very healthy Veeky Forums scene. Within the greater SLC area there are at least seven game shops. Comparebthat when I lived in Maryland and had one, maybe two, in the entire county(which was bigger than the Salt Lake area).

Well both Wyrd and CMON aren't too terribly far away, so that doesn't shock me too much.

I think Norfolk and the surrounding towns have a shitload of FLGS establishments, military types like their Warhammer I guess?

Yeah, NYC rents are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too high for an FLGS to take off, you have to go up to Westchester to get any real play.

I imagine Seattle is up there since a fair amount of Veeky Forums shit comes from here. I don't really have much to compare it to though

Has anyone ever ran a game set in the Florida that seems to exist from the news?
ya know, filled with insane people and public masturbation?
or at least used the fabled Florida Man as a reoccurring character or even as the bbeg?

I'm starting to believe Florida Man is That Guy, but a cool That Guy.

Yeah but that guy still fucked a peacock. So it is sorta true. I liked the alligator revenge fuck better.

Anyone in Melbourne, Australia? Just moved here, looking for some mates to play games with

A year ago or so we ran a low power/street level superheroes game. One of the big BBEG showdowns was interrupted when Florida Man arrived on vacation like a force of nature. His power was a mix of invulnerability and a field that caused utter chaos around him.

Planning on running a Shadowrun campaign in Florida where everything went to shit and with all the minor corps and gangs trying to rise up most days end up being a Smokin Aces job. I'm giving the option for a random 1/1 mystery contact, which would be Florida Man. Basically making him a 600bp superhero adept wearing nothing but a towel for a cape and skid-marked tighty whities. Everything is going to be equally disgusting and confusing.

Fairfield County reporting in. If anybody knows a local X-Wing or Infinity scene in the area, I'd be much obliged, because I haven't found jack.

The Midwest/Southwest seem to have a far more robust gaming community, despite far lesser population density. I'm quite envious.

Everybody thinks military people are big manly tough men but most of them are nerds

Phoenix, Arizona.

Eh, according to contact rules in SR(based off 4e since that's what I play) being based and affecting the area of Florida he'd be what, 2/3 points instead of 1? Loyalty would remain 1 of course.

>Central MA
>Basically nothing

Am sad. I've been trying to find a live group to join but all I can find are bring-your-own board game nights and a MtG meetup at the LGS.

I can tell you there appears to be nothing in South Hampshire, specifically the Southampton area.

Only been there a couple times but GAIJO or whatever it's called is historical wargames heaven

What system would you use? Unknown Armies? All Flesh Must Be Eaten? Or GURPS?

I can't give enough of a shit for a joke insert mystery character. It's more of a wildcard thing.

Street level Unknown Armies would be a good fit.

It'd be a good way to ease things from people weirdness to magical people weirdness.

Florida sounds like a cool place to run a modern game.

Lyon has an impressive Veeky Forums scene, from the board games cafés to the big LGS in the 3rd district (one of them owns the ground floor of a whole 19th century building block). The old stores in the city centre have closed, except for the GW, but it is basically an empty 1-man store nowadays.

>you will never go down as the first guy who made an alligator his concubine

you can still be the first with crocodile

Destiny calls

Atlanta definitely. Lots of players and play styles. RPGs very strong, mtg very strong, a really good x-wing scene. Wargaming has suffered since GW started turning the screws but it's still way better than most.

I haven't been to Austin in more than 10 years, but it was great when I was there.

NYC and the surrounding area is terrible for rpgs, but the mtg scene is pretty strong. NJ is only ok for rpgs but way better than New York.

I've gamed in Tallahassee, and OMG it was like 12 Florida Men (and Women) gathered. Right down to the nervous breakdown from the chick mid-game and the biweekly post-game orgy.

Athens, GA is supposed to be a pretty happening place, but the players were terrible. Maybe I bludnered into a bad bunch. They weren't as bad as the Florida game, but you don't have to be to suck.

Would you move to a different town to have a better tg scene?

Definitely.

I'm looking for a new job, so the possibility of their being a Veeky Forums scene is really important to me, especially coming from a small college town with 4 LGS's.