DM Chicken

When do you hesitate, and when do you flat out tell your player "no"?

>Player wants to start out with a magical item
>Player wants to start out with a magical item of their own design
>Player wants to start out with a special magical warhammer
>A magical hammer that is twice the size of an ordinary warhammer
>A giant hammer that can disappear and reappear at will
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays music during battles
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and anachronistically plays Electronic Dance Music
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays EDM that the player insists on playing during battles
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays EDM that the player insists on playing during battles, and it's sort of okay music but it's still hard to listen to because the player just uses their phone's speakers and it really mangles the bass
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM and is intelligent
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM and is CE
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM, is CE and tries to convince all the other party members to worship Graz'zt
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM, is CE and tries to convince all the other party members to worship Graz'zt by threatening to pop out of nowhere and blast music whenever they're trying to be stealthy.
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM, is CE and tries to convince all the other party members to worship Graz'zt by threatening them, and sounds like Mickey Mouse when it talks
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM, is CE and tries to convince all the other party members to worship Graz'zt by threatening them, sounds like Mickey Mouse and makes anyone hit by it also sound like Mickey Mouse

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KpuvajowCdg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Go on.

>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays EDM that the player insists on playing during battles

anyone who tries to play music specifically for battles can fuck off, it never works.

just some background ambience if we really need anything.

>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM, is CE and tries to convince all the other party members to worship Graz'zt by threatening them, sounds like and makes anyone hit by it sound like Mickey Mouse, and is the Sultan of Hammerspace
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM, is CE and tries to convince all the other party members to worship Graz'zt by threatening them, sounds like and makes anyone hit by it sound like Mickey Mouse, is the Sultan of Hammerspace and has a harem of other intelligent hammers
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM, is CE and tries to convince all the other party members to worship Graz'zt by threatening them, sounds like and makes anyone hit by it sound like Mickey Mouse, is the Sultan of Hammerspace and has a harem of other intelligent hammers that it wants to increase by capturing other intelligent hammers
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM, is CE and tries to convince all the other party members to worship Graz'zt by threatening them, sounds like and makes anyone hit by it sound like Mickey Mouse, is the Sultan of Hammerspace with an expanding harem and doesn't exactly understand what a harem is and really doesn't have much use for it
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM, is CE and tries to convince all the other party members to worship Graz'zt by threatening them, sounds like and makes anyone hit by it sound like Mickey Mouse, is the Sultan of Hammerspace with an expanding useless harem, and always chimes in with its opinions on what the party should do

I'd stop at the giant hammer. It just doesn't fit the tone of the game I want to run.

This is where I hesitate.
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and anachronistically plays Electronic Dance Music
No.

You're clearly just playing the wrong music.

youtu.be/KpuvajowCdg

Red flag, but not a deal breaker.

Increasing worry.

>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays music during battles
This is the hard "no" point for me, but I ask him to continue just because i'm curious.

Ha ha ha fuck you.

Hesitate
>>Player wants to start out with a magical item of their own design

No
>>A giant hammer that can disappear and reappear at will

If the setting is high fantasy and other players started with one too, or the guys character is just that shit that he needs a bone, or if its a high level start.
I'll at least hear it out, and if the concept isn't shit it might be let in, even if with slight modifications
See above.

That's a fucking maul or a great hammer. You wont be using a shield, at least.

No.
Blow it out your troglodyte ass.

A hammer that can be summoned and vanished at will I'd allow if the guy was playing someone that was like a kensai and used only that weapon and rejected all others. could lead to some interesting moments. I draw the line at music, though.

Maybe, depends on what it is and what level we're starting at.

Red flag, but I WILL at least listen to see what it is.

why

Hard no, here.

Why the fuck are you still here? GTFO.

Red flag, may be refused depending on the setting, party level and the person's character.

I'll only allow it if you take associated penalties for a weapon of that size.

No.

Okay, *maybe* if it's an all-bard party or a light-hearted tone but the disappear/re-appear at will has to go.

Everything after that will be refused regardless.

