Some game stores are owned not just by legal contrivance...

>Some game stores are owned not just by legal contrivance, but because the owner has detailed knowledge of the domain and the personal loyalty of his coworkers such that it would be difficult or impossible to replace him without his cooperation.

How do we fix this?

>trying to fix a good thing

Why would you want to "fix" this?

ITT: We tell OP that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wait, are you literally arguing against competent people remaining in charge?

Fix? That's how niche businesses are supposed to operate, asshat.

Fix what? What you seem to be suggesting is communalisation, basically Communism. How else do you take something legally owned and created by another who has broken no laws. Reword your question.

What if gamers could somehow seize control of game stores. Wouldn't that be a good thing? These are our friends. They know what we want. They know what we need.

The more avid "gamer" someone is, the less likely that person is to have my patronage. Gamers smell terrible, look ugly, are rude and chauvinistic with backwards world views. I know not 'all' of the gamers are like that, but go to /v/ and see what the majority sample is, or go to Veeky Forums and see what the grognards here are most loud about. The 'typical' gamer is a nightmare of incompetence and cringe.

It's the exception that somehow manages to, barely, redeem our kind. And the exception is each time more rare while the rule spreads like the plague.

>/v/
Get out, we're not talking about vidya here.

Not sure what you are going for here, care to elaborate?

I dont think so, if he was actually talking about communism or workers co-op the quote doesn´t make sense, if a FLGS owner has staff, they are probably just as knowledgeable about the stuff as the owner is.

Sounds like something a corporate shill would say

>if a FLGS owner has staff, they are probably just as knowledgeable about the stuff as the owner is

That's absurd.

The quote doesn't make sense period. There's nothing objectionable about it unless you're seeking to gain control all of the game stores for your own selfish reasons.

I dont hang around a lot around FLGS:s put I assume that if you wanna work in one, you are probably knowledgeable about the hobbies they purvey.

Indeed, from the quote we dont even know who is trying to replace these store owners or who they want to replace them with!

>Some game stores are owned not just by legal contrivance, but because the owner has detailed knowledge of the domain and the personal loyalty of his coworkers such that it would be difficult or impossible to replace him without his cooperation.

He specifically said owner, not employed staff. Owner. Staff are different, but the owner. It is forcing the rightful owner out of a business he created.

You can bring your problem with the staff to the owner and if you can prove to him that the drawbacks outweight the advantages of this guy, then you have a point. If the guy brings in more money than you can prove he drives away then you do not.

>we dont even know who is trying to replace these store owners or who they want to replace them with!

Does it matter?
The way should be open. It should be possible.
That's all I'm saying.

>The way should be open. It should be possible.
It is, you just have to work there for years and be around when the owner retires/dies.

I cant really discuss this in any deeper way without knowing the context of the quote.

But it's possible. Just buy the store.

It's not a quote, OP just made it up.

So...we impeach store owners?

Wow, this is the weirdest bait I've ever seen.

It's the lizardmen, they got the government all locked down now, next up are game stores.

Go back to /v/

Well shit, why am I wasting my time on this then...

I can agree with this somewhat

I think a lot of people can relate with stories about local stores that are run by some neckbeard who just likes Veeky Forums things and so he stocks what he likes and makes his store a clubhouse for his neckbeard friends. The store will usually last for like 5 years and then shutdown to be taken over by better offerings.

If the owner is already knowledgeable in the subject matter, it's already in the hands of our friends. Our betters, even, for while we might drive it to the extremes of the knife's edge and destroy the very thing we seek control for our benefit, a more knowledgeable and experienced, tempered and moderate owner would be able to keep it accessible to the widest branch of customers, ensuring the store's survival.

Without knowing more it's impossible to go deeper into detail without speculation. doesn't exactly provide context, and might as well be advocating Communism rather than this highly specific "open-source lgs" assertion, which itself is a really stupid goddamned idea. Basically, it's bait.

Is this a /v/ meme I'm unaware of? Never touch that place.

>Some game stores are owned not just by legal contrivance, but because the owner has detailed knowledge of the domain
I think he means store manager.

>and the personal loyalty of his coworkers such that it would be difficult or impossible to replace him without his cooperation.
If he did mean Manager (Not owner) then the whole thing makes sense. And indeed it is true.

>The store will usually last for like 5 years and then shutdown to be taken over by better offerings.

Except that it's been proven that catering to casuals and people who aren't into the hobby, trying to drive out the "neckbeards" and replace them with "normal people" has always been a bad business practice.

But, how do I acquire the stores if the owner does not want to sell them?

Make your own, you fucking pussy.

I am extremely fucking confused by what your purpose is. You want to take peoples stores from them because you don't like them? You either buy them out or make your own better store to steal their patronage. You don't get to "replace" someone at their own business they own and created.

You offer them more money.

Either start your own store, work there until he/she retires and take over or outright make them an offer and buy them out. They started it, they own it.

Just.. What?