"Dubious" PCs

What characters do you want to play but don't because you're afraid people will call you a furry?

your mom

None. Since I'm not a furfag. I actually have some form of taste and decency. Not much. But some.

Somewhat copied from a story I've read on here a few times and wanted to try for myself.

I've always wanted to play a "witch" in Pathfinder who's familiar is "grooming" her as a "vessel" for it's eldritch demon mistress. As such, it teachers her magic and lets her go on adventures because a weak vessel would be no good for the revival.

Won't ever actually do it though, because I can't imagine doing it with an adult character (the familiar would specifically seek out someone young and naive enough to believe it's there to "help" her), and any younger than 15 and my group starts calling loli magical realm on characters. I can't really blame them, admittedly I tend to be wary of child characters for the same reason.

A neutral /evil thief way past its prime, he would be missing an arm and a leg under the knee, missing an eye. in his late 60 and life has not been kind on him. He is curmudgeon and literally hates just about everything. He long has stoped doing evil things mainly for a sense of self preservation rather than regret or anything like that.
He is crude and a shitty person all around.
He would be a good thief and expert in dungenering. Mostly used to do things on his own. Overly cautious and suspicious of everything.
He would have quite a few people looking to kill him for his past sins but probably living life disguised as a beggar for the past 2 years has got him craving some excitement.

It's time for him to make one last mark on the world and go for a last big score once and maybe for the last time.

Don't do it because.
Paladins. Every fucking time.

I don't get this. In 5 years of tabletop gaming I've only played a Paladin once, and nobody in my groups ever does. Why would someone willingly want to play a character who's entire personality is "I do whatever my god tells me to do and lose all my powers if I don't.
Not even a jab towards religious people, I just don't get the appeal of doing it in a ROLE PLAY. Even the one time I did it, I only did it because I knew the campaign was basically a Castlevania-style dungeon crawl with very little roleplaying anyway.

>in a ROLE PLAY
the religious zealot is a role to play like any other user

>Paladins have no personality outside of doing what their god tells them to, because if they don't they lose their powers
Ignoring the typical responses for why this is a bad way to play and DM for paladins, I will instead point out the obvious flaw in this reasoning: RELIGIOUS TEACHING ARE, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, VERY SUBJECTIVE AND OPEN TO INTERPRETATION.
Seriously, try reading through a page of any religous book without finding at least five instances of hyperbole, metaphor, simile or abstraction. It's not a book of Law (not all of them at least), it's a collection of parables about how to live your life as a good person.
And that's the main point of the Paladin as an archetype: a person who is such a "good" person that the gods decide they're worthy of wielding their holy power.
Take, for example, a fellow I played with who played as a kobold paladin. The story behind it was that he'd served a Silver with an extensive library, found some children's books about chivalry and such, and been so enthralled by them that he'd set out to be a noble knight and save the day. He even carried a stack of those children's books around, as his "holy books."
You'd be surprised how often the lessons in those children's books were relevant to the problems we faced. He may have been somewhat childlike when dealing with stuff, but he roleplayed the fuck out of that WIS score.
...I miss playing with him. Scheduling conflicts are the bane of all tabletop games.

A savage bipedal wolf man mercenary with tribalistic tendencies and an eye patch from when he lost a fight with a tigerfolk

I know already that this character will never see the light of day.

>"I do whatever my god tells me to do and lose all my powers if I don't.

That's cleric.

For the 500th time, Paladins get their power from their alignment, not a deity. Their powers come from Good, not God. Except in 4th edition, where their powers tap a god, but the god can't cut them off; the paladin's behavior is entirely up to the paladin.

In every case I've talked to, people who "don't like" paladins really have no fucking idea what a paladin is or how to play one.

A cheerful, innocent young man who happens to be the son of his hometown's executioner. He's extremely excited to take over the family trade, and doesn't see anything morally wrong with straight-up murdering anyone a person in authority tells him to.

