Have you ever played as a cripple? I don't mean somebody with a perfect handsome scar across their eye...

Have you ever played as a cripple? I don't mean somebody with a perfect handsome scar across their eye, I mean somebody really got fucked up and lives with it daily. Does this make roleplaying more interesting or more tedious when the rest of the party is way ahead of you while you're hobbling along behind?

Yeah, a paladin who had lost a leg in a war and was incredibly bitter about it.

Had a -3 DEX mod, and he wore a specialized prothesis that allowed for basic movement, albeit slow (no running/jumping).

Upon being granted a Wish near the end game, he Wished for a party member's wife to be restored to life after dying of a disease deployed by one of the BBEGs lieutenants.

Oops, meant to attach his pic. One of my all time favorite characters to play.

I had a character develop a severe limp and walk with a cane after being injured in an assassination attempt due to several high-risk high-vis actions by the party.

It changed him up completely. He pretty much abandoned melee combat in favor of sniper rifles where he felt he could more easily get away if needed. Doesn't mean he wasn't afraid to use his cane as a weapon if needed, but he couldn't get away from a threat without assistance.

See The necromancer who lost a hand due to the owner of the cursed ax player also knowing who "Vecna" was got anoying, pretty damn quick, as it was years before there was any rule made so you didn't have to drop your staff that I could use to argue that somatic components don't use both hands. Fortunately even back then drow were mentioned as being good prothesis-makers, and I could afford to enchant the damn thing as a ring I didn't want to switch for a better one.
Oddly enough, the fact that he also lost his junk to typical name-level necromancer hijinks only came up twice, and the DM ruled that somehow he was not immune to seduction and could still aim urine like a little gun when escaping a trap that called for it...both rulings still puzzle me.
"What in the Nine Hells is a 'lich-born half-dryad' and why is your token evil part member carrying one around, papoose-style?" you ask? That is truly a long story...

I actually enjoyed playing a mute who had his throat horribly damaged by an undead attack in his backstory...the role playing challenge of constantly evocatively and eloquently describing his gesticulations and expressions forced me to be a better gamer.

This thread reminds me of Simon Green's eponymous "Wolfe" who fought with an ax, even though a latter book reviled that he was, in fact, the grown up Prince Rupert who was a fencer (and lacked the signature eye-patch).

>the rest of the party is way ahead of you while you're hobbling along behind?
>hobbling along

I expected Veeky Forums to have been keeping up with our favorite zombie-cop better than this.

Shadowrun is a game about, among other things, cybernetics. Prosthetic are generally a replacement for injured tissue, though.

Both eyes, inner ears, right arm, spine. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and caught enough of an IED to leave him a broken cripple in a VA hospital. His enhancements came with a hell of a lot of strings and debt and restored functionality without curing the nightmares and intense memories of the past.

>tfw you actually have an a e s t h e t i c scar across your cheek

The scratch you made with kitchen knife to look "cool" is not a scar.

Played a mute in a text based one-shot.

Helped me rationalise playing a text based game instead of using a microphone, but was somewhat of a pain having to type all the more precise gestures out.

Had a decent amount of fun, but would like to have a go at a similar character in an in person or webcam using game, mostly so i could just physically do the gestures.

Guardsman with vocal cords removed. Silly GM thought it's a convenient way to make my character retire without having to outright kill him. Little he knew that duty cannot be hindered by such petty inconvenience. Got surprising amount of NPC interaction with just grunts, scribbles and punching things.

Armless Lasombra girl. She was more of a social character and had servants and maidens take care of menial tasks, so it really wasn't that much of an issue. Would wear elaborate fancy dresses and summon Arms of Ahriman from the sleeves (and on particularly good roll from underneath the skirt) when brute force was necessary.

I would like to go full quad-amp once, but it needs rest of the team to be okay with it and somewhat supportive. Which has not been a case with my recent groups.

I once played a grumpy venerable psyichic warrior tied to a wheelchair that was carrying an anti-matter rifle hidden in his lap under blanket, acquired through the virtue of call weapon power. It wasn't quite serious campaign to say the least.

This whole thing sounds pretty magical to me
Good for you

Had a thief character lose his left leg and arm (And part of his face) when he tried to save a town from a planted explosive (Small explosive disguised as a bigger one that one of the BBEGs minions planted with the hopes that we'd all jump on it and die) while the rest of the party evacuated the town. The party still visits him, and he rolls around in a wheelchair. Is extremely salty about not getting to travel a whole lot, but the world isn't exactly handicap accessible. The party paladin has been searching for a way to either restore his limbs or a way to give him new ones so he can rejoin them, as he feels guilty for not being the one to run in to try and stop the bomb. The thief himself has been using his money to hire people to basically be scouts and find shit for him to point the party at, since they're to easily distracted from dealing with the big bad.

