What system would work best to simulate elemental "bending"?

What system would work best to simulate elemental "bending"?

Other urls found in this thread:

docdroid.net/9eJkDh1/wulin-cheatsheet.pdf.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't know, but I do know there was a guro story written about Katara losing to Pakku and being raped and frozen as a warning to other women not to defy him.

D&D 5e

Hero System, GURPS, Savage Worlds, Cortex Plus, and Fate could all support bending very well--the *best* best would be whichever of these appeals to more of the group.

Damn.

That would make Pakku an ice cold killer

Why were you reading that, user?

Gurochan.

Guess.

sounds hot_

Anima
The answer is always Anima

Legends of the Wulin, Tenra Bansho Zero, maybe Legend of the Five Rings for a less capable bending system.

Wild Talents + REIGN
aka ORE

Legends of the Wulin if you want more mechanical weight behind it.

I suppose Godbound could also do it - there are rules for replicating the main types of Exalted, including the Dragonborn, who are kind of like elemental benders.

Running a game set in the avatar world atm, all ive done is if you wanna be a magic user, thats basically bending, all the spells you choose manifest in your chosen element, healers have to be waterbenders etc.

If they can come up with a feasible way for one of their spells to manifest as their element, they can use the spell.

For some enemies with ranged attacks if I want them to be benders i just say he gathers fire in his palm and shoots it at you instead of he shoots a crossbow bolt at you.

It ain't perfect but we're having fun with it and its just less work than using a whole different system to implement it.

My group is interested in an avatar themed game too, and Wulin seems like a good system for it. Do anyone have some rules for the specific elements, or any pointers on how to run it?

>not "sounds cool"

GURPS

I've been thinking about it. What is the power level of a Fully Realized avatar?

No.

Not necessarily in a "hurr durr have you tried not!D&D" kneejerk response but from the standpoint of the elemental monk being dogshit in comparison to the other archtypes.

I recommend GURPS for a lot of stuff, but for this I would use Fate.

Not because GURPS can't handle it, but because it can't handle it as elegantly and thematically as I would prefer in this specific instance.

It'd basically be the total sum of every single previous avatar's abilities.

So if there were like 200 avatars and they were all level 20 characters, the total sum of the avatar state's power would be 4000 levels plus the current level of the avatar.

Unless you're Korra, where the power level would merely be doubling your power since she broke the cycle and got herself cut off from her past lives.

Ars Magica, although you would have to throw out the best parts of the system.

Newer versions.

>So if there were like 200 avatars and they were all level 20 characters, the total sum of the avatar state's power would be 4000 levels plus the current level of the avatar.

That is really not the right way to scale it.

The whole point of the avatar cycle is to impart knowledge onto someone using one's own past lives.

If we're talking about a cycle that's 200 benders strong, it'd of course be damn near unfathomably powerful since it's the natural skill of the current avatar plus the skill of every avatar that came before them.

I mean, how would you scale it?

And sub-playbooks.

It wouldn't be direct addition. Most of those avatars have seriously overlapping knowledge that wouldn't benefit from learning twice over.

You're assuming that all the avatars learn is just how to bend an element as well as their past lives though.

The way I see it, as an avatar, you learn literally everything that the previous avatar knew before they eventually died. This also includes any special abilities (like Aang's air scooter), any nuances that made their bending style unique (like Toph's earthbending style being based off of Mantis Style instead of Bua Gua, assuming I spelled it right).

Except of course that not only do you learn all this stuff by default of being an avatar but when you activate avatar state, you're accessing 100% of your past live's total ability at once, which is why when Aang performed it in the final battle, he was able to do god-mode shit like compacting boulders, surrounding himself in an air scooter for indefinite flight or even raise the water levels of the entire area to put out the fire that the fire lord and his crew produced earlier.

It's pretty fucking insane once you've taken a moment to think about.

is this everything of the rp ?
when i download stuff like this i usually dont stop until i find all snipets that fit in the map.

There's a few more parts if you want them.

GM stuff.

Two adventures and the book in a singles layout.

I've been looking for this, thanks user.

Hero System. Here's how you literally stat the basics.
Telekinesis (chosen element): (-1/2) limited affected materials, (-1/2) gestures, (+1/4(or +1/2)) 1/2 (or 0) endurance cost
Every little nuance you have with that power like using water to heal, flying on air spheres, channeling lightning, or refining metal from ore can all be tacked onto a elemental telekinesis power pool with the disadvantage (-1/2) linked to telekinesis. After spending half an hour on the character sheet you literally just need to glance at the character sheet and roll the amount of d6's needed for the rest of the game.

Agreed. Despite the scary big rule book, champions is a great game for superheroes and encourages creativity.

Maybe not, but a full-power Avatar in the Avatar state is pretty fucking high-tier.

Kyoshi carved an island off the coast and propelled it halfway across the ocean.

Always a pleasure to deliver.

Never*

docdroid.net/9eJkDh1/wulin-cheatsheet.pdf.html

Wulin is a very simple and elegant game explained exceedingly terribly, which makes it far more difficult to understand than it should be.

If you mean with never, always than you are right.

Anima sucks and needs to be thrown out a window.

Try Mutants and Masterminds 3e or GURPS

GURPS Powers

This, this so hard. Tried to DM Anima, and had to go back to Pathfinder. To fucking Pathfinder!

Worst thing is, it's a game genuinely filled with great ideas, but it's so blatant that they did not even bother playtesting it's ridiculous. It doesn't work at the table, and it's a whole lot of number crunching. Not to mention it's just d20 but everything is multiplied by 5 so we have big numbers, like in videogames.

It has the potential, but it crumbles rather fast.