I've been kinda wanting to play a female drow exile for awhile now, having to deal with the realities of NOT being treated like a princess on the surface in the societies of other races and having to learn some independence and acclimation.

Won't do it though because everyone instantly thinks anyone playing a drow has some kind of BDSM fantasy.
Plus I feel like the character would be instant rape-bait until she stopped being so niave about the surface and I don't really go there even if the GM might.

Paladins literally exist for people who just wana play "good guys" without any thinking or difficult moral choices involved (unless the GM is deliberately trying to make them fall, in which case Fuck You GM, you're shit and should feel like shit). It's like playing a pre-made character in a videogame, or "narrative mode" in an RPG.

Nice spin on things, but most organized religions actually HATE people coming up with their own "interpretations".

Echoing the last part. I feel like child characters CAN be played well, but I've NEVER seen anyone do it for any reason other than "MUH CUTE LOLI XD". Probably doesn't help that almost all my RPing is online though, where 98% of the people lose their shame-filter once they're not staring real life friends in the face during their shameless Magical Realm fantasies.

I will never get to play a tough noble savage Lizardfolk warrior because they're, well, giant lizards with tough aggressive exteriors.

I also want to play a lion-inspired Catfolk in much the same vein, albeit being shamelessly English as opposed to the Lizardfolk's German.

Well, that's because when somebody outside the church is doing better at carrying out a god's will than the church itself, it makes people question if the church is growing distant from what their god is teaching. The most obvious example is Jesus and how he pissed off the entire jewish church despite being the literal son of God, but there are other examples throughout mythology of similar scenarios.
Organized Religion eventually tends to become more of a business or a political force. Having someone come along who embodies the ideals they say they teach tends to cast the church in a bad light.

>Paladins literally exist for people who just wana play "good guys" without any thinking or difficult moral choices involved

Oh, damn, I almost took this seriously. I've been coming to Veeky Forums less often, my reflexes are rusty.

Just gotta remember: if the post is unbelievably stupid, either:

1: It's genuine, the person really is that stupid, and trying to communicate with them is pointless

or

2: They're a troll, and even more of a shit-for-brains than 1.

Here is your reply.

Not that guy, but any class with alignment restrictions is pure garbage for several reasons. But then again 3.PF fans are more stubborn than flat-earthers.

You can be naive without being a child, eg. a sheltered noble/farmboy/acolyte who left/lost their home for whatever reason. They don't have to be stupid, just trusting.

>Seriously, try reading through a page of any religous book without finding at least five instances of hyperbole, metaphor, simile or abstraction. It's not a book of Law (not all of them at least), it's a collection of parables about how to live your life as a good person.
Nigga, when you were told to read a book, what people actually mean was The book. You need to sit your ass down and read some Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

>any class with alignment restrictions is pure garbage for several reasons.
Paladins still exist in 5e.

>that image
Is it hard being that wrong? Do you work at it daily?

>>see 47422086

Poor OP. Their thread seems to have devolved into an alignment argument.

In other news, I always wanted to play a shape-shifting spy with multiple back-up identities in case one was ever ousted for whatever intrigue they were currently into...but I so far haven'the found the right game to use them in. And I probably never will...

>author of this image just can't stop sucking cocks

Shapeshifting almost crosses into "completely overpowered" territory unless it's a super-hero game or something. Or DnD, but then again in DnD detecting magic like shapeshifting is as easy as a level 0 cantrip.

>he doesn't know that paladins are meant to be played as Arthurian knights

>And that's the main point of the Paladin as an archetype: a person who is such a "good" person that the gods decide they're worthy of wielding their holy power.

Not the gods. Just the raw unfiltered goodness of the universe. By acting so purely and with dedication, you actually become pure.

You just happen to be helping gods because aside from you, good aligned gods tend to be the only other things running around trying to purify the world.

Just like a Monk, by punching a bunch of shit and meditating all day, becomes able to kill with a punch, float like a feather, and speak any language.

