Why is it that our board seems to mostly compose of people completely out of touch with the different Role-Playing...

Why is it that our board seems to mostly compose of people completely out of touch with the different Role-Playing Games, Board Games & Card Games? This doesn't seem to be the case with other boards like say /mu/, /tv/, /a/, /v/ or whatever. Other boards seem like the majority of it's member posses decent knowledge of their respective interest and are up to date with it and also know about obscure or classics. But that's somehow not the case with Veeky Forums. The Board Games Generals are just sad, the amount of people that post about Magic, YuGiOh and such are further proof of the lack of knowledge of modern cardgames. Only Netrunner has it's own general and even those are from a few posters. I'd say the only Veeky Forums related stuff that get's decent discussion is miniature's wargames. I don't care for those games, but even games like Malifaux get a thread every now and then. We could have a sticky post educating new and current posters about modern boardgaming, cardgames, rpgs, etc, everything Veeky Forums related. What say you?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/25/board-games-internet-playstation-xbox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It sounds like you're an idiot.

Veeky Forums is called the anything board because everyone from everywhere else comes her to make fun of "nerds" and they stay and shit the place up with their brand of board posts.

Hence why you see so many cross-genre questions and general stupid shit.

1/10.

people don't need to stay updated on modern games, people can talk and play whatever games in whatever way they like

>nerds
man i wish that word would go away, it enforces stereotypes and people that identify by their hobbies are usually assholes

>browsing /mu/

You're assuming that all Veeky Forums related games are the same interest. Someone who only plays MtG isn't going to know jack shit about RPGs, wargames, or boardgames, because they're literally not related to what he actually plays. Veeky Forums hobbies aren't cheap, and many of them aren't quick either. Expecting everyone on the board to invest time and money into literally every game represented here despite those games being in wildly different genres, having wildly different themes, and wildly different methods of play is naive and stupid.

I get it that we get a lot of clueless posters from other boards that play Monopoly, Chess, Magic The Gathering... I COULD GO ON...

That's why we need a sticky directing them to information.

Sure, but having some knowledge would save him ridiculous amount of money and he would be playing better games. But because of ignorance and/or buyer's denial he keeps playing magic.

Oh, so this is just a thinly disguised "bash something I don't like thread".
Carry on, then.

>thinly
It's not even disguised at all.

No we don't.

Back to your safe space

/co/ has a decent split with the comics & cartoon crowd.

Veeky Forums covers a lot more subject matter than most boards

it seems more like he wants people to research things according to his arbitrary standard, there literally is no reason for this, if people want to throw money at something without looking it up or asking for help, that's their choice.

fight me nerd

Veeky Forums hobbies cost way more than others, so players will dedicate themselves to a few games.

For example I play Infinity, and as thats taking up my money I discuss that instead of stuff like AoS or Historical Games.

And tabletop games are so vast and diverse now it would be insanely difficult to put together a sticky, plus I imagine the vast majority of people who come here are already entrenched in the hobby.

How am I bashing anything? I like magic, I still own some cards. But, it's really an outdated game. It's cute to play it every now and then, like I would still play chess if someone wanted too, but that's it.

Anyway, please don't derail the thread.

You can listen to an album in about an hour.

You can watch a movie in a couple.

Marathoning anime / manga or playing through vidya takes a day or two. Maybe up to a week if you stretch it out.

Meanwhile, an RPG can run for months if not years. And at the end, you've only learned one system.

tl;dr going through just the high profile, currently popular, entry level stuff takes a long ass time.

>takes a long ass time.
and it's completely needless and irrelevant

Just what "modern" games are you talking about. As someone who frequents game stores, MtG OWNS all the card game space, and anything else is lucky to get a shelf. For RPGs there's tons of variety, but no "new" stuff short of D&D 5e is popular at all. I don't know much about wargames, so I'll trust someone who actually plays them.

But please, tell us old folks about these hip, ground breaking, "modern" games we're so ignorant about.

>Veeky Forums hobbies cost way more than others

I haven't spent money on RPGs since... somewhere around 2005.

Not entirely true I guess, I had to buy a few dice when my dicebag got stolen.

What I'm saying is, piracy isn't only for /v/, and if you don't want to do that, RP groups still only need a single book, or one person knowing the rules to play.

Boardgames, MtG, and wargames are crack cocaine, however.

Local card games stores don't support anything beyond that. But got to BoardGameGeek, check out places like Snake and Lattes, etc. Tabletop gaming has been gaining such momentum right now that there have been several articles about it from respectable sites. It's happening, but you wouldn't know it by going to FNM to play with your standard deck.
What you are asking of me is ridiculous. What modern boardgames? Are you serious? Do I have to name the ridiculously amount of games made in the last decade alone? For one, I named Netrunner, by the same designer of magic, but way superior.

well Veeky Forums is fundamentally diferent from other boards (other than /jp/ I guess) in that its a mishmash of different hobbies and interests in the same board each with its own culture and ettiquete. And sincerely I don't think its a bad thing, people frequently gravitate between hobbies, the board is diverse, produces a lot of OC and is generally one of the most amiable board on Veeky Forums.

You didn't answer my questions, just gave me the name of a hipster site and stated the one game you'd mentioned in an earlier post. Then you went into:
> Are you serious? Do you not know? Do you not know about the thing? The super modern thing all three of my friends in Portland are playing?

Ok, but honestly, what do you want me to do? Name every game made in the past 10 years? What? It's not one game, it's not 10 games. This was a thread for people that know what I'm talking about, for exactly the purpose of educating clueless people like you. That's exactly what I want.