Had a duelist who had one arm and one leg, had them cut off after a cranial hemorrhage rendered them inoperable and got wooden prosthetics instead

Somehow he had more mobility than the rest of the party, could handle himself quite good in battle

Played an Ice and Fire RPG game as a lame young man. While learning to ride a horse as a kid, the horse fell over on him and more or less destroyed his leg. Thereafter and in-game, he could only really hobble around and needed a crutch to move.

The character himself was a ward of the group's noble house, and they all made fun of and taunted him relentlessly, and constantly exploited his phobia of horses. So it had social drawbacks as well as physical.

>entire party is cripples

In a Warhammer Fantasy campaign i played a elderly Witchhunter that had been seriously dismembered by a Chaos Lord once, resulting in him missing his left leg right above the knee, his left arm below the elbow and his left eye. He wouldnt do shit in combat situations except once in a while shooting one of his three pistols (which he couldnt reload by himself), but had huge background knowledge, and was extremely resilient to magic (playing savage worlds his only edge was arcane resistance lvl 2)

Played a nobleman who lost a fight and spent the rest of the campaign with a gimp leg. Similar to pic related but it happened to my guy in the middle of a war which wasn't going to stop just because he wasn't on the front lines anymore.

He wound up getting ransomed and then getting revenge by sacking the home city of the one who had beaten him, which the other party members weren't really supportive of but they didn't exactly stop him since they needed to win the war anyway.

I'd say it was worthwhile since it made me come at my character from an entirely new angle and lead to a really memorable character arc. I honestly can't see something like that being a problem unless your group is 100% PvE combat all day every day.

I played a Techpriest with a broken vocal synthesizer once. Similar to your guardsman he got by just fine by writing, beeping, and gesturing, but secretly the reason I made the character like that was to cover my own ass in case I said something intended as an OOC joke and it was mistaken for an in-character comment. The GM was exactly the kind of person to use that against us, and my character being mute saved him on at least one occasion.

>mostly play SR
>no such thing

I played as an old blind man and it was pretty fun. That was until the gm miraculously healed my eyes two sessions into the campaign to the dismay of several group members. I had hoped that I would get my eyes back after tracking down and fighting my evil ex-wife who took them in our divorce,

>entire party is emotional cripples

Blatant self-inserting is bad.
Even when everyone does it.
Especially when everyone does it.

>tfw you notice Lily isn't quite facing the right direction

I love Lilly so much. She's my favorite.

I am currently in a Mad Max game where I play as a half life leper with scoliosis and all kinds of crazy problems. He is very young and has accepted the fact that he will be dead soon. He is a historyman from a tribe that gives lepers scholarly and priestly positions and serves as the group's knowledge guy and medic, as well as the straight man since everyone else is a proper murder hobo.

I really like him, and so does everyone else. His handicaps don't hold the group back much when everyone is racing cars across the desert. And his skills more than make up for his uselessness in combat.

>Leper
>Medic

I don't think this is such a good idea...

It's Mad Max. The same movie where a man continues to be a badass after losing half his blood and the world has a shortage of gasoline but everyone drives huge fuck-off cars.

We ignore a lot of logic. It's fun.

Crippled necromancer who accidentally all the muscles in one of his legs while trying to rebuild himself from the elemental protoplasm of his soul after a ritual gone horribly right.

He hoists it around alongside him by swinging along on his walking staff and has recently taken dancing lessons from the fey (Which has improved his ability to put the momentum in his good leg and hips, swinging the other one into place)

A one-armed sort-of-ninja, sort-of-soldier, sort-of-advisor chick. An official in a sort of scavenger settlement with a limp from where his leg got mangled.

>I don't mean somebody with a perfect handsome scar across their eye,
One of my characters had a scar and a few missing teeth from a sword blow he took to the face when he was younger. It's not exactly debilitating, but it's not handsome either.

>Does this make roleplaying more interesting or more tedious when the rest of the party is way ahead of you while you're hobbling along behind?
None of them were too impairing. The biggest one was the chick with the arm that had been cut off, but she was pretty good at making do without it. I think it gave them all some personality.

I have a character who got a hand cut off by an overzealous new player and a shitty DM. At first, the DM said this would interfere with spells with somatic components. I just told him no.

its not contagious anymore once the symptoms show