I'm not sure how the "speak any language" thing fits in with the rest of that...

Something something something animu bullshit about speaking with you fists I guess.

This guy has the right of it

The original Paladin class was created by Gygax to be analogous to Arthurian Knights and Carolingian Paladins. The LG alignment represents codes of Chivalry.
The Knights of the round table are capably of amazing feats because of their dedication to chivalry, not necessarily God (although piety plays big role in chivalry). Sir Palamedes, for example, is a Saracen who only converts to Christianity later on.
That being said, the Grail Cycle puts a lot of emphasis on piety as a part of Chivalry, and many knights fail their quest simply because they are too worldly. IIRC only Galahad and Percival find the grail because they are the only two 'pure' knights. Still, the other knights are still knights despite failing at piety.
So in short, if you play a paladin, keep to the code of chivalry. Piety is a huge part of it, but not the end-all-be-all. Furthermore, Chivalry does have wiggle room and an emphasis on keeping the spirit of the code over the mere words, so Paladins shouldn't have to be Fun Police all the time for fear of falling.

I had a half-dragon catgirl pirate in one of the few settings where that sort of thing made sense. Game didn't last long, though. I'll probably never be able to use her again.

And that pretty much sums up why I won'the be playing him.

That and the fact that I'd have to make identities for him spanning all ages and genders, and would probably get a weird look doing any female identities.

Play Ironclaw, hur hur
Good system, but good luck finding not-magical realmers to play with

I always wanted to play a kitsune sorcerer in PF but I have no idea how to pull that off without looking like I want to make the game into my magical realm.

As a paladin, these should be your role playing cues:
>Believe the Church's teachings and observe all the Church's directions

>Defend the Church.

>Respect the weakness of others and defend them.

>Love your Nation

>Show no fear in the face of the enemy

>'Thou shalt make war against the infidel without cessation and without mercy,' aka DEUS VULT

>Never falter in your duty to your liege and his orders, so long as doing so doesn't conflict with the laws of God.

>Never lie, and remain faithful to your pledged word.

>Be generous, and give largesse to everyone.

>Be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.

Obviously I pulled these from the original 10 laws of chivalry, to feel free to change the articles of piety to fit your specific campaign setting. Regardless, it's important to point out that Knights (expect for Crusader Orders) aren't religious warriors in the sense that they belong to the church as monks/priests. They're just lay people.

Anyone who isn't GM

>the church
REMINDER THAT PALADINS ARE NO OBLIGATED TO SWEAR THEMSELVES TO ANY RELIGION, ORGANIZED OR OTHERWISE

None on the furry part, But I do want to play a paladin. I won't with my current group though, because they would just hate that character.

Why wouldn't a paladin swear themselves to a good church?

I played a lawful neutral lizardfolk fighter that got framed and exiled from his clan, joined up with a mercenary band which was dismantled by evilâ„¢ with him being one of the few survivors. Literally stacked the shit out of natural armor and ran around with a glaive. He ended up being the leader of the party since he was strong, honorable and trustworthy so the rest of the party just kinda flocked around him.

So I guess I played that. Didn't even meet much resistance when I said what I wanted to play. Aside "holy fuck lizardfolk stats are overpowered".

neutral good lizardfolk who is fat and out of shape. he is a fisherman and always wanted to be a hero ever since he was visited by a travelling paladin who sought lodging for the night during a storm. the two talked a lot and the Paladin shared tales of heroism and whatnot. eventually wandering adventurers pass by on quest to save world so he opts to join them. hes not super great at being a hero and he isnt much help in a fight. he gets left behind because the party doesnt want him to get hurt and hes slowing them down too much. decides to not give up and continues on the journey, following heroes. eventually turns the tide of bbeg showdown by arriving and fighting big bad, giving party time to recover gets mortally wounded, bleeds out, but bought team enough time to recover and kill bbeg. died a hero. was a paladin.