What should one do if one comes to the realization that one is 'that guy'?

What should one do if one comes to the realization that one is 'that guy'?

In realising one is That Guy, one presumably realises what one has done to earn the moniker.

It is simply a matter of stopping doing whatever it is that made you realise you were That Guy. It might be changing the types of character you play, bathing more often, generally being more sensitive to how people around you feel..

The first step is admitting you have a problem. That Guys usually don't know they're That Guys.

Embrace it.

You're giving me conflicting advice here, guys (or girls?)

Not OP, but I have a bit of a temper problem which sometimes comes up in games. The big one I can think of is when the sorcerer PC betrayed the group 'for the lulz' in the middle of the final battle (which we were about to win). I lept out of my seat and started screaming at him for that and the DM for letting his actions ruin the game instead of intervening. Looking back, I'm really ashamed of how I acted, but in the moment I find it hard to restrain myself.
Online games I don't really have this issue as much, but I want to be able to play around a table without scaring everybody away. What should I do?

yeah you should consult a doctor.

Kill youself

Find some other, like-minded that guys and game with them. If everyone is that guy, no-one is.

The first two are on the same page, more or less. The third guy is a sopping cunt and should fuck himself to death with a baseball bat.

What did you do?

Despair, knowing that the sins which earned that title will forever lie upon thine soul. Even in death, there can be no absolution, no repentance in the eyes of the Group.

By never finding one at the table.

Look up the basic anger management shit, when you feel yourself getting angry at something just stop and count to 10 slowly before you actually do anything.
Address problems before they become a problem, such as actually talking to the sorc player and DM when it was clear it was going to be a problem.

Keep in mind that there are times when anger is justified, and even encourgaed by the group.
Like when you're chatting after a session and one of the members of the group says they liked BvS more than Civil War.
I may or may not be speaking from experience.

Ultimately, That Guy's defining feature is disruptiveness, which is contextual. A knight with a longsword can be at least as disruptive as a dual katana wielding ronin in the hands of a /pol/ack who wants to deus vult his way around a middle eastern setting. There's nothing wrong with wanting to use your sandbox to make giant cocks so you can knock them over and set them on fire- I've had campaigns like that that were a blast. OP just need to find people who want that as well.

The problem was how sudden it was. It was"
>DM: you have to weaken the deity but not kill her, then perform the rite. If you kill her, she will possess everyone in the kingdom. Then, the only way to stop her is if one of you and all the nuns you are trying to protect commit ritual suicide.
>DM: She's fallen to the ground and is dying. Now is your chance.
>Sorcerer: Twin spell. Double fireballs.
>Me: YOU FUCKING BASTARD!

I didn't really have a moment.

Smoke a fucking blunt and relax. It's just a game.

DUDE WEED LMAO

However, there are some features of the that guy which are universally disruptive. Inability to let anyone else speak, cheating, etc. These are the sort of personal failings which must be addressed no matter the context.

what a fucking cockgobbler
who the fuck does that

People hold grudges and don't forgive. You will never be able to escape the stigma of being "That Guy" to your group. So I suggest you leave as soon as possible and hook up with a new group.

Take some anti testosterone pills Jesus Christ man

kill "one's self"

Proceed to killing other that guys until only one left.

Because Veeky Forums is'nt one being.

I'd react the same

I realized I was That Guy after playing consecutive 3.5 games as a Wizard, DMM:Persist Cloistered Cleric, Druid, Archivist and most other people seemed to be playing more natural "I thought it would be cool" characters the whole time.

The solution was banning myself from Tier 1/2 and also avoiding overly cheesy optimization in lower tiers (uberchargers), and actually playing a weak character with flaws. Our party actually died less since the DM no longer had to play rocket tag with me.