>Magical item
>Of their own design

Yeah hell no. d&d, as much as i love it, can easily be broken just using the normal rules of the game to produce some incredibly bullshit situations.

> Special magical warhammer
Did you put the points into it? I assume this is D&D, did you design it using the Creating Magical Items bit in the DMG and pay for all the shit you wanted?

> Twice the size of an ordinary warhammer.
Are you specced for it? Cause otherwise you ain't doing shit.

> Anachronistically plays EDM
Go fuck yourself. That's where the line is, where it goes from "are you specced?" to "no."

My no is when the rules/build points stop supporting it.

Assuming the rules somehow support the whole thing, I'm nopeing playing music IRL

Once we get to the hammer being CE it depends on the tone of the game and how cool the other players are with it.

A lot of music hate here.

Everything is worrying up to:
>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays mangled-bass EDM and is intelligent
Either the player agrees to let me, the GM, play the personality of the weapon or I reject it.

Since I'm the one in control of the weapons character, the other problems are also manageable.

Fuck the mickey mouse voice.

>plays EDM that the player insists on playing during battles
Music will be played by the GM or not at all. Though I might agree to play it.

> just uses their phone's speakers
Decent speakers or not music. I might provide decent speakers if the agreed upon music fits.

>wont let people start out with a magical item of their own design
How else am I supposed to have a bitchin signature item with my family crest on it? Unless you let me upgrade the shit out of it over time.

Have you tried not playing D&D ?

I like GMing Ironclaw. Starting with weapons that you will keep for the full campaign is easy. If you want a signature item, have a look at pic related.

I assume that other games have similar options. Though maybe without the bit that forces the GM to give it back if you lose it.

Is the player running a magical girl?

>>A giant hammer that can disappear/reappear at will and plays music during battles
>Hard no, here.

That got a hard no from me, right up until the point where the player wanted an intelligent weapon. Then I'd allow the disappearing and reappearing under two conditions:
- The intelligence of the weapon decides when to appear and disappear. The PC can ask or, if I'm feeling generous, do a contested roll to force it when the weapon disagrees.
- The intelligence of the weapon is an NPC under the GMs control.

A hate of bad music, sure.

>I assume that other games have similar options
Other games, like D&D?

I understand you like your furry system, but that's hardly a reason to pretend D&D doesn't have custom item guidelines, weapon upgrade rules, and the option to start off with a "signature" item.

There are even 2e and 3e classes dedicated to the idea, such as the Oriental Adventures Samurai that has an ancestral sword set that levels as they do.

#1 and #2 I would allow.
#3 I would probably allow.
#4 I would probably allow, but I would rule that it's as heavy as one would expect a normal massive metal warhammer to be.
#5 and after I would not allow.

Starts at yes, quickly go to
>No
>Hell no
>Fuck No
>I hope you die
Then at the end he gets it because that is too fucking good to pass up

I stop at 2. They can describe to me a magical item and I will design it as close to what they'd like while still being balanced for a starting group in a game. If it's something completely overpowered I'll politely tell them that I might make it a reward later on down the line depending on how the story goes.

Pretty much everything past 3 are things I would tell them don't fit the campaign setting (assuming it's my homebrew setting) and try and help them understand the aesthetic that I'm aiming for

That's when I know they're just fucking with me.

Or the Weapons of Legacy

I stop at magical item. I'll give them a few character appropriate ones to pick from.

>Wants magical item right at start.
I'll only do this if I trust the player and they have a compelling reason for it. Everything else, no. I'll grab some portable speakers for the EDM music at least.

Depends on the setting and level. Brand new characters? At "Player wants to start with a magi item."

My initial response was an immediate no, but as I read the options stop it at the part where the player insists on playing the music irl.

It's kind of a cool idea.

I am ok with this if:
>he has enough character points for all these features
>has enough character points for the Unusual Background Advantage
>he has enough strength points to lift and use this abomination
>he is aware that the other party members will hate it and will try to get rid of it at the first opportunity and I won't intervene on his favour