I could at least list some modern cardgames that are better than Magic: The Gathering, is that what you want? Would that be enough?
Android Netrunner or any other LCG
Dice Masters
Doomtown: Reloaded
Summoner Wars
Mage Wars Academy or/and Arena
Ashes: Rise of the Pheonixborn
VS System 2PCG
And more, but that's just card games and this is a more general thread.
Please stay out of this if you are not even from Veeky Forums. Stop trolling.

>games nobody ever plays
>modern

>produces a lot of OC
yeah right

> Other boards seem like the majority of it's member posses decent knowledge of their respective interest and are up to date with it and also know about obscure or classics.

Playing a particular game system tends to require a hell of a time investment. Most people don't have the free time to play in four different multiple-year-long weekly games in four different systems.

Name one board that don't.

strings -> wool
wool -> strings X

You just don't know enough to recognize the myopia of /tv/ or /mu/ or /a/. I guarantee you there's somebody thinking the same shit about all those boards you named as you think about Veeky Forums, and they're just as right as you are.

Anyways, I don't need for there to be a newsflash on Veeky Forums consisting of whatever you autists think is important. There are websites populated with actual writers for that, thanks.

Tabletop games require socializing.

Veeky Forums is not good at socializing.

Thus people only play a few games they're comfortable with, their friends play, or don't play at all, but would like to. Like me ;_;

/co/, /v/, /pol/

>shitting on MtG in every post
The shilling is real

First post, best post.

>Veeky Forums is not good at socializing.
talk for yourself

>/mu/ knows its shit

no

>/a/ knows its shit

no

>/tv/ knows its shit

no

>dumb horseface poster

Fuck right off now. Bye.

Normie go home.

No one plays these. Well, someone does, but I can go into any store and find a dozen people playing MtG. It's not a matter of better games when you can't even find other players to play with you.

I'm sure I could go to /co/ or /v/ right now and would find people discussing some good content. /pol/ politics, even if a little extreme for my taste sometimes, are preferable and based on facts, unlike sjw shit based on emotions and ideals.

>This doesn't seem to be the case with other boards like say /mu/, /tv/, /a/, /v/
>/v/
>/a/
>>decent knowledge of their respective interest and are up to date with it and also know about obscure or classics
Just fuck right off

Not the nigga you was talking to but

>been playing 40k for 22 years
>been playing fantasy for about 25
>played the pokemon tcg since it began
>have so many dnd boxes, books and minis my wife has tried to find AA-like groups for me
>frequent local game shops and every now and then make the trip to Boise to browse new shit at the big ones
>still never heard of those games, like ever

And by your definition I'm trolling and not even from Veeky Forums for not knowing about some hipster-ass games from some backalley shop in Seattle or some other cracker ass town.

Go sit on a spike, nigger.

I frequent Veeky Forums and have played RPGs and Tabletops since I was a boy.

Also, nobody plays those games.

If you can manage to go to those boards and find more than 20% of the content that isn't shitposting or memes or hating on whatever is flavor of the month it would be a good day for those cesspools.

The problem is that majority of new stuff is hipster shit. Therefore just shit.There's no reason in caring about it.

>I've been playing all my life!!
What that's got to do with you being ignorant?

Visit us at /bgg/, check out BoardGameGeek, check out youtubers like The Dice Tower, Rahdo, Drive Thru Reviews, Watch It Played... hell, even the terrible, but casual Tabletop by Geek and Sundry. All of you are out of touch my friends.

So you're a shill. I've checked out a few of your suggestions and they were all shit. This isn't "modern", this isn't the future of the hobby. This is your hipster ass trying to get paid.

Let's begin with the fact that traditional games doesn't imply only board games. At this rate you will expect /v/ do discuss mobile games.

I live in a rural area. If you asked someone to play a boardgame, theyed laugh or think you're talking about scrabble.

But there is still a decent Magic and Warhammer community around here. So I think you're out of touch.

To quote an user from yesterday:

Every board is regurgitated ideas written condescendingly and shit memes and assholery being repeated ad infinitum with small intermissions of insightful posts which is the second reason most people are here second to shitposting.

>since you people are mostly familiar with/aware of things that are popular and alive in your community, you're out of touch
Yes, that's what that means

lol, how am I getting paid? From who? I just want Veeky Forums or at least /bgg/ to get more decent discussion.

theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/25/board-games-internet-playstation-xbox

Oh Its a hipster shilling thread. You should have just started with that.

Please just kill yourself.

Why bother making threads about games nobody plays?

can you stop being a pussy and just say X Y Z GAMES GOOD A B C GAMES BAD, HERES WHY.

>I'd say the only Veeky Forums related stuff that get's decent discussion is miniature's wargames.

This is only mostly true.

40k the wargame gets continuous threads due to being the most popular and having decades of material and players to choose from. Other wargame generals ebb and flow based on the amount of new content being released for them. For instance the Warmahordes threads were starting to wane until recently when the new edition was announced.

Malifaux is actually even more screwed on this front, since it's fairly well balanced and list building is done once schemes and strategies are chosen which limits list theory crafting. I love the game but Veeky Forums isn't a particularly good place to talk about it.

You recommend unsuccessful games under the pretense of them being "modern" and "the new big thing". You shitpost and cite YouTube and media, neither of whom actually is on the ground, playing the games.

You know who is on the ground playing these games? The people you claim are out of touch.

could have been /threaded here with nothing lost.

OP needs to stop making this thread every day.